PDA

View Full Version : MOB reaction/responsiveness

Brysos
03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I am pretty low level (level 4 Warrior) but it seems like the monsters in the game do not react unless I am right up on them. Is this a level thing? Monsters really should react as soon as I see them. Often the first thing a monster does is just move randomly, not even attack.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Each monster type has a different aggression range. It also depends on your level compared to them. The higher your level compared to them the more they leave you alone.

Viliki
03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I enjoyed the diversified behaviors, one comment about it, not really for Din but more for a next game. Check Torchlight how they didn't hesitate make missiles very slow and monsters very slow. Sure you used this sort of design too but seems to have been a little hesitant to make it too unrealistic.

In fact I consider less fun missiles you can't dodge if you do not anticipate. For example you made very well the various large area damaging events like large quake, ceiling falling and more, you give many visual and sounds hints and at first very small damages to let player have the time to flee the area, that's very fun. For missiles, few are slow enough, but quite many are too fast I think.

For monsters, not many just rush on you and that's cool, you could pick up some additional idea from games like Torchlight. For example some group behaviors of some monsters types have group behaviors, some monsters approach very slowly but with a very high chance to block, some aren't long range monsters but have a longer range than you making you manage them differently.