PDA

View Full Version : [Help] Modding frequency of monsters

jakobrogert
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi there!

I'm enjoying Din's Curse (and especially the generous LAN-license - thank you!) but I'm a rogue-like player since way back and seeing the modability of the game, I thought I'd give it a go to make the game play more like a roguelike, by making combat much deadlier (which the increased difficulty mod does and gives a good example of, scriptwise) and making the items more scarce.

The target experience I'm going for is one where (almost) each encounter is exciting and where combat can't be solved by running around carelessly chain-lightning everything to death. Additionally, I want the finding of good items to be a rewarding experience (this, the Rare-item mod does).

However I don't know which numbers to tweak in order to affect monster spawn frequency. As it stands right now, a level is populated with a ton of monsters. I'd like to modify this in order to have less monsters spawn, but make them much deadlier. (As I interpret the current situation, I feel the monsters only win by attrition.) (And just increasing the monster levels doesn't do it, since higher level monsters generally also mean just more hit points and armor, in turn less deadly combat. I'm going for a kind of deadliness present in Dawn of War 2's Last Stand or Nethack if that is any indication. Being surrounded with no means of escape will mean certain death.)
Can someone point me to the file and function/class where monster spawn chances/rates are defined (and preferably - what those eventual numbers mean)? Also, does tweaking those numbers affect uprisings or similar population-modifying events?

Now I found the world file and it's "MonsterChance" + "MonsterNightChance" - are those what I am looking for?

Shadow
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
In world.gdb, go down to the BaseAreaDungeon entry. There are a bunch of parms you can play with.

MonsterChancePerBlock - the chance that any monsters spawn in each valid block
MinMonstersPerBlock - if spawned, min monsters in that block
MaxMonstersPerBlock - if spawned, min monsters in that block

MonsterChance... and MonsterNightChance... - these control the monster rarity of each spawned monster. It basically keeps trying the higher rarity until it fails.

If you want to make monsters deadlier, increase the rarities chances or go into Monsters\BaseMonsters.gdb and start changing values in there.

Chex Warrior
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
I wish you luck jakobrogert, your mod sounds exactly what I'm looking for.

jakobrogert
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Thank you Chex and Shadow!
Fact is, I tried playing hardcore mode last night coupled with "Slow Pace". And it might just be the low level dungeons - but I found that mode to seem to spawn a lot less monsters... again I might be wrong, but the slower pace perhaps affects spawned monsters as well.

Shadow
04-22-2010, 05:07 PM
Fact is, I tried playing hardcore mode last night coupled with "Slow Pace". And it might just be the low level dungeons - but I found that mode to seem to spawn a lot less monsters... again I might be wrong, but the slower pace perhaps affects spawned monsters as well.

With slow pace you will get less monsters because in general there won't be as many unique monsters, bosses, uprisings, and other things spawning extra monsters.

jakobrogert
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Ok. I am making progress. Game is now a lot tougher. Now, to balance things up for the players, I'd like to know where I can find and modify the regen rate per vitality point. Regen is mentioned in a lot of places and there seems to be a difference between combat and non-combat regen? Thanks for your help so far!

Shadow
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
For regen, you want to go into classes.gdb, find ClassPlayerBase, and modify HealthRegenPerVit. Most other player related stuff is right in that area also. Combat vs non-combat difference is controlled by CombatPowerRegenMultiplier but that is only mana.

jakobrogert
04-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Thank you again. I found that out, but thought from pure guesswork there was a health counterpart to CombatPowerRegenMultiplier.
Is death hardcoded or can it be modified via script? I'm looking to implement a function similar to that in Left 4 Dead where death results in an unconscious state from which you can be rescued by a friend (but via GUI can elect to forfeit - if for example playing alone).

Shadow
04-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you again. I found that out, but thought from pure guesswork there was a health counterpart to CombatPowerRegenMultiplier.
Is death hardcoded or can it be modified via script? I'm looking to implement a function similar to that in Left 4 Dead where death results in an unconscious state from which you can be rescued by a friend (but via GUI can elect to forfeit - if for example playing alone).

No, only mana regens slows in combat. Right now I don't think you can do much with death like that.