PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid combos

Ikarius
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
So,
I'm curious which hybrid combos folks have played which seem to have good synergy, and at what character level they seem to "come into" their power. Also, I'm curious how folks feel about the various trees.

I'm currently playing Assassin/Magician, but because the stats are so different, it feels like it may end up underpowered.

Trees that look interesting to me:

Healer - when isn't healing ability useful?
Trickster - great on the utility side, doesn't look so great on the damage dealing side.
Weaponmaster - lots of melee dmg bonuses and abilities.
Hunter - solid ranged damage with serrated arrow, and traps look useful
Ice Mage - freezing enemies is always good, ranged damage to boot.
Magician - TELEPORT. And some ranged DPS. Anyone care to comment how effective the ranged DPS spells in this tree are?

dnuggs40
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I tried paladin + defender...so far it's pretty good but I think I am going to re-roll because there some overlap there and neither tree has an attack that hits multiple enemies.

I think I'm going to try weapon master + paladin next...

Aganazer
02-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Magician - TELEPORT. And some ranged DPS. Anyone care to comment how effective the ranged DPS spells in this tree are?

Magician's Arcane Swarm is really really cool. One of my favorite damage spells in the game. The only problem is that there is no Arcane Mastery skills so the potential is somewhat limited long term. I haven't tried Arcane Focus since it was adjusted so it may be an okay substitute for a mastery skill. The shield skill is handy as well as is teleport.

I'd say half my hybrids end up being Healer/* for obvious reasons. Prayer is just godly.

Druid is actually an excellent support selection for any primary. The strength buff is nice. Earthlink adds health and poison resist for cheap. Mana regen helps with one of the game's most precious commodities(mana). If I remember correctly, tornado was one of the strongest AOE skills in the game. I was a little disappointed in the animal forms though. Too short and not effective enough to justify the points and loss of skills while using it.

Ikarius
02-24-2010, 05:23 PM
How ugly is MAD? (multiple attribute dependency)

i.e. fighter/caster, you end up wanting physical stats AND int...

viper34j
02-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Ha, I like the acronym.

One thing that I've noticed is that MAD effects almost every character negatively except for Magic/Magic hybrids. When you can just load up on Int and Spirit every level you become exceedingly powerful. However, as soon as you become a physical damage character you are required to put points into Str, Dex, Vit, and possibly Int or Spirit. This seems to be one of the bigger reasons why ranged casters are so powerful...

Cadfan
02-24-2010, 06:16 PM
How ugly is MAD? (multiple attribute dependency)

i.e. fighter/caster, you end up wanting physical stats AND int...
It depends on a lot of factors.

I have a weaponmaster/fire mage. She never, ever runs out of mana. Her style is to attack with weapons, and cast spells to boost herself. The weaponmaster mana bonus is free mana on every hit, and she gets back almost as much mana as she puts in. On the other hand, she needs a lot of strength to qualify for good armor, and she needs a lot of dexterity to stay accurate. This leaves only a few points for vitality.

Things might be different if I played a class with a less powerful mana generating skill, but most melee classes have a good way to create mana. Sometimes its hidden a bit, its usually there. And since the attacks that melee classes use don't scale in mana cost as they get more powerful, once you have enough mana, you don't need more.

cthonic
02-25-2010, 01:13 PM
S
Trees that look interesting to me:

Healer - when isn't healing ability useful?
Trickster - great on the utility side, doesn't look so great on the damage dealing side.
Weaponmaster - lots of melee dmg bonuses and abilities.
Hunter - solid ranged damage with serrated arrow, and traps look useful
Ice Mage - freezing enemies is always good, ranged damage to boot.

-Healer is good. Combine with a caster and never worry about Mana again.

-Trickster has very little synergy imo. Stealth is his trick pony, so find another class that can abuse it.

-Weaponmaster synergizes well with several other classes (Assassin) on paper. In practice you'll be pretty flimsy.

-There's no reason to hybrid a Hunter. Bow Mastery + Serrated breaks the game, and that means just be a Ranger.

-Ice Mage synergies with Healers and Summoners well.

-Teleport isn't that big of a deal.

Ikarius
02-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh, one complaint here- It literally costs you MONEY to put points in skills then back them out without ever leaving the skill screen. What the heck?

This is annoying, because on a lot of skills, it's not clear which bits of the skill get better as you level the skill, so making an initial decision about whether or when to invest in the skill is difficult- especially deeper skills. To be penalized for checking which parts of a skill go up and by how much is annoying.

viper34j
02-25-2010, 02:54 PM
Hmm... a skill screen "Commit" button would be cool. At the bottom of the screen it would indicate how much the skill changes would cost. If the cost is more than you have in your inventory then the Commit button is grey.

Nice idea

Gutsman
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
My weaponmaster/paladin is doing well. He's my highest level character now at 28. Doubling up on mace mastery and whirlwinding it up with a 2-handed hammer. Regeneration is nice, of course. And I've got my Stunning Blows up high enough to chain-stun bosses to death fairly regularly.

Trickster seems to work well with any pet class. You can lead your pet(s) around while stealthed then mix it up when they get agro. And you can use our "minus hate" skills will make the mobs attack your pets. Haven't gotten my trickster/warlock up too high, though. Pets still don't scale well as you level even after the last patch.

Anything plus Healer is usually OP :)