PDA

View Full Version : Using equipment without crew stats

pieciax
12-14-2012, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure if it's by design or a bug, but when i install any component on my ship that requires certain crew stats increased by a crew member(i.e. +10 structure) or medium stat increase devices, i can remove crew member/device from my ship, and component is still working, even though i don't have enough stats to use it. The only exception is weapon, that doesn't fire if i miss my tactics stats.

I think that should be changed, to the model, that if i miss a required stat component is either not working or is removed to inventory immediately.

Otherwise it leads to the situation i have right now with my lvl 60 design - most of stats invested into command, and whenevr i want to equip something new i need to shuffle tens of devices and crew members to equip it. I thinks it unbalanced to ships that are based on stats other than command.

Valgor
12-14-2012, 05:41 AM
This is a holdover from Depths of Peril and Din's Curse. The system works the way it does to prevent characters from being unable to use most of their equipment
when struck by a curse or any other debuff that lowers their stats temporarily. In Drox Operative, the resulting exploit isn't quite as useful as it was due to the absence of stat-enhancing potions.

random_rolle
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
You can always choose not to use this exploit. I personally never use it even though i could. For me it feels like cheating.

Valgor
12-14-2012, 06:19 PM
It only comes into play when a crewmember dies/goes on strike or a life support component breaks, anyway.

ScrObot
12-15-2012, 06:47 AM
The way I look at it, crew are like mechanics. You need a mechanic to install that fancy new engine, but you don't need them sitting there staring at it while it runs. Weapons and activated components are separate, and they need someone with the proper experience manning them individually. *shrug*

FileNotFound
12-15-2012, 01:54 PM
As the game doesn't have a pvp component, I couldn't really care less.

If you want to equip items you don't have stats for, you might as well fireup cheat engine and give yourself 1000 free stat points.

svartberg
03-16-2014, 11:29 PM
As the game doesn't have a pvp component, I couldn't really care less.

If you want to equip items you don't have stats for, you might as well fireup cheat engine and give yourself 1000 free stat points.

Well said !

I find this kind of exploit lame, pretty similar to those stat boosting equipment from skyrim/fallout3 which you can only equip to use a particular skill.
Takes away from skill distribution strategy, i.e. building a character that's really good at something but bad at another gives it so much personality.

Part of me thinks Soldak hasn't fixed it, to not piss off the hardcore players.
Anyway it is what is it, I play and enjoy the game without trying to maximize everything, good fun.

Tuidjy
03-17-2014, 03:12 PM
It has been designed into the game, it did not happen by accident. I've gotten hardcore ships to sector level 150+ both with it and without it, and it does not make as much difference to gameplay as you would expect (it makes a ton of difference in how powerful the ship ends up, of course)

If you do not use it, it's up to you, but there is no call to insult those who do. There are much bigger challenges in Drox Operative, and it's up to each player to find which ones he prefers.

If you really want a real challenge, try a hardcore, command zero, prerequisite maintaining ship. As far as I know, no one has gotten one of these to level 100 yet.

As for a challenge that has been met already, try to get a hardcore command zero ship to level 100 even while floating stats. See how easy it is.

svartberg
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
You're right mate, didn't mean to be negative, we are all here to have fun from an awesome game ey :)

Afaik it is only "by design", so when you get debuffed all of your components don't stop working, that's an entirely different thing than saying ability to juggle was made on purpose.

See the problem with Command Zero, is you can't use leveled crew at all.
Again that's different, as I use most of my slots for crew actually, it's an awesome feature.
In the grand scheme of things this essentially allows me to trade some light slots for a lot more medium & heavy ones (from a bigger ship)

To be specific, using 8 slots of good generalist crew can net you all those 455 command points back, that still leaves you with 3 light slots.
If you count the extra ~100 points from ship upgrades you can get away with even less, it balances itself out whichever way you play the game.

Farther more that doesn't mean one has to dump it all to command to use crew, and then hope for the best from crew leveling up.
Instead can just play normal and put points wherever you want, then when the crew start hitting nice levels you can start redistribute the extra points (via cortex retraining)

Anyway just wanted to share how I play the game, if you have fun playing it in a certain way go for it man

Tuidjy
03-17-2014, 10:19 PM
To be specific, using 8 slots of good generalist crew can net you all those 455 command points back, that still leaves you with 3 light slots.

Actually, it takes even fewer that 8 slots. I've had generalists with 80+ skill points, and I think that, theoretically, they can go over 100 each with just four skills. Just checked, my best crew member is a Dryad with 88 points in four skills. I had a Marine with four additional skills, but I cannot find him. The ship may have died, or it's on my other computer.

I have never seen a crew member with all five skills, but they may exist, too.

This is where I see the problem: not the ability to juggle crew, but the total and utter superiority of the biggest hulls, no matter whether you're juggling or not.