PDA

View Full Version : First Impressions and Feedback

Howler
02-28-2010, 03:35 PM
I purchased the game this morning and have played with several character variations. I like the game a lot so far. Here are my notes from this morning's sessions running Windows version .906:

- Feature Request: Auto-pickup coins
Configurable option in the settings menu to auto-pickup coins when you walk near them.

- Inventory GUI Issue
The inventory opens on top of the 3 item right-click hotbar. Maybe make the bags open up a bit more to the left or move the hotbar.

- NPC Quest GUI Issue
Need a scroll bar in the list of available quests from an NPC when that list grows larger than the fixed window size.

- Feature Request: Right-click Hotbar GUI Bindable Keys
Consider adding 3 bindable keys for the right-click hotbar items so they can be selected by keypress or mouse buttons. Use of one of these bindable keys would just make that position rotate into the bottom slot, not actually fire it off. This would be in addition to the current methods of selection, not a replacement.

- Question: Does lighting torches actually do anything? Doesn't seem to change fog of war or have any other significant effect.
Edit: After encountering a dungeon with the world modifier 'Darkness', I found torches to be much more useful ;)

- Question: I dual boot with bootcamp between Mac OS X and Windows. Do I have to buy two versions of the game to play on my machine or can I get a download link for the Mac version as well?

- Difficulty Feedback
During the early levels of the game this seems to be just about right. It might be a little too easy, but I expect it to get harder later in the dungeon.

- Targeting Issues
I have some problems getting targeting to function well. There are two scenarios that do work well for me and a third that doesn't.

a) One or more monsters are on the screen and I hit an attack key without aiming. A monster will be selected automatically and this works great.

b) I hover over a monster with the mouse and hit an attack key or right click. This also usually works well.

c) Target switching via the 'E' key. This rarely worked in my tests. I could have a screen full of monsters, press 'E', and the game failed to target anything. I could also have at least one monster engaged and try hitting 'E'. In that second scenario I would sometimes switch targets, but usually not. I don't know why this is failing to work so often.

- "Can't See" Issue
I found a few situations where I would enter a portion of the map, see several monsters down a hallway and try to right-click and launch an attack (hunter's net for example) and the game would tell me 'Can't See'. However, I could switch over to my bow or another weapon and have no problem shooting down the hallway into the monsters. It's not clear to me why this is happening. I "can't see" with one attack, but another one works. I thought it might be a weapon range issue, but doesn't seem to be as best I can tell.

Enjoying the game so far...

Howler
03-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Following up with more testing results:

I played with a friend this evening in direct connect multiplayer. I was running the Windows version and he was running the OS X version, both at .906. It went fairly smoothly except that we experienced a repeating audio problem where Teamspeak (teamspeex on the mac) would begin to echo and become distorted after playing for a bit (maybe 15 - 30 minutes). During the problem, he could hear teamspeak audio clearly, but anything he transmitted would become garbled. To fix, he had to exit the game, restart teamspeak, and restart the game. Just restarting teamspeak alone without restarting the game was insufficient. There appears to be some odd interaction between these two applications. We can run tests if there's something you'd like us to try. The issue reoccurred every time we played.

Animation
03-01-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm adding a few comments and wishlist type things since I'm here.

I tried a Necromancer, and the Skeletons suck bad. I can barely keep one alive. I also tried a Warlock and the scree could at least stay alive for more than 10 seconds and actually fight enemies. Maybe the skeletons get better but ... woof.

Caltrops is a fun skill, but I do wish skill ranks reduced the cooldown, even if it was just 1 second per rank past the first rank. I havent played with more than 3 ranks in it yet, but its a cool skill otherwise. I wonder how maxing the exploding arrow and caltrops would work on a hybrid. :)

In the Sorcerer tree, the initial lightning bolt seemed a lot more mana intensive than the other magic single target attacks I'd tried. It was tolerable, but noticibly heavy. Does it have some side effect or something?

I wish the full overlay map ("M") had larger or more distinctive icons for the up and down stair and other special things. I don't remember if the "M" map is available in town, but if it is, i'd also like bigger/bolder markings for guys with quests or quest turn-ins.

