PDA

View Full Version : Game Improvement

Bogeyman
04-05-2010, 10:34 PM
First, great job on this game. It's really well done. The common complaints and suggestions for improvement have already been made, and I tend to agree with many of them.

That said, I've seen one improvement idea made several times (by several people) and I think it's such a good idea I'd like to mention it again:

Having a persistent map of the different towns in the game. What's going on (overview) in each town. Is it saved? Does it need saving? One can surmise that not every town on the map would need saving, but that bad things might happen here and there that cause a town to "go bad" and need a hero. I think having such a map would give the player a MUCH greater feeling of accomplishment. After all, one would be able to re-enter towns already saved, talk to the shopkeepers, etc., and then also save the towns that are in trouble.

I realize this is probably not an easy addition. But, wow, what a game this would turn into!! :D:D:D

interesting
04-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I started to promote the game with my guild members.

Everyone liked the game and I managed to sucessfully show them the unique elements of design.

But then, after playing one game, one town, this friend said on teamspeak with a bit of sadness in his voice something about "I finished the town, but now what? start a new game? is that all there is to it?"

Then I said that everygame would be different, like he had witnessed when he played, but he quickly intervenied and said "we keep playing to get more level and gear, I understand"

One thing Im starting to ask myself... we have been playing these hack and slash games for years now, and I never seen people complaining about this "issues". Its like we get to a gaming "maturity" phase where we start asking existential questions for our characters "what I am doing? Why do I exist? What is my destiny? Why do I do what I do?"

And in the past we didnt evaluated games that didnt answered those questions as meaningless or pointless compared to as we do today. Its like we are getting more demanding.

By the way.
You know when you kill a named monster or find a legendary item or complete a quest and you go back to town and talk to an npc and he aknowledges what you just did?

Imagine if all the towns existed in the same world, and some npcs could travel from town to town and appear randomly sometimes on the town where you are, imagine if this npc came from the last time you saved (this would be a random event and the game would keep track of various details of your last games for these situations) and he aknowledged what you did in the last town, or even spread the word in this town, causing effects, such as reducing prices for you on the npcs. This would be more than what a legendary developer Peter Molineux promised for his game, Fable, many years ago and could not deliver.

This is at Shadows' reach, wich already have the core mechanics of this organic engine of life and interactivity, where a player character is just another being, the world doesnt revolve around the character, but he can nevertheless affect the world around himself with his genuine choices, we can currently see the innerworkings of procedurally generated story worth content in a sandbox. Pessimists around the world said this would never work, Din's curse is the closest Ive seen of this dream design.

One of the conversation topics with said npc would be asking about the old town. (The game would randomly choose multiple possible story/happenings for the old town, maybe it grew bigger, maybe it got destroyed, maybe it got taken by some insectoid monster race, maybe nothing happened and it is still there, strong, thanks to you) After finishing the current game, the player would then be offered the chance to go back to the old town to help the npc (if one of the random events/stories for that town is a quest), or maybe the player can continue his journey to the next town that needs a hero.

I can see it working exactly with the same design for quests/events we have for each town, except in a bigger scale, and the actions the player does in various towns would maybe trigger one or multiple random "major plots" or unveil an "underlying story" (and for those, we would use/connect the lore of the world we found in the books for Depths of Peril, maybe a character written in a book said to be dead, is alive, maybe something said to be just a myth, is more real than people think it is, and these offer many opportunities to entertain players and hook them up for multiple games/towns) for that world (that character game type, i.e. one for hardcore, one for normal players).

Bogeyman
04-06-2010, 12:30 AM
No pressure, Shadow ;)

TheRani
04-06-2010, 12:31 AM
The way I understand it, the point of Din's Curse is not the salvation of the world, because there will Always be more stuff going wrong. Even after I saved a town and was just puttering around and checking vendors afterwards, I've had more quests pop up.

The point of the game is to gain your character's freedom. To escape the curse by gradually, town after town, changing your character from a selfish jerk into a kind and honorable hero.

udm
04-06-2010, 03:38 AM
That is true Rani, but interesting's idea brings up the point of persistence - it's something that keeps a player going and going. Having connected towns one way or another will promote a sense of persistence.

