PDA

View Full Version : Diablo 3.

OneoftheLost
04-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Yup, that big, pink, pachyderm sitting in the corner, quietly showing off videos filled with walls falling over, and rather alarming swarms of... things appearing.

I was playing an internet co-op game of Din's Curse, and brought it up. The other player was excited, but echoed my main concern with the game.

Sure, I love diablo 2. I liked the classes, and the semi-balanced nature that they brought to the table. Yet, the new Monk, Barbarian, Wizard and Voodoo thingie, all look pretty tame. I liked how the Voodoo guy could infect his own pets, this powering them up with his ranged attack, but beyond that... it all seems 'generic.'

I DID like the massive boss tearing that unlucky barb in half. Not because I like gore, but because it adds insult to injury.

Anybody else have thoughts based upon released Diablo 3 info?

P.s. Couldn't find another thread on this, so sorry if I missed one.

TheRani
04-04-2010, 02:27 AM
It looks awesome so far. The skills they showed in the videos look like fun. I like that they're making all 5 classes available in either gender this time. I'm looking forward to finding out what the 5th class will be. Certainly I'll be buying this one when it comes out. Eventually.

OneoftheLost
04-04-2010, 02:57 AM
I have to agree with the consensus on the Blizzard forums, I'm thinking the 5th char will be some sort of ranged archer/thingiewhatsit. They have everything else pretty well covered.

FloodSpectre
04-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I'm gonna miss the Paladin. I loved the different builds you could put together with him (though I didn't much care for the overpowered Hammerdin..) and he was a lot of fun with co-op games because of his auras.

Damn Blizzard for making me find a new class to like! I agree that none of the ones shown off really seem to be appealing. Titan Quest really spoiled me with its class system.

OneoftheLost
04-04-2010, 04:38 PM
The monk looks like a pally type char. Maybe they mixed the assasin with the pally?

Havn't really seen any info on that class, or the stock wizard.

Kruztee
04-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm sad that I just can't get excited about D3. I don't even know why.:(

udm
04-05-2010, 07:27 AM
I like Diablo 1 a lot. It was dark, even creepy at times. It just felt like you were in mortal danger all the time, even when fighting cheesy enemies like humanoid goats.

Diablo 2 was still decent, in that it retains the same dark, gothic feel from Diablo 1. But, it was boring. I fell asleep while playing through Act 2 before uninstalling it. Never did try multiplayer.

Diablo 3. Now there's a game I don't care about. It looks more like an evolution of Torchlight than the Diablo series thanks to the more cheerful-looking Warcraft 3 style. Plus, it doesn't really have any innovations, except for technological ones, like physics and graphics. Just looks so generic all around. Maybe it'll be good, maybe Blizzard will surprise us - we'll just have to wait and see. But I'm not holding my hopes up for anything other than a Torchlight 2.0.

Kruztee
04-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I think that udm pretty much covered the way I feel about D3. Although I did enjoy D2 and played it to completion multiple time. D1 was the best!

dnuggs40
04-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Diablo 3 looks amazing...love the art style (which imo looks like a dark painting) and love some the new ideas. A few of them, like the skill rune system, is pretty evolutionary in the genre.

Warfran
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Diablo 3 looks amazing...love the art style (which imo looks like a dark painting) and love some the new ideas. A few of them, like the skill rune system, is pretty evolutionary in the genre.

Have to agree with dnuggs40 on this one.

Diablo 3 is really looking good to me and has quite a ways to go yet, the production values are top notch as always and Blizzard has rarely if ever let me down.

Can't say anything else being released down the road has me as interested as D3.

Shadow
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm personally looking forward to it. Diablo is the one game series I give a pass on for not doing much new since it pretty much kick started this sub-genre. I don't expect to play it until at least 2011 though.

OneoftheLost
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Sadly, I agree with you on that point. I waited for Starcraft 2 for YEARS after it was announced. Now I don't even care. Which is why I'm trying to not give Diablo 3 too much attention, I don't see it out before late 2011 early 2012.

getter77
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Likely be quite awhile before I get around to DIII as well, though I suppose I was also some years late to the party that was DII LoD without meaning to.

Jorlen
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I like Diablo 1 a lot. It was dark, even creepy at times. It just felt like you were in mortal danger all the time, even when fighting cheesy enemies like humanoid goats.

Diablo 2 was still decent, in that it retains the same dark, gothic feel from Diablo 1. But, it was boring. I fell asleep while playing through Act 2 before uninstalling it. Never did try multiplayer.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who favoured Diablo 1 to Diablo 2. I keep replaying the original 1 over the years, but I never go back to D2. I think it was a different lead team that did D2 though, but I may be mistaken.

That's why I'm hoping Diablo 3 is going to be good. But, I'm not getting my hopes up; I'll just see what happens when it happens and go from there.

DeathKnight1728
05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I "liked" d2 when it was fun. But after i played it for the last time this beginning of the year and finally beat the ubers....I said i'm done.

It went in this exact order.....Diablo 2, Baldurs Gate series, Baldurs Gate Series (lol), Depths of Peril, Dark Eden (Vampire MMORPG), and finally to Din's Curse. And out of all of them I have to say i liked the Baldurs Gate Series the most.

