PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER: End game

Roswitha
04-15-2010, 02:33 PM
When Din gave me a quest that said I would be redeemed if I completed it, I was kind of excited. The stated goal of the game is to redeem yourself, so I was looking forward to beating the game.

I completed the quest and reported in. Din said essentially, "Congratulations, you have redeemed yourself," and dropped a big gold chest. He stopped giving quests and now only says "Greetings, mortal" when spoken to. When I saved the town, it showed the standard ending, "You are one step closer to redemption."

Didn't I just do that?

With this being a living world, If I beat the game, shouldn't there be more of an effect than just getting Din to shut up? I would at least expect the Saved Town screen to register the fact. It would also be nice if it showed up in my Character screen somewhere so it's visible when I post my character.

Maybe when I finish the quest that redeems me, something like the Saved Town screen could pop up while Din says his speech. In addition to the chest of loot, maybe I could receive a permanent reward: extra stat/skill points, higher resistances, teleport stone reset, etc. (Ideas, anyone?) Maybe a title, like in Diablo II. The screen could tell me what the reward is. I could then go back and finish the town.

Since this is a personal thing between me and Din, I wouldn't expect the townspeople to say anything, but it would be nice if Din made some sort of comment when I talked to him. If I redeemed myself around Level 25, he could say "Well done." If I did it before that, he could say "That was quick." If I did it later, he could say, "I never thought you'd make it."

Here's another idea. What if, when I redeem myself, Din offers me a choice. We can part ways, I can continue playing, and Din won't say another word (pretty much how it is now). Or I can continue playing as Din's champion. In that case, Din would still give me quests (maybe even more than before), but he also gives me some help; things like faster mana/health regeneration, higher resistances, I receive half damage from certain monsters (or earthquakes), I do double damage to certain monsters, and so forth. (Ideas?)

If I get tired of playing as Din's champion, I can talk to Din and we can part ways, he shuts up, and I lose his help. But once I quit as champion, I can't go back.

I've tried to keep my suggestions in line with what is currently in the game, since I'm hoping for a patch. A game this good ought to have a satisfactory ending.

Comments?

DetlevH
04-16-2010, 03:23 AM
You try to compare DC with Diablo II or Torchlight.

That's ok, but you found a weak point in DC which was also in DoP.

There is no real story, there is no intro and no end, there are no videos between chapters of the games, there are no chapters at all.

I don't know why, i said it some months ago, i wish we would have such things in DC as well as in DoP, but there seem to be no way to realize that.

Maybe Shadow will consider it now.

Valgor
04-16-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm actually quite happy about Din's Curse not having a "story" going on.
Having to go through the same quests and bits of storyline over and over again upon the start of a new game would get quite boring (I'm not saying repetetive, since repetition is part of all ARPGs to some extent, isn't it? ;) ) after some time. In fact, a resolution of some kind after your character freed himself from Din's Curse wouldn't make much sense since you'd just keep on playing anyway... unless the game forced you to retire that character, which would be kind of stupid, right?

udm
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm fine with having no closure storyline too, but it'd be nice to have your status/standing with Din tie-in to the changes in the game world too. The statistics screen after completing a town is a nice touch in this regard.

IJBall
04-16-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fine with having no closure storyline too, but it'd be nice to have your status/standing with Din tie-in to the changes in the game world too. The statistics screen after completing a town is a nice touch in this regard.

I agree with Roswitha that it would also be nice if the 'save town' blurbs changed to reflect your change in status as well - Instead of "You are one step closer to redemption..." perhaps the 'save town' message could be changed to "You are really building your reputation now. Soon you will be a revered hero!", or something like that, after completing Din's final quest.

Roswitha
04-16-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm fine with having no storyline, but I would like a sense of closure. The game just sort of dribbles off into nowhere.

What I'm hoping for is a formal ceremony where Din announces that I have redeemed myself and have earned my freedom. He gives me a couple of gifts (stat points and such) as a reward for completing that. The gold chest is a nice touch, but the random factor means that what's in the chest is equivalent to what I could find in the dungeon, so it's not as meaningful.

I then get to choose how I will continue my career: as a blank-shield freelancer who fights for a living, or as a paid member of Din's guard (his help is my "pay"). In either case, I continue playing the game. The only change is in my status.

And I would certainly count earning my freedom as a "Fun Stat" that should be recorded.

----Edit ----

Now that I think about, if you're just after closure you don't even need to do the choice. Din could just do the ceremony and end with something like "Go and become a hero".

Shadow
04-18-2010, 11:05 AM
There are some good ideas in here.

Amberjoy
09-18-2010, 09:45 PM
I just got my 'Freedom' message and chest. I stepped away to sell some stuff and saw a question mark pop up over Din's head. I go "Whaa?" Go back and see what quest he has and discover I can now work to be a 'Champion' if I do xx quest. Hummm, think I will finish the town if I can to free it first.

Can you walk outside of the town and go somewhere else or is it only 'create' a new world screen stuff.

What if I die this time around? Does Din resurrect me? Or am I dead dead? :)

Roswitha
09-20-2010, 12:02 AM
I just got my 'Freedom' message and chest. I stepped away to sell some stuff and saw a question mark pop up over Din's head. I go "Whaa?" Go back and see what quest he has and discover I can now work to be a 'Champion' if I do xx quest. Hummm, think I will finish the town if I can to free it first.

Can you walk outside of the town and go somewhere else or is it only 'create' a new world screen stuff.

What if I die this time around? Does Din resurrect me? Or am I dead dead? :)

It's the same as before. The only difference is that when you create a new world, you should have the Champion difficulty available.

PixelLord
09-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I agree with Roswitha. There needs to be a better "ceremony" and reward when you get your freedom. I still think there should be something when you advance in reputation to Elite and Legendary as well.

Bak
09-20-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree with Roswitha. There needs to be a better "ceremony" and reward when you get your freedom. I still think there should be something when you advance in reputation to Elite and Legendary as well.

I would prefer not to get a message like "Din has betrayed you and gone renegade," like I get after many rescues. ;)