PDA

View Full Version : Frequency of items?

OneoftheLost
04-02-2010, 09:35 PM
So I made a Defender/Necro.

Maybe the biggest mistake I could have made. Just hit level 9, on my 3rd town, with enemies starting at 6. My last two towns where on the 'slow' setting, and the normal game is INSANE in comparison.

The reason I ask about frequency, is because I can't use two handers. Unfortunatly, nothing in the last two towns has EVER been single handed. (Not dirks or maces.) I got lucky and in the first town found a fantastic Spiked Club that did 2-14 damage. NOTHING I have encountered has come close to this. Is that about average for level 9?

I'm seriously considering starting over. Failing quests because you don't have the 'punch' to take someone down is just demotivating. I get that the class isn't made for attacks, but without a single decent weapon, most of these quests are impossible. I'll probably restart, but Ive noticed several other users who need to find items like- Pouches, or what have you.

So I guess my basic question is, does the game look at what you have, and adjust the items dropped accordingly, or is it all completely random?

TheRani
04-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Seems pretty random to me. The logical thing to do when you're having this problem is put the nicer 2-handed weapons in the shared stash, create a warrior, let him wave those babies around for a while, and see if he lucks into anything 1-handed for your necromancer. That's what I do, anyway. Alternately, you can try investing in some skills that aren't very equipment dependent to tide you over until a good weapon drops, and respec later.

Inspired
04-02-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm pretty sure it's all random. Though, from my own experience you seem to usually get a weapon everytime you get a rep level so if you can hold out till then you have a pretty good chance of getting a single handed weapon. I started off warrior so that I could have a decent chance of beating the game while collecting gear for a clothie.

OneoftheLost
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Heh, I guess I spoke too soon.

Managed to slog through that particular boss, still havn't found a decent weapon, but I took the advice given, and started putting points into non equipment based skills. Still having a bit of trouble, but like you said, was awarded a decent axe for the next rep level.

Been working on this same town for a while now. Darned bosses' keep spawning. It never ends lol.

Thanks for the tips!

Inspired
04-02-2010, 11:47 PM
You know, I think you have a great idea with your hybrid combination except I wonder if Archer/Necro would be more efficient. The whole idea for a necro is not to get hit in the first place, right? I might try the archer/necro, just stand back and pop them off while my minions take the abuse especially since you get a skill that lessens threat.

OneoftheLost
04-03-2010, 12:31 AM
The problem is that it takes something like 3 levels to reach 2 skellies. Quite a bit of points, not to mention, that before you reach higher levels, (They seem to level with you.) they can take all of a single hit from a boss. I'm not sure if maybe the conjurer isn't a better summoner.

I do like the skellies at later levels however, they can pack a whollop, and when you have two it takes a while for the enemies to divide and conquer. Just my experience anyway, I only went necro for the skelly's and the skelly boosting skill. The problem is that the defender class doesn't have ANY punch. The best defense is a good offense, and while my shield skills can take a beating, Gut and shield bash simply don't do enough damage in return. I'm pretty much an armored necro. Probably gonna restart as a diff combo.

On a diff subject, what are your feelings on the Normal setting? I was playing on slow, and it seemed pretty easy (in saving towns that is. Not so many quests popped up.) With neither fast, nor slow checked, the game is quite fast, and I can't kill the bosses before another pops up. :( Any ideas?

Inspired
04-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Well. I'm with you on the offense is a much better defense. I can one shot bosses with a crit hit and two hit them otherwise so I can go through a whole dungeon without ever having to go back for more pots. I would drop Defender and take Healer and I would buff my pets in Lich and take bone shatter for dmg and holy shield for defense. Starting off, I would put a few points in holy shield then I would just put everything into Bone Shatter because it's going to be your aoe dmg and it's going to wipe out the most enemies and that's going to help you level until you have enough points in it that you can start buffing other areas. Or.. throw everything into dark ritual summon skeletons and see if that helps you. I'll try making one some time tonight and see how it works.
My only fear is I am going to hit 100 and be bored because I can one hit everything. I am still quite upset about the artifact stats.. they just really don't impress me.