PDA

View Full Version : I'm free. (Spoilers?)

Inspired
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
So, I gained my freedom at level 34 after beating a level 46 boss named "Little Death" in which he proceeded to drop tons of rares and I recieved a large reward chest which actually held an artifact. So, what happens now? I'm assuming I can continue on doing quest and saving towns, but anything special?

udm
03-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Nothing special that I know of that should have happened to me, sadly.

Inspired
04-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Well, I did end up getting another quest in which I get released again and another reward chest, so I'm all for that. I actually have gotten the freedom quest twice in one town.

Shadow
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Other than boss rewards and the large reward chest, it does unlock the next difficulty (although in your case you already had). Anything else you guys would suggest to change?

udm
04-02-2010, 11:45 AM
I haven't had the next level unlock for me. I was playing a Level 68 world and my character was level 62, but Legendary didn't unlock for me, even after completing the "freedom" quest.

Hmm for suggestions, I don't really have anything in mind. But perhaps we can get a Legendary/Elite/Set/Artifact item from it? I really like that "tzchronk" sound when you find one of those items :)

IJBall
04-02-2010, 12:35 PM
So, I gained my freedom at level 34 after beating a level 46 boss named "Little Death" in which he proceeded to drop tons of rares and I recieved a large reward chest which actually held an artifact. So, what happens now? I'm assuming I can continue on doing quest and saving towns, but anything special?
So, does that mean Din doesn't hang around town anymore?

I think it'd be weird to have a town where you couldn't chat with Din! ;)

Inspired
04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Din stays around even after you get your freedom. He may even still give quest.

Udm has a good idea with the artifacts. I'd rather get a "reputation" award than a box of random equipment. At least that way I'm guaranteed something useful.

Shadow, can I ask you what the drop percentage is on bags for your inventory? I've been playing 17 hours and have only come across 7 bags period. That's from looking at vendors and drops on the ground.

Kruztee
04-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Shadow, can I ask you what the drop percentage is on bags for your inventory? I've been playing 17 hours and have only come across 7 bags period. That's from looking at vendors and drops on the ground.

I can't answer your question, but I will venture that you hvae been hideously unlucky. I normally find 10x the amount of bags/pouches/satchels/knapsacks than I will ever need. Funny:D

Inspired
04-02-2010, 11:26 PM
It's driving me insane! I have all these artifacts and other gear that I want to put in the shared chest for these other characters I plan on making and I can't do it so I'm hauling them around in my own inventory waiting for a drop.

udm
04-03-2010, 01:14 AM
I guess I got really lucky. As far as I can remember, I got a number of bags from barrels and random chests.

If we ever play multiplayer, remind me, I'll drop you a couple of Bags and Purses :)

Inspired
04-03-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks, I'll have to try multiplayer when I get home because I have horrible signal right now or at least I'll have to wait till we reach the dock in Chicago. I'm not sure if I could even do it at home because I have Hughes Net crappy satallite internet.

interesting
04-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Other than boss rewards and the large reward chest, it does unlock the next difficulty (although in your case you already had). Anything else you guys would suggest to change?

Example of the idea:

http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/4535/exampleys.jpg (http://img229.imageshack.us/i/exampleys.jpg/)

According to this post here: http://www.soldak.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12038&postcount=7

A new game would generate a new town, and place it somewhere in a "map".
After the players finishes that game: either save the town, or lose it, or whatever result. The player would then start a new game, the player decides difficulty level, level of enemies as normal, but then a little animation show the character moving from the town he just played, to the next one, generated randomly within a certain distance of the last one.

Then the player proceeds to play on that second town.

As the player keeps playing, he will travel the world you created, from town to town. Eventually, players would be able to go back to a previous town (if there is a quest for that) and be able to see what changed or didnt changed.

Eventually, players would be able to see the bigger picture, it would intrigue the player, each town would be like a little piece of this bigger puzzle.

The events witnessed in each game, wouldnt be seen as just random, but be part of the grand scheme of things.

Use all the Lore from the books (in Depths of Peril, for example), each new town might add a little spice, a little information, a piece of it. Something the player can take along side him, use it somehow, it can be part of a prophecy, it can a hint on the "enemy", it can be a piece of an artifact. The player is wandering the world, discovering it, unravelling its misteries, each town/game might provide a new "clue".

