PDA

View Full Version : What would you most want to see in a Drox Expansion?

PixelLord
12-28-2012, 03:46 PM
We want to hear from you! What new things and/or improvements would you like to see in a Drox Operative Expansion.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and comments! :)

Roswitha
12-28-2012, 08:21 PM
How about the ability to purchase an equivalent ship from a different race. Would it change the race-specific options?

adrianadrian
12-29-2012, 04:08 AM
i'd honestly like to see the ability to target and destroy mines. the amount of mines in a star system can get ridiculous under certain circumstances.

additionally, i'd like to see mines affect the other races and/or monsters depending on alliances. it's quite immersion breaking when you realize they only affect you. the same applies for the wormholes scattered about a star system. seeing npcs using these intentionally or accidentally would be pretty cool.

finally, maybe an option for free aiming would be cool? still only damaging hostile targets like the current system - unless there already is free aiming and I have been missing out?

amazing game. keep up the good work.

Valgor
12-29-2012, 08:33 AM
There's quite a few things I'd like to see in a possible Drox Expansion :

1. Custom races! See my suggestion from the beta here : http://soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20228

2. New diplomatic options! (Trade routes for boosting a race's economy without having to donate money, being able to call for military assistance from a friendly race,
being able to solve quests in secrecy for a chance to avoid a drop in relations, etc.)

3. Orbital structures! Each colonized planet would have these, and attacking or destroying them would directly influence what the planet does,
i.e. destroying the shipyard would prevent the planet from building new ships for defense until they construct a new one.
There could be stationary defenses as well, like missile batteries or actual planetary shield generators.

4. A new race of monter ships!

5. New varieties of space phenomena! Asteroid fields, comets (not just the ones that are headed towards a specific planet), cosmic bands (essentially space currents), etc.

6. ...and of course lots of new component types and modifiers!

Affixiation
12-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Skill trees for each stat.
Say every 20 points you put in a stat you get one talent point for that stat's talent tree.

For example, say we get a talent point in tactical, the talent tree could be set up to cater to each weapon type in separate sub trees. An early talent would be like, beams/missiles/kinetic weapons fire a small bit faster, use less energy per shot and high end talents could be to give kinetic weapons tracking, missiles some small aoe damage and beams to cause a DoT.

Helm talents could improve max speed, or increase base defenses. Engineering could improve shields and such. So on and so forth for the other skills.
Thats just off of my head.

Roswitha
12-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Some suggestions that have been posted in the forums are:

A way to link weapons so they fire at once.

A way to sell cargo without leaving the battle field. e.g. pets, freighters.

Desticato
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM
1) Cryo-storage containers that can be used in place of cargo holds for storing crewmembers in our shared stash. I don't think this could really be abused as it will take up precious space and would have to be approached strategically by the player. I'm constantly spacing or selling crew in singleplayer and would like to deflect the guilt of 'killing' them or the silliness of 'selling' them by storing them instead. The ones that have potential, at least.

2) A way to pause the action in multiplayer. My friends and I play via LAN often, and the most common complaint, even on the slowest game speed, is that things are constantly moving too fast for use to evaluate our own gear, much less trade intelligently with one another. I've often thought that the pocket dimensions or areas outside radar range could effectively stop everything that's going on in the background and allow players some downtime to equip improved gear and trade what they don't need. Perhaps a new kind of time-warp anomaly could be implemented that everyone would have to enter that prevents the universe from being processed until someone exits. I am open to other suggestions, but this is a feature that has been sorely needed for multiplayer since Din's Curse.

3) Improvements to the audio engine to prevent sound-stacking (like war declaration alerts) from becoming geometrically louder as one plays over the top of another. This has been an issue since DoP and prevents me from playing with headphones on, though it's still jarring when using speakers. I know that this is technically not a gameplay related request, but I'd still love to see it implemented.

If I think of anything else, I'll edit this post. Thanks for soliciting requests!

droxop55
12-29-2012, 05:55 PM
I second all of the suggestions above, and raise you a few more ideas:

If you have ever played Guild Wars 2, you may know about the Mystic Forge. I'd like a Galaxy Forge added (somewhere in the galaxy) that works similarly, where you throw in 2 or more components, and get one random component with random stats out. Basically something other to do with components beside sell them, maybe I want to gamble away components to try and get better ones. :)

A way to "enchant" or upgrade components with more stats/better stats, perhaps with some sort of new item type specifically for upgrading components, or from a wandering scientist, or at a planet. Again, something else to do with components. The new items could literally say Power Upgrade that can be used on another component to upgrade its Power Output, or even lower its power requirement. Enhancements to components would be a very nice upgrade.

