PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Loot Selling Freighter (or something)

geldonyetich
12-06-2012, 02:20 AM
If Drox Operative has a dragging point, it's that my cargo holds soon get full of junk, and at that point I need to:

Find a nearby friendly planet.
Sort out all my loot into stuff I want to keep and stuff I want to sell.
Sell everything I don't want. This is often hard to do because of credit limitations with whoever I sent my freighter to.

Torchlight introduced the idea of a pet that you can throw all your junk on and send back to town to sell all your stuff for you. That's a good idea. Except this is Drox Operative, and the civilized races tend to frown on people who eject animals hauling several tons of goods and telling them to dogpaddle futilely against the vacuum of space and seek a planet. So, instead, I'd like to hire a freighter to do this for me.

Or something. I'm not picky. I would just like to be able to stay in the thick of the action longer without having to unload my cargo bays against planets who are slow to generate the credits I need to sell my stuff.

Roswitha
12-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Until/unless Shadow decides to provide a freighter...

Sell loot until the planet runs out of money, then buy health/shields/energy. One health is worth the price of several items, so you can then sell more loot. It won't help with the action, but at least you can unload all your cargo.

Sedlex
12-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Or, make a "reprocessing bay" - a cargo bay type item with variable capacity (like a normal cargo bay), that destroys one random item it contains every so many seconds, and awards a random percentage of the item's sale value on doing so.

Make it even more fun by awarding a portion of the item's sale value equal to the stat required to equip it divided by 200. So for instance someone with high structure would get more money from "reprocessing" armor plates and the like.

Finally, add a new victory condition called "Janitorial Victory", wherein you win if you successfully reprocess for a stupid amount of credits of random items.

For extra brownie points, I suggest the achievement "Putzfrau", for anyone who reprocesses 100'000 items.

Sorry, it's been a long day at work :( I seem to be overheating.

Roswitha
12-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Finally, add a new victory condition called "Janitorial Victory", wherein you win if you successfully reprocess for a stupid amount of credits of random items.

No, just tack it onto Legend. We already get Legend points for cleaning up Storage Bays and Space Junk. Maybe then a Legend Victory will be possible for a sector size other than Tiny. (And can we please make the Legend Victory conditions 50, 100, 150, 200, instead of 50, 125, 250, 500.)

geldonyetich
12-07-2012, 04:58 AM
Sell loot until the planet runs out of money, then buy health/shields/energy. One health is worth the price of several items, so you can then sell more loot. It won't help with the action, but at least you can unload all your cargo.

I've already been doing this, but you're right, it doesn't help with the action. It greatly hurts the bottom line of my credit making efficiency too, although I find on faster paced games those buffs can actually be worth getting.

a "reprocessing bay"
Sure. As I said, I'm not picky, I just want to spend more time in the action and less time unloading my cluttered cargo bay.

One really easy fix might just be allowing me to keep selling regardless of if the planet has the credits to buy, plunging it into the negative credit values. The planet's economy will eventually recover, and I can complete my business quickly. Still, it'd be even better if I didn't have to leave the front lines.

making selling loot a victory condition
I'd say adding greater incentives for me to do what's boring me is a step in the wrong direction.

Roswitha
12-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Another thing you might try, just to reduce the amount of junk you pick up, is to go into the Game Options and click Hide Crappy Items. The game will only show the labels for items that it considers worth selling.

geldonyetich
12-08-2012, 01:59 AM
Another thing you might try, just to reduce the amount of junk you pick up, is to go into the Game Options and click Hide Crappy Items. The game will only show the labels for items that it considers worth selling.

A decent solution if you're willing to sacrifice credits, but not my preference.

Some folks might ignore everything under yellow con just to reduce the burden of having to sell it, but I'm a bit too hardcore for that. I already ignore white-con because I don't think it's a good use of my cargo space for how many credits I get for it, but ignoring (or not being able to see) anything else would leave me feeling like I'm missing out on something important.

I need the credit flow - rumor mongering isn't free, y'know.

Valgor
12-08-2012, 07:13 AM
My suggestion : Guarantee one or two Wandering Vendors per system (have them respawn periodically in case they get destroyed), give them unlimited credits for buying up stuff,
but at the same time, have them pay about 25% less for the player's unwanted junk (because they know you want to get rid of it) . Maybe add something like a "trading beacon" that,
when activated, attracts Wandering Vendors to the player's position.

Shaemis
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
This isn't a bad idea at all, although I like Sedlex's idea quite a bit:

Or, make a "reprocessing bay" - a cargo bay type item with variable capacity (like a normal cargo bay), that destroys one random item it contains every so many seconds, and awards a random percentage of the item's sale value on doing so.

Make it even more fun by awarding a portion of the item's sale value equal to the stat required to equip it divided by 200. So for instance someone with high structure would get more money from "reprocessing" armor plates and the like.

Implementing something like this could be a lot of fun, but I feel would lead to people craving some sort of crafting (having them break down into raw materials) -- but the idea of breaking things down for slightly less credits is a sound idea, especially early on if the other races are too poor to purchase your goods, and there's no wandering vendors nearby (although they tend to be poor, too). Taking a penalty to the amount of credits you get for the item (a straight % reduction) would make you think twice before utilizing it as your sole option, plus the fact that it wouldn't lead to any increase in your relations via trading with another race. Still, it'd certainly be a handy option to have available.

Edit: This could also be an actual component for your ship that could roll specific benefits, like offering a larger % of the credits of the item, the speed at which it can reprocess, a chance to discover a new technology based on the item you're reprocessing, etc.