In the end, there is an epic adventure and story created and played by each character. When the player starts, he has no idea what he is going into. "Did the Dark Elf Necromancer the player killed to save the Town play any part on the grand scheme of things?" Tease the player with connectors from the most important events on each game as just a hint of what was behind everything, of what is to come.

Make each town add something, become meaningfull. BESIDES the treasure chests.

Place the player into a PERSISTANT WORLD. Make the player look the map and aknowledge the places he has been before and what happened there. Eventually, allow the player to go back to old towns to finish business, save that town again, re-investigate something.

Read the mentioned post above for more details.

If you like the idea... there are more from where those came from.

udm
04-03-2010, 10:08 AM
One of the things I'd definitely like to see, too, is linking towns together. In other words, more than just one town and a dungeon. I suppose it is too difficult (and costly) to implement this as a patch, but I'd definitely like to see this in an upcoming expansion.

It'll really put all other HNS games to shame, if it has a bigger world. What I'm thinking specifically is, everytime you create a world, it randomly generates several towns, which you can travel to and fro via the wilderness, like how DoP had various outdoor areas connected. As another suggestion to the wilderness part, one thing with DoP's outdoor areas is that they are all square maps. Perhaps for Din's Curse case, wilderness maps linking various towns together can take different shapes and sizes, with cool flora and vegetation to make the game world feel more lived in.

Think of the possibilities with the emergent quest system. Rescue a maiden in distress, but it pisses off the monster who kidnaps her, who decides to raid a town out of vengeance. Or, scout one of the wilderness areas for items, but end up being ambushed and kidnapped into one of the dungeons (in which you'll have to escape). Possibilities of quest consequences are endless. I think this will lift Din's Curse out of being just "a simple roguelike" in terms of its scale.

interesting
04-03-2010, 10:09 AM
udm, read my post above :D

Linking towns together could be made by the way I described above, without the actual in-game graphical static connection and travel (like Depths of Peril), not that it wouldnt be better than what we currently have, but it would fail to give the sense of scope.

In this world where the Hero lives, all towns have a dungeon. Its like there is an UNDERWORLD, connected below the surface.

Feeding on the towns? With the goal to destroy all the towns from below? This fact shouldnt go unnoticed by the Hero with each town he arrives, he witness the same problem. He arrives and everyone ask him for help, and he says without surprise: "Let me guess, there is something evil on the dungeon?"

There's something fishy going on out there! The Din's Curse, perhaps?

This remembers me of the Dungeon Master cartoon, each day a new adventure (analog to a new game/town for us), but there was continuity, there was a theme behind it, in the cartoon case, the characters were imprisoned in that fantasy world and their "main quest" was to go back to the real world (this is what Din's Curse lacks right now, a bunch of random generated main-themes, "epic" quests that are developed by the player through multiple games/towns), and Din, himself, is a very shady figure that without much makeup would ressemble the Dungeon Master of that cartoon. Off course, it doesnt need to be like that, a world of possibilities abound for the "over plots".

Shadow
04-03-2010, 10:38 AM

They have the same drop rate as any normal item except the first two types have double the chance. One tip is do what Delilah does. Every trip to town she checks the vendors for bags (and other stuff). She always has more bags than me.

Shadow
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Just wanted to say that the idea of having something more that connects all of the towns is a great idea. I'm not sure how to actually do it though (mostly tech issues), but I'm thinking about it.

udm
04-03-2010, 11:34 AM
udm, read my post above :D

Linking towns together could be made by the way I described above, without the actual in-game graphical static connection and travel (like Depths of Peril)

I read your post. My idea was that it'd be something like DoP, but the linking wilderness maps are more varied and interesting to explore rather than just big square blocks.

In other words, when you create a new world, a few towns or cities - say, 5 - are generated, and are linked to one another with outdoor maps. These outdoor maps are different from DoP's, for example they come in all shapes and sizes, rather than just huge inter-connected squares. Not all towns have dungeons too. Some dungeons are located in the wilderness, some in towns themselves. Quests can take place either in wilderness, or simply be a case of having to travel from town A to town B to deliver a message. Teleport gates can be placed sporadically in-between routes i.e. in the wilderness areas, like in DoP, to minimize traveling time - but time is still of the essence since, if the town gets invaded, every second matters.