PDA

View Full Version : Share your funny/interesting experiences

udm
03-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Seeing as to how there aren't any such threads yet after a quick skim through the forum, I'll start the ball rolling.

I was attacked by a traitor just now, while I was healing at a healing stone. I stunned him with Smokescreen, and ran away. Because he also took some damage previously, he decided to heal at the stone. Now it was my turn to sneak up on him, and obliterate him.

Then there was another once I was fighting a group of various mobs. There was a cave-in, which seriously injured me, but killed all the other mobs. So, I was pretty happy about it, until I accidentally stumbled upon a trap, which unleashed a lot of other mobs. I tried to run. Only problem was, the cave-in trapped me. And the mobs. Not surprisingly, the mob cornered me and I died. :D

Cadfan
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
I killed a named monster, only to have him immediately reappear under a new notice- now, instead of being alone, he was in a group! At first I was annoyed, because I'd killed that guy and he didn't stay dead. But when I found his group, it was a named necromancer and the original boss monster as a zombie.

MasterMorality
03-25-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm only able to get the demo at this point due to some necessary buying of clothing and other more essential items before I buy this, but happy to say that even with this limit I've had a few interesting and funny encounters.

A few days ago I found someone who wanted to be transported to level five of the dungeon from four, not knowing where five was, I was probably going to have to drag around a bit and hope she didn't die.
Turn a corner, the passage was blocked by some exploding barrels, I figured I'd survive them and if she was down here she'd probably survive the blast too, so I took a couple of steps back and hit them. Dead woman. Damn...

And then there was the time I came across an invincible orc. Not having played for long i'd never come across holy shield. This orc had one. Luckily i was pretty tanky and as much as I couldn't hurt him, he couldn't hurt me much either. I sat there for a minute hacking at him before realising I wasn't getting anywhere and then ran around him and took blows as he tried to wear me down. Eventually he returned to being a normal orc and obliterated him :)

And finally the surprise challenge. I can't remember what class hybrid I was playing, but I entered a new level, and you know how the monsters usually just die when you hit them and don't present much of a threat? I ran into a scavenger i think it was a unique, it had a few buffs on it, and it was huge. So it steamrolled me.

Respawn went down, killed some more monsters, no sign of scavenger, loot some bodies and "wham!" huge scavenger steamrollers me again.
This went on about three times, I could not hurt it for a tenth of what it was doing to me. Serious damage, took me out in about three to five hits. Eventually there were no more monsters it could feed off and I caught it as a small scavenger and killed it. But it was certainly an awesome twist.

And just a cool little randomly atmospheric instance: new character, entering first dungeon, level 1. Small room, open the door, step through, cave in behind me. I realise I could have just hacked it out of the way, but it was too cool to destroy.

udm
03-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I managed to kill this heavily buffed boss who was 10 levels higher than me, because apparently he got into a tussle with some other mobs and he had less than 1/10 of his HP left. All it took was a little tap from me to take him out :D

Cadfan
03-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I've got a warlock specializing in lightning spells... she's run into a boss with both major and minor regeneration. I don't think killing it is possible at her level.

udm
03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Ack! I should have taken a screenshot of the boss I fought just now then. While he doesn't have regeneration, he doesn't need to critical hit me to reduce my life bar to 50% in just one hit. When he does critical hit me, its an instant KO.

The worst part was, the entire dungeon was flooded with monsters who were on his side - no rival factions. I had to strategize (playing a Trickster/Gladiator) in order to take him down. It was incredibly difficult, but when I killed him (got 12k XP lol), oh boy that feeling.......

FloodSpectre
03-27-2010, 02:17 PM
I ran into a Major Giant Undead Totem once. It was twice as big as my character.

Cadfan
03-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Just wait until higher levels, UDM. You'll meet boss monsters who kill you in one hit without criticals.

udm
03-28-2010, 02:25 AM
At what level will that be?

Trelow
03-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Last week I had a town that took me several hours to clear. Everyone was petrified except Din and one other, then about halfway through curing everyone we get the plague. Never mind the boss meetings I never made it to, hell, I think control of the dungeon changed hands 4-5 times before I made it down to kill Bonecrusher or whoever it was by then.

Best part? About three of the townsfolk had names that were like 20 characters long.

udm
03-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I had a similar encounter once. Had like 10 uprisings before everyone finally settled down. I got a bit tired after the 3rd Scarbarus uprising. Funnily enough, every monster faction wanted me to kill the Broods at the same time too. Me thinks the Broods were behind everything right from the beginning lol.

udm
03-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I just had a pretty epic cave-in. Was fighting a Champion Naga, when the cave-in happened. It fell in one consecutive line, one at a time. The first one crushed the Naga. I tried to run, and I managed to outrun about 2 cave-ins, but the 3rd one got me. Pretty damn epic.

Inspired
03-30-2010, 05:14 PM
I had an interesting experience where I was rescuing someone on the third floor and we were surrouned by tons of baddies and I didn't think he was going to survive, but he did with like a sliver of his health bar remaining. I ran over to talk to him and we fell two stories and were surrounded again. I accepted the fact that he was going to die and there was nothing I could do about it, so I was just fighting at average speed and was down to the last mob, an undead mage and the guy I needed to rescue was still alive, so I was like "Alright, this could work". I ran over to kill the mage and he revived one of the other baddies who killed my quest guy. I was pretty upset. lol

MasterMorality
03-30-2010, 06:38 PM
That's painful XP

FloodSpectre
03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
I just had a pretty epic cave-in. Was fighting a Champion Naga, when the cave-in happened. It fell in one consecutive line, one at a time. The first one crushed the Naga. I tried to run, and I managed to outrun about 2 cave-ins, but the 3rd one got me. Pretty damn epic.

I read this post and couldn't help but hear Indiana Jones music in my head.

