PDA

View Full Version : Idea: torches have more influence on light

udm
03-25-2010, 05:10 AM
First off, sorry for the huge wave of threads started by me. Its just that these ideas keep coming in bursts, so once again apologies :)

Playing a stealth/fighter character, a nifty idea I have in mind would be to have torches affect the light radius more so than currently. In other words, fog of war in the area increases when you turn off the nearby torches. I like the idea of an interactive environment, and it's quite a pity that torches are something you can play around with, but they do not have a great effect on your playstyle or surroundings, in the same way that whacking a pillar causes a cave-in, or throwing flame oil at a gas leak causes an explosion and cave-in.

Krasny
03-25-2010, 06:26 AM
It would be nice if the torches would light up automatically when you got near to them.

A fairly easy to implement script would do the trick.

Archon
03-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I agree that torches / lanterns should have a more dynamic light radius and I think the areas without any dungeon light should be darker in general (except if the world has a bright modifier). I like the idea of messing with the player / monsters vision and maybe even stats, for example some monsters may be more powerful in the dark while others might be weaker / more vulnerable in the dark and vise versa.

dnuggs40
03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Definitely agree...in fact when I lit my first torch I was really surprised how little it actually effected anything.

FloodSpectre
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
It's pretty cool how the Imps will run to put them out though, even when you're standing right next to them. It seems they prioritize this over fighting you.

torikamal
03-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I really like these dynamic light ideas. They could even come into play as having a slightly detrimental effect to some undead, so you'd actually want to run around turning all the torches on.