I agree that skills, specifically something that can be moved to and activated via the hot bar/right click should be added, which are not components. Not quite a skill tree, but a grid of 20 or so skills that you can pick from and upgrade with money. No skill should be a prerequisite to each other, as I believe any race should have access to the full skill grid. Using money to upgrade a skill gives more value to credits, and lack of prerequisites mean you can mix and match at will.

A way to warp to your friends in a multiplayer game without having to use a jump gate. And I realize that as you read that, you will say to just use the jump gates. I say that being able to get to your friends is very important in a multiplayer game, even if there is a similar system already in place for travel. Maybe a new instant use item, or new warp component.

New instant use items, such as a bonus radar to see monsters for 30 seconds, minor damage boosts, minor resistance boosts, etc.

New components dedicated to AOE buffs, much like the paladin from diablo 2 or the monk from diablo 3. Components that grant AOE buffs to your allies such as shield, plate, energy, structure regen, damage and speed buffs, effectively any personal buff also added as a component that is an AOE buff.

New components dedicated to healing a single target, yourself or your allies that you target. Not quite the same as the AOE buffs, these would be single target support components. Dedicated healer or buffer in your party?

random_rolle
12-30-2012, 08:56 AM
An upgrade for artifact or legendary gear, where you upgrade the base item and keep the bonuses basically. So that artifact and legendary items means something even if found early. Maybe some expensive or quest related to upgrade an artifact/legendary to match your current level or such.

h4r
12-31-2012, 12:53 PM
The following would be awsome additions :

A Movable/resizable minimap this is a must

1 Extended zoom closer and farther i want to see the whole sector my ships currently in.
2 More sounds ( weapons/engines/missiles etc)
3 More ships for players and ai
4 If possible higher resolution background/s
5 Ability to fire/activate more weapons with 1 hotkey or to fire them linked/chained with 1 key...
6 More victory conditions what if i want to pound on all currently 6 major races ( max ingame races at any one time in a game not counting the ai and/or the 2 subraces or the other monster ones? )
7 Ability to modify currently existing ship models ( player side only ) within the game for example evochrons series ingame shipyard says it all.
8 Last but not the least BIGGER sectors i really dislike all sectors having rounded shapes and/or allow players to modify/select their shape at sector generation

jeeplaw
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
We want to hear from you! What new things and/or improvements would you like to see in a Drox Operative Expansion.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and comments! :)

I'd love the ability to have "discovering" a planet really do something in regards to your status or a new ability found out, or the ability as a drox operative to have some semblence of building out your OWN 4x planet empire..wishful thinking ;)

droxop55
01-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Do I get to add other suggestions? :)

I am going to recommend some sort of prestige levels beyond level 100, or perhaps the 'reincarnate' like feature in the Disgaea series. In Disgaea (all versions) you could reincarnate one of your characters into the same class, or a different class, but the base starting statistics would be higher on the next reincarnate. You could, in essence, reincarnate a character over and over until it hit max stats (which max stats were impossible to achieve without many reincarnates). Of course, your sector would still have to be difficult to keep the balance. :)

Alternately, If not base stats upon a resurrect, maybe being able to keep one race specific component that can carry over into your next ship. Being able to do that over and over would add more race specific components, perhaps 'prestige' components, or the prestige components could be a component slot of a type of your choosing, but it would have to be a specific type, such as a thruster type, or battery, or power plant. It would be very cool to be able to have a ship that you have hand made in that way.

Id probably say additional base stats, AND a prestige component slot would be my suggestion.

Secondly:

A level sync type feature for multiplayer games allowing higher level ships joining a lower level game to 'sync' to the lowest level ship. The higher level ship gains normal xp (your lower sync level vs the monster) toward its current level, but loot would be near your real ship level. It is a feature that Guild Wars 2 has, and Final Fantasy 11.

droxop55
01-01-2013, 09:37 PM
Adding a Gamble feature at planets, offering unidentified components for high prices (similar to diablo 2 gamble vendor) would be a great credit sink.

Valgor
01-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Regarding a gambling feature, I like the "toss two crappy components and receive a (possibly) better component in return" idea that was suggested earlier.

