PDA

View Full Version : Few suggestions for next patch - small changes, big impact on gameplay:)

henryke
04-10-2010, 03:19 AM
just a few humble suggestions, to make gameplay even more enjoyable/smooth. Easy to implement small things for the next patch

Im not demanding haha ,tbh im extreme happy with Din's as is, - buying my second license for wifey's MAC soon - this post is more like just a "get off thingies from the chest" thing:) dont take it too serious:)

Warning - wall of text!

1. Player level indicator - beside hero name on left corner, all ARPG/CRPG have this, why Din's dont? (only mousover says your hero level at the moment)

2. Enemy health bar/own health/mana/stamina bar numerical display - a big green/blue/yellow indicator is nice, but without numbers its not a big help. It says enemy HP only when mouseover, but hard to mousover when fight - numerical enemy HP display can help to decide, which mobs to kill, which one to backstab first, who to avoid, etc, etc. Maybe numerical display can be made optional via menu (as some players dont like it)

3. Target lock - enuff said, could be a big positive impact on gameplay (fighting with bosses, etc, to prevent miss-clicks) something like wow-have should work i guess

4. Small hero avatar on character-page/maybe on inventory page: please, we likes to see our avatars, not just his/her back (something like on the character select at new game screen would be awesome) Also i've noticed, that all the armors/clothes have somewhat different graphics, so time to take advantage of this feature:)

5. Cooldown (CD) indicator/better CD indicator - at the moment, potions/buff/debuff displayed under hero indicator, but no countdown (or just barely visible?) - maybe put small number/or circle overlay or something there - its nice to see how much minutes left from the poison debuff, without mouse-overing on the debuff:) Same goes for skills if they have CD.

6. Reputation level indicator, above/below XP indicator (maybe make it optional) - such an important info, and its hidden on the character-page at the moment

7. Quest page - sort quest by dungeon level - so you can see, where to start, and where to go, ie. "i have quests, they range from dungeon lvl5 till lvl8, so lets start at lvl5, and go to lvl8 one by one). Atm quests sorted by... sorted by... i dont know... the order when they were picked up maybe?

8. quest progress indicator on screen (optional maybe?) - "13/20 skulls picked up on lvl02" ... "0/1 bigmadaboss killed on lvl04" ... "0/1 evil altar destroyed on lvl08" etc, etc. Saves us time to open qlog all the time

This list will be edited as im playing more - Feel free to add your suggestions as well - and thanks Soldak for this awesome game!!!!

OneoftheLost
04-10-2010, 12:53 PM
just a few humble suggestions, to make gameplay even more enjoyable/smooth.

Warning - wall of text!

1. Player level indicator - beside hero name on left corner, all ARPG/CRPG have this, why Din's dont? (only mousover says your hero level at the moment)

Not to be rude, but just because every one else has it, doesn't mean Din's needs it. I personally find the less stuff on-screen, the better. If I want to see my level, I press C. I think its a personal preference thing.

2. Enemy health bar/own health/mana/stamina bar numerical display - a big green/blue/yellow indicator is nice, but without numbers its not a big help. It says enemy HP only when mouseover, but hard to mousover when fight - numerical enemy HP display can help to decide, which mobs to kill, which one to backstab first, who to avoid, etc, etc. Maybe numerical display can be made optional via menu (as some players dont like it)

This goes back for me to preference, I like how you suggested it be optional via a menu, but I would never use it. Din's screens get cluttered enough during mob combat, and a bunch of numbers dancing around would be just plain silly in addition to the numbers popping up from my hits. *EDIT* On second thought, I think you mean numbers INSIDE the bars? I like that idea, but not something that is neccasary.

3. Target lock - enuff said, could be a big positive impact on gameplay (fighting with bosses, etc, to prevent miss-clicks) something like wow-have should work i guess

I need some elaboration on this one. Not sure what you mean by 'target-lock' Lets take my mage for instance. I clicked a spell at my enemy, and then, I start running away lobbing fireballs. It stays locked on to that enemy, unless I click something else. Or am I missing your point entirely?
4. Small hero avatar on character-page/maybe on inventory page: please, we likes to see our avatars, not just his/her back (something like on the character select at new game screen would be awesome) Also i've noticed, that all the armors/clothes have somewhat different graphics, so time to take advantage of this feature:)

This one is purely aesthetic. I really don't mind not seeing my dude, mainly because Mages don't have proper robes, and I look like every other villager in town. (Except for my silly cap.) However, this is a cool idea. Charector page would be better then Inv, because when you sell things its already half the darned screen. Not sure if this is doable, but I like it.

5. Cooldown (CD) indicator/better CD indicator - at the moment, potions/buff/debuff displayed under hero indicator, but no countdown (or just barely visible?) - maybe put small number/or circle overlay or something there - its nice to see how much minutes left from the poison debuff, without mouse-overing on the debuff:) Same goes for skills if they have CD.