Then it turned into the Superman theme. That ALWAYS happens to me.

udm
03-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Heheh yeah the Raiders theme was playing in my head too :D

Valgor
03-31-2010, 01:36 PM

That's nothing compared to what happened to my Paladin/Sorcerer hybrid some time ago... he fell through a trapdoor into a previously unexplored level of the dungeon, right on top of a cave-in trap. The game ground to a sudden halt, and about five seconds later, the WHOLE F***ING CEILING had come down; literally. The entire dungeon floor was covered in cave-ins, not a single 'tile' was left unoccupied. Everything had died, all objects were destroyed... there was a whole lot of digging to be done when I went to retrieve the soulstone afterwards.

Luckily, all of the rubble was cleared away after exiting and re-entering the game.

udm
03-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Jebus...that's hardcore:eek:

Inspired
03-31-2010, 07:52 PM
So, at level 32 I killed a level 41 super boss named toxic faith and recieved 7k experience for killing and 33k exp for turning the quest in.. So so awesome!

Greyhead
04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
One time when I was playing with a friend the monsters kept declaring war on each other. This happened about a dozen times before it was finished. I think they were to busy killing each other to attack the town.

Another time when I started a town everyone in town expect for Din and the apothecary had been shrunk. I couldn't stop laughing. I think I discovered a pygmy village. :D

When I was testing out Tornado once, the ceiling started Collapsing away from me in a circular pattern. It ended up hitting the whole room (and me).

udm
04-03-2010, 08:24 AM
I just created the most hardcore town ever. No vendors, no NPCs but the Warmaster and Din's Avatar. This town is badass.

Kruztee
04-03-2010, 08:45 AM
I just saved an epic town. One of the modifiers was "Wars" and the dungeon was in a massively chaotic state. I think that the toughest quests to solve are the "Break up the meeting between X and Y" type ones, and this town had dozens of them. Every now and then a faction would gain the upper hand and raid the town. I had used my teleport stone and was miles away from a gate when a raiding party of Saurians killed the Apothecary and the Steward as well as the Armoursmith and one of the townsfolk. I managed subsequently to recruit a replacement Steward and Apothecary, but the town was forever without an Armoursmith after that raid. There was a Town Jeweller that sold me both Fire Ward and Blazing Orb at various points in the game, and I was always riding the knife edge of saving or losing the town. It was my most memorable game yet! 92 quests solved, 33 failed and 4 NPC's dead! Awesome stuff!

udm
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
92 quests? Epic!

Caal
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM
"War" is probably the most involving mod a town can have. I had a similar town to Krustee's and I admire the patience it must have taken to get through it. I abandoned mine after several hours and never had less than four quests to go and had as many as 15. So grats to you - awesome job.

udm
04-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Whoa. I was supposed to stop this meeting between Torment (Wraith) and Shadowfire (Shade). I found the "meeting place". Shadowfire attacked me, so I killed him. Where's Torment, I thought. 5 seconds later, the game said that I failed to stop the meeting, and we are now at war with the Wraiths. 20 seconds later, I found Torment hiding in another end of the dungeon. Looks like ol' Torment managed to get away in time before I killed Shadowfire.

Mischief Maker
04-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I started a game with a new character. The entire village was in ruins, only the Warmaster was alive. Din had no quests for me. The Warmaster bid me kill the boss on floor 1. Sure enough, there was the boss, he was only level 1, and I stomped him handily with my brand new character. I redeem the one quest and the game says, "Hooray! You saved the village."

Yay for that one guy, I guess.

Inspired
04-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Udm, I've had that happen. I usually get nervous when I see one of the monsters I am suppose to kill and just try to kill that one without looking around for the other one first.

Misc, that is awesome. I wish I could get a town like that. I like throwing on 310% mf potions and opening the reward chest.

I've recently rescued someone and right after I rescued them they went traitor and tried to kill me but they already had poison from a monster and died before they even got to me. lol. I think that is awesome.

Roswitha
04-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I was playing the demo (the real thing gets to wait til payday) and saved the town, but I was only on level 5 of 13, so I decided to continue down to 13. I made it all the way to level 13 without being killed once. Then I saw a tunnel full of barrels and went up and broke the first one. The whole mass exploded and brought down the ceiling. Instantly dead.

I did learn from the experience, however. The next time I saw a tunnel full of barrels, I backed off and lobbed an oil flask (?) at it. Explosion. No cave-in. And no damage to me. :)

(name here)
04-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Demo one, first dungeon actually.

I was hunting a cruel torva, on a level full of orcs and zombies. I kept running into undead torva, of course, but when I returned to a small area of the dungeon (The map is not easy to navigate, incidentally) I met 6 undead torvas and one zombie. The area had been overrun by the undead, no living monsters were in the immediate area.

Incidentally, I didn't see any undead orcs on that level.

FloodSpectre
04-04-2010, 10:34 AM
Incidentally, I didn't see any undead orcs on that level.

Orcs can't be raised from the dead, ever. I'm pretty sure if you were to go back to DoP you'd find it mentioned in one of the books. It probably says this in the Bestiary description too, but I keep forgetting to check in there.

Shadow
04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
The lore goes something like this: a necromancer once tried to create some zombies from live elves (he thought they were dead). The raise failed of course since they weren't dead. However, the spell transformed the elves into orcs and then the necro was promptly ripped into shreds.

(name here)
04-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh, right, the orc mother story. Kind of embarrassed to have forgotten that, it was slightly important.

(name here)
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
New one: I started a war between the skeletons and zombies.

Tr1poD
04-06-2010, 07:55 PM
I've been playing for a couple of days and just had my first town loss.

Just as I was about to buy some food from my only remaining vendor this sky scraper sized monstrosity appears, starts to attack and proceeds to kill the vendor, leaving me with no way to heal and to top it off another pretty large boss appears a few moments later. Both of them decide to kill me a few times so I have a nice XP dept and then finish off the town. So much fun :)

Pic 1 (http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/Tr1poD/Dins%20Curse/ss0002.jpg)

Pic 2 (http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/Tr1poD/Dins%20Curse/ss0003.jpg)

FloodSpectre
04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Ouch. That's brutal. I almost never get town attacks, and definitely not like that...

