PDA

View Full Version : For Delilah (and other book enthusiasts)

udm
03-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Seeing DoP and Din's Curse storylines somewhat reminds me of an author whose books I've been re-reading again lately: Robert E. Howard. I really recommend his works, especially Conan and Solomon Kane. These are very good reads, and I think you will enjoy them ;)

Delilah Rehm
03-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't already have these and will definitely have to check them out! :) I love finding new good authors.

udm
03-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Cool, don't forget to share your thoughts later on :)

Jude
05-08-2010, 04:50 PM
You may also want to check out Edgar Rice Burroughs. In addition to the Tarzan books, he also wrote the series featuring John Carter of Mars (A Princess of Mars), Pellucidar (At the Earth's Core), and Carson of Venus.

Jude

udm
05-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Yep, I'll be getting round to the original Tarzan stories soon. Robert E Howard was a big fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs too.

Right now I'm reading Jack London's White Fang. I've also got Before Adam and Call of the Wild lined up in front.

udm
01-10-2011, 12:16 PM
You may also want to check out Edgar Rice Burroughs. In addition to the Tarzan books, he also wrote the series featuring John Carter of Mars (A Princess of Mars), Pellucidar (At the Earth's Core), and Carson of Venus.

Jude
I read Tarzan of the Apes, The Return of Tarzan and A Princess of Mars some months ago. Suffice to say, I'm now a huge fan of Burroughs as well. In fact, it's easy to see where Howard got his writing inspiration from. A lot of descriptions were taken out of Burroughs' text, such as "piece of scalp hanging from the head". Really engaging, brilliant works.

I would also recommend David Gemmell for people who like high or med fantasy. Of stronger recommendation would be titles like Morningstar, Legend and other related Drenai or Druss the Legend stories, the Jon Shannow series and the Hawk Queen. It's a shame he passed away recently, as he's another one of the better writers I've come across.

Inspired
01-11-2011, 07:47 AM
I've enjoyed every series that Robin Hobb has came out with as well as L.E. Modesitt Jr.

Delilah Rehm
01-11-2011, 10:00 AM
I met Robin Hobb at a writers convention and she looks just like Steven's aunt! :eek:

Inspired
01-12-2011, 03:47 AM
I was actually shocked when I saw a picture of her because she doesn't look anything like I pictured she would. She looks a lot older than I imagined. She is still a great writer. The only complaint I have with her is in the Assassin triology she seemed to make the main character into kind of a wuss. It was still a great read, but it wasn't till the third book that he started coming into his own.. and he is suppose to be an assassin.. Anyway, done with my rant. Still a great read.

DeathKnight1728
01-13-2011, 10:26 PM
This is for delilah and any other people that would be interested in reading a short (about 20 page) story. I wrote a short story in a world and town I came up with 4 years ago. I recently got it on kindle a year ago. If anyone is interested in reading a dark short story about a thief then i would be glad to send it to whoever wants it. It didnt do well on kindle and i rarely write now, but..I would be more than glad to let anyone read it if they are interested.

udm
01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I'm interested, do you have a pdf copy of it? :)

DeathKnight1728
01-25-2011, 02:56 PM
If you send me a message with what email address you want it sent to, ill send it with the title- Trials of a Master Thief. I will send the actual word document that is so you can either read it from there or print it out. If that works.

frank911
03-02-2011, 05:07 AM
i read Salomon Kane and liked it a lot.

DarkShrike
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Now that the Monday spambot invasion has been stomped on... (thanks Shadow!!!)

Delilah, I am very slowly working my way through the Heris Serrano stories and enjoy them a lot. Thanks for the suggestion oh so far back.

Has anyone here read or in the process of reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? I am finding it to be a great read.

Also I am now four books into the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Think Buck Rogers crossed with Battlestar Galactica and a twist of space combat from Honor Harrington. It has been a quick read and I love the story though I do have a hard time believing that the military would have degraded as much as they have in the story - though I guess 100 years of war would have interesting drains on a space based society.

Delilah Rehm
03-28-2011, 11:50 AM
This is for delilah and any other people that would be interested in reading a short (about 20 page) story. I wrote a short story in a world and town I came up with 4 years ago. I recently got it on kindle a year ago. If anyone is interested in reading a dark short story about a thief then i would be glad to send it to whoever wants it. It didnt do well on kindle and i rarely write now, but..I would be more than glad to let anyone read it if they are interested.