As it is, saving one town and moving on to another is IMHO an aspect of a game more geared towards the casual audience, as in people who can only afford an hour or two of gaming time a day. Does this mean it's a bad design? No, but I can empathize with people who don't like this idea of town-saved-lets-move-on, since it sometimes leaves me not wanting more when I move on to the next town.

In other words, IMO the game world is too small to leave a sense of epicness. Having bosses and mobs invade the town create this feeling, but it is only contained within this one town, so the scale is relatively small. Do I have a problem with this? Not really, I am one of those who can live with this type of game progression. Do I think having multiple towns is a better idea? Hell yes.

Anyone remember Nox? Now that was a great ARPG that left a very nice sense of epicness. Sure the maps are linear, but they are varied and are fun to explore. It'd be nice to imagine Nox's maps with Din's Curse emergent gameplay.

RoanokeKeeper
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
The advantage of the current design is that it is an ARPG that you don't just hack and slash and loot--you can lose/win the mini game in each town. It kind of reminds me of FastCrawl--a short goal-driven rpg where you either win or lose by accomplishing the goal (killing a boss monster). Even the ultimate goal of winning your freedom doesn't seem as important compared to that. Any ultimate epic goal should play into the town win/lose thing.

RoanokeKeeper
04-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The advantage of the current design is that it is an ARPG that you don't just hack and slash and loot--you can lose/win the mini game in each town. It kind of reminds me of FastCrawl--a short goal-driven rpg where you either win or lose by accomplishing the goal (killing a boss monster). Even the ultimate goal of winning your freedom doesn't seem as important compared to that. Any ultimate epic goal should play into the town win/lose thing.

Animation
04-08-2010, 03:05 PM
It would be neat if you could get a random (fractal?) continent and starting location. Then, as you save, lose, or abandon towns, the map places these other towns on the map and you could return. It'd be cool of older towns could occasionally need a quest done, or whatever. Hey, maybe there could even be evil heroes ransacking towns and you might meet up and be able to defeat them and then liberate all their conquered towns, in addition to saving the ones in your quest chain.

Anyway, stuff for an expansion perhaps. :)

Bogeyman
04-09-2010, 01:35 AM
I like that idea, Animation. :)

The_Dajaw
04-09-2010, 03:07 AM
What I'd love more than several towns is to have the diplomacy, raids, random maps surrounding the town and hireable henchman as in Depths.

Some sort of merged expansion would be a sure purchase from me anyway. Perhaps have the 'overworld' maps easier but less rewarding than doing quests in the main dungeon...

Ah it t'would be grand.

udm
04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
^Indeed! :D

graffen69
04-10-2010, 05:24 AM
Some ideas for a mod/patch/Expansion:

Weapon & Armor trigger procs not only by getting hit but also when hitting as in:
Mana steal/Life steal/DoT Weapon/Armor triggered by either a) getting hit or b) hitting or c) blocking or d) parrying etc.
(Example 1. An Axe gaining +2 HP per hit on mob)
(Example 2 A Ring granting +3 Mana per killed mob)
(Example 3 A shield getting +1 mana & energy when blocking etc.)

Items with either have a minor (like 1-10%) faster reuse time decree on all skills or a higher value (10-30 % reuse time decree) on a specific skill. If it affects all skills could also be a procc (as in getting hit or hitting).
(Example 1. A leather leg armor that gives a random permanent 1-10% reuse time on all skills
(Example 2. A Staff that gives a permanent 10-30 % reuse time decree on Fireball)
(Example 3. A Cloth Armor that yield a temporary 25-50 % reuse time decree on all skills 1-5 % every time it (the cloth armor) gets hit)

Potions with class skills (1 time use only) &/or Gear with % to proc level # Class Skills
(Example 1. A potion giving Teleport skill level 3 for one time use)
(Example 2. A Potion giving Champion skill level 5 for one time use)

Sockets & corresponding gems that could yield anything from a stat/resistance bonus to class skill bonus, +health or mana/kill, faster reuse time decree (as above) etc. Note: Class skill socket gems would not yield the actual skill, only raise it +# skill levels.
(Example 1. A gem with +2 Skill lvl on Gouge)

Set items yield a minor bonus for each part beyond 1

Cut all drops & Vendor sold Items (not food nor drink) by 25% - 75% (most likely for a mod, or a world modifier)

A blinking icon (or similair) if any of your gear is broken. At the same token a notification when an item goes down to >5 (or 20 %) of its max durability.