Roswitha
04-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, what would have happened if Tr1poD had abandoned the town just before the monsters wiped it out? Which is worse for your reputation, losing a town or abandoning it?

Kruztee
04-08-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm not sure that there is *any* penalty for abandoning a town. Perhaps there should be?

Valgor
04-08-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure that there is *any* penalty for abandoning a town. Perhaps there should be?

My bad conscience for leaving some mostly helpless villagers out in the cold is enough of a penalty for me... even if the situation was pretty hopeless.

Speaking of hopeless situations; yesterday I had to deal with two Super Bosses at once, on the same dungeon level, in the same corridor, one of them a giant Scavenger that regenerated. Oh joy...
I finally beat them both, abusing a nearby town gate. Nevertheless, I must've spent more than a couple of GP on healing potions, and I died several times in town, on my way to Din's Altar because the Scavenger's attacks had a good chance to inflict Deep Wounds, which ticked off a healthy helping of 70 HP per second.
The whole endeavor left me with a 10.000+ XP debt, but it was immensely satisfying when I was finally able to hand both their bloody heads to the Warmaster... :D

The story continues...
In the next town, I ran into the same damn Scavenger boss. He must've been following me. :eek:
I've declared him my new arch-nemesis; his name is Feast, he's a Major Beserker and regenerates 1,5% of his total health per second. Oh, and he likes to eat cave-ins I've just destroyed.
That is, he gnaws on them until they've faded.

By the way, is that another transparency issue I spot on Paean's headdress in the screenshots Tr1poD posted?

FloodSpectre
04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Mmmm, delicious cave-ins....

Maybe that should be reported as a bug and fixed.

Shadow
04-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Mmmm, delicious cave-ins....

Maybe that should be reported as a bug and fixed.

Don't worry I read these also. A rock eating monster would be kind of cool, but scavengers shouldn't be doing it.

Roswitha
04-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Now that was a long game.

I was playing a Weaponmaster/Trickster who was about level 7 or 8 when I started. The game started with world modifiers Darkness, Horror, Fear, Warehouse, and Plague. Right at the beginning, a monster built a darkness machine so things were even darker. I had to navigate almost completely by the mini-map since I could hardly see a thing. Even when it was destroyed and the town built a brightness machine, things didn't improve all that much.

Then the town attacks started. And never ended. Sometimes they piled on top of each other. Other times I would be halfway down the hallway from the gate when another alarm would go off. I got really good at Stealthing (if I wasn't already) and tearing through the hallways to the nearest gate. I got down to the Warmaster a couple of times but never lost him. By the end of the game, there were three statues of me in town. (Anybody know what triggers those?) And since I was dealing with town attacks, the monsters got out of control. There were gates and machines all over the place.

What saved me was the Warehouse modifier (the monsters must be packrats or something). The monsters were regularly dropping some really nice stuff. I ended the game with a couple of Legendary items, several Elite items, and some green items that did +2 or +3 to all attributes. (I posted the character in the appropriate thread.) I got so I could single-hit kill most of the monsters.

Very nice game. :)

tkirby2003
04-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I just lost a town due to a Rage named Bloodbrute. He had thorns and +300% damage. He walked into the middle of town and the whole town attacked him and died at the same time. Very nasty. Thorns killed everyone. I had him down to a sliver of health too.

Stardusts
04-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I was on a rescue mission and after I cleared all the mobs attacking the NPC, he was almost dead with a DoT on. I was able to click him, chose rescue and got the quest done just before he died :D. He had a nice gold item in his body and the completed quest helped me lv up :cool:.

MasterMorality
04-16-2010, 05:20 PM
Had a brilliant one today. It was a rescue mission on the 1st level.
So i grab my character and run down. I find myself in a small enclosed room with a door and the stairs to the surface. And the rescuable NPC screaming "I don't want to die!"

It made me laugh :)

Edit:

Longest game in the world:

I was bored and set up an online game. No one came, but I kept at it.
basically this town had a six level dungeon, and about five or so elites and a couple of bosses at the start. So I start off level 12. After butchering my way down 6 levels of dungeon, I kill everything and get it all done. And then a town attack happens. ANd then a curse, and then a renegade, and then more elites meet up and then this happens and that happens. It went on an on and on! I went through about 30 elites and 10 bosses before I finally gave up and quit.
Most epic town so far, and while incredibly fun, was very wearing.

Shadow
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Had a brilliant one today. It was a rescue mission on the 1st level.
So i grab my character and run down. I find myself in a small enclosed room with a door and the stairs to the surface. And the rescuable NPC screaming "I don't want to die!"

It made me laugh :)

I've had this happen before, except he went renegade on me and setup an ambush.

TheRani
04-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Today, my level 8 Priestess was exploring level 3 of a dungeon, searching for a way down to the 4th floor, and discovered that the narrow passage leading to the stairs down was completely blocked off by something like 5 Support Beams, making it pretty much impossible to go down to the 4th level without being crushed by the mother and father of all cave-ins. Good thing she wasn't hardcore!

Caal
04-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I had a quest to kill a purple boss named "Recon Totem" who was - you guessed it - a recon totem.

elsol69
04-19-2010, 01:15 PM
So I'm playing a FireMage/Healer, And this character's mentality is that she's never met something that couldn't do with a fireball thrown at it.

So about the fifth dungeon in... I realize I'm getting more experience for blowing up doors and barrels than I am for mobs.

Seriously!

I don't know if it's a bug or a world affect, since I'd never noticed it before. Little mob gives me 15 exp -- a door gives me 238exp per fireball I hit it with.

I'm waiting for the 'Set all doors aflame' quest.

graffen69
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
One of my current games has 7 world modifiers: Monster Traps, Trickster Realm, Spiders, Unstable, Clutter, Gargoyles and Bright.
What´s the record?

