PDA

View Full Version : @ Shadow: Could an Expansion to Din's be Economically Viable?

GeorgiaBoy
04-12-2010, 04:44 PM
As I play more of Din's, more content could be added from the two previous games which may satisify the folks who want an overland adventure, etc. I would hope this would keep costs down and make it profitable.

GB

interesting
04-12-2010, 11:50 PM
You feel like what you got from Din's Curse isnt enough and it lacks something?

udm
04-13-2010, 04:29 AM
If the engine is flexible enough to allow for large improvements, such as more detailed dungeons, I say why not.

Valgor
04-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Well, the engine was able to do it in Depths of Peril, so I don't think it couldn't be implemented into Din's Curse somehow... the question is :
Why would you need outside environments (besides towns) in a dungeon crawler game? I don't really see a reason.

What I'd like to see in a possible expansion are things like new character classes, new items (both regular and elite/artifact/legendary items), new dungeon tile sets and
maybe even some new monster types...

Not that I deem any of this necessary right now; there's still lots of things left to be discovered by me, at least that's how I feel about it.

udm
04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Outdoors can make the game more dynamic. Anyone played Nox? Now there's a massively underrated game with fantastic outdoor maps and cool dungeons.

I'd like to see more varied environments in DC eventually. As with DoP, DC's dungeons don't have height variations, and tilesets are still a bit linear. If the engine can be expanded to support more varied environments as with Diablo 3 or Torchlight, I say why not :)

Neophyte Coprolite
04-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I for one would love to see an expansion to outdoors adventure in DC. Great idea GeorgiaBoy.:)

------------
They that will not be counselled cannot be helped.

getter77
04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Technically, the "outside" areas wouldn't even have to be put forth as wilderness proper---nothing stopping the old "Hollow Earth" theory stuff from being a target in a fantasy ARPG like Din's.

I mean, so long as we are going down...

udm
04-14-2010, 10:50 AM
Dinultima's Cursunderworld is great too, as long as the trails don't feel repetitive :)

Jorlen
04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
I for one would love to see an expansion to outdoors adventure in DC. Great idea GeorgiaBoy.:)

That would be awesome, like the outdoor zones found in Depths of Peril.

I for one would just love more Din's Curse. That's not to say the original package isn't enough, but when is more of something so good, a bad thing? Never, of course.

So, I for one would definitely buy an expansion pack of sorts to add more content to this already great game. I wonder how many others would too?

graffen69
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
I wonder how many others would too?

Me. Definately!

Caal
04-26-2010, 07:34 PM
With additional content and with some of the other good ideas that have been posted in these forums - absolutely.

DeathKnight1728
04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I guess it's not a bad idea. Although it is a little early as the game just recently became officially the game. There's a few questions i have about it.

-If you could play out in say a desert, or a molten lava place with debris and other stuff (that'd be cool!), or forest; what would you do about the dungeons, or do you even have them?
-If you did have the dungeons then you'd have to either multitask and do both, or....just do the wilderness areas. But in my opinion, i think that would just be making the game something it is not.

Any other thoughts on this.

Jorlen
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
What do you think, Shadow?

Now that you've released DC, is it viable to think of expanding it for a cost (that most of us would gladly pay), or would you rather just work on an entirely new project?

Shadow
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Right now I am leaning towards doing an expansion next.

Valgor
04-27-2010, 08:07 PM
Excellent! Have my preorder.

DeathKnight1728
04-30-2010, 12:07 AM
Sweet....I can hardly wait.

udm
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Mine too!!!

graffen69
04-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Moi as well

stants
04-30-2010, 04:57 PM

yep im in!

DeathKnight1728
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
I've been thinking it over in my head since i started reading this thread and i came up with a few ideas for a class. None of them made sense as well as the idea for a monk class.

I figured out that it would have to be altered a little bit if it was going to be Din's Curse version of the monk, so these are just my ideas.

Here goes: These meticulous wanderers disdain the use of weapons, instead allowing their willpower, finesse, cunning, spirit and ironhard fists defeat anything that comes their way.

I figured the monk class would be split into 3 sub-classes as usual. The only difference is that unlike the rogue and fighter, the monk will have all 3 main classes as well incorporated into it (Fighter/Rogue/Mage). Here are the subclasses i came up with:

1) Martial Artist- This class will mostly be a hard-hitting offensive combat puncher. He will have skills that are like the offensive weaponmaster- a lot of attacks and masteries to enhance their fists and their body (haste). The attacks are all good at causing crushing blow and stunning blow...though more on crushing than stunning.

2) Nightfist- This class is the rogue type of the monk. Since monks in most games have a few stealth type attributes. They are called the night fist because of a skill they have. The skill is very powerful. It causes the enemies to be distracted if they are a certain lvl making them unable to see you (depending on the skill lvl). The first attack on the enemy gives a very minor stunning blow and attack boost. Other than that, this class is a defensive class with a few masteries, some of which make the monk more durable and give resistances. There are less real attacks on this monk, however they all are more apt to cause stunning blow.

3) Mystic- This is the mage type class for the monk. All of its attacks are about knocking your opponents away with spiritual energy. The class is alot like the druid and magician. It has a few attack spells, the rest are all mystic controlling spells. Ex: make enemies fight each other, confuse them, and even later...control them.

Thats it, I dont know if that would work...but i tried.

viper34j
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
@DeathKnight

I wonder how much of the Monk class is doable with the current modding tools?

DeathKnight1728
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
It doesnt even have to be all that. I just think that a monk done like that would bring a lot of fun to the already insanely fun game. Shadow and everyone that worked on the game can see that as a company, Soldak has come to be even better since i first played depths of peril a year and a half ago.

As for the class: Monks are extremely interesting characters with or without the d3 gauntlets. And i know that a monk would make the game a lot crazier with new possibilities. They should be able to make the class with the current technology. Then again, I am not as knowledgeable as others.

TheRani
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I'd love an expansion that added more classes. That'd be fantastic. I like the Monk idea.