PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore and Cursed Modes

Fosse
03-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm enjoying the beta very much. This is a fun game, Shadow.

Is there a way to activate these without leveling someone to 25? I very much want to play in Hardcore mode, but really do not want to spend the requisite hours "earning" it.

Playing a series of characters on hardcore sounds like tons of fun, but playing in a different mode for hours just to play the way I want to sounds like work.

I've never been a fan of unlockable game modes.

viper34j
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't consider the 25 lvl requirement an "unlock" really. Its more of a trial by fire. I wouldn't recommend ANYONE even attempt HC without at least see the difficulty curve that occurs getting up to 25.

If the think that getting to 25 with a regular char is work, you will be very unhappy once you get a HC to 20 and get one shotted by something that you just didn't think existed...

But, a mod will be released i'm sure that unlocks these for you (GeorgiaBoy?).

Fosse
03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, it is an "unlock," in that I can't play that mode until I accomplish something in the game which requires a non-trivial investment of time.

I think the game interface does a good enough job explaining what the mode means that we don't also need our hands held.

And I feel that grinding a character up to 25 over the course of X hours isn't going to be as fun as playing a series of hardcore mode characters up til level 10 or so (when I typically experience my first death) over those same number of hours.

I'm not worried that I can't get a character up to the requisite level, but I am not nearly as interested in doing so as I am playing Hardcore mode.

I'd love for that option to be in the game itself, but in the meantime I'll await a mod.

Is there a way to edit our characters? I could just make a level 25 guy and then go about playing how I'd like. That'd be great!

Shadow
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
On the new character screen just follow these steps:

Bring down the console by hitting the ~ key.
Type in PlayerHardcore 1 and hit enter.
Get rid of the console again by hitting the ~ key.

Hardcore mode should now be selected.

You can do the same thing for Cursed mode but in line 2 you would use PlayerCursed instead of PlayerHardcore.

Gorgarax
03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Would this same sort of console command work to unlock hardcore and loner in Depths of Peril?

Fosse
03-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks very much! :)

I'm very impressed with the beta so far, and am looking forward to the final game.

Shadow
03-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Would this same sort of console command work to unlock hardcore and loner in Depths of Peril?

It should. For loner you would want to use PlayerLoner

Gorgarax
03-04-2010, 03:13 PM
I can confirm this.