PDA

View Full Version : Need some pointers on race relations

mammothbaby
12-16-2012, 03:52 PM
So, I just started my first DO game after its 1.0 release, and I've been enjoying it so far. However, I'm unsure how to proceed in my current game to control the sector. Some advice would be great.

Here's my current situation: For the past 8 or 9 levels (since the beginning of the game), I've essentially been learning the game and properly outfitting my ship (kind of). In that time, I allied myself with the Brunt, who happened to then start a war with the Cortex. The only other two races that I have encountered were eliminated while I was putzing around. The problem is, as far as each race's power ratings go, Cortex is at 100%, while the Brunt are at ~%50. This means that even if I try to clear out the Cortex from a contested system, within minutes of me leaving, Cortex will have re-colonized a few planets. I don't know what I can do to boost the Brunt's economic and military capabilities, while damaging Cortex's. I've explored maybe 5 or so systems in the sector.

At this point, my relations with the Cortex are awful because I've been supporting Brunt in their war, but I think the war is unwinnable for the Brunt right now. The racial-influencing options I have available (sabotage, propaganda, etc) don't seem at all effective, because they only target single planets, and for all I know, the Cortex has 30 or 40.

What do I do? Am I missing something? Are there better ways to help the Brunt and hinder Cortex?

FileNotFound
12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I've been in your shoes before. Your best bet is to focus on other means of winning than peace or elimination of Cortex. Work on either your fear, legend or economic score. Fear might be pretty good for you as you may already be pretty high up due to the war.

In the early game, it's very tough to steer the AI. Even at later levels, I've not been able to help an AI grow, money or quests didn't seem to help then expand. They just sat ok their 3 planets vs 20 and growing.

In future games, use rumors as soon as you encounter a powerful AI to make them become friends with whatever AI you are allied with. One a war breaks out, it's too late to try to make the AIs be friends again.

PixelLord
12-17-2012, 12:52 PM
In addition to the above options, you could try breaking your alliance with the Brunt, and get a peace treaty with the Cortex if possible. Then go protect Cortex planets from monsters to quickly build your relations back up with them. Defending planets from monster ships, and destroying Cortex's enemies (like the Brunt in this case) are probably the quickest way to build relations with the Cortex quickly (cause in this case, it looks like the Cortex can't be beat). But if you have a soft spot in your heart for the Brunt, well, then you might lose that sector.

Sometimes you have to let the game play out for a while to see which race will ultimately be the most powerful. I complete, but not solve many quests early in the game. Then I choose eventually (later in the game) to solve the ones for the race that I think will be the winner. I'm not always right though. :(