TheRani
04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
So I'm playing a FireMage/Healer, And this character's mentality is that she's never met something that couldn't do with a fireball thrown at it.

So about the fifth dungeon in... I realize I'm getting more experience for blowing up doors and barrels than I am for mobs.

Seriously!

I don't know if it's a bug or a world affect, since I'd never noticed it before. Little mob gives me 15 exp -- a door gives me 238exp per fireball I hit it with.

I'm waiting for the 'Set all doors aflame' quest.

I don't get experience for destroying a barrel unless it was trapped (explosive or poison) and my "Disarm Traps" disarmed it.

Vlaros
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
My friend and I had one level of a dungeon that just would NOT stop generating revenant uprisings. This one particular room in the place had an insatiable respawn rate. We'd clear the room, step outside it for 5 seconds, turn back around and the place was in an uproar all over again.

We had so much AE damage going on in there between nagas, revenants, myself (Druid/Sorcerer), and my friend (Gladiator/Assassin) that we caused epic cave-ins numerous times. But that wouldn't stop 'em. The place was just a hotbed for revenants. We must've completed 20 revenant uprising quests before we decided to move on to the next town.

And by the way, Earthquake, the druid spell, is so insanely dangerous. You can spam that badboy to your heart's content. Well, at least until 20 tons of rocks land on your face. Thinking that spell could use a cooldown or something. It's just way over-the-top nasty at clearing a room.

TheRani
04-25-2010, 05:56 PM
My friend and I had one level of a dungeon that just would NOT stop generating revenant uprisings. This one particular room in the place had an insatiable respawn rate. We'd clear the room, step outside it for 5 seconds, turn back around and the place was in an uproar all over again.

We had so much AE damage going on in there between nagas, revenants, myself (Druid/Sorcerer), and my friend (Gladiator/Assassin) that we caused epic cave-ins numerous times. But that wouldn't stop 'em. The place was just a hotbed for revenants. We must've completed 20 revenant uprising quests before we decided to move on to the next town.

And by the way, Earthquake, the druid spell, is so insanely dangerous. You can spam that badboy to your heart's content. Well, at least until 20 tons of rocks land on your face. Thinking that spell could use a cooldown or something. It's just way over-the-top nasty at clearing a room.

Maybe he figured that Earthquake didn't need a cooldown because the time it takes for you to come back from town and retrieve your soulstone from a mountain of rubble was sufficient? :D

Caal
04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
One of my current games has 7 world modifiers: Monster Traps, Trickster Realm, Spiders, Unstable, Clutter, Gargoyles and Bright.
What´s the record?

And you could have had 8 if you added fast or slow pace.

Jorlen
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Couple questions, if I may.

Roswitha - how the heck did you get to do 133 quests? The towns I do right now only have about a dozen floors and I save the town after playing for an hour. Does this change with character level?

Graffen69 - you mention world modifiers - how do you see these?

Shadow
04-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Graffen69 - you mention world modifiers - how do you see these?

They are shown on the world map, well at least the non-hidden ones.

Roswitha
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Couple questions, if I may.

Roswitha - how the heck did you get to do 133 quests? The towns I do right now only have about a dozen floors and I save the town after playing for an hour. Does this change with character level?

The short answer is random chance and persistence. It doesn't change with character level; this character was about level 7 and it was her third dungeon; I think it only had about a dozen floors. Dungeons before and since have mostly been what you're describing.

There was a boss monster on about level 5. I had world modifiers Fear and Horror (not entirely clear what they do) that I _think_ encouraged the boss to cause more trouble than he ordinarily would. I had a couple other modifiers (Darkness and Plague) that prevented me from getting down there to deal with him. I had an indoor dungeon layout: lots of long corridors and rooms with closed doors. Gates and stairs were behind the doors, so I couldn't just peek at the mini-map and aim for them. There was a darkness machine as well, so unless I was at an intersection (with torches), I could see my character and that was it.

While I was busy collecting stuff to clear out the plague, the boss monster was sending monsters to other levels to cause trouble, which they did; uprisings, groups, assorted machines, and so forth. About the time I cleared out the plague, the monsters built a recon totem and started doing town attacks. Killing a critter attacking the town counts as a successfully completed quest. With all of the town attacks, it was quite difficult to penetrate deeper into the dungeon. I had to to keep running back to defend the town while the monsters continued their mischief down below.

I was picking up a lot of treasure (due to the Warehouse modifier) and what eventually turned the tide and let me get ahead was a couple of items. I found a chain mail shirt with armor 70 (current was about 30) and a weapon with DPS 30 (current was about 20). At that point I was able to start clearing out some of the groups and their machines, get back some of my NPCs, and eventually save the town. If I had given up early and hadn't saved the town, nobody would have known how many quests I did. :)

graffen69
04-27-2010, 11:00 PM
They are shown on the world map, well at least the non-hidden ones.

I wasn´t aware of this. I ussally check all showns world modifiers at the beginning of a town spawns, pausing the game and reading all the text information in the chat box.

Shadow
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I wasn´t aware of this. I ussally check all showns world modifiers at the beginning of a town spawns, pausing the game and reading all the text information in the chat box.

The ones on the world map even give a little bit of description if you hover over them with the mouse.

Jorlen
04-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Until I read Roswitha's message, I wasn't even aware that these modifiers existed! What an awesome idea to make things even more random.

BTW Roswitha - thanks for posting your explanation of how you got 133 quests lol that makes sense :) I got as high as 30 I think I can't seem to top that.

Shadow
04-28-2010, 10:16 AM
I find it kind of interesting as a developer that the number of quests solved in one town wasn't a topic until I added in the summary page. :)

Kruztee
04-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I find it kind of interesting as a developer that the number of quests solved in one town wasn't a topic until I added in the summary page. :)

LOL:D

So true.

