PDA

View Full Version : Can't find Atrox

Nightwand
03-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Warmaster gave me "Kill Atrox" mission (a cruel torva shaman on level 3 of the zealous catacomb). I searched that level all over repeatedly and never found the guy.

I declined the mission and it went back onto the Warmaster's offer list. I accepted it again and re-checked level 3. Still no sign.

ShaggyMoose
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Try playing around on a different dungeon level for a while, then quitting the game and going back in; sometimes this will re-distribute enemies who might otherwise be behind a secret wall or something. It seems to be more effective to do this in DoP, but I have noticed it can also work in DC.

TheRani
03-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I've been having this problem a lot since the last patch. I've had to abandon towns because of it.

Caal
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Several folks (including me) have reported this - unsolvable quests because the monster(s)/object could not be found, despite lengthy searches for secret walls. I'll repeat the advice I received - post a saved game so Shadow can have a look at it.

PixelLord
03-22-2010, 01:07 AM
I've been having this problem a lot since the last patch. I've had to abandon towns because of it.

Same here.... about 1/4 of my towns had to be abandoned due to quests for monsters that cannot be found anywhere in the noted level, especially group kill quests. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Shadow
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
Just a quick note, this is pretty much my highest priority thing to track down for the next patch.

timeh
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I can't remember ever having a mob not appear.

I can remember needing to wait a long time for some (named mobs and uprisings) to actually [re]spawn.

I may have had one artifact quest that I couldn't solve, but I'm not 100% there. It may have also just taken some time to spawn, but felt like it was broken.

ShaggyMoose does exactly what I do... spend some time on another floor.

PixelLord
03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Seems to me that the best thing would be to have the monsters/items in question immediately spawn as soon as the quest becomes active or is accepted. Perhaps they already do so.

I think I've noticed that in this version (.910) levels seem to reset themselves after some time away from them. For example, when I return to a level, doors that I had opened are now closed and locked, healthstones are not there any more or new ones are there where there was none before, etc.

Could this resetting have anything to do with the quest problem? Perhaps the monsters/items are spawned the first time, but lost when the level is reset?

PixelLord
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
I can remember needing to wait a long time for some (named mobs and uprisings) to actually [re]spawn.

I may have had one artifact quest that I couldn't solve, but I'm not 100% there. It may have also just taken some time to spawn, but felt like it was broken.

I ran around for 6 hours one time waiting for a monster to spawn. It never did. I stuck with it as I'm testing the game, so I did not move on to another town. Even if it would have spawned after 6 hours (or even one hour), I'm sure everyone would agree that this needs to be changed as it definitely does not add to the entertainment value of the game.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 02:30 PM
When you are looking for a named monster the monster is spawned immediately. I'm not sure yet if that can fail some how or the monster is somehow lost later.

Krasny
03-23-2010, 03:07 PM
How long? I spent about 15 minutes searching the level for my named target.

Also if you are waiting for a respawn, does this not mean that either you or another monster has killed it, thus making the quest either solved or unsolvable.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 05:36 PM
When you are looking for a named monster the monster is spawned immediately. I'm not sure yet if that can fail some how or the monster is somehow lost later.

Named monsters won't respawn. If they really aren't on the level something is wrong. I do know of 2 weird, rare cases that can cause problems. Ghosts can wander out of the level and zombies can pull levers and fall down pit traps. I think there is at least one more unknown issue that is effecting people though.

Kruztee
03-23-2010, 08:09 PM
Here's a case where a named Urchin has gone missing from level 2. :( Killing it is the only way that I'm going to be able to beat this town, so I'm going to abandon it and start another. Here's a save if it will help diagnose what's going on.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Ok, I think I've tracked down most if not all of the problems related to this. I've also made the quests a little smarter to spawn more things that have disappeared. These changes will show up in version 0.911.