PDA

View Full Version : Teleportstone Hardcoded?

GeorgiaBoy
03-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Shadow,

I was looking around the file 'other' under items, and there is a Teleport stone. Could you enable this in a patch? I edited the classes.gdb file and it shows up fine, but it just does not work. This would be a good option to have, I think.

Running to the grocery now to brace for the snowdoom...

GB

Kruztee
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Although everybody is entitled to an opinion on the matter, I for one do NOT want to see a teleport stone implemented. I certainly think that the overall difficulty level of the game has been nerfed enough. Perhaps there are still a few monsters and skills that need tweaking, but a teleport stone would make the excitment of finding a gate completely moot. One of the key mechanics of the game is that early on, you're not keen to stray too far from gates/stairs because of a fear of not being able to get back in time to defend a town attack. Teleport stones in conjunction with the already nerfed town attacks would turn the monster incursions into little more than inconveniences. I like losing the odd game.

GeorgiaBoy
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
With modding, you can have it both ways. You can either give it to a starting character or not. Options are good...

GB

Shadow
03-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I am thinking about adding a teleport stone to the game but with a VERY limited use.

Aganazer
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
I am thinking about adding a teleport stone to the game but with a VERY limited use.

The only unlimited teleport that might not break the balance of the game would be one that only works on the same level as you are on. Something like M&M's Loyd's Beacon or Ultima Underworld's Moonstones. You mark the spot you are at and can teleport back to it, but it only works when you're on the same level.

GeorgiaBoy
03-02-2010, 10:36 AM

A long cooldown time or the stone being very expensive. If Din's gets an expansion with overland maps, the teleport stone will come in VERY handy.

GB

Kruztee
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM

BOO!!

:D

Shadow
03-02-2010, 08:48 PM
By limited use, I'm thinking of once per world. It doesn't change too much from how things are now, but you do get an emergency teleport. This presents you with a really big choice. You're in a bad situation, do you use it or save it for something that might be worse later on?

viper34j
03-02-2010, 11:27 PM
By limited use, I'm thinking of once per world. It doesn't change too much from how things are now, but you do get an emergency teleport. This presents you with a really big choice. You're in a bad situation, do you use it or save it for something that might be worse later on?

Once per world? That seems a bit weird... Why not just put it up as a super rare item that only drops from Boss mobs or something? It would work like potions in how a player decides to use it, except that the consumable is a few magnitudes rarer.

Shadow
03-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Once per world? That seems a bit weird... Why not just put it up as a super rare item that only drops from Boss mobs or something? It would work like potions in how a player decides to use it, except that the consumable is a few magnitudes rarer.

I want to make sure it stays rare and doesn't ruin the town being in danger in the long run. It will also force people to use the stone instead of hoarding them.

viper34j
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
It will also force people to use the stone instead of hoarding them.

Why is that a bad thing? If they are sufficiently rare (as in only a very rare drop, not a vendor purchase) then those that are able to hoard them should be able to. Those that hoard the consumable aren't likely to use them willy-nilly anyway.

Maybe the stones should be the reward for a rare and difficult quest from Din? Some kind of chain quest that gets harder as it progresses?

I really feel like any sort of teleport feature should empower the player while maintaining the risk of town attacks. A one shot "magic" teleport from Din each town accomplishes that, but it feels too restrictive. I say let the player decide if he wants to blow 10 towns worth of teleport stones on a single town thats kicking his ***.

(These sort of super rare and super useful items might lead to a bit of meta currency within the game as well. Kinda like the SOJs from Diablo 2. "I'll trade you that Legendary Plate Chestplate your wearing for three Teleportstones.")

Cadfan
03-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I understand the balance problems inherent in letting people teleport back to town at will. I exploited the heck out of that in DoP, to be honest. And there's a fun challenge in rushing back home to save the town, especially now that the town isn't completely screwed if a monster attacks.

But for me, what I really miss in the teleport stone is the ability to go back to very close to where I died. I don't want to teleport to town, I want to teleport away.

Right now you can end up with a very, very long walk between your respawn point and your soulstone. Even though maps aren't much bigger than in DoP, the presence of walls changes the functional size of the map and the distance you have to travel.

I don't know how well a teleport stone that works in only one direction would work from a programming or game design perspective, but maybe its a thought?

Aganazer
03-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't want to teleport to town, I want to teleport away.

That is an awesome idea that doesn't cause town attacks to become imbalanced, but still provides a lot of the convenience of teleporting.

ShaggyMoose
03-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I want to make sure it stays rare and doesn't ruin the town being in danger in the long run. It will also force people to use the stone instead of hoarding them.
Yes, if they can be hoarded it will ruin the tension in a lot of cases.

Kruztee
03-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Being able to teleport right to your soulstone takes the penalty away from dying! I don't get why you would want the game to be that easy. Still, I come from a roguelike background and am used to permadeath in dungeon crawlers.

I thought Borderlands was quite an interesting game, but the lack of ANY kind of penalty for dying just killed my enjoyment of it. Death should be something the player wants to avoid, and I think that there should be significant penalty for dying in Din's Curse. Having to fight through sometimes two or three levels of monsters to retrieve your soulstone accomplishes this quite well.

Just my opinion.

timeh
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
took me ages to actually find the button for the teleport stone, probably needs to be more obvious

you can cast it in town (..?!)

when it's unavailable, you can see a black square behind it like the transparency isn't working

Kruztee
03-04-2010, 04:01 AM
Heh, I never even noticed the teleport stone icon. I assumed it would be an item that a NPC would give you as a reward or incentive. Just tested it out. I don't have the issue on my machine that Timeh has reported above.

It's a bit cheesy, but I don't really mind the way the stone works in its current form. At least its a one shot feature, and deciding on when to use it each game could be kind of fun.

Amberjoy
03-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Are those teleport stones on all levels? I found one on level 1 and every time I left from town to go back down only level one was activated in the listing even though I had made it down to level 5 and had to find the 'inside' stones and travel level by level to get back or down. Annoying. I hadn't checked out all of each level though due to quests. It might also be I'm playing with .902 version I got when paying. Haven't done the patches yet.

Do I do the patches one by one or does the latest cover everything? Thanks in advance.

Kruztee
03-04-2010, 06:11 PM
The latest patch is all you need. I would *strongly* suggest patching as soon as you can. The patch file size is little more than 2Mb.

I think you are confusing the teleport stone (a once only, on demand and instantaneous return to town feature) with gates. The gates can be found on every level of the dungeon and also allow instant travel between the current level and the surface.

Amberjoy
03-04-2010, 07:33 PM
The latest patch is all you need. I would *strongly* suggest patching as soon as you can. The patch file size is little more than 2Mb.

I think you are confusing the teleport stone (a once only, on demand and instantaneous return to town feature) with gates. The gates can be found on every level of the dungeon and also allow instant travel between the current level and the surface.

After posting I did get the lastest patch. I haven't seen, so far, any other isntant travel gates other than the one I found on the first level dungeon with 1 character...yet. Hench my query about finding others on other levels. That would mean a thorugh search on each level when you don't have time due to quests. That little 'bug' annoys me, and getting reputation subtracted for quests I haven't accepted also annoys me. :mad:

timeh
03-04-2010, 11:55 PM
there is plenty of time for the quests