And my question about mana regen items would never have surfaced either until the added "other stats" page implementation. I would have just assumed that the game was taking care of things for me (which it seems it is, despite numbers not being displayed correctly on the stats page).

Roswitha
04-28-2010, 11:30 AM

That's not really surprising. It's hard to have a discussion when neither of you knows how many you've done.

If you wanted to start another discussion topic, you could add a line to the summary page that says "You saved the town in X hours and Y minutes."

Shadow
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
That's not really surprising. It's hard to have a discussion when neither of you knows how many you've done.

If you wanted to start another discussion topic, you could add a line to the summary page that says "You saved the town in X hours and Y minutes."

No, it's not surprising. It's just interesting how things change when nothing has changed functionally, but a little bit of information has been exposed.

MasterMorality
04-30-2010, 09:13 PM
The town I'm in right now is hard. Like, stuff just seems to be stacked up against me, it's hilarious. There are a lot of town attacks, a lot of uniques and groups and meetings, a lot of everything, and it's not even war modded.

I'm trying to fight my way through to level 9 - I'm at the start of level 5 now. And just killed the boss of that level, a rather nasty skeleton warrior called Gloomvile who had:
stone skin - 200% armour, Major quickness - -43% attack time, Cold resistance and cold imbued which gave him 150% cold resistance with 25-50% cold damage. He was a right tank. Halfway through killing him I got cursed.

Straight after killing him an assassin named toad attacked the town, who wasn't as hard as Gloomvile, but still kinda pesky with his minor regeneration, minor lightning resist, minor elemental resist, elemental imbued and minor zealot traits.

And then I got plague.

There's a poison running through the town killing everything which sets the battle alarm off 24/7 so I've had to mute the sound on my game, and it's also kinda annoying because it doesn't alert me to new attacks if I miss the text update, because of the poison. I think that's been put up as a bug somewhere?

Either way, this town is going to die.
There's not much I can do to save it at this point, there are about five people left standing, not including Din XP

DeathKnight1728
04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
I think the funniest thing that happens, happens all the time. That is monsters killing their enemies and themselves in the process with fire. That's the only real thing, only other thing is a nagging amount of teleportations (in a row) until im at the last floor, with a lich or whatever with an army ready to blow me into pieces.

Framistan
05-03-2010, 04:28 AM
I just climbed down a level, to find myself in a vault full of chests and a big boss. It was quite special, the boss couldn't attack me until I smashed the chests. After killing the boss I could of course pick up all the money that was laying around. Oh, and there was a teleporter back to town just outside, for convenience. :D

MasterMorality
05-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Hmmm, for some reason that reminds of doom.

Shadow
05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
I just climbed down a level, to find myself in a vault full of chests and a big boss. It was quite special, the boss couldn't attack me until I smashed the chests. After killing the boss I could of course pick up all the money that was laying around. Oh, and there was a teleporter back to town just outside, for convenience. :D

Some of the monsters would gladly smash the chests for you to get to you. :)

Kruztee
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
I made a Doom level like a zoo where all the mobs were in various kinds of cages or areas with moats around them. The player could just walk around the level and look at all the mobs in the game (dodging fireballs and such:rolleyes:) I'd guess that was back in 1994.

MasterMorality
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
First character - Ghorgoth earned his freedom today, at level 22 for killing a boss mob. :D

Caal
05-04-2010, 07:39 PM
This must be one nasty dude.

DeathKnight1728
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
hahhahahahahah

Roswitha
05-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I started a multiplayer game and then had to leave for a while, so I paused it. When I came back, I found that somebody else had come in and saved the town and left a bunch of nice stuff on the ground. Thanks for the help, whoever it was. :)

Kruztee
05-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Yeah, that was me =)

Actually, the stuff on the ground was from the dungeon, so technically, it's just your share.

There was no warmaster in that game. I waited for ages but no quest to recruit another one came up. Did you end up finishing it? The only quests left were the ones that needed to be handed in to a warmaster.

Kruztee
05-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I got a message "Sel (Townsperson) has left you a gift in town".

Goody! I run back to town and open the chest to reveal....

nothing.:confused:

Thanks Sel. You're officially off my christmas card list.

Jorlen
05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I got a message "Sel (Townsperson) has left you a gift in town".

Goody! I run back to town and open the chest to reveal....

nothing.:confused:

Thanks Sel. You're officially off my christmas card list.

So she hand-crafted a beautiful chest for you, it took her days, and you just open it and walk away? Poor Sel! She probably saw you using your stash and thought a second one would do you some good ;)

Roswitha
05-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah, that was me =)

Actually, the stuff on the ground was from the dungeon, so technically, it's just your share.

There was no warmaster in that game. I waited for ages but no quest to recruit another one came up. Did you end up finishing it? The only quests left were the ones that needed to be handed in to a warmaster.

The warmaster got killed in a town attack earlier. I didn't finish it. I just exited.

I haven't played multi before. Are there any unwritten rules about sharing the loot?

Kruztee
05-05-2010, 06:52 PM
So she hand-crafted a beautiful chest for you, it took her days, and you just open it and walk away? Poor Sel! She probably saw you using your stash and thought a second one would do you some good ;)

Yeah, now that you mention it, it WAS a damn fine chest.

DeathKnight1728
05-05-2010, 11:16 PM
I just learned something from creeping broods (the little invisible bugs with dagger arms), They are pathetic alone, but together....they are nuts. I got ambushed by like 20 of them with 5 ghosts. I know...it was reckless. I killed a bunch and they just kept coming. I couldn't move..and i died. I never thought they were that tough...

TheRani
05-06-2010, 12:03 AM
In any build, it's always nice to have some form of crowd control.

Caal
05-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I just learned something from creeping broods (the little invisible bugs with dagger arms), They are pathetic alone, but together....they are nuts. I got ambushed by like 20 of them with 5 ghosts. I know...it was reckless. I killed a bunch and they just kept coming. I couldn't move..and i died. I never thought they were that tough...

