PDA

View Full Version : Tweak Requests

Fosse
03-12-2010, 05:58 PM
I've been playing for a couple of weeks now. I have accumulated a few questions, and quite a few nitpicks and suggestions for this game.

I'm having a lot of fun with it overall. I haven't traditionally sought out dungeon crawl games in this genre. But the quest system had me intrigued, and I'm very pleased with the game so far. What follows should not be construed to indicate otherwise.

Manual. I know you're still in Beta, so this could be a work in progress. I find the online manual to be lacking in its explanation of functions and concepts. Further, for actual release I would like an offline manual -- webpages, PDF, or whatever -- instead of a website online.

Tutorials. These messages are fine for getting the ball rolling, but quickly become annoying once the player gets a handle on things. I find it annoying that they are reset to be on with every new character I create. Also, I wouldn't mind having an in-game browser of the tutorial messages. I'm well past the point where I want the interface to bug me about each new thing I stumble upon, but it'd be nice to look up exactly what a key function is once in a while.

Autopase in conversation. Given the nature of the quest system, I really don't like wasting time while I'm speaking to NPCs and shopping in town. The optimal gameplay has the player pausing whenever in a conversation, which is kind of tedious. But because I can trade, and pick up quests from NPCs while paused, it doesn't make sense not to. If the world automatically paused while the player was interacting with NPCs the same way it does when you open the character or skill screens, this would be no problem.

NPCs on World Map. I think that the town map should show all NPCs and NPCs with quests all of the time. The purple dots for quest givers are great on the minimap, but it still requires that you travel over the town until the minimap shows those characters. I can't think of a good reason to not have the townsfolk appear on the main world map of the town.

Monster location during town invasions. When I rush back to town to fight off an attack I often spend frustrating minutes just trying to find the monsters. I can understand not wanting to put them on the minimap in this case. But something must be done. You show up, people are dying every few seconds, and you're screwed because you went looking in the wrong part of town for the monster. It seems ridiculous that you can't even ascertain the general direction of the rampaging party of monsters.

I wish the item name toggle could be set to ignore mundane items. I can't imagine I'm alone in ignoring grey weapons and armor. I'm only interested in consumables or magic items, and I'd love if the interface filtered out normal items. (Titan Quest -- a game that wasn't nearly as fun or engaging as this one despite coming from a big publisher -- had this feature and I liked it quite a bit.)

Left Click the hotkey bar. The hotkey bar skills and items should be activated by a left click, not a right click. That would be much more intuitive, especially given that the left click is the default action for the most common actions everywhere else. Click, hold, & drag or right click to move the buttons around would work fine. As it is, I almost ALWAYS wind up picking up my icons instead of activating my skills. Also, I feel that dragging a button off of the shortcut bar should suffice to delete it from its position there.

I'm not a fan at all of the changing cursor in the latest patch. That's pretty minor obviously, but it's distracting to me.

I wish that the blinking + sign on the skills icon would go away when I decide I want to save up skill points until I have more. If it blinked when you leveled up, and then simply became a static + after you'd opened the window once since your last level up, I think it'd be great. It's unnecessarily distracting right now.

As I've said elsewhere, I'm very much in favor of not having the player locked out of game modes and difficulty levels until he's reached a certain level. I believe that the stern warnings on these modes (possibly coupled with an additional warning if you don't have a high level character) are enough. There's no good reason to restrict the player's choices.

Thanks for listening, Stephen. I'm enjoying your game an awful lot.

Shadow
03-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Manual. I know you're still in Beta, so this could be a work in progress. I find the online manual to be lacking in its explanation of functions and concepts. Further, for actual release I would like an offline manual -- webpages, PDF, or whatever -- instead of a website online.

There is an offline manual in a simple txt format.

I'm not a fan at all of the changing cursor in the latest patch. That's pretty minor obviously, but it's distracting to me.

I don't remember changing anything, what's different for you?

Fosse
03-13-2010, 01:35 AM
There is an offline manual in a simple txt format. Right you are, of course. It's the same as the online one. I still find the manual could be improved by covering more information. The various stats and derived stats, for example.

I don't remember changing anything, what's different for you?The way the cursor switches from the hand, to a sword, to... something else when you pick things up. I've actually realized since I posted that sometimes when I alt-tab some of the cursors (the loot pick up one, for instance) switch to a black and white two color cursor that's very distracting. But it seems to be a glitch. I thought it was always that way for at least a day or two. I'll keep my eye out for it and post a screen when I see it again.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 11:08 AM
I still find the manual could be improved by covering more information. The various stats and derived stats, for example.

Anything other specific things you would like to see in the manual?

The way the cursor switches from the hand, to a sword, to... something else when you pick things up. I've actually realized since I posted that sometimes when I alt-tab some of the cursors (the loot pick up one, for instance) switch to a black and white two color cursor that's very distracting. But it seems to be a glitch. I thought it was always that way for at least a day or two. I'll keep my eye out for it and post a screen when I see it again.

