PDA

View Full Version : Din beta patch 0.909

Shadow
03-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Beta patch 0.909 of Din's Curse is now available over on the Din's Curse patch page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Patches.html). Changes can be read here (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Patches/Changes.html).

Archon
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Just played a total of a minute with the new patch and just want to say thank you for adding a way to center the screen for widescreen monitors 1920x1200 looks awesome now, very sharp!

FloodSpectre
03-10-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree, the game looks a lot nicer now that the icons and text aren't being stretched out.

One minor issue though. The game normally dims out a bit when you bring up the main menu. It now only does so within the borders of the UI, not the entire screen.

Shadow
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
One minor issue though. The game normally dims out a bit when you bring up the main menu. It now only does so within the borders of the UI, not the entire screen.

I know. I need to figure out a way to tell a widget to ignore the centering stuff.

getter77
03-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Another excellent looking new patch, nicely done Shadow. Now if only I could come up with more newly found issues and not already mentioned misc ideas again, this "dry spell" has been driving me nuts this past while...

ShaggyMoose
03-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Some comments after a couple of hours with the new patch. Maybe some of these have been mentioned already, even for previous versions...

Suggestions/obervations:

When clicking on a locked door or chest with "hold position" key held, can we attack it? Otherwise, it seems you have to bind a hot key to regular attack and use that.
Still have illusion walls that hide... another wall. Not sure if this is intentional or not. I know other people have mentioned it in previous versions.
Haven't played for a couple of versions, but it seems the balance is getting better all the time. I am not finding too easy but am no longer getting frustrated as often.

New things I like:

Auto-gold pick up is a really welcome feature, especially when thieves are around.
I like the unknown gates. It can be a good way to "skip ahead" and stop you from getting stuck on a particular floor.
Maybe I just never noticed before, but I seem to remember having to initiate a conversation before to see who a townsperson was. The labels are useful.

Desticato
03-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Could the widescreen 'fix' employed in this patch be retroactively applied to earlier versions of the game engine? When Depths of Peril was first released, I posted regarding the stretched UI and have been relegated to playing in 4:3 (5:4, specifically) when what I then perceived as an issue went unaddressed. I understand that it's a matter of personal taste, but I'd rather play a game where a circle is a circle and a square a square than benefit from the extra screen real-estate. I'm probably in the very small minority in this regard.

That said, being able to play DoP at the native resolution of my monitor (16:9, 1920x1080) would rekindle my love for the game and address my only really outstanding issue with what has ended up being my Favorite Game of All Time.

I realize that patching or modifying your older titles should be appropriately low on your priority list, but if it weren't too huge a hassle and you were able to get around to it when time permitted, you'd make at least one Soldak fan immensely satisfied.

Regardless of your decision, thanks again for all that you do in the name of quality and customer service. Your efforts to craft the best game possible--as evidenced in your response to beta feedback, both in the forums and in actual implementation via patches--have been nothing short of Herculean. Yours and Delilah's commitment never ceases to impress.

A quick shout-out to everyone who has contributed to this beta, both familiar faces and (relatively) new blood. Watching the game transform from the initial download to the latest version has been a joy to watch, and a lot of it wouldn't have been possible without your contributions. We have a fine community of selfless, genuinely decent people, which I think is an excellent indication of the type of gamers Soldak's offerings attract. So keep those ideas and bug reports coming, because I know that I'm not the only one who'll be benefiting from your dedication!

Arlow
03-11-2010, 09:24 AM
logged in the warlock this am and felt like i got a letter from the demon union that due to work related dangers they will no longer be appoaching potentially explosive barrels or poisonous mushroom.. yada yada

the change is great, i feel alot more control over battles now

the graphics look wonderful with the widescreen change

only problem i'm having is that i can't stop playing and with no clock in the game i'm loosing track of time lol

back to the slaughtering

Valgor
03-11-2010, 12:44 PM
only problem i'm having is that i can't stop playing and with no clock in the game i'm loosing track of time lol

Yes, a clock is something that should definitely be added to the UI, not only showing the "real world" time but also the time elapsed since the start of the current game/town.

viper34j
03-11-2010, 12:53 PM
I'd say if a clock is added, it should be added to the esc menu. Something near the bottom would be out of the way enough to be useful, but not intrusive.

