PDA

View Full Version : Feature request: Display on character screen

Kruztee
03-17-2010, 01:51 AM
If possible I'd like to see my characters TOTAL additional chance for Crushing Blow, Critical Hit, Deep Wounds and Stunning Blow somewhere on the character page. These are quite important values for melee characters especially, and are vital on fragile DPS characters like my favourite, the rogue.

Cadfan
03-17-2010, 02:10 AM
I agree, but in the meantime you can calculate the value by starting with 5%, adding the bonus from intelligence, and then increasing by the sum of the % increases from skills.

So if you had a base 5%, plus an intelligence of 25 (+2.5%), you'd have a modified base of 7.5%. If you then have +100% from stealth and +30% from some other skill, you'd have a total critical hit chance of .075 + .075*1.3 = .1725, or 17.25%.

That's assuming the math works like in DoP, which I believe it does. It is possible to get a critical hit chance of 100% in DoP. I'm not completely sure that's possible in Din's, but its at least theoretically possible in certain situations if you use Stealth.

Kruztee
03-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Cool, that's useful to know.

So to use a practical example from my current character

Crushing Blow

14.4 (5%<base chance> + 9.4% <derived from 94 STR>) + (1.63*14.4) <+163% chance of crushing blow mod on weapon> =

37.872%

Is that right? Because it sure doesn't feel like that many of my hits are crushing blows. I know that if two special hits are triggered at once only one will display. I do get quite a few criticals as well, so that might be why :confused: That's like 2 in 5 hits that should be crushing blows... hmmm....

Cadfan
03-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I don't know the original base chance of a crushing blow, but that seems to be the idea. I've heard things that suggest to me that base crushing blow chance starts at 2%, and that its just critical hits that start at 5%.

Anyways, remember that I'm assuming that this all works like it did in Depths of Peril.

Kruztee
03-17-2010, 05:08 PM
I don't know the original base chance of a crushing blow, but that seems to be the idea. I've heard things that suggest to me that base crushing blow chance starts at 2%, and that its just critical hits that start at 5%.

Anyways, remember that I'm assuming that this all works like it did in Depths of Peril.

Thanks for the info in any case. A lot of new players might be surprised simply by looking at the +163% chance to crushing blow on the weapon to see that their actual chance of inflicting a crushing blow was around 38% on a hit (or thereabouts depending on the base chance). I know that this is explained in a very limited way in the manual, but a total modified value and even a breakdown of the factors involved in it's calculation would be very useful to players I'm sure. Perhaps if the modified value was displayed on the character page and then the factors involved could be displayed on mouseover? That would be cool. Come to think of it, these values could even replace the damage and DPS fields which I find to be largely irrelevant now (actual DPS is *highly* dependent on special hits anyway). I mainly look at the character page to check resistances when deciding between two pieces of gear. DPS and damage are more easily calculated simply by looking at the weapon DPS when comparing 2 weapons, but chances for special hits are a little more tedious to calculate by hand. Anyway, something for Shadow to think about even if it can't be done in time for release.

Cadfan
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
DPS was really important in DoP, since in DoP your character attacks at a constant, set speed which is then overlayed by special attacks. So if every second you hit for 50 damage, and you have a special attack that you can use every seconds for 100 damage, your DPS would show what you would have if you didn't use your special attack, and your special attack would add to that without replacing any of the natural attacks.

This basically meant that the more special attacks you knew, the more powerful your character would be.

Din's uses a system in which your special attacks take time, and that time trades off with your regular attacks. This is probably the single biggest behind the scenes change between the games. What you probably care about most in Din's is your base damage and your modified damage per swing not counting your bonuses for specific skills.

Understanding attack speed is actually pretty important for really understanding the details of the system. For example, hammers are more powerful than you would think from looking at them, and daggers are less powerful, because their "dps" ratings assume the attack speed you get from the weapon itself, which will be rapidly replaced by the attack speed you get from your attacks- and the classes with hammer proficiency tend to have special attacks that are faster than the hammer's natural rhythm, and classes with dagger abilities tend to have special attacks that are slower than the dagger's natural rate.