An in game option to auto pause game whenever a vendor or stash is opened (since you can trade & handle stash in a paused game.) Time is precious on a lot of quests =)

Shaman skill ”Champion” add +2 sec duration for every skill point beyond 1

All for now!

FloodSpectre
04-10-2010, 12:32 PM
When your gear is nearly broken there's a graphic sort of like "spidering" cracked glass that shows up on the right side of the screen, if I recall correctly. It's the same that shows up over a damaged item in your inventory.

graffen69
04-15-2010, 01:27 AM
How bout a mod wheras you can buy back stat points as well as Skill points, maybe at a higher cost? I know i would spend my hard earned money on this on at least a couple toons and try out different builds whereas certain stat points ive spent would be wasted. ;)

elsol69
04-18-2010, 08:58 PM
More hybrid stuff

Like for instance --

For a 15% reduction in Exp, Gold, Item Pop... choose 2 skills from other 'classes' in your hybrid class choices.

I.E. If paladin is one of your hybrid classes -- you can take Prayer from the healer class.

So if I chose Sorcerer -- Healer ... I could take Lich and Champion from the other classes if I want to take the penalty.

And for an additional 10% penalty -- I could take any skill 'except the super skills' from a class outside of my hybrids.

I.E. Sorcerer/Healer could take Deep Thought for the Mana bonus.

Caal
04-18-2010, 09:05 PM
How about a super hybrid - only one skill tree, but pick any 10 skills from any other skill trees.

graffen69
04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I find it ironic that bashing a chest or stash open works faster then using a key. Would prolly make more sense changing Key-usage to instant and Rogue ”disarm trap” to X seconds, lessening the time it takes to Disarm (and searching bodies) for every skill level..

elsol69
04-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Another improvement...

A third toggle on the 'item descriptions' thing for See only Money and Magically Enhanced Items...

Maybe at higher levels everything is magical but at this point, I don't pick up the normal items so it would be nice if the game let me choose not to see them.

Valgor
04-20-2010, 08:18 PM
When your gear is nearly broken there's a graphic sort of like "spidering" cracked glass that shows up on the right side of the screen, if I recall correctly.

It also plays a "glass cracking" sound as a warning.

Would be nice if it showed me exactly which item was broken, so I don't have to call up the inventory and go looking for it myself.

TheRani
04-20-2010, 11:51 PM
It also plays a "glass cracking" sound as a warning.

Would be nice if it showed me exactly which item was broken, so I don't have to call up the inventory and go looking for it myself.

In my experience it's usually the weapon.

Valgor
04-21-2010, 07:31 AM
The only thing that ever broke on me was a pair of obsidian gloves. I usually hit the "Repair everything" button everytime I visit a smith.

TheRani
04-22-2010, 12:18 AM
The only thing that ever broke on me was a pair of obsidian gloves. I usually hit the "Repair everything" button everytime I visit a smith.

Oooh, I see. There are people who actually use obsidian things...

Valgor
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, they were pretty good gloves, with a huge armor bonus and some nice stat boosts as well. Infinitely better than any other gloves I was carrying around at the time,
and their durability was almost full when they dropped, so I thought "Why not?"

m0stly_harmless
07-23-2010, 01:25 PM
How about taking the "THORNS" modifier away from bosses?

I died 18 times last night trying to kill a Dark Elf boss who had a "THORNS" %50 damage returned modifier.

Very annoying. Specially when delivering a critical... :p

Backwood
07-27-2010, 03:56 AM
Praise be the main gameplay mechanics of Depths of Peril and Din's Curse. Both are well done and, as far as I know, unique in a working production. They achieve what well-funded studios have failed to pull off time and time again, and if there's any kind of pattern to Soldak's games, the future is a bright one.

While I don't know what plans might be for the next game cooked up, I think there are some prime ingredients ready at hand to make another great. Combine the guild systems and AI of diplomacy, war, trade, and so on of Depths of Peril with the dynamic worlds and towns (as well as their salvation or doom) of Din's Curse to create an entire random world, or at least region.