FloodSpectre
10-22-2010, 07:26 PM
They announced the fifth class for Diablo 3 today. Tell me if this sounds familiar: the Demon Hunter.... ;)

DeathKnight1728
10-22-2010, 09:12 PM
I just saw it on the site, and I dont know what to make of it. If irony was made of strawberries, we'd all be eating alot of smoothies.

Shadow
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I saw that. Other than the name it doesn't really sound like they are very similar though. That and ours will probably be out way before theirs will. :)

Ghost Matter
10-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Don't wanna think about it. Don't wanna get excite when it's gonna be released in 2 years.

Inspired
12-17-2010, 08:11 AM
I simply can't wait for it.

Inspired
12-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Sorry for the double post but yeah I don't plan on seeing diablo 3 out till around 2012. They just had the WoW expansion and SC 2 is suppose to be coming out with something new soon so they aren't going to compete with their selves. I'm sure they will keep them as separated in time as they can.

Shadow
12-17-2010, 09:27 AM
There was a leak recently that put Diablo 3 in the 4th quarter of 2011. Whether or not that really happens is a different story.

Bluddy
01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Interesting update here (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325959/Systems_Changes-1_19_2012#blog): they're STILL making huge balance changes. Not a huge surprise there -- hat's what takes the longest time. Also, they stole the town portal button and the item identification scheme from DC!

Shadow
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Interesting update here (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/4325959/Systems_Changes-1_19_2012#blog): they're STILL making huge balance changes. Not a huge surprise there -- hat's what takes the longest time. Also, they stole the town portal button and the item identification scheme from DC!

I saw that. That makes me really wonder if they are trying to compete with Duke Nukem Forever or they are just doing their normal polish for a long time thing.

We actually did the ID scheme and most of the town teleport all of the way back in DoP.

Bluddy
01-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I saw that. That makes me really wonder if they are trying to compete with Duke Nukem Forever or they are just doing their normal polish for a long time thing.

:) I think they spent a lot of their time trying to reinvent the ARPG formula to make it fresh, like having more than 4 main stats, but after experimenting for a while (a long while) they decided to go back to many of the things that worked in D2. Of course, given the fact that they have WoW cash to fall back on, they can take as much time as they want.

The danger is that competitors will have innovated past everything in D3 in the meantime, which is exactly what happened in Duke Nukem Forever. Though an FPS using the latest graphics tech is much more sensitive to time passing than an ARPG using cartoony graphics.

We actually did the ID scheme and most of the town teleport all of the way back in DoP.

Yeah I realize the ID scheme is from DoP but a town teleport integrated into the interface is from DC so I just mentioned DC.

Shadow
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
It looks like one of the senior producers has left now, read it here (http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/106523-diablo-iii-senior-producer-no-longer-with-blizzard.html). Usually a senior person like that leaving towards the end of a project means bad things, their part of the project is done, or someone get a much better offer somewhere else, but who knows what it means at Blizzard.

Bluddy
01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Here's my reading of it:

- It's unlikely that someone would willingly leave Blizzard, which is one of the most stable companies in the video game world.

- If an senior producer wanted to leave, he would probably want to wait until D3 is released so he can put the release on his resume.

- One option is that he's leaving a sinking ship, but that's a very improbable option -- D3 will sell amazingly well regardless of its actual quality.

- The more likely option is that just like the rest of the world, the powers that be in Vivendi/Activision/Blizzard have gotten fed up with waiting for D3 to be released. Management probably thinks the D3 team has been dawdling because they weren't in the spotlight. Then again, I'm sure most of the resources in Blizzard have gone towards WoW, so it may not entirely been the team's fault.

- If you look at the changes that the team is about to implement now that they're supposed to be pretty close to release, some of them are minor -- like integrating the town portal into the interface. But others, like narrowing down the stats back to 4, are pretty major. This is the kind of change that requires rebalancing the whole game. It also speaks of admitting defeat -- the team spent a lot of time trying something new and now went back to the original implementation from D1 and D2. While the dev team would like to present this as a small change, it could cause a delay of perhaps 3 months.

- The natural conclusion is that corporate did what they know best -- they've decided that the management wasn't doing its job adequately, and have brought in a new producer to wrap things up. The old producer may have been fired or may have chosen to leave under the circumstances.

Shadow
05-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok, now that Diablo 3 has been out for a couple weeks, is there any features it has that you guys think other developers should pay attention to? I'll definitely play it eventually, but I've been pretty busy since it launched for some reason.

Bluddy
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Ok, now that Diablo 3 has been out for a couple weeks, is there any features it has that you guys think other developers should pay attention to? I'll definitely play it eventually, but I've been pretty busy since it launched for some reason.

I think the main things from my perspective are the skill system, which is a radical redesign of what ARGs since D2 have been doing, and the removal of stat point assignment, which takes the game further away from the RPG genre.

