PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding special attacks

udm
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Does the damage of the original weapon stack on top of special attacks, such as the Gladiator's Savage Strike? Or is the damage from the special attack independent of the weapon you use?

Shadow
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
The attacks that just mention a % increase are based on your normal DPS. So a better weapon will make these attacks do more damage.

udm
03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
What about Cleave? With a dagger, I seem to be able to deal more damage with Cleave; OTOH, if I'm using an axe, Cleave doesn't do much more damage than the normal attack.

Shadow
03-23-2010, 02:49 PM
You're seeing the DPS part. Cleave is much slower than a normal dagger attack, so the boost is greater per strike.

Aganazer
03-23-2010, 03:30 PM
You're seeing the DPS part. Cleave is much slower than a normal dagger attack, so the boost is greater per strike.

Does that mean the damage is normalized? In other words, two equal dps items with different speeds would cause the same damage on a Cleave or other +% damage skill?

Shadow
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Does that mean the damage is normalized? In other words, two equal dps items with different speeds would cause the same damage on a Cleave or other +% damage skill?

Yes, that is correct. I pretty much had to do this for Din's since a special attack is replacing normal attacks during the time it takes.

udm
03-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Ah sweet. Thanks Steven! :)

Cadfan
03-23-2010, 11:11 PM
Yes, that is correct. I pretty much had to do this for Din's since a special attack is replacing normal attacks during the time it takes.
Oh! Well, that changes things. Am I understanding correctly:

Weapon A does DPS 20, but has low damage and high speed.
Weapon B does DPS 20, but has high damage and low speed.

When using a special attack, lets say Perfect Strike, they deal the same damage, and they use the speed of the special attack, which is 1.5 in this case.

That's interesting to know because it means that there's no advantage in taking a low speed, high damage weapon and using fast attacks. I had been assuming that there was.

Also, how does the Adrenaline skill affect this? I still don't know for sure if I understand the interaction between Adrenaline and special attacks.

Kruztee
03-24-2010, 08:37 AM
That's interesting to know because it means that there's no advantage in taking a low speed, high damage weapon and using fast attacks. I had been assuming that there was.

And I had been assuming there was because Cadfan said so.

Damn you Cadfan!:D

Shadow
03-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Oh! Well, that changes things. Am I understanding correctly:

Weapon A does DPS 20, but has low damage and high speed.
Weapon B does DPS 20, but has high damage and low speed.

When using a special attack, lets say Perfect Strike, they deal the same damage, and they use the speed of the special attack, which is 1.5 in this case.

Also, how does the Adrenaline skill affect this? I still don't know for sure if I understand the interaction between Adrenaline and special attacks.

They should do the same damage (on average at least).

Adrenline will boost your normal dps, so it should also effect melee skills like normal.

udm
03-24-2010, 01:11 PM
What about special damage properties that the weapon has, for example 100% Deep Wounds or 4-6 Cold Damage? Are they taken into account too?

Cadfan
03-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Oh, ok... does that mean that Adrenaline actually makes your special attacks take less time, or does that mean that Adrenaline boosts your "dps" rating, thereby making your special attacks do more damage after they've been normalized to take the time specified in their description?

Either way is alright, but you might want to change the description of Adrenaline if the second way is how it works, because that would mean that no matter how many points you put into Adrenaline you wouldn't visibly see an increase in speed when you use special attacks, which would make you think that it wasn't working right even though it was.

Shadow
03-26-2010, 10:01 AM
What about special damage properties that the weapon has, for example 100% Deep Wounds or 4-6 Cold Damage? Are they taken into account too?

Both of those should get taken into account.

Oh, ok... does that mean that Adrenaline actually makes your special attacks take less time, or does that mean that Adrenaline boosts your "dps" rating, thereby making your special attacks do more damage after they've been normalized to take the time specified in their description?

It will basically do the second one.