PDA

View Full Version : Weapon wielding anomaly

Funky
03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Little something that i found ;)
If i cannot equip a bow because i dont have enough dex, a dex elixir comes in handy. This is fine as its great to have an ability to equip better wep for short time when things get rough. But seems a bit odd that after influence of elixir wears off, weapon stays wielded and allthough its icon is now colored red, performance is not affected. I was expecting it'll start doing low damage like damaged weapon does.

HTH

FloodSpectre
03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
This is actually intentional. I believe the reasoning was that you can be cursed and have your stats reduced, and you wouldn't want that to forcibly un-equip your gear. Due to this, it works the other way around too. If your stat is raised and you equip and item, and then the stat returns to normal, you're able to still use the item.

timeh
03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
surely there's a way to make the game realise you have the extra stats from a buff potion and to not take them into account when putting on gear

a level 35 character can equip a 174dps 1h axe by stacking STR and DEX then drinking lvl 35 pots of STR and DEX

that kinda ruins the point, for me, which is the loot grind... if you can wear stuff you literally won't find for another 60 levels (more or less at the level cap), it really takes away one of the major aspects of the action RPG: incremental gear updates!

viper34j
03-08-2010, 11:13 PM
a level 35 character can equip a 174dps 1h axe by stacking STR and DEX then drinking lvl 35 pots of STR and DEX

You can only have one stat boosting potion active at one time. So the effects are quite a drastic as you say.

In my experience, potions that drop at your character level are only potent enough to allow you to equip items that are also at your level with a stat requirement that isn't one of your primaries. Unless of course you twink a character with high level potions, at which point why the hell would you whine about circumventing gameplay mechanics?

timeh
03-09-2010, 09:58 AM
You can only have one stat boosting potion active at one time. So the effects are quite a drastic as you say.

good point, i'd only done the theory, not the practical work, because I wanted to work out roughly how low a character could be to equip the insanely powerful axe (next closest I've seen is a dark blue 1h sword @ 140dps, then 100 on a yellow flail and the axe is purple... all have about the same total stat requirements, about 300 points)

Unless of course you twink a character with high level potions, at which point why the hell would you whine about circumventing gameplay mechanics?

I play the hardest dungeon I possibly can after level 10... if the toon can't take it, it's not good enough... so I do get quite high level drops for my characters, often stuff I can't use for a while.

So right now the exploit actually serves me very well, but I do think something needs to be done about it. The potions are too cool to nerf (nothing wrong with the bonus amount), unequipping items when you no longer meet the requirements would be a seriously negative experience (you get cursed, all your stuff falls on the floor cos your bags are full)... the only thing I can think of is to disallow the use of potion-gained stats in determining your ability to wear an item.

ShaggyMoose
03-09-2010, 09:33 PM
So right now the exploit actually serves me very well, but I do think something needs to be done about it. The potions are too cool to nerf (nothing wrong with the bonus amount), unequipping items when you no longer meet the requirements would be a seriously negative experience (you get cursed, all your stuff falls on the floor cos your bags are full)... the only thing I can think of is to disallow the use of potion-gained stats in determining your ability to wear an item.
Could reduce the items effectiveness, but there would need to be a good way to indicate this was happening.