Let that be a lesson to all the kids out there - don't mess with giant invisible cockroaches. :D

elsol69
05-06-2010, 02:16 PM
I started a new build -- Archer/Weaponmaster. (My Archer/Assassin was a little too spread out.)

Anyway -- my first town has... *drumroll* the warmaster and din.

No townspeople, no buildings, no gambler, no vendors, no side gates... just the warmaster, din, the dungeon gate, and the entrance to level 1.

I think this will be a fun character.

Framistan
05-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I've also been in towns that are pretty much in ruins from the start. I prefer the more populated towns, though.

elsol69
05-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I've also been in towns that are pretty much in ruins from the start. I prefer the more populated towns, though.

And 1 quest gave me the save... because avenging the town was saving it.

I guess Din's Curse is not of the 'dig two graves if you want revenge' mentality.

TheRani
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
And 1 quest gave me the save... because avenging the town was saving it.

I guess Din's Curse is not of the 'dig two graves if you want revenge' mentality.

That's always the case for me. If it's a ruined town, there's only going to be one quest, and it's going to be a revenge against a boss quest. It's just as well. If it turned out to be lots of quests, can you imagine how much that would suck with no vendors?

Kruztee
05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
But what if the game in these circumstances prioritised vendor and townfolk quests? I think it might be cool. Eventually you might get quests to "fetch 5 ceramic tiles to help me rebuild the armoursmith area" . :) The town might be saved once it has enough supplies and citizens to peform basic economic tasks again, and at least 1 each of steward, apothecary and warmaster. Since the town is so poor, quest rewards could be in the form of food and potions to make up for the lack of vendors initially.

TheRani
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
But what if the game in these circumstances prioritised vendor and townfolk quests? I think it might be cool. Eventually you might get quests to "fetch 5 ceramic tiles to help me rebuild the armoursmith area" . :) The town might be saved once it has enough supplies and citizens to peform basic economic tasks again, and at least 1 each of steward, apothecary and warmaster. Since the town is so poor, quest rewards could be in the form of food and potions to make up for the lack of vendors initially.

For a ruined town, I think a revenge quest is the only kind that really makes sense. How much sense does it make to rebuild a town and recruit vendors for a town with a population of 1? It makes more sense just to get some vengeance and for that last man standing to move to another town, comforted by the knowledge that the boss monster that destroyed his last town won't be coming after this one.

Jorlen
05-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I had a random boss in level 1 ask me for a ransom or else he'd kill the warmaster lol. I've put in 50 hours in this game and that has never come up. Made me laugh. Of course I said no and killed the boss. Zero tolerance!

Caal
05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
A large pile of dead bodies that forms a happy face in the minimap ... creepy.

Shadow
05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
A large pile of dead bodies that forms a happy face in the minimap ... creepy.

That's pretty funny.

Jorlen
05-14-2010, 09:55 AM
That's pretty funny.

Was that completely random, or was the body-map-smiley programmed in like that?

Shadow
05-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Was that completely random, or was the body-map-smiley programmed in like that?

It wasn't me. You can get a group of dead bodies near each other, but there is nothing programmed specifically about the arrangement.

Jorlen
05-14-2010, 12:55 PM
It wasn't me. You can get a group of dead bodies near each other, but there is nothing programmed specifically about the arrangement.

That's freaky. What are the odds? Caal, I hope you bought a lottery ticket that day.

Roswitha
05-15-2010, 02:44 AM
I like this kind of cursed item. :)

Greyhead
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
I once had a Scarabus Boss for a quest. He blew himself up while I was fighting him. I got credit for it too. :D

Framistan
05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Something similar has happened to me. I had a quest to destroy a darkness machine, but the monsters somehow destroyed it while fighting each other. I too got credit for it.

Roswitha
05-21-2010, 02:45 AM
That's a new one.

Create New World
<ding>
"The town is being attaaaaacked!"

Fortunately, it was a gate in the middle of the town, not a monster wandering through the residential section.

Viliki
05-21-2010, 03:47 AM
In my last play I got some assassin in town, he had some magic attack. I wasn't well positioned when this started and it took age to get back in town.

During my walk back to town I was surprised to not see any town people death in log events. Once in town I found the assassin and he was struggling with one town people, but this town people had no injury, I couldn't even see his health bar... I killed the assassin with no problem, he hurts me a bit with magical attacks.

DeathKnight1728
05-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I got attacked by a group of monsters in a level pretty far down the cave. I wasnt worried too much since they were just low level champions. But then a problem came up. A lone scavenger i was trying to kill (for obvious reasons), got put in a wall of monsters. I'm trying to get to him and he is just eating corpses left and right. I got almost done with the monsters and here is the scavenger running around taking up half the screen. Needless to say i died. And that is why again i say that scavengers are psychos.

Viliki
05-21-2010, 10:32 PM
In my last play I got some assassin in town, he had some magic attack. I wasn't well positioned when this started and it took age to get back in town.

During my walk back to town I was surprised to not see any town people death in log events. Once in town I found the assassin and he was struggling with one town people, but this town people had no injury, I couldn't even see his health bar... I killed the assassin with no problem, he hurts me a bit with magical attacks.

I got it a second time and again it happened with a town people that was in fact a merchant coming in town for a limited time. This time he gets hit once when I come closer to the fight but clearly noticed that once more he wasn't hurt as I was coming to town. And in this case too it was a magical attack. Perhaps a bug here.

Caal
05-22-2010, 01:09 AM
So I'm doing one of those "kill 30 monsters to recruit a new vendor" (with high xp) quests. I'm on level 7 (where the quest is), get 29 monsters and come to a "T" intersection. On the left is monster #30. On the right is the level gate. So I'm thinking - get #30, jump on the gate, pick up all that lovely xp.