Each guild has their own town, like a series of Din's Curse towns, each with their own goals, quests, and modifiers for the area. Have the towns start pretty basic and expand based on the quests you complete (such as gathering resources for a new Armorsmith shop or collecting a rare artifact for a defense tower), and suffer or stagnate for quests you ignore or fail (townspeople starve if you don't save their farms, or migrate to other towns if you fail them enough).

Use the same basic systems of Depths of Peril regarding other towns and their guilds, letting you trade, ally with, or destroy them (for starters). Compete for resources and fame to attract migrants to your town, or sneak in and sabotage the competition, either directly or by sending minions you've acquired or hired.

Have strong bosses and veritable armies of evil critters that, as in Din's Curse, don't just sit around and wait for some hero to come a smitin'. Maybe you pull a quest that incites the army of dark elves to attack an enemy town, or maybe you team up with another town and their forces to take down a particularly nasty baddy.

Most of this stuff has basically already been done between the games, just not in a grand scale. It'd be great to see your actions carry weight beyond your little town and see the world actively change, even if in simple ways like a few new huts popping up or critters moving into the charred remains of a former opposing town.

These games are great not just because of what they've achieved, but what they still can.

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Meet Taris. A superboss mimic (pictures below). He's also a whole bunch of other choice words that I'm probably not allowed to post here. :D

I created a new world with lower leveled monsters so I could just collect some coin and health goodies so I could last a little longer below in a harder towns. Apparently, I'm not supposed to do this and I am being punished by being introduced to this menace.

He's horribly good at one-shot criticals which always range in the 2000 - 2500 HP range.

I've died 42 times to this monstrocity. Mimics are a painfull breed to run into in any form, but super bossing one?!?! That's just plain abusive.

I know I've saved the town and all, but now it's become personal and I need to rid myself of this creature. Is there anything I can do to off this thing and maybe mount his head in town somewhere?

Thanks,

Stef.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/m0stly_harmless/Other%20forums/Taris3.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/m0stly_harmless/Other%20forums/Taris2.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/m0stly_harmless/Other%20forums/Taris1.jpg

harmlessLevel 68 Necromancer / Weaponmaster (Din's Legend)Stats

Health: 836 / 836
Mana: 545 / 545

Attack: 1238
Defense: 401
Armor: 1578

Damage: 187 - 1020
Dps: 407.8

Reputation Level: 20

Money: 56SP 15CP

Attributes

Strength: 120
Dexterity: 105
Vitality: 107
Intelligence: 111
Spirit: 101

Points Left: 0

Resistances

Fire Resistance: 62
Cold Resistance: 54
Poison Resistance: 85
Lightning Resistance: 89
Magic Resistance: 38

Skills

Bolt of Gloom lvl 14
Raise Dead lvl 9
Whirlwind lvl 15
Sword Mastery lvl 9
Axe Mastery lvl 10

Points Left: 0

Equipment

Bone Scale Helmet
Rarity: Very Rare Basic Type: Mail
Durability 85 / 85
355 armor
+35 Intelligence
+328% armor
Requires 122 Strength
Requires armor skill: Mail
Sell value: 52SP 39CP
Retail value: 10GP 47SP 86CP

Opulent Amulet
Necklace
Rarity: Elite
+10 Strength
+32 Max Health
+21% Find Items Chance
+26% Magic Find Chance
+27 Light Intensity
Requires level 46
Sell value: 4SP 92CP
Retail value: 98SP 42CP

Aversion's Pauldron
Serpentskin Pauldron
Rarity: Set Basic Type: Leather
Durability 72 / 72
175 armor
+23 Armor
+27 Poison Resistance
+170% armor

Aversion's Set: Aversion's Rondel,
Aversion's Pauldron, Aversion's Gloves,
Aversion's Harness, Aversion's Bracers,
Aversion's Charm

With 3 items:
+25 Intelligence

With all 6 items:
+50 Intelligence

Requires level 53
Requires armor skill: Leather
Sell value: 9SP 96CP
Retail value: 1GP 99SP 24CP

