PDA

View Full Version : More Modifers?

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-2010, 03:08 AM
Will more modifiers (item) be added before the final release?

GB

L337GTIMKV
03-05-2010, 05:26 AM
I seriously hope so, as I think itemization is this games single biggest weakness at the moment.

I will be posting a thread regarding this soon.

Shadow
03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
It's possible. I have a huge list that I could do, are there any high priority ones you guys would like to see?

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
It's possible. I have a huge list that I could do, are there any high priority ones you guys would like to see?

Apologies for not being specific, but whatever is easiest and adds the most variety. Maybe his can wait until after release to zap more bugs?

GB

L337GTIMKV
03-05-2010, 12:51 PM
NO.. This can't wait until after release.. It's too integral to the games fun level...

I have a few off the top of my head though..

1) additional ranks to skills
2) mage-specific mods (As it is.. Mages really don't benefit much at all from gear, which IMHO is horridly unfair..)
3) + to all stats (ala diablo..)
4) Lifesteal and manasteal (Aside from the proc..)
5) Procs that go higher than level 2.. (These may already exist, I just haven't gotten high enough to see them..)
6) More proc types would be nice.
7) Mod strength (Attribute bonuses..) needs to be un-nerfed and I have zero clue why you did that to begin with.

IMHO what is even more important than adding new effects is making the items we have now better.. As it stands, the ONLY item worth anything are rares and V-Rares as sadly the Set items and uniques are mostly rubbish...

My honest suggestion would be to either 1) Spend some time making sets/uniques worth picking up, or 2) Eliminate them totally and make new "rare" (Randomly generated) tiers that are inherantly more powerful than the current VRares (With more mods preferably..) This would also add some wonderment level as the stats would be randomized rather than predictable.. (Predictability sucks major donkey nutz in a game like this..)

I can honestly say that copy-pasting your uniques/sets from DoP was a really really bad move, as they were utter rubbish in that game also. =(

This game is a more pure hack and slash game than DoP was, and having dull/boring loot would be catastrophic to it's longevity.

Thanks for listening. =)

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I can honestly say that copy-pasting your uniques/sets from DoP was a really really bad move, as they were utter rubbish in that game also. =(

I am in the long, slow process of making an item mod. I would rather have Shadow work on the engine instead of doing grunt work thta I am doing (or anybody else) for that matter. Editing systems.gdb can strengthen the uniques, sets, artifacts, and legendaries.

I do like your ideas for modifiers, though. More Diablo-like modifiers are great.

@Shadow: Maybe post that ever-long list of yours on the forumsso we can see if we could help whittle it down?

GB

Cadfan
03-05-2010, 02:39 PM
The unique items aren't that bad per se. The real problem is that everyone naturally trends towards using weapons with the +[huge number]% damage mod, and armor with the +[huge number]% armor mod.

This also has the effect of making most weapons and armor pieces irrelevant. I may start using Weapon X, then find Weapon Y which is technically better, but unless its got the +[huge number]% damage mod, I'm not going to ever use it. My existing weapon with the huge bonus is too good to be beaten by a new item a mere one, two, or three item steps above me.

I don't know if that's really a problem, or if so what should be done, its just something I've noticed.

FloodSpectre
03-05-2010, 08:42 PM
I agree with Cadfan, the uniques aren't garbage, it's just that other items tend to overshadow them due to huge damage and armor boosts. I think set bonuses are rather weak when compared to Diablo 2 or Titan Quest though.

I second the first six of L337's points in his post, though I'm not quite clear what was meant by #7. Here are some of my ideas:

1: I mentioned in another thread that trap/earthquake/cave-in related defense and dodge bonuses could be cool.

2: Bonuses unique to uniques and set gear can be interesting; playing into the second difficulty level of Titan Quest you found gear that gave you some unique and typically powerful procs that you couldn't find on any other item in the game. This was often the reason I'd use certain gear over others with superior stats.

3: More set completion bonuses, or make them more significant. There's a set that grants maybe 15 points of poison resistance when completed, for example. I don't see much incentive to complete the set with such a paltry completion bonus.

4: Percentile-based improvements to stats. This might be something to restrict to rares and better quality items. I'd love an item with +10% defense, or even +5% max HP. Just keep the percentages low enough to keep things from getting too ridiculous...

5: Non-physical damage boosts. I haven't seen a single item in the game that grants, for example, +25% fire damage or +10% poison damage.

