PDA

View Full Version : Question about Perception


Valgor
03-11-2010, 12:36 PM
How does Perception work?

I presume it's somehow connected to the Intelligence stat, but in what way? I've read that Perception increases the accuracy of detecting any traps on chest and doors, but I'm always getting "0.0% chance of being correct", even with fairly high Intelligence and Perception-boosting gear... maybe there's something broken. Shouldn't traps that have a 0.0% chance of being there not exist in the first place? :confused:

Cadfan
03-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I'm curious what degree of perception is needed for a fair chance if identifying traps. I know that Thieves get boosts to perception, and wizards and conjurers focus on intelligence and therefore should have decent perception, but I don't know what a "normal" perception should be. My main character has low perception and no perception boosting skills, so I haven't looked into it much.

Anyone know what perception score per level gives you some chance of identifying things?

Kruztee
03-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Not only that, but if a chest that is locked and trapped has a 0.0% chance of fire nova (based on the characters low perception, I gather) the actual chance of fire nova being tripped when attempting to open or smash the chest is very close to 100% if not 100%. I don't see the point of raising the perception stat at all. Perhaps this is what Valgor was trying to say, I'm not sure, but just thought that I'd clarify what I perceive to be the main problem with perception as it exists now.

Valgor
03-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Not only that, but if a chest that is locked and trapped has a 0.0% chance of fire nova (based on the characters low perception, I gather) the actual chance of fire nova being tripped when attempting to open or smash the chest is very close to 100% if not 100%. I don't see the point of raising the perception stat at all. Perhaps this is what Valgor was trying to say, I'm not sure, but just thought that I'd clarify what I perceive to be the main problem with perception as it exists now.

Yes, that's what I was aiming at.
Say I inspect a chest that is apparently trapped because the tooltip says "Trapped : Ball Lightning (0.0% chance of being correct)"... That basically means my character has determined - based on his Perception - that opening the chest will probably trigger a Ball Lightning trap. However, the chance of his "hunch" being correct is 0%... doesn't that imply there's actually a good chance the chest is not trapped at all? Curiously though, like Kruztee said, most of the time the "perceived" trap is triggered regardless.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Currently 10 perception is worth 1 level. If your perception level matches the trap level you have a 50% chance of being correct. Each level difference is worth 5%.

So if you have 40 perception and are dealing with a level 5 trap, you should have a 45% chance of being correct. At 60 perception, you would have a 55% chance.

I'll look and see if I need to balance these numbers a bit.

viper34j
03-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Could this be in a tooltip somewhere? I think that all the visible stats on the character menu, even those that only exist in another pop up like dodge, should have an explanation.

Valgor
03-12-2010, 12:39 PM
It'd also help if all the things that have a level, like chests, traps or even items would tell the player what level they are in their tooltip or detailed description.

By the way, what determines a chest's level? The dungeon floor it is located on?

Shadow
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
By the way, what determines a chest's level? The dungeon floor it is located on?

In general it is equal to the dungeon floors level, which is close to what the monster's are.