FloodSpectre
03-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes, a clock is something that should definitely be added to the UI, not only showing the "real world" time but also the time elapsed since the start of the current game/town.

I was thinking something very much like this myself. I think in-game timestamps should be added to log events, showing that I died 12m20s into a given town, or that six horrible things all decided to happen within a minute of each other when I look back at my exported logs. Maybe add a log event when you complete a town indicating how much time you spent on this one, like "Town saved in 25m45s".

As far as a clock goes, have you guys ever played Titan Quest? It had a clock you could enable through the options which only showed the time if you hovered your mouse cursor over a small section off the edge of the mini-map. Seemed a good idea to me.

rune_74
03-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Is there any way to reduce the font size for items and such on the screen? I know you can press ALT to have them displayed or not...but can we make them smaller because on a higher res it looks waaay to big.

Also, I saw a monster use a healing shard that was pretty cool....

tkirby2003
03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
I was thinking something very much like this myself. I think in-game timestamps should be added to log events, showing that I died 12m20s into a given town, or that six horrible things all decided to happen within a minute of each other when I look back at my exported logs. Maybe add a log event when you complete a town indicating how much time you spent on this one, like "Town saved in 25m45s".

As far as a clock goes, have you guys ever played Titan Quest? It had a clock you could enable through the options which only showed the time if you hovered your mouse cursor over a small section off the edge of the mini-map. Seemed a good idea to me.

That sounds like a really great idea. Of course it might tell how I spend way too much time playing.

Rune_74: You the Rune_74 from MoM?

Terry

rune_74
03-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I am the Rune_74 from MoM:)

Although, I have to admit I have fallen way behind on that game...been a couple years since I looked at it....haven't done any level designs for anyone:P

tkirby2003
03-11-2010, 11:24 PM
It has been awhile since I been there. We had some good times there though. How have you been? It is cool to see you again. That was great fun when we added that zone to MoM! Talk to you later.

Terry

incognoscente
03-12-2010, 02:03 AM
Some issues not specific to necromancers (http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11715#post11715):

1. If spawning in a Lesser Sanctuary or Vault (due to stairs placement), the "Found Lesser Sanctuary" text appears once the door is opened. It's not a game breaker, certainly, but it seems silly to see the message after the room has already been ransacked.

2. If you destroy a Ball Lightning-trapped door, the Ball Lightning will spawn wherever the player is, after a short pause. I destroyed one of these doors and gated to town before the trap went off. The Ball Lightning sought its revenge by spawning in town.

I don't know how long this has been in place, but I exhausted one of my three stacks of Roast Quail. I was prepared to drag another stack to my skill bar when I noticed that the game had already taken care of it. Wonderful!

Shadow
03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Could the widescreen 'fix' employed in this patch be retroactively applied to earlier versions of the game engine?

I intend to back port a few of these fixes to Kivi and DoP. I can't promise anything and I have no idea when it would happen though.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 10:47 AM
I am the Rune_74 from MoM:)

Ok, I'm curious, what is MoM? The only game related MoM I can think of is Master of Magic.

Cadfan
03-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Quick miscellaneous comments

It would be nice if monsters you encounter during "meeting" quests or "building a machine" quests would stick around after the quest and cause other problems. It would give more of a story feel to the game.

I still have some failed notifications where it tells me that I was killed by a... and then there's a blank spot.