6: Thorns-type effects. An item that reflects 20% of all melee damage you take, and one for ranged damage. Another that reflects elemental damage.

timeh
03-06-2010, 12:17 AM
more items with -cast time, even tho i think it's bugged (-22% cast time staff makes greater heal take the same time to cast as normal heal, removes casting bar, and ONLY appears on low level drops from what i've seen)

getter77
03-06-2010, 01:03 PM
In terms of just plain crazy possibilities, though I think I mentioned it before, there's always having equipment capable of influencing the World Modifiers themselves.

FloodSpectre
03-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I think I get what L337 meant about attribute bonuses now. I have a character in the low 30s getting level-appropriate gear with bonuses to any of the five attributes, but these bonuses still haven't managed to clear the single digit levels. I've never seen something give more than +8 to any stat, and that's not too huge a bonus when you have 120 in your primary stat.

I've also come up with an odd weapon-based modifier, but I question how well it would work with the current design of attack skills and their tendency to almost exclusively boost physical damage with no effect on elemental damage. Well, I'll throw my idea out there regardless.

How about a mod which greatly reduces the physical damage of a weapon (say -80%) and then adds a large, single elemental or magical damage bonus (maybe 120% of the weapon's original damage)? It should also prevent the weapon from spawning with any physical damage bonus modifiers, considering they'd be fairly useless in conjunction with the new mod. To balance things out a little, the item could have much lower durability, a higher repair cost, or be impossible to repair like obsidian and crystal. If the latter choice were used, you call the modifier "Ephemeral", but I haven't considered a possible name for a variant that CAN be repaired.

Of course, a weapon like this would be more variable in its usefulness if more non-champion monsters possessed some specific elemental resistances. I kind of think that would be cool though.

L337GTIMKV
03-07-2010, 02:49 AM
A few patches ago, Shadow reduced the stat bonuses on items (It was in the patch notes..) I still have no idea why he decided to do this, as again.. Loot is dull as rocks now.

I seriously hope he fixes this before release.. I've given some suggestions, but he hasn't responded to them as of yet.

Shadow
03-07-2010, 11:32 AM
A few patches ago, Shadow reduced the stat bonuses on items (It was in the patch notes..) I still have no idea why he decided to do this, as again.. Loot is dull as rocks now.

I seriously hope he fixes this before release.. I've given some suggestions, but he hasn't responded to them as of yet.

I changed it so different modifiers would be more in line with one another. Now that that is true, I might boost them all.

I do have a bunch of things on my list that regard items. I'm getting there, just a lot to do.

GeorgiaBoy
03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi Shadow,

With all of the things you need to do in beta, I am sure all of the modifiers on the huge list would not make it by release. Maybe all the modifiers before the final patch?

GB

L337GTIMKV
03-08-2010, 01:08 AM
Thank you Steven for you response, it's as always much appreciated.. I don't mean to sound negative or angry and I apologize if I do.. I just really want to this game to be awesome. =)

With one of the best devs I've ever come across creating it, I have tons of faith that it will be!

It's awesome to hear that this is on the list!

interesting
03-08-2010, 10:52 AM
increase walking speed %
increase attack speed %
increase casting speed %

life steal %, either close or long range
mana steal %, either close or long range

critical hit chance increase %

passive regeneration %

Valgor
03-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I miss items that grant your character skills he/she usually wouldn't have access to.
For example, maybe there's an elite cape called "Cloak of Shadows" that allows a character use of Level 3 Stealth, regardless of their class or speciality combination.

Titan Quest had these kind of modifiers on some of its unique items, sometimes even skills that you'd find nowhere else in the game.

FloodSpectre
03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
increase attack speed %
increase casting speed %
critical hit chance increase %
passive regeneration %

Pretty sure all of these already exist in the game. I've only ever seen the casting speed bonus once though, and regen, both mana and health, tend to be fairly common.

timeh
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Pretty sure all of these already exist in the game. I've only ever seen the casting speed bonus once though, and regen, both mana and health, tend to be fairly common.

cast speed is in, and for a while only existed on low level staves

i read something in the notes about it being fixed, tho i haven't bothered to find which toon has the item to test it out

i feel mana regen items scale too high.. to the point where you can gain mana faster than you can use it (depends on build... spamming lightning bolts is a sure way to run out) with just 2-3 bits

Valgor
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
i feel mana regen items scale too high.. to the point where you can gain mana faster than you can use it (depends on build... spamming lightning bolts is a sure way to run out) with just 2-3 bits

I thought mana stops regenerating while in combat...

