PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Swarm is heavy on the mana bar

Animation
04-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Shadow / etc,

So I made a Magician / Warlock in order to try the Arcane Swarm skill. I basically just whacked my foes with my starting club until I was level 4 or 5 or whatever level I have to be to cast it. MAN the mana cost on that is soul crushing. What's the deal?

I've done this with other top-end skills (saved points until I could invest immediately asap) and none of them were even remotely similar in how hard it depletes the mana bar.

I think I cast it 5 times and I was tapped out. I don't remember exactly, but I just know that I couldn't even remotely maintain a fun level of play with the amount of mana it used.

Is this an oopsie? Or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks!

graffen69
04-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Make a habit of saving up Mana reg items. Even at char lvl 1 a lowly +1 or +2 mana reg item yields a lot. My wizzy at lvl 7 has +10 mana reg, i almost never run out of mana even when spamming Arcane Svarm.
As a side note, saving up gear that gives +on all stats (or a LOT on one stat) is a winner too. Check you basic skills (the ones you cannot invest skill points into) on all your skill trees to find out which stats your particular class should invest stat points into. Remember, basic skill modifiers stack.
For a plain Wizard, go Int and Dex.
Cheers!

Animation
04-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Thats great advice generally, but it doesn't change the fact that Arcane Swarm, in my opinion, is WAY too expensive. However, I've learned that people never agree with me on these things, so I'm just going to abandon the idea of ever making a magician based around that skill, and move on to something else.

Magitek
04-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Not quite why you think this ability is so bad.. it looks reasonable enough:

Damage potential of 32 damage (or 40?) for 20 mana at first rank.
Fiery blast deals upto 15 for 8 mana. Fire is also probably more resisted than pure magic.

It is pretty heavy on mana usage, but that's probably why its so expensive on skill points.

If you want to use it, I suggest pairing it with deepthought and mana regen as graffen69 said. Might be good to pair up using a hybrid with some form of mana regeneration or cost reduction (ie Magician/Druid, for the Mana Regen skill)