I don't know if this is actually a problem, but I'll bring it to your attention. Fire Shield gets really, really good once you have a lot of ranks in it. I'm about level 60, and I have something like 60% damage dealt back from Fire Shield. This kills certain monsters outright, and wounds others significantly. I think its ok at my level, but eventually I will be reflecting close to 100% max damage, and it may start to suck if my best strategy is to stand around and let monsters hit me so that they die from their own damage. Maybe a cap would be appropriate? I don't know where, and I don't know if monster damage really scales like it seems, so I don't know for sure if this matters. It certainly doesn't bother bosses very much.

I like the random portals.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I still have some failed notifications where it tells me that I was killed by a... and then there's a blank spot.

Happen to know what you were killed by?

rune_74
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Ok, I'm curious, what is MoM? The only game related MoM I can think of is Master of Magic.

Minions of mirth...I designed some levels and objects for the game.

Cadfan
03-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Happen to know what you were killed by?
Well, that's the thing. I was fighting a naga, and there were falling rocks, and stuff was on fire. I was trying out that Maelstrom spell, so... no, I don't know what actually killed me.

I've always suspected that the failed notification was caused by falling rocks. I've had it a few other times, and when I've noticed it I'm pretty sure rocks were falling on me. I've dismissed that theory because I've gotten earthquake notifications before, but maybe not all falling rocks are earthquakes? I don't know.

Cadfan
03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
The Rogue's mana gain bonus description is still in variable-speak.

Kruztee
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Just a couple of BIG thumbs up's for you

1) The new mysterious portals that appear sometimes in dungeon levels are awesome

2) The new widescreen aspect is great. Improves playabillity and is aesthethically pleasing.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Minions of mirth...I designed some levels and objects for the game.

Oh, yeah. Master of magic must be too ingrained in my brain like MOO.

FloodSpectre
03-12-2010, 08:37 PM
I have another town I can't seem to win. The second level of the dungeon is supposed to have an Altar to Valta that I need to destroy, but I can't find it and I can't find any secret doors either. I've made sure to click on every inch of wall on that level. Oddly enough, I can see a tiny little bit of something on the map in the area I'd expected to find the altar.

In a lower level of the same dungeon I'm having the very same problem, but with some Plans this time. I can't find them and I can't find any secret paths to where they might be hidden.

I backed up my saves for this dungeon in case they need to be looked at.

Oh, and MOO2 is one of the best games ever.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Yeah, please post the save or email it to me.

ShaggyMoose
03-12-2010, 10:33 PM
How's this for an absolute $@^$%@^ of a world? Whole village looks destroyed except for a Warmaster and Din. No vendors (so no health potions) and the dungeon is completely full of damn dark elves from first floor onwards. I can't even make it back to my soul stones half of the time. Sometimes the dice are so cruel. :mad:

Cadfan
03-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I recently started a game as a new Thief/Necromancer. I spawned with a staff instead of a dagger. I couldn't buy a dagger because there were no vendors who sold weapons. I never found a dagger. The next town also had no weapon selling vendors.

I eventually got to a level where I could use a dagger I had in my stash.

It all didn't really bother me, but it might have bugged a new player. I don't know if its a real glitch or not.

FloodSpectre
03-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Here are my save files. I hope they help.

PixelLord
03-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Whole village looks destroyed except for a Warmaster and Din. No vendors (so no health potions) and the dungeon is completely full of damn dark elves from first floor onwards. :mad:

Cruel dice indeed. Remarkable that I played nearly the exact same scenario the other day. Town was lost in no time. Next time I'll just go to "Create New World," maybe (maybe not). It'd be neat that, if that destroyed town came up, the recruit quests would come up right away so you'd have at least a chance to still save the town. That would be fun!

Valgor
03-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes, sometimes I too wished those recruiting quest would come up a bit faster.
Why don't the remaining townsfolk just elect a new warmaster or steward (I acknowledge that an apothecary would need some expertise in alchemy or whatever, so he can't be recruited from a bunch of laymen) from their own if need be?

