PDA

View Full Version : Intro movie

Valgor
12-13-2012, 03:45 PM
What has happened to the intro movie? Will it ever make a comeback? I wonder if the file's even still included in the final release version.

beason4251
12-13-2012, 04:21 PM
I definitely prefer not having the intro movie. Being able to start up the game in 5 seconds is very nice. (Going from desktop to in game in 6 seconds!) Also, the intro move would nearly double the size of the game file, which rests at ~160MB right now. While there might exist people who would like to watch a 30 seconds -1 minute intro movie every time they start the game, the large majority of people would either click through or just disable it via in-game option. So while contributing a massive amount of data to the game file, it would provide very little entertainment value to the game.

Shadow
12-13-2012, 04:56 PM
The intro movie was removed many patches ago. We felt that it just wasn't a good enough first impression. We are not planning on doing a new one at the moment.

It's not in the final game anywhere, because it added almost 40MB to the installer size, an increased of about 25%.

Valgor
12-14-2012, 05:46 AM
It's not in the final game anywhere, because it added almost 40MB to the installer size, an increased of about 25%.

Well, that's perfectly understandable. I'll just keep the file as a collector's curiosity, but somehow I miss torikamal's corny voice-over.

pieciax
12-14-2012, 06:05 AM
Any chance to see it on i.e. YouTube?

Shadow
12-14-2012, 11:20 AM

I've thought about it, but again I'm a little worried about first impressions.

Valgor
12-14-2012, 06:15 PM

You didn't miss much; it's basically a narrated version of the game's story blurb from the manual and overview page.
There was a beautiful planetary sunset in there, though. I wish that would've become a promo wallpaper.