I head for #30, then get dropped through to level 10, completely unexplored of course. I'm halfway through the large mob that cordially welcomed me to level 10, when the town gets attacked. I finish the mob, then see that townies are dropping like flies. Naturally, the teleport ball has already been used. Run around trying to find a gate, stairs, anything, and then -

"This is not the path to redemption". <sigh>

Stardusts
05-23-2010, 01:56 AM
This is one hell of an altar to kill, luckily its not a moving boss ;).

http://www.villagephotos.com/image.aspx?u=2010-5\1356799\ss0001.jpg

(btw I failed to upload the img directly, it only show a big red X box in the post :confused:, any help?)

TheRani
05-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Today my rogue opened a door that turned out to be the entrance to a lair, and when I heard the spooky sound effect for it, I was like, "Oh noes! Champions!" But then nothing came out of the room to attack her. She peeked inside, and saw several champion totems. They were all totems. Best lair ever!

Viliki
05-23-2010, 01:47 PM
It's very basic and nothing special but I didn't notice in previous version, I got a large smile when in a dungeon I saw after a fight a merchant rush to close healing stone to heal himself.

Very cool, too bad summoned/companions don't seem benefit of this too.

TheRani
05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
It's very basic and nothing special but I didn't notice in previous version, I got a large smile when in a dungeon I saw after a fight a merchant rush to close healing stone to heal himself.

Very cool, too bad summoned/companions don't seem benefit of this too.

I just had two escort quests going on at once yesterday, and after a fight in which both my followers were injured, both of them ran over to a life stone when I passed near it, and were healing themselves simultaneously. So they actually do. You just need to be near the stone. Merchants don't have a "follow you" desire overriding their "heal myself" desire, so they'll head for the stone every time. An escortee will wait until you're within melee range of one.

Viliki
05-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Is this work for summoned, both from skills and from altar of summoning? Myself I believed have quoted they didn't use the heal stone. But it's good to know that people you escort will, that can be handy.

TheRani
05-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Is this work for summoned, both from skills and from altar of summoning? Myself I believed have quoted they didn't use the heal stone. But it's good to know that people you escort will, that can be handy.

I've never noticed summoned monsters using a life stone, but summoned monsters don't wreck your rep when they die.

Viliki
05-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Yes no reputation lost but that would be cool anyway. :)

barsoomian
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
Maybe I missed something that might explain this ...

I saved a town on the seventh level of a fourteen level dungeon, but I was finishing a few optional quests when I got dumped down to level 10. I started wandering around, and the whole level was full of dimensional gates and nothing else. So I went down to level 11 ... same thing. And level 12 ... and level 13 ... and level 14. Nothing as challenging as running around "killing" elite gates ...

Aet
05-28-2010, 12:43 AM
No less than three Demonmaws (Ragnar boss) with requests to kill asps ganged up on this one Asp boss that also wanted something killed (probably a ragnar). And of course, none of them would talk to me until they were done killing the other party off.

In case anyone was wondering, the Asp did not survive. :p

Caal
11-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Looks to me like Her is a him.

Stardusts
11-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Looks to me like Her is a him.

lmao

Manumitted
11-13-2010, 01:36 AM
A few of my favorite unintentionally amusing moments:
Ineffectuality department: "Skeleton Lord [on Level 2] has failed to overthrow Viletail [L6]." Maybe because he never got within four levels of him? "If I just think mean thoughts about Viletail, he's sure to drop dead! Yeah, that's the ticket." I see why SL later died after about two swings of my weapon.

In one dunjon, Tor the Torva hired me to assassinate 9 Dark Elf Rogues, then reappeared in the same dunjon level to rehire me to avenge his betrayal at the hands of... Dark Elf Rogues. Go figure. You have a bunch of people killed, and the survivors betray you afterward. What is the world coming to?

Do As I Say, Not As I Do department: Tuzan the "peacemaker" in Clovis repeatedly tried to overthrow the dunjon boss Nightshade. No hurry to kill Tuzan, then. This is evidently the Megatron version of peace ("Peace through tyranny.").

The same named boss that I had already killed as a mandatory quest (Gold Lover) reappeared one dunjon level higher and hired me to kill [sic] the Orc Totem that had betrayed [sic] him. Nice to see he doesn't hold a grudge, but death and/or the love of money have been hard on his rationality in other ways.

The townswoman who "needed saving" from a completely denuded dunjon level kept crying for help several times after I "saved" her. High-maintenance woman, but it was an easy 650 RP.

Helpful Monsters department: one town had the mobs take out the dunjon boss for me before I could reach him. The next town had other mobs whaling away on the boss's Recon Totem when I arrived. Thanks, guys! No good deed goes unpunished, so I made sure to wipe out all of you anyway. Suckers.

Being caught in a trap can evidently inspire mobs to backbite and kill each other, even members of the same species! "Fury that killed Fury is now a Champion Fury."

Some mobs run right past me, even if I attack them and their buddies as they go. Some never turn around despite absorbing 4-5 backstabs. Sir Robin's kin? Esprit de corps and self-preservation, not so much.

The Ghost "Evader" unique staff really needed to be called Ghost Buster, but I suppose the movie people would object.

Funny Sequence department: I failed a quest to take out a unique mob before he became more dangerous. He reappeared two levels higher in the dunjon as the new boss, with the new quest to kill him offering twice the XP, thrice the money, and still 90% of the RP. This is failure? Oh, his new home was also completely devoid of other mobs, having earlier been depopulated by yours truly. Later on, I had to rescue [sic] a townie from that same level, still depopulated! And she was hidden [sic] in the room closest to the gate. Such a brave little toaster.

I Love My Mommy department: After avenging Darby's mother and claiming the quest with Darby, he was immediately listed as a traitor--what, he had his own mother killed to set up this scheme?--yet he remained in his house, he didn't aggro, and the Warmaster didn't ask me to kill him. In apparent protest of this non-vengeance, another townie immediately went renegade.