QUESTION: does Fire Mastery add to the Fire Mage spell that adds fire damage to a weapon? Fire Mastery didn't list that skill, and I kinda wanted to make a Fire/Defender character that used a big fire sword powered by fire mastery. I have yet to test it myself. If it doesnt add, then why not? :)

Thanks!

viper34j
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
QUESTION: does Fire Mastery add to the Fire Mage spell that adds fire damage to a weapon? Fire Mastery didn't list that skill, and I kinda wanted to make a Fire/Defender character that used a big fire sword powered by fire mastery. I have yet to test it myself. If it doesnt add, then why not? :)

This sounds like a good synergy item to add. Fire Mastery should increase all fire damage IMO.

Cadfan
03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Regarding the Fire Mage-

Flame Blade is the spell that adds fire damage to your weapon. It is not boosted by mastery. It is, however, really powerful since each rank adds an average of 30% weapon damage, so it doesn't really need Fire Mastery to boost it more.

You can cast it every minute and a half, and it lasts 30 seconds.

I am playing a Weaponmaster / Fire Mage, and it works reasonably well. I fight with the weaponmaster skills, keep Fire Shield on at all times, and use Flame Blade for bosses.

Animation
03-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Too bad the fire blade doesn't stay up all the time. I hate spells on long timers like that. I'd rather them be re-balanced a bit so the damage buff is allowable at all times.

But, I do see the advantage for having a boss-killing skill.

Maruk
03-01-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll add my first impressions too ;)

Yes, the skeleton summon sucks. We are used to fight poor skeletons in hack'n slash games, but this one is really useless.

The falling rocks traps happens REALLY too often in donjons. Plus they are REALLY too powerfull. I'm dying from rocks and not from mobs :( I think that's a shame for an hack'n slash game ^^

Animation
03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I did like the fact that you can (or have to) dig your way out of cave-ins though.

Howler
03-01-2010, 01:17 PM
The falling rocks traps happens REALLY too often in donjons. Plus they are REALLY too powerfull. I'm dying from rocks and not from mobs :( I think that's a shame for an hack'n slash game ^^

/agree

Perhaps reduce the chance of a cave-in/falling rocks by 25%. The damage from them is rough with a brand new character, but maybe after a few levels, it's not as painful later on (unless it scales up)?

viper34j
03-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I absolutely disagree with reducing the cave-in frequency. Cave-ins are rarely the act of random chance. Typically cave-ins are caused by the reckless behavior of the player.

Just because a shinny bunch of explosive barrels look like they need a good killing, doesn't mean that you should. Or at least you should be aware that blowing them up could, and will most likely, cause a cave-in.

Do you find yourself causing casting massive aoe grenades that destroy everything insight? Well, that is going to cause cave-ins that will crush you in your mana-soaked undies.

Did you flip a trigger you shouldn't have? Did you open a trapped chest that you shouldn't have? In Din's Curse, your choices can have consequences...

I play a straight melee character with no aoe that is very cautious, I VERY rarely see any cave-ins.

FloodSpectre
03-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Typically you have more than a little warning that a cave-in will occur as well, so you have a decent opportunity to flee. The exception is with cave-in traps, but even then, if you hear that "trap sprung" click you should probably be running right then.

Cadfan
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
What character are you playing? Some spells cause cave-ins. You may be experiencing more than normal as a result.

Cave-ins typically come from the following:

Earthquakes. If you see these, run out of the shaking area, and you'll avoid damage and the falling rocks.

Traps. Don't step on these. Some are in items, which you can't avoid, but you can dodge the rocks once you hear the noise and see them. In general, if a box clicks ominously when you open it, run. It might not be a cave-in, but running will still help.

Your own spells. Just be careful on these. If the spell is Fireball, try not to cast it point blank too much. If the spell is Earthquake, well, that's the cost you pay for a really powerful spell. Try to have some spare HP and try to dodge.

Aganazer
03-01-2010, 02:14 PM
mana-soaked undies

In Din's Curse, your choices can have consequences...

LOL! And agreed. I actually designed a few characters around specifically not causing cave-ins.

Delilah Rehm
03-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Some worlds have cave-in (or other things like unstable) modifiers. You can see some of the world's modifiers on the map page. I can usually (but not always) outrun cave-ins. Sometimes you can even outrun earthquakes (with little to no hit point loss).