By the way; PixelLord, are you the same Stephen Hornback who worked with Apogee on Rise of the Triad?

getter77
03-13-2010, 09:24 AM
I recently started a game as a new Thief/Necromancer. I spawned with a staff instead of a dagger. I couldn't buy a dagger because there were no vendors who sold weapons. I never found a dagger. The next town also had no weapon selling vendors.

I eventually got to a level where I could use a dagger I had in my stash.

It all didn't really bother me, but it might have bugged a new player. I don't know if its a real glitch or not.

I'd kind of like to see it where if you pick a combo along those lines you start with one of each type of weapon so you an electively choose which to wield.

PixelLord
03-13-2010, 12:58 PM
By the way; PixelLord, are you the same Stephen Hornback who worked with Apogee on Rise of the Triad?

Yes, that's me. Worked on Duke Nukem 3D there too. I'm just glad Shadow let me have a crack at doing some stuff for DOP, Kivi, and DC. Fortunately I met him when I worked at Ritual where he was Technical Director. :)

FloodSpectre
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
I found an artifact version of the Lightning bow today, but it had all the same modifiers as the normal elite Lightning bow. Aren't artifacts supposed to have one more mod than elite?

Shadow
03-13-2010, 02:29 PM
I found an artifact version of the Lightning bow today, but it had all the same modifiers as the normal elite Lightning bow. Aren't artifacts supposed to have one more mod than elite?

They are indeed. So I looked it up and it does have one specified. So I spawned in an elite and an artifact version and they do have the same number of modifiers in game (2). Unfortunately the database specifies 3 for the elite bow and 4 for artifact bow.

Each of the missing modifiers was a different bug. Looks like I broke power modifiers and any kind of modifiers that modify dynamic stats like critical hits, crushing blows, etc. a while back. So in the next version a bunch of new item modifiers are about to show up. :)

FloodSpectre
03-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Awesome, I look forward to seeing those mods again :) I'm glad I spotted that bow. It was sheer luck that I was selling the artifact version to a vendor who was already selling an elite one, which of course prompted me to compare them and subsequently scratch my head wondering why they were the same.

Cadfan
03-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Suggestion- have skills that boost armor, like Mail and Plate, also give a small bonus to your resistances. Those skills are really expensive anyways, so it won't be broken, and it will help avoid situations where you've given up on offense to get a defensive boost, but your defense doesn't even work on half of your enemies.

GeorgiaBoy
03-13-2010, 04:08 PM
So in the next version a bunch of new item modifiers are about to show up. :)

Cool! Is there more of a possibility that all of the list will make it in by after release and the subsequent patches? I love variety!

GB

ShaggyMoose
03-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Cruel dice indeed. Remarkable that I played nearly the exact same scenario the other day. Town was lost in no time. Next time I'll just go to "Create New World," maybe (maybe not). It'd be neat that, if that destroyed town came up, the recruit quests would come up right away so you'd have at least a chance to still save the town. That would be fun!
I actually managed to finish this town. Seemed like less quests than usual, maybe because there was hardly anyone to give them...

Gutsman
03-13-2010, 08:20 PM
The poison gas cloud on the Assassin's Death Blow skill isn't working. The cloud comes out when you kill something with it, but it doesn't do the listed damage. It just applies a very small poison DOT. Something like 0.1 damage per second for 20 seconds. That's with 3 points in the skill at level 24.

Cadfan
03-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I raised a saurian mage from the dead. I'm not sure his attack spell worked afterwards. It didn't make any noise, and there was no animation of lightning going from his hands to the target. It made a fizzle kind of noise and there was some light on his hands, but I don't think there was any damage.

ShaggyMoose
03-14-2010, 02:15 PM
It looks like giant spiders sometimes get stuck "inside" each other and cannot move or attack until one of them is killed. I suspect it happens when they leap.

