PDA

View Full Version : Din VS. DOP

OneoftheLost
04-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Ok, before we get started on the whats, the whys, and the hows, I'd thought I'd throw the basic question down.

First, based on your play experience, and the amount of time you have put into the game itself, which Soldak game do you prefer? Din's Curse, or Depths of Peril? I'm trying to decide which game I want to buy. I have played BOTH demo's and have a good grasp on the general features, but would love to hear some ideas on some specific aspects of each game. I'll even highlight the features that drew me into each. As well as some background to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

Currently I've moved from a PC to a console, as I was extremely tired of dealing with the PC as a platform for games. Too many little things, too much bug hunting, and entirely too much workarounds and things to get games running. Too much money into new hardware to play the new games. I then moved to Mac for everyday computer use. What few games I do have on the mac are games that have 'stuck' on every computer I have owned. Games with extreme playability in bite-sized chunks. Take for instance, my love of the Space-Trader Genre. While I have played games like X3 TC, and Freelancer, Escape Velocity Nova stuck on my system, as a playable 'get a trade run/mission done during lunch' type game. I like games that are easily accessible, and fun right off the bat. I get significantly more enjoyment playing Uno, then Dragon Age Origins on the hardest difficulty. (No, I don't want to talk about it.) As an example, while Dragon Age is a fantastic game IMHO I certainly won't have it installed on my computer a year from now. The same with Call of Duty 4, etc. etc. So, why am I telling you this? Simply to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. Also, you might have guessed how I found about about Soldak. Mac. Soldak is one of the few companies (1 man ops?) putting out games for Windows and the Mac OS. (Which freaking ROCKs btw. +1 Props.)

Ok, on to some thoughts regarding the demos.

Depths of Peril
I'll be honest, the first time I played this game a year ago, I didn't stick with it. For some reason I just didn't find it easily accessible at the time. Later, before work skyrocketed later that year, I tried Torchlight. I was hooked, everything I loved in Diablo, minus the excess 'fluff' shoved into pretty, bite-sized portions. Recently, I gave DOP another run through after googling TL mac.

+ Covenant

I must say, the covenant system deeply appeals to my inner Civ player (another game that will be on every computer I own.) The diplomacy, competition, and the feeling that I'm in a breathable world.

+ Flexible Missions
I found several instances during the demo where I refused a mission, and it dissapeared, followed by another clan getting a big boost, leading me to assume that somebody else took the mission (is this true?) Or we would all fail to impress a recruit and he left.

+ The Player's Hut/Base
The idea of a player base rules, especially with various upgradeable parts, and things you have to protect.

+ Companions
Enough said really, my inner Neverwinter Nights fan loves having a henchman, and a clan for the raids. Very cool.

- Areas
The areas outside the main town seemed... I dunno.. are they randomly generated? I found it to be a mismash of uninteresting props and literally several monters dumped in an area to fight. Not a huge negative, but it seemed a bit unpolished.

- Class System
Didn't like being reduced to 4 classes, which is a big reason why I didn't stick with Diablo. Nothing really called out to me, and the playstyles, while fun, didn't make me feel like the charector was mine.

Overall I liked DOP, but the demo stops at level 7, and I feel I missed the fun stuff. (Never fought another clan. Never saw a town invasion, etc. etc.)

Din's Curse.
The newer of the two games, if I cared about graphics in the slightest, I would point out this game seemed to be a bit more polished, and more 'purtyfied' However, I don't. So, I'll instead point out what I liked about Din's Demo.

Classes.
This is too much. All the combinations.... I LOVE the class system, and the only thing better, would be an Elder Scrolls style skill system of some sort. (Which would be kind of boring for this type of game.) The huge amount of combinations available is staggering, and I find myself experimenting with different hybrid builds in my search for my fav class. (Might try Pali/Necro next.) Very pleased with this part of the demo.

I won't mention more, because the games are VERY similair. For instance, loot seems to be pretty much the same over both games. (Randomized.) The touted 'Emergent/Dynamic' side of Din's I didn't see when I hit level 5. (Then again, I wasn't seeing consequences for my actions.) Both contain similair game mechanics. For instance, A 'level' in a Din's dungeon was about the same size as a 'region' of Depths. (Didn't see any dungeons during the demo, so I can't comment on DOP's dungeons.) So this struck me as similair. (I do prefer the outdoor areas however.)

Also of note, I couldn't care less about multiplayer. I have yet to meet a complete stranger in an online game who honestly made for an enjoyable experience. Everyone enjoys things at their own pace, and we all tend to do things differently. What minimal teamwork I have seen being the exception to the rule. (This regarding Co-op play. I was under the impression that Din's didn't support PVP.)

So, that is what IVE noticed about the games.

What do you guys think? You own the full versions, and I would love to hear which you preferred.

If you could have ONE Soldak game on your computer what would it be?

(P.s. I doubt I would buy both. I find excessive games on my comp tend to get deleted, and since they are both similair, I feel I would save money, and be happier with one.)

(P.s.s. Also, I havn't really looked at Kivi's Underworld, as it struck me as a more linear game, and not as replayable.)

Inspired
04-02-2010, 03:04 AM
I prefer Dins Curse to DoP for one simple reason. The quest rewards scale with your level. I hated that about DoP. I would definitely say go with DC. I do miss the covenants, but mostly for the fact that you could exploit them to buy better gear. I've only found one helpful glitch so far with DC, but for the most part DC fixed everything that DoP lacked. I do miss having a partner in DC though.

Shadow
04-02-2010, 11:22 AM
+ Flexible Missions
I found several instances during the demo where I refused a mission, and it dissapeared, followed by another clan getting a big boost, leading me to assume that somebody else took the mission (is this true?) Or we would all fail to impress a recruit and he left.

The other covenants can solve some of the quests.

- Areas
The areas outside the main town seemed... I dunno.. are they randomly generated? I found it to be a mismash of uninteresting props and literally several monters dumped in an area to fight. Not a huge negative, but it seemed a bit unpolished.

They are random.

I won't mention more, because the games are VERY similair. For instance, loot seems to be pretty much the same over both games. (Randomized.) The touted 'Emergent/Dynamic' side of Din's I didn't see when I hit level 5. (Then again, I wasn't seeing consequences for my actions.)

DoP has some of the dynamic world stuff also but Din's is much more fleshed out.

(Didn't see any dungeons during the demo, so I can't comment on DOP's dungeons.)

For the dungeons the big difference is that Din's dungeons have much more interactivity.

(P.s.s. Also, I havn't really looked at Kivi's Underworld, as it struck me as a more linear game, and not as replayable.)

Kivi does have very little randomness. Most of Kivi's replayability is getting higher trophies, unlocking all of the achievements, finding all of the secrets, and replaying with the over 20 mini-classes.

Between DoP and DC it really boils down to the covenants. If you want the raids, companions, competition, and diplomacy that the covenant gameplay offers, you want to play DoP. Otherwise, DC is the better game since it improves on most of the rest of the gameplay and adds a lot of new things.

OneoftheLost
04-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I'll probably end up with Din's. I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on both titles. Then I'll post some thoughts on the full version. Thanks for answering my some of my specific questions Shadow. :)