PDA

View Full Version : Reduce frequency of rare loot spawn!

lumin
03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
We already have a lot of options to change the general difficulty of the game, but could we PLEASE have an option to lower the general chance of spawning loot?

This is the one grip I have about Din's Curse, and it follows the same pattern as Torchlight: There is just too much special loot. After only a short time there is really no point in ever picking up "gray" items and the weapon/armor shops become completely obsolete.

Diablo, for example, had uncommon and "rare" loot spawn very infrequently so it felt like a huge deal to see one. Common loot still felt important and was appreciated throughout the entire game because it was all we had to go by.

I'm not asking that this be changed for everyone, as I'm sure there are many out there who love seeing "yellow" items every 10 minutes. I'm just asking that there be a toggle to lower the frequency. This request was brought to the Torchlight developers by many players, but they thumbed their noses at us. I'm really hoping Soldak will give this idea a chance.

Afterall, if common loot is practically as common as uncommon loot, should it still even be considered common at all???

FloodSpectre
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
You must have better luck than I. I haven't found this to be a problem, and the vendors often have one or two good items any time I check. While there are a ton of Common/Uncommons that drop, rares do actually seem to be pretty rare (keep in mind cursed items often show as yellow too). I find that set items are rarer than Elite items too, but that Legendary items really are hard to find.

lumin
03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
What I dislike is that I can fill my entire inventory completely full of uncommons and a couple rares within about 20 minutes of play.

In Diablo, after clearing a level you would have maybe 2-3 uncommons and the rest would be common. Only every 3 levels or so would you find a rare and only a legendary maybe once or twice per game (going all the way to the boss on normal). And in Diablo, the magical items of the first 8 levels or so were extremely weak, only giving a tiny bonus to Light radius or some other relatively meaningless stat. In Din's Curse we're getting Flaming Swords of Death on the second level of dungeons.

I can't give exact numbers, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the rates are much higher than Diablo 1. All I'm asking is that we get a toggle to reduce the rates by 50% or so, for us old-timers who love playing for hours just to find a single rare or uncommon.

Why the high rates really hurt this particular game is because the game depends on you going as fast as possible to finish quests in time. I find myself having no time whatsoever to open my inventory and really see what all my items do especially when uncommons typically have 2 or 3 attribute modifiers. Much less go to a vendor and Min/Max the best items for sale.

Collecting and comparing phat loot is a staple of the hacknslash/diablo genre. It's a mini game in and of itself. This mini game is being seriously hampered when there is so much incredible loot that you don't have time to tell heads from tails on what is good and what is not.

Edit: Oops I just realized that I didn't mean to say "Common", I meant "Normal". This means that the game drops powerful loot even more often than I first realized! In light of this discovery, I really think the loot is seriously out of control if nearly every item is above "Normal".

Shadow
03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure about an in game option, but I could make a mod like this pretty easily.

GeorgiaBoy
03-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Already did in my items mod (work in progress).

Fosse
03-23-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure about an in game option, but I could make a mod like this pretty easily.

That'd be great. I concur with the wish to reduce magic item appearances a bit. There is never any reason to use a mundane item (unless you're level 1 and simply haven't found a magic version of a particular something yet).

lumin
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
That'd be great. I concur with the wish to reduce magic item appearances a bit. There is never any reason to use a mundane item (unless you're level 1 and simply haven't found a magic version of a particular something yet).

This is my main beef. Mundane (Normal) items should have a place throughout the entire game, not just until level 2.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Version 0.910 did make normal items a bit more useful. They have a better chance to be higher level.

lumin
03-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Version 0.910 did make normal items a bit more useful. They have a better chance to be higher level.

Hmm, well I've only played the demo so far, so maybe I need to feel the later levels of the game out more.

I still like the idea of a mod though. I could see it as a fun way for players to challenge themselves by only allowing mundane items to spawn and only permitting magical objects to spawn very rarely, or not at all. This could make the world feel much darker, more gritty - more low fantasy.

Aganazer
03-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Hmm, well I've only played the demo so far, so maybe I need to feel the later levels of the game out more.

I still like the idea of a mod though. I could see it as a fun way for players to challenge themselves by only allowing mundane items to spawn and only permitting magical objects to spawn very rarely, or not at all.

I wonder if it would be possible to mod it so that the only way to get a rare or better item is from a named boss. It seems like it would feel more rewarding to get a rare item from a boss than from a pixie. I seem to get a disproportionately high number of quality items from the most mundane sources.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
I wonder if it would be possible to mod it so that the only way to get a rare or better item is from a named boss. It seems like it would feel more rewarding to get a rare item from a boss than from a pixie. I seem to get a disproportionately high number of quality items from the most mundane sources.

You couldn't do that exactly, but you could decrease the normal magic items chances and then increase the magic find from higher end monsters.

GeorgiaBoy
03-23-2010, 04:27 PM
You couldn't do that exactly, but you could decrease the normal magic items chances and then increase the magic find from higher end monsters.

I guess one could not have specific monsters drop specific items, then? Maybe a patch if it is easy enough?

Viliki
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
For me there's a lot too many drops, but I suppose it's a necessary standard in that sort of game to give some chance to get higher level items.

I found how manage it somehow better:

Instead of being too greedy I try remember time is a key and don't take any normal items but most potions.
I also give up break any barrels one per one.
If there's a stone of identifying close I don't forget use it to identify all my current stuff.
If there's a merchant near I use him to pay for an instant identifying of all items.
And if I have identified items I pause and check them to drop all cheaper to save number of time I get back in town.
Also, sometimes I open only a part of inventory where there are items to identify and try identify as I continue explore.

The last trick isn't that easy to apply because an attack makes the current identifying unsuccessful even if it doesn't interrupt the process. Also there's no visual hint showing that an item isn't identified. And do this interrupt a bit too much the flow of the action.

I think that the game could softer a little the process for players not trying be greedy, ie for those not trying to pick and sell all items with no exception:

The item color should be a better hint of the real power/price of the item for the player current level. Too many times I get weak yellow items.
Beside stones of identifying randomly in the maze, the player could buy some stackable item allowing identify all items in the bags and inside an area of effect.
Some classes should have some side effects allowing an auto identify of most items.
All classes should have one skill allowing break multiple barrels in one shot.
A user option in the game should allow not see some levels of items, for example to choose not even look at normal items that aren't potions. Or allow the user define a sell minimum price for objects he wants see.
There's ton of different potions and they can use a lot of spaces in bags. For such approach the game should have through a tab system, a special separate bag only for potions.
And one more not fully linked with this series, but somehow, not identified items should have a visual hint, both in bags and those you drop on ground.

FloodSpectre
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
It seems like it would feel more rewarding to get a rare item from a boss than from a pixie. I seem to get a disproportionately high number of quality items from the most mundane sources.

I feel the same way. I really think Champions, Elites and so on, as well as Din's Cursed should have better chances to drop good items, and even better chances of dropping out-of-depth items (gear several levels higher than what others are currently dropping).

Shadow
03-25-2010, 03:33 PM
For the original topic, there is now a Rare Magic Items mod on our mod page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html).

lumin
03-25-2010, 03:47 PM
For the original topic, there is now a Rare Magic Items mod on our mod page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html).

Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Shadow
03-26-2010, 10:07 AM
Also there's no visual hint showing that an item isn't identified.

Any item that is not identified that is in your inventory has a little question mark on the item's icon.

Inspired
04-02-2010, 07:40 PM
The problem with having less drops means less gold which means I can't afford health pots which slows down the whole experience for me since I have no other way of healing myself without running back to Din's alter all the time.