PDA

View Full Version : Some questions

juff
12-05-2012, 02:59 AM
Does an unbreakable component still absorb damage away from structure? EG. would a ship with all components unbreakable take all damage to its structure once armour/shields are gone?

What does the dampening field actually do? There are no statistics listed on the device itself.

Are recharge stations supposed to take AOE damage from the player? I don't see why they aren't considered allied to you.

What effective ways are there to defend against bounty hunters?

Thanks

Valgor
12-05-2012, 05:55 AM
I believe the damage components take is not actually deducted from the total damage your ship sustains;
i.e. components don't "absorb" damage to structure like some kind of armour would.
A ship with all components "unbreakable" would still take the same damage to structure as a ship equipped
with regular "breakable" components, it just wouldn't suffer from any component breakdowns.

Recharge stations are supposed to be destructible. They're neutral structures, so anyone and anything can use and/or damage them.

The most effective way to defend against bounty hunters is to stay on your toes and destroy them ASAP.

Shadow
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Does an unbreakable component still absorb damage away from structure? EG. would a ship with all components unbreakable take all damage to its structure once armour/shields are gone?

What does the dampening field actually do? There are no statistics listed on the device itself.

The damage will go to the structure in this case.

There are a bunch of components that have dampening field in the title. If it is the one that only says dampening field, it should increase your defense.

random_rolle
12-05-2012, 10:13 AM
If you are refering to the offensive dampening field, you can see the stats when its active on an oponent, just activate it, then pause when you are close to an enemy, should apply a 1 second debuff to enemies that are near you (range being abit to short imo)

Valgor
12-05-2012, 10:21 AM
The damage will go to the structure in this case.

So the ship will sustain additional damage after all (damage + part of the damage that would've hit the individual components if they were breakable) ?

Bluddy
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
So the ship will sustain additional damage after all (damage + part of the damage that would've hit the individual components if they were breakable) ?

Seems like it. It actually makes unbreakable components really bad. I don't ever have components break on me anyway.

Valgor
12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
In that case, I'd rather have it work the way I initially thought it would.

Amberjoy
12-05-2012, 04:14 PM
Since subject says 'Some questions', I'm going to ask this question here..

On another forum, where I announced beta was done and game out, someone asked:

Question to anyone who knows:

How does this game compare to Ambrosia's Escape Velocity series?

I'd be interested in picking up a new game in the vein of the EV series, but when I glanced at the Drox Op. page at Soldak, it looked pretty dissimilar so I decided not to give it a whirl (at least not until I have a lot more free-time).

So, is it a lot like Escape Velocity? Or not so much?...

(P.S. I wish Ambrosia would take up the EV series again, and take it to the next level... :( )

Could some one who's played both Escape Velocity & Drox Operative give a reply I can post on the other forum? Thanks.

Amberjoy
12-07-2012, 04:16 PM
..bump

Isn't there anyone here who can answer the question in #8 post I made? I'd like to help the person who asked and draw them into the Soldak fold. :)

Shadow
12-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Isn't there anyone here who can answer the question in #8 post I made? I'd like to help the person who asked and draw them into the Soldak fold. :)

I would like to help, but I don't remember Escape Velocity off hand (that doesn't mean much). Can anyone else compare Drox Operative and Escape Velocity?

geldonyetich
12-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Could some one who's played both Escape Velocity & Drox Operative give a reply I can post on the other forum? Thanks.

They're quite different, there's only a few key resemblances:

* Combat is action-based
* Top down, 360-degree free-scrolling perspective
* Space is divided into solar systems that you can freely travel between.
* You can trade equipment with credits at friendly planets.

But that's pretty much it. Escape Velocity's entire focus is different. You basically start up a new character, get involved in some prefabricated quest line, and see it through to completion while upgrading your ship (even changing ship chassis) and equipment. Then, start a new character to find other quest lines. Planet ownership does not change hands. There's no diplomacy interface between races so no need for rumor mongering. Planets don't have a true economy so no point in sabotaging them. There's some semblance of dynamic quests, but they're much simpler: take cargo x to random planet y, move a passenger, destroy a ship, ect. No significant quest consequences because there's no 4X game trappings at all. Escape Velocity has a commodity trading system as one way to make money, like a standard Elite clone.

Amberjoy
12-08-2012, 12:59 AM
They're quite different, there's only a few key resemblances:

* Combat is action-based
* Top down, 360-degree free-scrolling perspective
* Space is divided into solar systems that you can freely travel between.
* You can trade equipment with credits at friendly planets.

But that's pretty much it. Escape Velocity's entire focus is different. You basically start up a new character, get involved in some prefabricated quest line, and see it through to completion while upgrading your ship (even changing ship chassis) and equipment. Then, start a new character to find other quest lines. Planet ownership does not change hands. There's no diplomacy interface between races so no need for rumor mongering. Planets don't have a true economy so no point in sabotaging them. There's some semblance of dynamic quests, but they're much simpler: take cargo x to random planet y, move a passenger, destroy a ship, ect. No significant quest consequences because there's no 4X game trappings at all. Escape Velocity has a commodity trading system as one way to make money, like a standard Elite clone.

Thank you ever so much. I'll tell Santa to leave something extra special in your stocking. :D