Delilah Rehm
05-29-2012, 04:32 PM
Mmmm-hmm... Is Diablo going mainstream? Chasing the dollars? I wonder if I'll like D3 as much as I liked D2. :confused:

TheRani
05-29-2012, 06:39 PM
After I discovered it was no longer possible to play Single Player offline, and the auction house was messing up the game balance, and the craptastic drop rates are making everybody dependent on it, I decided against getting it after all. Now I'm holding out for Torchlight 2.

getter77
05-29-2012, 07:56 PM
From all I've seen from others playing on account of lack of money and qualms not unlike TheRani's...well...I'd say EXP for Lore bits found is good as well as a deeper integration of "Physics" ala knockback and such being punchier as opposed to just yet more floating numbers.

I trust Path of Exile to provide a more sensible online RPG experience, especially for single player...and of course good old free/offline Triangle Wizard has seen a good update or so(option for some traditional graphics versus the abstract vector doings and much more) in the wake of DIII's release, heh.

aReclusiveMind
05-29-2012, 10:38 PM
I haven't bought Diablo 3. I'm just not interested in the changes they've made.

I've been following the comments from the forums I frequent and opinions are mixed. A lot of positive early on, but it seems replayability may be lacking in the long run.

Obviously the skill system was changed quite a bit, and I'm not convinced it is for the better. I prefer a tree combination system similar to what Din's Curse and Titan Quest have. Let me pick two sets of skills and build the character I want to play rather than shoehorning me into a set role.

They modified loot drops significantly. The only time you apparently get boosted loot drops from bosses is the first time you kill them in normal. Even the first time you fight them in harder modes, you aren't guaranteed anything useful from them. Also, loot drops in general have been drastically reduced. According to Blizzard representatives, they want to encourage auction house use and have modified loot drop numbers to accommodate that behavior.. Auction houses are not a good mechanic for an ARPG, and I feel go against the grain of one of the ARPG genre's core mechanics, the hunt for loot. Finding a cool item is MUCH better than buying it from some auction house.

I'm anxious to see Drox Operative in action and may be able to offer suggestions to you after that. Right now, I don't want to recommend a game that is potentially light years ahead of Diablo 3 in design do anything that D3 is doing. :)

DeathKnight1728
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
This is really a major turndown. I used to love making magic find characters and how certain magic find characters were better than others. It was so fun in d2 to use a sorc as she was easy to teleport, only to find that there were magic find barbs that use search monster to great effect too.

A Reclusive Mind said-

"I'm anxious to see Drox Operative in action and may be able to offer suggestions to you after that."

Just wait for the beta, it was a heck of a lot of fun for dins curse and I'm sure it will be for drox. Its going to take a little bit of patience for me since I'm not used to space games like space rangers; but with soldak's dynamic game mechanics, it will be like dop I'm sure. We'll need every bit of help we can get so the more people the merrier.

DeathKnight1728
05-31-2012, 11:49 AM
edit-double post

PixelLord
06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
This is really a major turndown. I used to love making magic find characters and how certain magic find characters were better than others. It was so fun in d2 to use a sorc as she was easy to teleport, only to find that there were magic find barbs that use search monster to great effect too.

A Reclusive Mind said-

"I'm anxious to see Drox Operative in action and may be able to offer suggestions to you after that."

Just wait for the beta, it was a heck of a lot of fun for dins curse and I'm sure it will be for drox. Its going to take a little bit of patience for me since I'm not used to space games like space rangers; but with soldak's dynamic game mechanics, it will be like dop I'm sure. We'll need every bit of help we can get so the more people the merrier.

Drox Operative really does combine the best of Din's Curse and Depths of Peril. Even though it's a space game, you will find a lot of things that are familiar in regards to game play. One difference would be that there are no walls to limit your travel, but the game notifies you if you've wandered out of a star system and guides you back.

firejing
06-28-2012, 07:07 AM
I really like Diablo series.I am a big fan of Diablo 2 and excited to waiting Diablo 3,but to be honesty ,I feel a little disappointed.:( Wanna read reviews about mmo (http://www.dotmmo.com) such as seven souls online (http://www.dotmmo.com/seven-souls-online-6657.html), perfect. I have some new reviews of grimlands (http://www.dotmmo.com/grimlands-7105.html) for you. just visit dommo and you will see all reviews about reign of thunder (http://www.dotmmo.com/reign-of-thunder-6942.html) and mmo online games.

SimbaTao
08-31-2012, 02:19 AM
I won't buy Diablo 3 on principle. I abhor being told I have to connect to something to play a game. I play games years and years after I buy them, and I am not too sure they will still have the servers running if I decide to play. I refuse to take the chance in any case. I am looking forward to Torchlight II instead.

I don't appreciate being classed as a pirate before I even pay for a game. I have no intention of stealing anything, so why do I get the feeling games like this assume I will be a criminal. I don't like the idea of the auction house either.

I played the demo and it definitely had that "Diablo feel" but it seemed watered down or something.

The first Diablo, imo was the best. It had me jumping and tense through the whole game. Diablo II had some moments but it wasn't as tense or as exciting for me.

If anything Shadow, I think Blizzard could take a few pointers from you guys about good game play. They don't seem too interested in anything fresh or different, and in this world of a billion games, I think it's almost a prerequisite, that a game have something unique to offer.

Just my 2 pennies. :)