DeathKnight1728
03-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Back when it was 9.01 and the monsters moved faster, a bunch of monsters used a spell or something and made a ragnar like 5 times it's size. I looked at the thing and was like how am i supposed to fight that; it's like fighting a dragon.

I think there should be a modifier that if you choose it, you get a boost of exp bonus; but.....monsters have a chance of being literally like giants. I mean that there could be monsters that are really tough and huge like the description i gave above. Just thought it'd be kinda cool of a modifier. It'd be like fighting a dragon or something.

viper34j
03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I agree with DeathKnight. There just don't seem to be any super massive bosses anymore. I know that probably happened because enough people complained about being one shotted by a monster with some combination of buffs.

Some sort of super massive boss quest needs to be added. It would some how need to be optional since I'd think that not everyone would be able to defeat the monster.

Shadow
03-09-2010, 10:55 AM
There is a giant monster enhancement still.

I am thinking of some super boss type quests that I might add.

Gutsman
03-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I killed a really huge skeleton warrior a couple nights ago with my necromancer. Had a massive size buff on him, or something like that. He was an elite mob, though, not a boss.

I got him as a pet with raise dead, too. That was cool. But he disappeared when I gated back to town. Can massive characters not exist in town?

Aganazer
03-09-2010, 04:14 PM
super massive boss

And all Steven needs to render are the feet since they are so massive. :D

Shadow
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
I got him as a pet with raise dead, too. That was cool. But he disappeared when I gated back to town. Can massive characters not exist in town?

There isn't anything that prevents a giant coming to town. Something else must have happened.

PixelLord
03-09-2010, 06:13 PM
There is a giant monster enhancement still.

I am thinking of some super boss type quests that I might add.

Just don't make it a spider <shudder> I'm an arachniphobe! Those things creep me out so bad... :P

DeathKnight1728
03-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Your not alone with the spiders. I kill em so fast just so i dont have to look at them.

FloodSpectre
03-27-2010, 06:57 PM
On the original topic, I thought of a few ideas...

1. A modifier granting the same type of effect as the Light Step skill. Maybe only have it on certain unique items though. I like the idea of having a Light Step effect coupled with stealth.

2. A proc that temporarily dispels one effect on an enemy. It could remove a totem-granted bonus or briefly cancel out one of a champion's bonus modifiers.

3. A proc that casts shrink. Mostly for fun, really...

4. For some unique items, add an indestructible modifier for infinite durability. It'd be pretty cool to have one set that grants this bonus for all your gear...

5. A +x% elemental damage effect. It basically adds elemental damage in relation to the amount of damage you managed to inflict on an attack. If I had a bonus of +5% fire damage and inflicted 40 physical damage, it'd give me a bonus 2 fire damage on top of that.

6. Items that give a bonus in relation to your level. Something like +10 attack per level, +.2% Crushing Blow per level, or +1 health per level.

7. Projectile dodging modifiers, giving you a passive chance to "dodge" any ranged attack. This might be superfluous if defense works against ranged attacks, but I have to admit having not noticed yet.

8. As an alternative to life/mana leech, you could add items that give a flat regen bonus for each kill.

9. Monster-specific Ego bonuses for armor. They could either give a large defense or armor bonus against a type of enemy.

10. Thorns-type effects on armor. Enemy takes 10% of damage inflicted, or a flat damage retaliation, such as inflicting 15 damage for every hit they land on you. This could be varied a little more by causing the retaliatory damage to sometimes be elemental instead of physical. For even more variability, have some thorns effects work only with melee, only with ranged attacks or only with elemental or physical damage. The more limited types should have a greater retaliation effect to compensate though.

11. Reduced effect time on negative status effects you're hit with. Poison that lasts 30 seconds might be reduced by 20%, giving you only 24 seconds of damage instead. This modifier shouldn't affect slippery surface and surprise penalty effects though.

udm
03-27-2010, 10:48 PM
I always thought it'd be quite a novelty to see it rain in the dungeon. Maybe the modifier can be called "Leaky Ceilings". And when lightning strikes (you hear it but you don't see it), cave-ins are abound :D