PDA

View Full Version : Exploiting "Friends" for Profit and Profit

Denubis
11-02-2007, 04:55 PM
As a note, especially with a diplomacy relic slotted, vendoring items through other covenants is in all ways desirable.

1) You can get above vendor price, on average. We're not talking much here, but if you dump all of your unwanted gear into a covenant's trade window, hit "how much do you propose" and then negotiate to find the highest price they'll pay, it'll end up around 5-10% above street.

2) For items that they actually want, your profit margins increase even further.

3) If you're playing a "be friendly with everyone game, and then stab them in the back when they fight amongst themselves (one of the more optimal strategies)" using other covenants as your mules makes them quite content with you, allowing you to not worry about defense spending

StealthBunny
01-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Covenants will almost ALWAYS buy shields, and at a good price. I tend to save them in my party stash for selling to covenants when I need cash fast.

I also tend to play long after the other convenants are gone, simply because I enjoy playing without the knock-knock distraction for awhile. During this time, I save all shields. Then I have a nice source of cash early in the next game, when I might need it the most.

RandomlyGeneratedName
01-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Here's another tip: Always renegotiate the covenent's offer price. You can always get 20% more than what they're offering. If they're offering you 10 silver, renegotiate for 12 silver and their message will still be green.

Delilah Rehm
01-14-2008, 09:54 AM
If you don't up the price, they'll like you more. It's a balance. So it depends if you want friendship or money more... or some of both. :)

StealthBunny
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
There's one covenant that respects you more for not accepting the first offer. I think it's Blood Brothers, but it might be Monster Slayers. (I have a really REALLY rotten memory). They always say something like "You're not as dumb as we thought." And they accept your counter offer and start calling you friend right from there.

I like them :)

Delve
01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
I've seen that before, but I never noticed the effect on the relation. I generally ignore the numbers that pop up, as I can't really make sense of why sometimes they seem to like me whole orders of magnitude better than others. As a general rule if I'm looking to make friends I give stuff away, and if I'm in a hurry or just bored of typing numbers I take the first offer. Otherwise I haggle to the best 10 or 25 cp and leave it at that.

StealthBunny
01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
What has consistantly amazed me throughout playing this game is how much... personality the covenants have and how they respond to your own reactions.

Example: The Sisterhood and Kindred had been battling for HOURS over a span of an evening and a day. They were each even, so it was like watching two battering rams raiding and warring back and forth. Their lifestones were at the same level no matter what happened. I tried to kick in and beat on the Kindred for a while, just because they were being nasty towards me every chance they got, but my lifestone health was pretty pathetic, too. I kept funding the Sisterhood, giving them weapons for free and crystals to buy new guards.

The Alliance, however, was sitting back at full health. Now, they liked me too (had an alliance with both them and the Sisterhood), and I had been trying to get them to raid the Kindred with us. Even though the Kindred was at war with the Alliance, too, for some stupid reason, the Alliance really liked the Kindred and just wouldn't do it.

And I was getting really sick of the whole situation.

So I finally gave the Alliance every crystal I had and bankrupted my influence. I mean, I went NEGATIVE (which I didn't even know you could do!). And the Alliance went WHEEE! and crushed the Kindred.

And there I was, with negative influence. The Alliance on top. Then the Sisterhood. And four blank spaces on the graph. Then me. And my power bar was on the OTHER side.

And suddenly, the Sisterhood and the Alliance are showering me with crystals. And I asked the Sisterhood for influence, and they gave it to me. 10,000. And the Alliance gave me over a million.

And I went AWWWWWWW.

Then remembered I was playing with a computer and not real people.

Damn. That's real good programming.

Delve
01-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Emergent behavior is a beautiful thing. :)

Personally, I'm always gratified when my allies and protectorates start making donations to the cause. I know, it's bribery, but I can't help being pleased. :)

I expect this really stems from an effort on the computer's part to maintain a certain level of relationship with its allies, and I'm just a greedy bum that doesn't bother maintaining that relationship myself. ;)

Zengrath
11-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Wow Stealth Bunny that is an amazing story!!!

I just picked up this game this weekend. it is a bit of a learning curve but I'm beginning to become addicted :D. But that story just lightened up my day.