PDA

View Full Version : RPG Codex interview

Shadow
10-29-2007, 11:01 AM
We have a new interview over on RPG Codex (http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=160). It's a post release interview that talks about how gamers and the media have responded to Depths of Peril, things we might have done differently, etc. and has my latest rant on the industry at the end. :)

AnalogKid
10-29-2007, 04:04 PM
It's a good rant. I wonder what "recent game" you could possibly have been referring to?

On a completely different note ;), do you expect HG:L release to affect your sales, since the two games are in the same genre (even though quite different)?

Shadow
10-29-2007, 04:45 PM
On the whole, I was actually referring to a bunch of recent and upcoming games. I usually try to not talk about any particular game in a negative way, at least publicly. Now the industry as a whole is a different story.

I mean what was the last action RPG that came out that wasn't a straight Diablo or Daggerfall/Morrowind/Oblivion clone? Other than Depths of Peril that is.

As for Hellgate, I don't think them releasing is going to effect our sales any more than they already are. They get WAY too much press.

AnalogKid
10-29-2007, 05:43 PM
OK, here's the unanswerable question of the week:

How much is the press worth?

Big-time games have huge budgets nowadays, and so they NEED to be "best selling" to earn any kind of ROI, much less a good one. But what if you could just chop out the advertising/marketing budget and apply it to a game like yours? Let's say of the mythical $20 million development cost, that $2 million was advertising/marketing.

Do you think spending that kind of money (mostly bribing game journalists, of course) would create > $2 million in additional sales?

I guess maybe that's what you're looking in to with your possible publisher deals?

I would LOVE to know more details about the economics of game sales...

Delilah Rehm
10-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Sound like a good blog topic (hint, hint).

As far as marketing, I believe there are a lot of people out there who would buy Depths of Peril... if only they knew it existed. Marketing gives you that. I don't know the costs involved, but if we had a marketing budget, I suspect we wouldn't need what as much as a traditional studio.

Shadow
10-30-2007, 11:03 AM
In general, I would say up to a point, advertising would repay at least what we put into it. The trick with advertsing is that advertising to the wrong audience is just a big waste of money, but advertising to the right audience makes you a lot of money. Unfortunately, this isn't an easy process. So like many things in life, advertising can be good or bad.