PDA

View Full Version : What's a mod?

Roswitha
04-06-2010, 02:24 PM
No, really. It's a serious question. Everybody is talking about modding, but nobody says what it is or how it is done. I'm guessing it's a modification of the game, but I'm not sure. How would I play a mod that somebody else did, and how would I go about making one myself?

Roswitha

(I've long since discovered that when I ask a "dumb" question, 95% of the class is frantically taking notes while the teacher answers.)

Shadow
04-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Yes, a mod is a modification of the game usually by normal users. A lot of data in the game is in simple text files that are pretty easy to change if you know what you are doing. If you want to use some one's mod, all you have to do is put the zip file in the Assets directory that is wherever you installed the game.

udm
04-06-2010, 03:11 PM
No problem Ros, don't berate yourself lol. A mod is, as you guessed, a modification of the game. Basically the game's assets are being compressed into zip files. A mod takes out these original game assets from the compressed zip, makes some changes here and there, then repackages it into another zip file. The game will then override this new zip file over the previous one, by detecting it's file name - from the letter "a" to "z", the earlier letters will be overridden by the later letters. Since the original assets zip files are called assets001.zip and assets002.zip, any mod with a zip file starting with the letter b and downwards will definitely override assets001.zip