Cloak of Shadows
Gabardine Cloak
Rarity: Elite Basic Type: Cape
Durability 53 / 53
106 armor
+18 Defense
+233 Attack
+40 Armor
+79 Max Health
+27 Fire Resistance
+25% armor
Requires level 53
Requires skill: Cape
Sell value: 11SP 29CP
Retail value: 2GP 25SP 92CP

Blackguard Tunic
Fortified Chain Chestpiece
Rarity: Elite Basic Type: Mail
Durability 43 / 43
245 armor
+6 Dexterity
+4 Spirit
+28 Armor
+13% Magic Find Chance
+125% armor
Requires 80 Strength
Sell value: 19SP 85CP
Retail value: 3GP 97SP 12CP

Brujar's Manic
Fortified Chain Bracers
Rarity: Artifact Basic Type: Mail
Durability 61 / 61
76 armor
+14 Dexterity
+12 Vitality
+35 Lightning Resistance
+205% armor
Requires 90 Strength
Sell value: 8SP 17CP
Retail value: 1GP 63SP 43CP

Ogre Hide Gloves
Rarity: Very Rare Basic Type: Leather
Durability 61 / 61
141 armor
+22 Armor
+56 Maximum Mana
+131% armor
2.8% chance to cast level 11 Petrify when hit
Requires level 56
Requires armor skill: Leather
Sell value: 15SP 81CP
Retail value: 3GP 16SP 38CP

Dense Bone Scale Girdle of Reconstitution
Rarity: Uncommon Basic Type: Mail
Durability 57 / 57
57 armor
+3.4 Health Regen
+186% armor
Requires 108 Strength
Sell value: 3SP 11CP
Retail value: 62SP 21CP

Holy Might
Ivory Scale Greaves
Durability 79 / 79
252 armor
+14 Strength
+19 Vitality
+16 Defense
+79 Max Health
+190% armor
Requires 120 Strength
Sell value: 42SP 83CP
Retail value: 8GP 56SP 75CP

Fate
Ivory Scale Boots
Durability 80 / 80
171 armor
+19 Strength
+197 Attack
+19 Cold Resistance
+35% Magic Find Chance
+190% armor
Requires 120 Strength
Sell value: 17SP 90CP
Retail value: 3GP 58SP 6CP

Sven's Gold Ring
Ring
Rarity: Set
+21 Spirit
+9 Fire Resistance
+9 Cold Resistance
+32 Poison Resistance
+9 Lightning Resistance
+67% Find Extra Money

Sven's Set: Sven's Helmet,
Sven's Pauldron, Sven's Breastplate,
Sven's Belt, Sven's Legplates,
Sven's Boots, Sven's Vambrace,
Sven's Gauntlets, Sven's Amulet,
Sven's Gold Ring, Sven's Silver Ring

With 3 items:
+16 Strength
+16 Vitality

With 7 items:
+32 Strength
+32 Vitality

With all 11 items:
+32 Strength
+32 Dexterity
+32 Vitality

Requires level 63
Sell value: 13SP 5CP
Retail value: 2GP 61SP 3CP

Sven's Silver Ring
Ring
Rarity: Set
+2.5 Health Regen
+6 Fire Resistance
+6 Cold Resistance
+6 Poison Resistance
+25 Lightning Resistance
+25% Find Items Chance

Sven's Set: Sven's Helmet,
Sven's Pauldron, Sven's Breastplate,
Sven's Belt, Sven's Legplates,
Sven's Boots, Sven's Vambrace,
Sven's Gauntlets, Sven's Amulet,
Sven's Gold Ring, Sven's Silver Ring

With 3 items:
+16 Strength
+16 Vitality

With 7 items:
+32 Strength
+32 Vitality

With all 11 items:
+32 Strength
+32 Dexterity
+32 Vitality

Requires level 63
Sell value: 5SP 68CP
Retail value: 1GP 13SP 68CP

Good Luck Charm
Jewelry
Rarity: Elite
+4 Dexterity
+119 Attack
+33% Find Extra Money
+8% Find Items Chance
+13% Magic Find Chance
Requires level 20
Sell value: 3SP 57CP
Retail value: 22SP 14CP

