PDA

View Full Version : Titan Quest

Viliki
03-24-2010, 08:59 PM
That's not an indie, its approach is somehow different and it is quite old now but I wanted focus one excellent idea he used and that's been reused in Dragon Age Origins:

The idea of sustained spells. This is for buffer spells, instead of having to constantly cast them again and again, you only activate one and then it stays activated. The price is a mana max drop down, each sustained spell having its cost.

For buffers with a very short duration to use right into action, the standard system is fine. But for those buffer spells with a longer time effect, the sustained approach is a much better idea.

dnuggs40
03-25-2010, 09:44 AM
There's a lot of great ideas in TQ that can be used in games in this genre...and I agree that's one of them.

FloodSpectre
03-28-2010, 10:32 PM
There were also sustained spells that cost a few mana every second, but remained active until you ran out. This balanced very well with mana regeneration; if you had enough regen you could run several buffs of this sort together without any problems, but for fighter-types it wasn't as much of an option.

Viliki
04-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Right I tried replay the game recently and noticed that point. I feel a bit heavy to penalize mana regen, instead sustained spell with a percentage cost to limit their number seems to me better.

Jorlen
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Definitely one of my top 3 action-RPGs of this genre for PC. I spent way too much time playing this game. I agree with the sustained buffs and there are a ton of other ideas that I found were truly innovative, like being able to mix classes (much like we can do in Din's Curse).

I also didn't mind that the game wasn't randomly generated for once, because Iron Lore had spent so much time crafting a really unique gameworld.

I could not believe when THQ shut Iron Lore down. Who would have thought such a new and promising developer making such a good game would have to suffer that fate.

The good news is they're reformed now as Crate Entertainment and are working on a new game called Grim Dawn. It might be a long wait though because they only have a few screenshots and no videos, so I'm guessing development is still in the early stages.