The cursor has always done that, well except for the black & white thing. That last part is probably either our bug or a graphics driver bug.

ShaggyMoose
03-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Any chance that we can see our avatar wearing a cape/hood? When I have both a cape and hood on, seeing my ranger wear a woolen cap seems more than a little strange... If performance is an issue, you could make it an option.

Shadow
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Any chance that we can see our avatar wearing a cape/hood? When I have both a cape and hood on, seeing my ranger wear a woolen cap seems more than a little strange... If performance is an issue, you could make it an option.

Unfortunately probably not. It's really more of a modeling, animation, and code issue. Capes are problematic.

Fosse
03-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Anything other specific things you would like to see in the manual?
Stats. Could you explain in detail what each of the character stats do, and those derived from them? The tooltips in place are pretty good, but a comprehensive treatment in the manual would be great. It's not clear if a Warrior can ignore Spirit, for example, by looking just at the tooltips.

In addition to this, explaining the interaction of stats would be great. I have lots of items that say something like "Armor 20%." But when I wear them I don't see any kind of boost to my final armor score. How do these numbers work? Are they running under the hood even though I can't see them? What's the final difference between an item with 6 Armor and 3% Armor increase compared to one of 6 Armor and 25% Armor increase? And why don't I see that difference on my character sheet?

An explanation of some of the smaller, easier to miss stats would also be great. Light intensity and Treasure Finding. I understand what they apply to, but I have no way of knowing if 5% increase to Treasure Finding is useful or not.

I could really use a better explanation of Ego items. They seem to just be better magic items? They often have an "Ego" bonus that's some percentage increase in damage (easy to understand), or Armor % (see above). How exactly are they different from a non-ego item that has the same stats?

What do things like totems and statues do?

And, again, access to the various tutorial popups would be great. Accessing a few of them would be nice without having to view all of the ones I no longer need.

.... I just lost Clifford. He was a hardcore warrior and got overwhelmed when a room had a shockingly large number of baddies in it. Was just about to save his fourth town, too. Thanks for helping me unlock hardcore. It hurts, but it's great! :)

The cursor has always done that, well except for the black & white thing. That last part is probably either our bug or a graphics driver bug.Yes, it seems to be a glitch that doesn't surface that often. It just so happened to pop up after an update so I thought it was a change. When it isn't glitchy the change isn't distracting at all. I'm still looking for it to happen again.

FloodSpectre
03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
In addition to this, explaining the interaction of stats would be great. I have lots of items that say something like "Armor 20%." But when I wear them I don't see any kind of boost to my final armor score. How do these numbers work? Are they running under the hood even though I can't see them? What's the final difference between an item with 6 Armor and 3% Armor increase compared to one of 6 Armor and 25% Armor increase? And why don't I see that difference on my character sheet?

I can help with this one at least. The armor value is factored into the number you see on the item already. It doesn't show you the base value, it shows the value after all bonuses are added in. An item with a base armor of 10 with a 10% armor boost is going to tell you it gives 11 armor already.

I'm almost willing to offer to write a manual myself if Shadow doesn't think he has the time for it. On the other hand, I don't know all of what's going on underneath the surface of the game, and it's sort of an important thing to know if you're supposed to be explaining things to other people. ;)

Maybe we could set up a wiki covering all the games in the DoP world...

Valgor
03-14-2010, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately probably not. It's really more of a modeling, animation, and code issue. Capes are problematic.

What about showing the equipped shoulderpieces on the player character, like it was done in Depths of Peril?

Fosse
03-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Is there a chance that a filter for Dead characters could be added to the character list? Or that they could be marked as such somehow?

This obviously only applies to characters who died in Hardcore mode. I like to look back at them on occassion, so I don't want to delete them. But they do clutter up my character list.

timeh
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Is there a chance that a filter for Dead characters could be added to the character list? Or that they could be marked as such somehow?

This obviously only applies to characters who died in Hardcore mode. I like to look back at them on occassion, so I don't want to delete them. But they do clutter up my character list.

hardcore character graveyard!

bbragnar
03-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I would like to see more detail in the number. Examples: final critical percentage, final deep wound percentage, etc... Since this is a stat based action game built a bit on getting better loot, I would like more feed back on which item is better by what percentage.

I would like to be able to tool over the @#$@# poison DoT, I seem to always have and see how much longer of the 30 secs I have left.

I would like to see more stats in the journal like biggest melee hit, melee critical, etc...

Keep up the good work.

ecliptic
03-26-2010, 06:03 AM
hardcore character graveyard!

That's actually an interesting idea. Borrow from Nethack and other roguelikes, actually have undead versions of dead heroes present, equipment and all. Obviously make the chances for this room to spawn extremely low, but when someone gets killed by their previous avatar, that'd be quite memorable! :) And a great chance for good loot too.