Good Luck Charm
Jewelry
Rarity: Artifact
+4 Dexterity
+119 Attack
+33% Find Extra Money
+8% Find Items Chance
+26% Magic Find Chance
Requires level 20
Sell value: 3SP 84CP
Retail value: 27SP 33CP

Stormrage
Crusader Axe
Rarity: Elite Basic Type: Two-Handed Axe
Durability 57 / 57
Two-handed
74 to 376 Damage Speed 1.48
152.0 damage per second
+18 Magic Resistance
+18% Find Items Chance
+9 Light Intensity
+25% damage
+158% maximum damage
+11 to 14 Lightning Damage
Requires 116 Strength
Requires 116 Dexterity
Requires weapon skill: Two Handed Axe
Sell value: 29SP 44CP
Retail value: 5GP 88SP 95CP

Fun stats

Kills: 32210
Deaths: 477
Kills Per Death: 67

Gold Found: 160GP 11SP 25CP
Time Played: 4d 8h 19m 50s
Max Damage Dealt: 3954
Max Damage Taken: 1517
Max Damage Dealt At Once: 8490
Max Health Healed: 924

Best Trap Disarmed: lvl 0

Strongest Monster Defeated: Breedingagony (Lvl 66)
Toughest Battle Won: Darkritual (Lvl 67) at Lvl 66
Strongest Monster Killed By: Breedingagony (Lvl 66)
Weakest Monster Killed By: Taris (Lvl 64)

Quests Solved: 1647

Equipment Worth: 47GP 38SP 52CP
Inventory Worth: 66GP 86SP 70CP

Secrets Found: 222

Towns Saved: 23
Towns Abandoned: 42
Towns Lost: 8

Din's Curse / Soldak Entertainment (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Overview.html)

Jorlen
08-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Meet Taris. A superboss mimic (pictures below). He's also a whole bunch of other choice words that I'm probably not allowed to post here. :D

I created a new world with lower leveled monsters so I could just collect some coin and health goodies so I could last a little longer below in a harder towns. Apparently, I'm not supposed to do this and I am being punished by being introduced to this menace.

He's horribly good at one-shot criticals which always range in the 2000 - 2500 HP range.

I've died 42 times to this monstrocity. Mimics are a painfull breed to run into in any form, but super bossing one?!?! That's just plain abusive.

You're probably not trying hard enough ;)

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
You're probably not trying hard enough ;)

You're probably right... I should have tried another 18 times just to make sure it's not just me... :p

Jorlen
08-05-2010, 05:53 PM
You're probably right... I should have tried another 18 times just to make sure it's not just me... :p

It won't attract dev attention until you reach 1000 deaths. That only leaves you another 954 tries.

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 05:56 PM
It won't attract dev attention until you reach 1000 deaths. That only leaves you another 954 tries.

Is that what I'm going wrong.... :confused:

Damn, it's gonna be a looooooong looooooong night. :D

Shadow
08-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I should mention that that is a really nasty combination of bonuses. I tend to leave monsters like that alone, level up some, and then come back and stomp them into the ground for revenge. :)

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
I should mention that that is a really nasty combination of bonuses. I tend to leave monsters like that alone, level up some, and then come back and stomp them into the ground for revenge. :)

LOL Dude, you don't need to mention it... I've quite figured it out on my own!!! 42 times, actually. heheh I'm a level 68, he's a level 64... :confused:I should be handing him his ass, not the other way around!! I'm also out of monsters to kill in this town - leveling up is gonna be hard to do. I also can't make a new town and come back (though, in this case, I'd love to...). :D

This particular bastige owes me 40 lives. (I can forgive two kills, at the most.) I'm gonna scream if he doesn't drop any valuable goodies. :mad:

DeathKnight1728
08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I have some advice. I read your character report and you dont have a lot of defense. Thus, you are prally getting hit every shot. This would be ok, but when fighting against a (JERK) like this you have to have high defense. Because your build has no actual defense in form of physical, you should try two things.

1-Get a load of summon dead which you probably already know.

2-This one is more important-respend or spend all your points into devastating blow. You are a mage class and have 545 mana. 545 damage which is enhanced by 10% plus your damage gives you the ultimate 1 hit ko. With that you might have enough damage to kill him in a little while. Just stack mana pots and whenever you see your summons getting to a few, run and get back to somewhere safe. If you get enough summons this might work the first try.