Is there anyone who doesn't pull levers? I swear I pull 99% of any levers (and step on buttons) I see. The exception is when there's an explosive barrel very close to the lever, and then I pull it about 50% of the time anyway. :D I love being surprised at what happens. Sometimes the lever spits out loot like a chest.

Howler
03-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Some worlds have cave-in (or other things like unstable) modifiers. You can see some of the world's modifiers on the map page.

That's good to know. I'll have to check that out on the map tonight.

Is there anyone who doesn't pull levers? I swear I pull 99% of any levers (and step on buttons) I see. The exception is when there's an explosive barrel very close to the lever, and then I pull it about 50% of the time anyway. :D I love being surprised at what happens. Sometimes the lever spits out loot like a chest.

Yep, levers are a near irresistible force that require pulling. The story in the blog of the zombie that pulled a lever and triggered a trapdoor is hilarious.

Gunner
03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
I would really like an auto pickup option for coins. Would really improve my enjoyment of the game.

One thing I notice about inventory management is that my character is usually obscured by the backpack and paper doll screens as I'm putting new items on. This makes it a bit less fun as you use different items because you can't see what they actually look like on your character. Just something to think about :)

Great game overall. Keep up the good work!

incognoscente
03-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Is there anyone who doesn't pull levers?
That would be me. While I was given items by the first levers I pulled, I never trusted them and have stopped touching them entirely. Floor buttons have always been bad news for me so I give them as wide a berth as I can.

I don't like dying.

Delilah Rehm
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow! No levers... I probably wouldn't pull them often if I was playing a hardcore character. Mostly, they don't kill me, but I play on easy.

The other day I went into a room, zapped a naga, and then ran out waiting for the naga to follow. It didn't. After being confused for a moment, I went back into the room and it was healing at a lifestone! :eek: I said, "Oh, I don't think so!" Zapped it two more times and it died.

TheRani
03-01-2010, 11:50 PM
When my characters get killed by cave-ins, they're usually started by enemies, usually while they're fighting other enemies. Off in some section of the dungeon on the other side of a wall from me, there'll be some enemy with a flamethrower fighting some enemy zombie, blasting away, while some orc champion is happily pounding away at the support beams, and some other zombie will be all like, "Brains!" and smashing an exploding barrel. Honestly. It wasn't me..

Archon
03-02-2010, 03:25 AM
- Feature Request: Auto-pickup coins
Configurable option in the settings menu to auto-pickup coins when you walk near them.

Agreed, I love the auto-coin pickup in Torchlight and I think having the option for auto-pickup in Din's Curse would really help. Especially for coins since the only reason why in single player mode a person would decide 'not to' pickup coins would be because there are too many piles on the ground and the process of clicking on each is too tedious at that moment in time. Or they might be roleplaying a pauper or a character that greatly dislikes monies of all sorts :D

- Inventory GUI Issue
The inventory opens on top of the 3 item right-click hotbar. Maybe make the bags open up a bit more to the left or move the hotbar.

Never noticed this one before until I encountered this problem in one of my recent plays. I wanted a flaming oil in the middle slot of the vertical hotbar and had to put it into my bottom bar first then transfer the oil over to the vert bar.

- Question: Does lighting torches actually do anything? Doesn't seem to change fog of war or have any other significant effect.
Edit: After encountering a dungeon with the world modifier 'Darkness', I found torches to be much more useful ;)

Lighting does not do enough in my opinion. I really enjoyed how the developers of Eschalon played with the hit chance of the character depending on how close the player was to a light source and besides that I liked how the tombs and dungeons could be really dark. I don't think Din's needs to be as dark as the dungeons of Eschalon but I would have enjoyed more of a role for light / dark in Din's Curse.

timeh
03-02-2010, 04:15 AM
bags covering the rightclick slots is bad, but worse is trying to work with your stash and inventory at the same time (especially with 14+ slot bags)

you should be able to see all action slots, all bag slots, all stash slots (shared or personal, not both) and the character paperdoll at the same time

Shadow
03-02-2010, 09:54 AM
- Question: I dual boot with bootcamp between Mac OS X and Windows. Do I have to buy two versions of the game to play on my machine or can I get a download link for the Mac version as well?

Right now you would have to since I don't have a way to provide the other version to you.