PDA

View Full Version : Additional non-magical treasure types?

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Besides equipable items and copper, silver, and gold, could other treasure types be added (all stackable)? Examples:

Platinum Coins
Gems (non-magical, highest item stackability)
Ingots of various metals
Nuggets of various metals
Mining of copper, silver, gold, other metals?

Others?

Ideas?

GB

GeorgiaBoy
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
@ Shadow: Could these be modded in?

Shadow
03-08-2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah, this is something that could be modded in. What you describe is basically just stackable items that have some build in worth without having any other direct benefit.

timeh
03-08-2010, 10:02 AM
if they don't do anything, what's the point?

it's just more assets and code, more crap to sort through (on the floor and in the shop), and doesn't add anything to the gameplay

trim the fat

having copper, silver, gold falls in the same bucket. a single currency type might seem unrealistic in the real world, but it works pretty damn well and 9/10 people wouldn't care, because having it doesn't change anything

personally i prefer to see "3000 gold" than "30 silver, 0 copper"

viper34j
03-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I like the idea of having high value ingots. There needs to be some way of moving wealth between characters.

interesting
03-08-2010, 10:38 AM
I would like to add "gems" to equipments, making them stronger based on a %, that is dependent on type and rarity of such "gem", call it anything you want. Those gems could be mined as well, in rare, random veins. They could be protected by monsters, opportunities for quests.

I would like the idea of mining in the dungeon for ores, then smelting it for ingots, such as iron, dull copper, copper, bronze, silver, golden, adamantite, mithril, verite, valorite, agapite, you name it, could be something completely new.
Those minerals would be used for crafting, repairing items of that type and so on.
It was fun in Ultima Online. In Gothic series, the magic minerals fueled the wars against the "evil". It had a lot of lore justification, people would go deeper into the dungeons for the best minerals, but also facing greater dangers... Dwarfs in Lord of the Rings...

I would like to upgrade my equips from +1, +2, etc... up to +10.
Each upgrade requiring rare materials and having a chance of failure, changing the armor value for armor, defense for shields, and damage for weapons..
With each upgrade, you increase the intensity of the visual magic effect by a corresponding fraction.

I would like to see some kind of intrinsic essence dropped from monsters.
If its a monster and its an evil creature of some sort, every time you kill it, some kind of soul/essence drops. This could be used for a variety of things and effects. This would justify a lot of metagaming. From increasing a skilll, regenerating hp, restoring some broken items, recharging limited casts or certain effects in magical items, enchanting, or even trading with other creatures.

Ive seen this concept used in "Space Rangers 2" many years ago, I recommended it for Hellgate London to no avail, and recently "Demons Souls" used it.

GeorgiaBoy
03-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Yeah, this is something that could be modded in. What you describe is basically just stackable items that have some build in worth without having any other direct benefit.

I do not see gold, silver, or copper pieces listed under any of the Items subcategories. Where would I add these items (under the base Money, I suppose)?

Thanks,

GB

Shadow
03-09-2010, 10:28 AM
If you want an item to have some value just add a line to it's database entry like this:

BaseValue 50

The number is in copper. The value in game won't match this exactly though since the game ramps prices a bit.

GeorgiaBoy
03-09-2010, 03:00 PM
If you want an item to have some value just add a line to it's database entry like this:

BaseValue 50

The number is in copper. The value in game won't match this exactly though since the game ramps prices a bit.

Under which item file/category would ingots be placed under? Other? I guess I would copy the syntax from another item? How would I be able to maintain the resale value of an ingot and have a special vendor sell it (say a smelter)?

GB