Cool idea in theory, but.. not sure its doable. The icons are tiny as it is. You put a number countdown inside that icon, and you are going to have to 'mouseover' just to see what it is. Plus, as a mage, I commonly have 3-4 spell effects going at once, not to mention the other odd buffs. So, having a number next to it wouldn't work either. Its too small for the circle overlay that works with abilities in your hotbar. Nice idea, but I'm not sure how you would implement it in a non-intrusive way.
6. Reputation level indicator, above/below XP indicator (maybe make it optional) - such an important info, and its hidden on the character-page at the moment

7. Quest page - sort quest by dungeon level - so you can see, where to start, and where to go, ie. "i have quests, they range from dungeon lvl5 till lvl8, so lets start at lvl5, and go to lvl8 one by one). Atm quests sorted by... sorted by... i dont know... the order when they were picked up maybe?

I can't shed any light on this, but its a good idea. Quest sorting would be useful. Also, how about failed quests dissapearing from my quest tab? As opposed to me canceling them myself? Although, that could cause issues as well.

8. quest progress indicator on screen (optional maybe?) - "13/20 skulls picked up on lvl02" ... "0/1 bigmadaboss killed on lvl04" ... "0/1 evil altar destroyed on lvl08" etc, etc. Saves us time to open qlog all the time

I think the current system works well enough. I would like to see something implemented like you suggested, but it certainly wouldn't be towards the top of my wants.

Ok. Now for some of my suggestions. Ive played two multiplayer games. (The Din's crowd is quite small. Same guy hosting both times.) In both instances we had a 'snag' happen. The first was a town invasion that never ended. (I assume the enemy spawned wrong, or was invisible.) The second was a boss that either died, or never spawned, as we searched a 15 level dungeon seperately, hoping to find this guy.

Which leads to my first and only suggestion. Maybe have a different tileset after 5-10 levels? My eyes started to bleed after staring at that SAME floor for about 30 minutes.

Also, how about OUTDOOR dungeons? Maybe instead of a dungeon in town, have some towns use that 'gate' where the vendors spawn. Have outdoor areas, much like what DOP had? That would rule. I would enjoy that.

Not really sure if this is possible, but I would enjoy it immensly.

Now? Is any of this really neccasary? IMHO No. I like Din's has it is, and enjoy it regardless of any tweaks. Its a testament to good development that there is no, single thing that I NEED to play the game. Its just FUN right off the bat.

henryke
04-10-2010, 01:47 PM
>>>1. Player level indicator - Not to be rude, but just because every one else has it, doesn't mean Din's needs it. I personally find the less stuff on-screen, the better. If I want to see my level, I press C. I think its a personal preference thing.

c'mon, its just a 2 digit number beside the players name - not much of a space from the screen:) anyway, i agree - its a personal preference thing.

>>2. Enemy health bar/own health/mana/stamina bar numerical display - This >>goes back for me to preference, I like how you suggested it be optional >>via a menu, but I would never use it. Din's screens get cluttered enough >>during mob combat, and a bunch of numbers dancing around would be just >>plain silly in addition to the numbers popping up from my hits. *EDIT* On >>second thought, I think you mean numbers INSIDE the bars? I like that >>idea, but not something that is neccasary.

Yeah, i meant inside the HP/mana bar, thats the usual process (btw, i still wonder why it was not implemented to Din in the 1st place)

>>Target lock: I need some elaboration on this one. Not sure what you mean >>by 'target-lock' Lets take my mage for instance. I clicked a spell at my >>enemy, and then, I start running away lobbing fireballs. It stays locked on >>to that enemy, unless I click something else. Or am I missing your point >>entirely?

Think something like wow-does: right click to target somebody (its left click in wow, but right click in Din, doesnt make a diff. anyway), and after you have an active target, you need to click away to "de-select" him - this process can make big fights, and boss fights less chaotic, as you can concentrate your DPS for 1 mob, and prevent accidents like miss click, wrong target, trying to cast a fireball into a vase or a decoration, etc etc...

>>>CD indicator - Cool idea in theory, but.. not sure its doable. The icons are tiny as it is.

sorry, cant describe better, and lazy to make a conecept-screenshot (haha), the tiny icon goes "gray", or less saturated after use, and this "grey" area will be less and less by time, as the skill CD goes down. (i hope it makes sense, its hard to describe a graphical effect). Think like wow again.

>>Also, how about failed quests dissapearing from my quest tab?

excellent idea!

Magitek
04-10-2010, 10:02 PM
On target locking, I think it's best not to have something like this; In a boss battle or any difficult battle, part of the fun is not always being able to hit what you want.

Sometimes you might hit explosive barrels/support beams and this often leads to a rather amusing experience.

Having a target lock would make the game alot less chaotic, and for me; alot less fun. I mean, usually a tough boss drops within 15-20 seconds anyway..
It wouldn't bother me if it was optional, but I really like the diablo style combat in Dins.