PDA

View Full Version : Demo bug: invisible roadblock

Roswitha
04-04-2010, 01:05 AM
I was playing the demo as a Ranger today (still waiting for payday :) when I ran across a problem. I was at an intersection with roads going to the top left, top right, and bottom left. My character refused to enter the bottom left road. I eventually left it alone and finished the level, hoping there was nothing critical behind it.

I came back later and took a screen capture. The space to the left of my character is impassible. There's a purple floor marker farther down the road, which may or may not have anything to do with it.

Then I played a game with a new character, saved the town, and decided to come back and check the roadblock, which meant I had to re-load the Ranger. The roadblock was still there. I suddenly registered that my stamina was zero. After a bit of checking, I found that as I approached the roadblock, after I passed a certain point, my stamina stopped regenerating. It just went steadily down until I went away from the roadblock and passed that point again. Then it filled back up again. This did not happen the first time I checked, as evidenced by the screen capture.

I marked the regeneration point for both of the other roads on the screen capture.

Hope you can re-create the bug. :)

Demo version 0.910

udm
04-04-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey Ros, try throwing a Flaming Oil down that area. I had this problem too: it was with a zombie who refused to spawn - either he was stuck in the wall or something. When I threw a Flaming Oil, it burned him and he suddenly appeared out of thin air.

Oh btw it was with that particular dungeon's tileset that happened to me too, so maybe that has something to do with this.

Shadow
04-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Like udm said it's probably a hiding zombie or skeleton. Do you use light step or much higher level than the monsters in this area?

Roswitha
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
No. It's a brand new character in her first dungeon (on level 1, in fact). I don't use light step. I'll have to try the flaming oil trick. I wonder why it affects my stamina, though.

TheRani
04-05-2010, 12:36 AM
No. It's a brand new character in her first dungeon (on level 1, in fact). I don't use light step. I'll have to try the flaming oil trick. I wonder why it affects my stamina, though.

That particular dungeon style tends to have twisty passages that block the character's line of sight, and also the enemies' line of sight. I play a couple of ranged characters, and it becomes painfully obvious when they're in a twisty hallway like that, and they can see a monster around the bend, but they can't target it because the game assures me I can't see it. I think there's probably a zombie or skeleton there, and he's blocking your ability to pass, but he can't See you due to the line of sight issues, so he doesn't pop out to attack. Whenever you're near an enemy, your movements spend stamina. So when you go near this zombie or whatever it is, the game thinks, "Oh, you're in combat" and causes your movement to spend stamina. When you get far enough away from it, the game says, "Oh. Combat's over" and your stamina starts recharging again.

Roswitha
04-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Yep. That was it. I didn't even have to do the flaming oil. As soon as I re-loaded the game, a zombie spawned. After that I was able to pass. Thanks for the explanations. :)