PDA

View Full Version : Game is too frustrating in current form (.905)

L337GTIMKV
02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Ok after trying another warrior class after the latest patch with the "melee" changes, I just rage-quit the game yet again due to the excessive frustration this game presents after a certain time.. Some of the causes of this are bugs I'm sure.. others are gross balance issues.

My char is level 20 if that helps and has failed 6 towns in a row due to RIDICULOUSLY overpowered town attacks. Two of which spawned a virtual horde of level 25 enemies directly in the center of the town (Which should NEVER happen with the townpeople as utterly pathetic as they are..) Bear in mind I was level 19 when this happened!! Can you say insta-fail!?

Issues I've noticed thus far: (Up to level 20 with Pure-melee)

1) Procs are almost catagorically broken.. The ONLY proc I've seen work is haste on being hit, and the proc chances are so stupidly low I only saw that like..... twice? Procs are one element to this game was intrigued me the most, and having them broken is seriously hampering my enjoyment of it. PLEASE FIX THEM. (And buff the proc chances..)

2) Some mobs are laughably overpowered and/or broken.. Some that immediately come to mind are ANY dark elf caster mob.. But especially the damn disciple class (All of them..) The disciple can cast every second, does STUPID amounts of damage.. Has life-steal AND mana-drain.. and that is NON-CHAMPION!!! Oh.. And of course they are far far FARRRRRRR too common in some levels. (Like groups of five..) The other mob that actually just caused me to quit are Liches, which can res other mobs THROUGH FRIGGIN WALLS!!! And so fast you literally can't move if you are in a tight corridor as they rez as fast as you can kill if not faster... Common Steven.. Through walls.. Really!?

3) Items scaling... I know you just tweaked the scaling, but it is still not even close to keeping up with the stupidness of the mob difficulty spikes at like 10ish.. Also, your "uniques" are almost worse than rares in most cases, as their mods are far too weak. (Same issue in DoP..) Please see my suggestion in my other thread regarding this...

3a) Resists need to be more effective and some mods need to be looked at as they make no sense.. (Hit point bonuses come to mind as they are lower numerically than vitality bonues, which can give you like 5 HP per point AND stamina/regen!) HP bonues should be MUCH higher to compensate for only raising one element of the vitality stat. Same can be said for stamina bonuses come to think of it.

4) Fix proc's..

5) Skill balance/usefullness... Some skills are way more useful than others at the same skill cost.. Indeed, there are entire skill trees which no sane person would ever consider cuz there skills just make no sense whatsoever in comparison with other trees.. Berzerk skill comes to mind.. It grows in damage FAR too slowly given the stupidly ridiculous defense penalty that comes with it.. (The penalty almost grows FASTER than the skills damage..) On the flip side of this is the one-hit wonder barbed arrow skill, which grows stupidly fast and has 3 bonuses! A good skill balance pass is definately needed prior to release, if not two passes.

6) More interesting elemental damage on weapons.. Please give having elemental damage on our weapons some sort of purpose and side-effect possibility to make it more fun.. As in it's present form, it's dull as rocks and can actually damage our DPS, as most skills only enhance PHYSICAL damage... Make having cold damage actually have a chance of slowing mobs and/or shoot little ice shards (AoE) that scale depending on the amount of cold damage on the weapon etc.. Same with electric damage.. Make it stun mobs or something instead of just sitting there looking stupid... These are just examples of course, but something needs to be done to spice it up.

7) Fix proc's plox.. =P

8) Quests should not start at such stupidly deep levels at the beginning of a town, and need to be alittle more progressive instead of the game just throwing a metric buttload of random quests at the very beginning, which in some cases can make the town unwinnable almost instantly. In fact, I had JUST started a new town and within 10 seconds the town was under attack and I lost before I could even get my starting quests! Make only a few quests at the beginning, and then introduce more as you play. (And preferably have the beginning quests be for dungeon level 93282093829382 and up)

9) Strenghthen town NPC's DRAMATICALLY.. They are laughably weak even still after your latest fixes. (They are much tougher now, but them hitting mobs for 0-1 damage isn't getting the job done.) One nasty mob can wipe out your entire town easily.. That shouldn't be the case... (Especially when you hit the ridiculously overpowered trap door, and within 5 seconds and like clockwork your town is attacked.. O.o)

10) Too many cursed items.. (All maps, not just "cursed" ones.)

11) Make the new town totems multi-use and teach the townspeople how to use them.. I almost lol'd when I used the regen totem I made, and learned that it is only one use and only lasts only 20 seconds... And that leads me to...

12) Buff length needs to be much longer, as most are nigh useless as they are too short to be useful. (Mostly referring to totems and such..) 2 minutes should be a minimum, if not more.

13) The new passive regen for vitality is a total waste of code in it's present form, as it's FAR too weak and scales laughably slowly.. My suggestion is make it much more noticeable (Make investing in Vitality enjoy noticable improvements in regen..) and possibly make it scale inherantly with character level.. (Possibly with scaling being accelerated for melee characters?)

14) Regarding the totems.. Why when a NPC gathers the needed ingredients to complete it (Cuz we get NOWHERE near enough time generally..) I fail the quest, but the NPC doesn't complete it for me? (Meaning we get no totem.. Even though the NPC gathered what we needed to complete it..)

15) Where is the Jewlery? It's farrrrrr too rare.

That is all I got for now..