Amusing Mob Hara-Kiri department: I sliced at a Chaos Lord as he roared, but it didn't finish him. Before my next swing could connect, he stomped the ground, stunning me but bringing the roof down on both our heads, killing himself. Temper, temper.

FloodSpectre
11-13-2010, 11:23 AM
In one dunjon, Tor the Torva hired me to assassinate 9 Dark Elf Rogues, then reappeared in the same dunjon level to rehire me to avenge his betrayal at the hands of... Dark Elf Rogues. Go figure. You have a bunch of people killed, and the survivors betray you afterward. What is the world coming to?

This one's hilarious :) I rarely get quests from monsters in my games, but those are a few I wish I'd seen myself.

The same named boss that I had already killed as a mandatory quest (Gold Lover) reappeared one dunjon level higher and hired me to kill [sic] the Orc Totem that had betrayed [sic] him. Nice to see he doesn't hold a grudge, but death and/or the love of money have been hard on his rationality in other ways.

I actually had something similar happen once back in the beta. I don't recall the little details perfectly, but a townie wanted me to avenge someone's death at the hands of a Recon Totem ;) I can only imagine the other townie tripping and cracking his skull open on it and everyone blaming the totem! In any case, you might want to report this one as a bug.

Amberjoy
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM
This one's hilarious :) I rarely get quests from monsters in my games, but those are a few I wish I'd seen myself.

:) I've gotten only one quest from a monster so far. I went downstairs to level 1 and there was a giant spider next to the stairs! Of course my immediate reaction is to hit it with my weapon but I had the reflex not to when cursor lit up blue around it as friendly. The quest? Ha! Go kill another spider on 2nd level. I laughed and went on my merry way. It kinda reminded me of the Avernum games with the talking spiders. :)

FloodSpectre
11-13-2010, 05:01 PM
:) I've gotten only one quest from a monster so far. I went downstairs to level 1 and there was a giant spider next to the stairs! Of course my immediate reaction is to hit it with my weapon but I had the reflex not to when cursor lit up blue around it as friendly. The quest? Ha! Go kill another spider on 2nd level. I laughed and went on my merry way. It kinda reminded me of the Avernum games with the talking spiders. :)

Oh god, I forgot all about the happy spiders. I think I blocked them out of my memory...

Amberjoy
11-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh god, I forgot all about the happy spiders. I think I blocked them out of my memory...

Heh! :D "What's your name?" "Spider" :eek: :rolleyes:

Caal
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I was facing a dead end, with a few rows of barrels blocking a narrow entrance. There was a torva and a naga behind the barrels. The torva spots me and starts earnestly heaving fireballs at the barrels. He ultimately succeeds in igniting the barrels, then tries to come after me, but only manages to fry himself in the process. Not to be outdone, the naga follows behind, with the same result. I almost couldn't stop laughing.

Aet
01-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Oh, the irony. :p

Shadow
01-13-2011, 09:21 AM
When I worked on shooters I don't remember getting so many weird issues. :)

Inspired
01-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Oh, the irony. :p

Haha. That is awesome.

Sinister Stairs
01-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Glad I broke up with her...

PixelLord
01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
With the Demon war expansion, I took the time and killed 27 monsters to recruit a new weaponsmith. As I was just checking out his wares after he appeared, he was immediately struck by lightning and killed. :(

Manumitted
01-14-2011, 01:32 AM
1. Out of the frying pan... department: I find two Dark Elves running for their lives down a corridor with a Chaos Lord hot on their heels. As he takes a big swipe at them, I take a bigger swipe with my big sword and drop all three of them.
2. The feared [sic] unique Hellstorm the Dark Elf Wizard was located in the most out-of-the-way corner of his level. As I arrived, he cravenly ran away, either from me or the foot-stomping Chaos Lords, straight into a dead end. I disposed of the demons then smacked him with a Whirlwind. He started hopelessly running the other way, still blubbering in terror, so I mortally wounded him with a vicious Deep Wound strike. He staggered a few more steps and dropped dead. This guy's bravery was a credit to his race, for certain meanings of credit.
3. I violate a grave, and one of the loots is a Death Journal asking me to avenge the guy whose grave I just defiled. Should I start by slitting my own throat? I took the blood money and Reputation with a shameless conscience.
4. I kill unique Vice, an Orc Shaman, and claim the reward at 00:09:00 into a new town. Unique Vice reappears in the dunjon at 00:10:33, all of 93 seconds later. Hey, I thought Orcs couldn't be resurrected! Stay dead when I kill you already.
5. I found a renegade in a dunjon room, standing in the fire of the trapped barrel he had just bashed. I immediately stunlocked him with Thunderbolt and just laughed as he was simultaneously roasted and flash-fried. Too Stupid To Live.

Caal
03-07-2011, 12:42 AM
#1) If only obtaining peace were this easy in real life ...

#2) I'm not worthy.

EternalChampion
03-07-2011, 03:37 PM
LMAO!

I had an evil Steward in one town... please read attachment closely. :eek:

KyneTarse
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Just finished an absolutely epic town. Things exploded early (not sure why - chose normal pacing - though I was eligible for freedom) - think there were 4-5 bosses at the outset. 45 minutes in, all vendors, the apothecary and the warmaster died during an invasion. The town was cursed on top of this.

I almost abandoned, but I stuck with it. I'm playing a Hunter/Trickster hybrid, so stealth helped greatly. Resorted to putting points into cooking skill in order to survive due to lack of vendors. Not once was I offered a new vendor quest, though a few traveling vendors showed up.

By the end, the town was on its 5th warmaster. I think at one point I turned in 15 quests at once when a new one joined.

Orrus
03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Who's idea was it to put teleporters in the prison????

http://i53.tinypic.com/15yhpxv.jpg

Evander
03-26-2011, 09:00 AM
a bug - prison without walls.

I realized it may be a nice quest tho - find a lost party :)
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/6442/lostknights.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/i/lostknights.jpg/)