Good luck

Jorlen
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I have some advice. I read your character report and you dont have a lot of defense. Thus, you are prally getting hit every shot. This would be ok, but when fighting against a (JERK) like this you have to have high defense. Because your build has no actual defense in form of physical, you should try two things.

1-Get a load of summon dead which you probably already know.

2-This one is more important-respend or spend all your points into devastating blow. You are a mage class and have 545 mana. 545 damage which is enhanced by 10% plus your damage gives you the ultimate 1 hit ko. With that you might have enough damage to kill him in a little while. Just stack mana pots and whenever you see your summons getting to a few, run and get back to somewhere safe. If you get enough summons this might work the first try.

Good luck

No amount of defense could have saved him from this behemoth unfortunately. As you know, the mimic base monster is one of the most damaging apart from defenders, and as a superboss, he was hitting for ~2500 per hit. Like Shadow said, it's just the luck of the draw on certain bosses.

Also, his build has carried him this far, so it's not really fair to ask him to change his tactics for one single enemy.

The only way to defeat this monster is to stun-lock him with thunderbolt which is what we did. Of course, walking away is always an option, but stubborn people seldom do such things. /nudge

m0stly_harmless
08-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I have some advice. I read your character report and you dont have a lot of defense. Thus, you are prally getting hit every shot.

Like Jorlen already stated, I doubt any amount of defence would stop a 2000+ critical hit. Besides, up until this dude, I was pretty unstopable unless they were dishing out crits, or a magic based hits. I'm not going to change what works for me - and I'm pretty sure my armour is some of the best you can find for this level character... Thanks for the advice though.

Of course, walking away is always an option, but stubborn people seldom do such things. /nudge

NEVER!!! :D Leave no demon unfelled!!! :cool: (I'm not stubborn!)

/resembling that remark :p

torikamal
08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Say, could you upload your character save file and we could see who figures out how to kill him without changing any of your skills around.

DeathKnight1728
08-05-2010, 11:59 PM
I wasnt so much as asking him to change his tactics, I'm not sure even devastating blow would work. I'm just saying another avenue is devastating blow.

Mimics do suck. It's kind of surprising since you'd think that something like a chaos lord would be a pain to fight upclose but compared to the mimics its almost nothing.

Jorlen
08-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I wasnt so much as asking him to change his tactics, I'm not sure even devastating blow would work. I'm just saying another avenue is devastating blow.

Mimics do suck. It's kind of surprising since you'd think that something like a chaos lord would be a pain to fight upclose but compared to the mimics its almost nothing.

Devastating blow is definitely good, but with this particular monster, you're lucky to have gotten one or two attacks before death :)

I logged into his game and stun-locked this monster and it took him about a solid minute of hacking to kill it. Without stun-lock or a way to immobilize it, that monster would have been impossible to beat. Trust me on this one, I've put in well over 150 hours in this game and I've seen my fair share of tough bosses, but this one takes the cake :)

Shadow
08-06-2010, 12:01 PM
It's pretty cool that you guys managed to defeat him.

m0stly_harmless
08-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Devastating blow is definitely good, but with this particular monster, you're lucky to have gotten one or two attacks before death :)

I logged into his game and stun-locked this monster and it took him about a solid minute of hacking to kill it. Without stun-lock or a way to immobilize it, that monster would have been impossible to beat. Trust me on this one, I've put in well over 150 hours in this game and I've seen my fair share of tough bosses, but this one takes the cake :)

I've played this particular character for -> Time Played: 4d 8h 19m 50s. Addicted, maybe. That's not my point though. Up until this last superboss, I'd been able to dispatch everything rather easily. Like Jorlen said, it took TWO of us AND we had to stun him so he wouldn't land so many hits on me - and yet, he still managed to land a few good ones. Alone, yeah, I don't think I'd ever have killed him. Thanks Bro.

It's pretty cool that you guys managed to defeat him.

LOL. Only because of teamwork!

torikamal
08-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Go Din's Curse! That is really cool. It's actually pretty wonderful that this game is set up in a way where you can actually join up in a multi-player game and help each other out.