ShaggyMoose
03-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I raised a saurian mage from the dead. I'm not sure his attack spell worked afterwards. It didn't make any noise, and there was no animation of lightning going from his hands to the target. It made a fizzle kind of noise and there was some light on his hands, but I don't think there was any damage.
It might not be just undead. I just had the same problem with regular enemy Saurian Mages. Did not happen all the time though, most of them still seemed to be able to attack normally.

FloodSpectre
03-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Defensive Totems that you activate in the dungeon have red health bars. Shouldn't they be green to indicate an ally instead?

Oh, and I came across my most difficult (and awesome) dungeon yet. It has the modifiers of Darkness, Horror, Fear (not entirely sure what this one does), Cursed, Warehouse and Spiders. I think multiple modifiers here stack their darkness mods together because the dungeon is completely black except for the torches and glowing crystals. Fortunately there don't seem to be any imps running around, so the torches actually stay lit.

Lyranaar
03-15-2010, 11:02 AM
A strange problem that seems happen since 909 is that the client now each time takes about or even more than a minute to enter the game. As the game is LAN this seems kind of strange.
The client is not shown in the server game as joined.

We changed the data rate to 10000 on server and client from server 10000 client 6000 before (I think that was default). Didn't seem to help much.

The workaround is even stranger for now: if the server taskswitches the client is able to connect almost instantly.

After winning a level and opening a new map the client was shown in game and stood around, but has black screen with only health bars on the right hand side shown. The client can't move though and gets no connect message.

The client can't get any menu or disconnect possibility. After disconectong the game by server the client got disconnected. On second try the client managed to enter the game after a long wait and we got 6 gates unlocked in this newly created map. That would correspond to the number of gates we had unlocked on the previous map.

We had some different issues now and then connecting up to 908, since 909 now it seems to be regularly.

I'll try to see if there are any more patterns.

Cadfan
03-15-2010, 11:17 AM
I had the major graphical problem thing from earlier twice again yesterday.

Basically, something happens and my framerate drops to about 1 per second. Each frame is accompanied by a sound, and there is no sound between frames. This can be fixed by hitting escape, waiting for it to register, and then exiting to the main menu. When you re-enter the problem is gone. Its pretty annoying though since it forces you to save and exit in weird places.

viper34j
03-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I had the major graphical problem thing from earlier twice again yesterday.

Basically, something happens and my framerate drops to about 1 per second. Each frame is accompanied by a sound, and there is no sound between frames. This can be fixed by hitting escape, waiting for it to register, and then exiting to the main menu. When you re-enter the problem is gone. Its pretty annoying though since it forces you to save and exit in weird places.

I've had similar issues as well. Back on .908 I noticed it mostly when barrels would catch on fire. However, on .909 it seems to happen arbitrarily (does still seem to be sound related though).

Cadfan
03-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I used to think it was due to barrel fires, and the first of the two slowdowns occurred while a bunch of barrels were on fire. But the second did not.

Sound seems to be amplified when this happens. It could be a sound thing.

phanboy4
03-15-2010, 04:38 PM
The game does look a lot better without stretched UI elements. But it seems it would be better to have certain UI elements such as the Minimap, status bars, and perhaps the skill toolbar on the right and the message window "smart position" themselves against the edges of the screen, rather than sitting in some arbitrary location.

This may have already been discussed as not feasible, or may be WIP however.

Also it seems the main menu background should be extended a bit, or a larger one included for WS aspects, as the tail of the monster actually extends past it now :)

Shadow
03-15-2010, 05:01 PM
The backgrounds will be stretched again next version. I would like to have some of the things that are on the edges move back to the edges again but that's going to be much more complicated, so we will see.