Yeah, the digital market is still in it's infancy and there isn't much of any market for short stories. I haven't been writing at all this year, but plan to get back into it this summer... somehow... with the kids home all day. (Stop crushing my dreams, reality!) ;)

One of these days when I get an ereader, I'd love to take a look at your story! I'm going to have a hard time not using real books though, because sometimes all 4 people in the house read a series (like Harry Potter and Uglies). Not sure how that will work... Also don't trust the kids with expensive devises. They lose things! :eek:

Delilah Rehm
03-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Seeing DoP and Din's Curse storylines somewhat reminds me of an author whose books I've been re-reading again lately: Robert E. Howard. I really recommend his works, especially Conan and Solomon Kane. These are very good reads, and I think you will enjoy them ;)

Finally ran into some Conan books (I'm not a big shopper) and was surprised at the number of different authors. Sadly, I forgot the name you'd mentioned (Howard). Oops! :o

DarkShrike
03-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Yeah, the digital market is still in it's infancy and there isn't much of any market for short stories. I haven't been writing at all this year, but plan to get back into it this summer... somehow... with the kids home all day. (Stop crushing my dreams, reality!) ;)

One of these days when I get an ereader, I'd love to take a look at your story! I'm going to have a hard time not using real books though, because sometimes all 4 people in the house read a series (like Harry Potter and Uglies). Not sure how that will work... Also don't trust the kids with expensive devises. They lose things! :eek:

Oh how I wish that the Harry Potter series was available in eForm (well at least in eForm for either device that "I" use).

Has your family worked through the Percy Jackson series yet?

Delilah Rehm
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Now that the Monday spambot invasion has been stomped on... (thanks Shadow!!!)

Delilah, I am very slowly working my way through the Heris Serrano stories and enjoy them a lot. Thanks for the suggestion oh so far back.

Has anyone here read or in the process of reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss? I am finding it to be a great read.

Also I am now four books into the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Think Buck Rogers crossed with Battlestar Galactica and a twist of space combat from Honor Harrington. It has been a quick read and I love the story though I do have a hard time believing that the military would have degraded as much as they have in the story - though I guess 100 years of war would have interesting drains on a space based society.

Elizabeth Moon is one of my top three fave authors. I devoured the Serrano series! Also on that list is Octavia Butler (fantasy/dystopia/post economic disaster/aliens) and Margaret Weis (middle ages fantasy with dragons and such, also some space faring science fiction).

Others I have loved recently includes YA (teen) author, Scott Westerfeld (future dystopia, modern day fantasy/science fiction), and Patricia Briggs (urban fantasy, but not girly at all). I even made Steven read the first Patricia Briggs and he tore through the rest of them like I did. :D

Shadow
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Also I am now four books into the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell. Think Buck Rogers crossed with Battlestar Galactica and a twist of space combat from Honor Harrington.

That's sounds interesting, I'll have to look for that series.

Delilah Rehm
03-28-2011, 02:11 PM
I've read the first of the Percy Jackson series and my son has read a few. My daughter refuses on principle, because the movie trailer looked copied from Harry Potter! :rolleyes: Maybe she'll change her mind in a few years.

udm
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
Finally ran into some Conan books (I'm not a big shopper) and was surprised at the number of different authors. Sadly, I forgot the name you'd mentioned (Howard). Oops! :o

Eyup make sure you start with those by Howard. I'm not a big fan of the pastiches, even though some are decent fantasy romps. Howard is the real master of sword & sorcery :). Another recommended set of works by Howard, if you can find it, is his horror stories, published by Del Rey. In particular, his most famous horror yarn "Pigeons From Hell" is terrific. I'd also recommend you to pick up Heroes in the Wind: From Kull to Conan, which contains some of Howard's best works from different genres, including his most complex Western frontier story "Vultures of Wahpeton" (which IMO is his best story ever written).

Anyway recently I've been reading through a lot of Sherlock Holmes. I've finished most of the stories, including The Hound of the Baskervilles and A Study in Scarlet, both of which are excellent. You don't even need to be a fan of detective stories - they're just so exciting to read, and it's not difficult to see where a lot of contemporary pulp fiction authors got their inspiration from.

Then there's Simon R Green whom I've never heard of before prior to last month, and whose book (Just Another Judgment Day) I picked up on a whim, but I was really surprised by how well-written the story is. Great story if you're into weird fiction.

Finally, in the past few months, I've been plowing through various authors' works, including Jack London's White Fang (brilliant!!!!) and Call of the Wild, book 3 of Asimov's Robot series, and Edgar Rice Burroughs' works which I simply can't get enough of.

DeathKnight1728
08-09-2011, 07:01 AM
I just published a children's fantasy short story on Amazon kindle. I got a bunch of recommendations from delilah and other of you guys on here. Just thought I'd mention this story I wrote in case anyone's interested or has children. The story is about a mix-race boy that has trouble with his filial and family relationships growing up and how he deals with it. The story is based on the life of someone close to me.

Link-http://www.amazon.com/Hopefully-Someone-Special-ebook/dp/B005FIDE28/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312884092&sr=8-1

Shadow
08-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Very cool!