PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: "Can you get me..."

Pagnol
12-08-2012, 12:19 PM
In my first game, I found a nuclear reactor that produced 81 energy at the start, but never found anything better in that respect before the end. Plenty of tempting items that required far too much power, but...

Now I realize this is a strategic challenge, and I can live with it. Still, I was just wondering if it's possible that once you form an alliance--or maybe, at a still higher level of alliance--you might be able to request from a race a specific level of a specific item? Or possibly the retrofitting of an item you have, to better quality? In the first case they could agree to search for this, or in the second simply do it, and make it available at the location where you put in the request.

Of course, this has problems. And it would need to be tweaked to avoid turning the player into a god. Perhaps just one request allowed, per race. And just an incremental increase beyond what the player currently possesses, at a steep cost.

Just a thought, in any case.

geldonyetich
12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
I was just wondering if [...] you might be able to request from a race [...] a specific item?

Sure, why not? Something like that.

Right now, the Diplomacy interface is somewhat thinking in terms of "Space 4X Game," but Drox Operative is a game where you're not exactly an empire, and Soldak could afford to open up some interactions that make more sense for an individual operative to want to request from a race.

Shaemis
12-08-2012, 06:23 PM
This is actually a pretty elegant solution to just flying from planet to planet over and over again looking for upgrades. It'd be nice to be able to ask a (neutral/friendly/non-warring) race if they had something in stock better than the item in question. The system is already in place for the game to know (generally, although sometimes I like my item more) if the item is better than yours. Asking the race to check their planets general inventory to see if they have something for sale they'd consider an upgrade over your item, and where it's located/price, shouldn't be overly difficult, and it would save a LOT of tedium involved in flying all over the place looking for a little more thrust.

Pagnol
12-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Well, I'm not suggesting "please find me" as a replacement for the current system. I like the idea of a mixed shop that differs from planet to planet in any given empire. I think it works, then it keeps you coming back in the hopes of finding something special. What I'm suggesting is a sort of last gasp solution when you've been searching throughout an entire game for something that will let you continue moving on, after you've waited around for several hours moving from planet to planet, in order to get a nuclear plant (or a similar part) to is preventing any upgrade. Just a one-shot deal: you can ask once, and an allied empire, right at the top of its belief in you, will do its level best to get what you need...for a very hefty price.

geldonyetich
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
The way I see it, the races own the means of production, but they mostly have crap you're not going to want to equip. Some means of better communicating to the producers what you need seems prudent.

FileNotFound
12-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I like the idea - and I tend to have more credits than I know what to do with in game. So how about this take on the concept:

Once you're allied you can request a race develop a prototype item type for you. The cost scales with level, but something x10 the cost of it in store sounds reasonable - maybe cost more the more often it's used? The item is equal to your level and at least a rare.

Maybe tie in a quest if possible?
As in, sure, we'll make a reactor for you, but you're going to have to find us 5 thorium fragments from these mobs here and kill this boss for an antimatter core.

Maybe beyond the scope of a patch but would be a neat expansion feature.

It's further possible to give item quality bonuses to races, as in the Fringe could give higher quality power plants and Utopian higher quality computers than other races etc.

This way it's still a path to get a component you desperately need, but it may take several tries to get you an uber item.