I have to say that I really do like this game alot and have very high hopes for it. The recent Melee enhancements really helped alot (Save for the regen) There are just a few glaring issues that really need to be hammered out for it be fun after a certain level.

P.S. I am sorry if this post sounds angry.. I just had a 9 hour session with it as a melee, and the above issues just were too much.. (The Lich issue was the "straw"(TM)).

FloodSpectre
02-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm surprised by how many problems you've been having that I never do, as a fellow melee player. I'm not trying to be contrary here, I'm just throwing out my own personal experiences in regards to yours.

First off, procs seem to go off reasonably often for me. I had a frost nova proc that reliably went off once in every 30 or so hits, which is way more than the 2% the item claimed. The main issue I have with them is that I really have no idea what some of them do.

Dark Elves no longer cause me trouble after the patch that toned them down, and they're are extra easy on a map where you can manually get out of the way of their attacks too. Liches, on the other hand... they die easily, but the resurrection through walls trick is very annoying. I completely agree with you there. Some champions are insanely powerful too. I had a Major Giant Life Steal Orc that just annihilated me in two hits each time I ran into him.

As for items, I agree that a number of unique and set items are a bit underpowered. Jewelry is definitely too rare, and HP mods probably should be higher. I don't understand your complaint about cursed items though, as those curses are fairly minor in comparison to reduced requirements for use. As a rogue, and weapon that has a -4 to Spirit curse might as well not be cursed at all.

I agree about skills too. A lot of these need rebalancing and I feel there could be more synergy between specializations too. Make Concentration: Poison work with ranged weapons too so we can use it with the poisoned arrow skills. Slice and Rupture are very similar, but in terms of benefit per point you might as well never use Rupture.

There are other posts about quests that are too deep in the dungeon. I don't think it's really an issue because "failure" isn't exactly what happens when you don't get to them in time. The game evolves based on this, it's not the end of the world. I've also only ever lost one town to an attack, and that was because no one could actually give me the quest to replace important npcs. Otherwise, attacks are never a problem. Finally, I've never failed a quest to gather the ingredients needed for a totem (though I have for the generic "gather this" quests).

The new passive regen is something I haven't actually seen do anything... I have an item that regens 1.1 and I see that working, but I'm really unable to notice any Vit regen.

viper34j
02-24-2010, 05:20 PM
L337GTIMKV, do you mind posting on the game difficulty census I started up (the link is below)? I'm trying to get a list together for Steven (Stephen?) to look at.

Thanks!

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969

cthonic
02-25-2010, 10:41 AM
-Procs now work fine for me, but they were totally broken in 903 I think. Make sure you're using the newest patch.

-There are plenty of worthless skills, in fact I think I'll be making a post detailing them soon.

-Uniques almost suck by rule, unless you get one that happens to be above your level. Set items are especially pathetic, especially in terms of the bonuses they grant for gathering several pieces.

-Unrealistic as it is, town NPCs really should scale in accordance with world level. 40 HP in a level 15 town is terribad and can result in a loss before you can even scramble to a gate.

GeorgiaBoy
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
[QUOTE=cthonic;11121-Uniques almost suck by rule, unless you get one that happens to be above your level. Set items are especially pathetic, especially in terms of the bonuses they grant for gathering several pieces.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Maybe using VeryRare Items as a base the Uniques instead of Base Items? It would be nice to have Uniques server as a base for the next level all the way up to legendary.

As for Sets, would it be possible to make the indivdual pieces of any base quality (Normal through Legendary)?

GB

viper34j
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
My understanding about the weapon rarity is that with each additional level of rarity you get more magical properties, and thats about it. The damage range and armor range of items don't seem to change much between the raritys (it may appear so at times due to some of the properties augmenting them, like bonus armor % or damage %).

Weapon: HandAxe
Rarity: White (Normal)
Damage Min-Range: 3-8
Damage Max-Range: 6-12
Magical Properties: 0

Rarity: Green (Common)
Magical Properties: 1 - 2

Rarity: Green (Uncommon)
Damage Min-Range: 5-9
Damage Max-Range: 7-13

Rarity: Yellow (Rare)
Magical Properties: 2 - 3

Rarity: Yellow (Very Rare)

Rarity: Orange (Elite)
Magical Properties: 3 - 5

Rarity: Light Blue (Set)
Magical Properties: 4 - 6

Rarity: Purple (Artifact)
Damage Min-Range: 6-10
Damage Max-Range: 8-15

Rarity: Blue (Legendary)
Damage Min-Range: 6 - 10
Damage Max-Range: 8 - 15
Magical Properties: 5 - 7

GeorgiaBoy
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
My understanding about the weapon rarity is that with each additional level of rarity you get more magical properties, and thats about it. The damage range and armor range of items don't seem to change much between the raritys (it may appear so at times due to some of the properties augmenting them, like bonus armor % or damage %).

Rarity: White (Normal)
Magical Properties: 0

Rarity: Green (Common)

Rarity: Green (Uncommon)

Rarity: Yellow (Rare)

Rarity: Yellow (Very Rare)

Rarity: Orange (Elite)
Magical Properties: 3 - 5

Rarity: Light Blue (Set)

Rarity: Purple (Artifact)
Damage Min-Range: 6-10
Damage Max-Range: 8-15

Rarity: Blue (Legendary)
Damage Min-Range: 6 - 10
Damage Max-Range: 8 - 15
Magical Properties: 5 - 7

Yep. It would be nice if the Damage Min-Max would increase.