PDA

View Full Version : about progression

Maledictus
04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
As much as I'm enjoying the game (mechanics of) DC, there's something that I feel is absent. I know that dungeon crawlers are not known for their coherent story telling but I feel that DoP managed to circumvent that problem nicely by giving us a feel of progression and coherence through various statistics. In a way progression could be checked by looking at the factions and the win/loss progress graphs, and this in turn adds to the immersion: there was a clearly defined goal and your progress towards it could be checked. That is what I think is missing in DC. I created a tiny mod that puts the reputation bar on the main playing screen, this adds to the immersion because it allows me to see the effect of winning/losing in general; it helps me check my goals. But it's not enough. I'd like to know how far towards redemption I am, and even something as simple as a bar or stat somewhere would help. It would also help to tie the towns together a bit, give the player a more substantial reason to go on to the next town. Elsewhere suggestions towards this end (more immersion by linking the towns) have been made but I suppose it's not realistic to expect something like an overworld map that links towns together. And it's not necessary I guess. DoP gave us stats and graphs to check our progress, surely something of that nature is possible in DC. For instance, if I knew what the redemption trigger is (a value, a threshold?), would that allow me to display that value as a bar or stat somewhere on the main screen, by creating a mod?
Just some thoughts, please comment.

Shadow
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
A progress bar for your overall progress to freedom would make a lot of sense.

Jorlen
04-20-2010, 12:38 PM
A progress bar for your overall progress to freedom would make a lot of sense.

Agreed, that would be awesome!

Valgor
04-21-2010, 08:46 AM
On a related note, the stats screen should display the title(s) a character has earned, such as Champion of Din and the like... or maybe just change the color of the character's name respectively (green for Champion, yellow for Elite etc.).