Valgor
03-15-2010, 05:06 PM
I'm experiencing the occasional slowdown as well, usually while there's a big fire raging about.
The fire doesn't have to be on screen, it doesn't even have to be visible (i.e. it's in a part of the dungeon I haven't explored yet).
I can sometimes see the smoke rising from somewhere in the blackness if my character's close enough, though.

viper34j
03-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I'm experiencing the occasional slowdown as well, usually while there's a big fire raging about.
The fire doesn't have to be on screen, it doesn't even have to be visible (i.e. it's in a part of the dungeon I haven't explored yet).
I can sometimes see the smoke rising from somewhere in the blackness if my character's close enough, though.

This is very consistent with my issue as well. The fire almost always seems to be in an unexplored part of the level that is just off screen.

L337GTIMKV
03-15-2010, 08:11 PM
From my observations, the number one cause of graphical slowdown is the animation for any creature that has an aura.. If you get too many of these in a dungeon, it's literally less than 1 frame per second.

Cadfan
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
Terrain doesn't work right, but I think that's been reported.

Has fire damage from burning doors been rebalanced? I don't have a good feel for the damage they do to low level characters. My fire mage/healer just got taken from healthy to completely dead in about a second by a burning door. I don't know if that's a bug. It might not be. I did walk right through a fire.

I don't think my fire mage is getting any experience for monsters that die when his spells cause a cave-in that crushes the monster. I feel like I should be- it was an effect of my spell. And if its a question of kill notification, it might cause problems with bosses and quests.

I created a new character, set up my first world, but got a black screen when I finally created the world. It only happened once- when I went to windows, closed Din's, and reopened, it worked.

Shadow
03-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Has fire damage from burning doors been rebalanced? I don't have a good feel for the damage they do to low level characters. My fire mage/healer just got taken from healthy to completely dead in about a second by a burning door. I don't know if that's a bug. It might not be. I did walk right through a fire.

I don't think my fire mage is getting any experience for monsters that die when his spells cause a cave-in that crushes the monster. I feel like I should be- it was an effect of my spell. And if its a question of kill notification, it might cause problems with bosses and quests.

I haven't touched the fire stuff yet.

You get credit for unique monsters no matter how they die so that part won't be a problem.

Fosse
03-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Are you suppossed to get a reputation hit for failed quests that you haven't accepted? I lost almost 1000 rep in two or three minutes from quests failed on levels five through seven, while I had been no deeper than three.

It didnt' matter in the long run; I died a few minutes later. :D

transigent8
03-16-2010, 01:54 AM
There's either a scaling problem with Deathblow or its damage needs to be instant. I have it at level 13 and it does 210-280 damage but then I use it and it's on a 20 second timer! Uh yeah, that's between 0.8 and 1 points of damage over 20 seconds, not too shiny as far as top tier skills go. If it was instant damage that would make more sense (ala a Poison Nova) or even decrease the poison duration to increase the tick damage but even then, it's probably not something that'll make much difference in the big leagues.

Oh and I loooove the upgraded uniques!

Shadow
03-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Are you suppossed to get a reputation hit for failed quests that you haven't accepted? I lost almost 1000 rep in two or three minutes from quests failed on levels five through seven, while I had been no deeper than three.

Yes, it's meant to be like that.

There's either a scaling problem with Deathblow or its damage needs to be instant. I have it at level 13 and it does 210-280 damage but then I use it and it's on a 20 second timer! Uh yeah, that's between 0.8 and 1 points of damage over 20 seconds, not too shiny as far as top tier skills go. If it was instant damage that would make more sense (ala a Poison Nova) or even decrease the poison duration to increase the tick damage but even then, it's probably not something that'll make much difference in the big leagues.

Most of the death blow damage comes from the poison gas that is constantly doing damage to anything within range. The small poison effect you are seeing is just a minor part of this damage getting translated into a dot.

Fosse
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, it's meant to be like that.

Cool. Then I'll continue on my manual kick... I think that info should be in there under the Reputation explanation. Maybe also a Quests subheading, which explains that along with all other relevant quest info, which is sort of sprinkled out throughout the document.

That in mind, I would also agree with the posters asking for more than six quests to be in your quest journal, since they are all "active."