It could work like this : The player has two uncommon tweaked components of the same type (say, two heavy lasers mk.II) they don't want/need and sell them off to the "gambler" vendor.
In return, they receive a rare heavy laser mk.III; either carrying the best tweaks from the lasers they sold off ("combine"), or a new set of random tweaks ("rebuild").

Bluddy
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
This is a list of stuff that can be done in the expansion as well as things I'd like to see in the base game.

- Split the currency up. This worked really well for DoP and I think it'll be good here (and was suggested elsewhere). Have one kind of currency (A) for operations on planets and for bribing races, and another (B) as your personal fortune that you can use to buy stuff with. You could only get (A) from the Drox high command, and the amount you get depends on how well you did in the previous sector. This makes things like spending on propaganda worthwhile, and you need to figure out how to best use the limited resources you have (or make more of them) in the sector. Otherwise, why invest in propaganda when you always have the option of not spending your money, or of just starting a new sector?

- Make planets more interesting. Some produce ships, some produce food, some produce industry etc. (They'd all produce a little of those things for local consumption, but only a few can export them). As a race, if most planets are hostile, you need food producing planets to expand your population. Wars would then be largely about precious resources in the sector and every planet would feel very different (and important).

- Remove the store at every planet. It makes the random loot drop meaningless, because you have much more random loot produced at different planets where you can actually choose between 20 random items. Only a few, particularly rich planets should sell stuff. Also, only a few, really hospitable planets would generate tourism income.

- Only a few key planets should repair your ship. It removes the repetition of moving to tackle monsters, then going to a nearby planet to repair. It's as if every level in DC had an armorsmith. Only specific planets should have repair facilities, and those should be planets you really want to protect. Again, make us want to remember specific planets so they're not just names.

- The main thing that bothers me about Drox is that it doesn't feel like space. There are too many monsters everywhere -- something that belongs in a dungeon but not in space, which is supposed to be mostly empty. I think there needs to be a narrative device to explain the presence of monsters. As one idea, pirates and monsters could be attracted to the things produced by civilizations (money, food, yummy people). This would mean that most empty sectors should be just that -- empty space with a few (very few) monsters here and there. They would really give the feeling of being 'in space'. Then, when you approach civilized areas, the monster density would go up to current levels. It also means that in the beginning, when races are just establishing their home worlds, there are fewer monsters to destroy them, which balances out. As they become bigger, more monsters appear to take their loot -- sort of like barbarians at the gates.

- Some dialog appearing on-screen when pirates attack you. In space (unlike fantasy dungeons), you face off against mostly intelligent critters capable of conversation. Not hearing these nameless hordes say anything hurts immersion. Things like hearing "Die Drox scum!!!" would really help increase the feeling of being in space. You could even have a brief text conversation with a pirate before he attacks you.

- There are some items that are always extremely effective, and you can essentially use them for the whole game once you find them. Items that give you boosts in the 100s of percentages (such as cloak, or critical boost) should be balanced either by giving you a huge weakness, by being un-fixable, or by being limited to working for only 10 levels or so.

- AOE weapons still need to be balanced. Bombs, for example, still seem really strong -- especially when combined with the cloak and critical hit bonuses. Perhaps explosive damage should not get any bonus from items.

- As your ship grows, its model gets bigger and bigger, eventually taking up a sizable chunk of your view. I'd like to have the option to zoom out further when my ship gets that big, but I currently don't have that option without adjusting user variables.

Bluddy
01-02-2013, 01:30 PM
- Another thing I would like to see improve is the way planets are handled in general. I have a big issue with the way that shooting laser at a planet reduces its population/health. This kind of abstraction makes it really hard to take this part of the game seriously: a few lasers, some bombs and a whole planet is gone? My suggestion would be something along these lines:

- Each planet has certain 'components' ie facilities: shipyard, farm, protective housing, store, factory, research labs. The bigger the colony, the more components they can have. Some components would only be possible on certain planets. Other components, like 'protective dome' would be necessary on hazardous planets. A rich planet may upgrade 'farm' to 'super farm' or something. These things take investment to build -- ie. something the races can build other than just ships. We don't need to see these things though -- a sprite + a textual description is all that's necessary.

- When you attack a planet, you can't reduce its population directly (unless you're using some forbidden weapon like gray goo). All you can do is damage a 'component', if you're lucky. A laser blast has a very small chance of hitting anything. If it does hit a component though, it'll damage it. A bomb has a bigger chance of damaging something. You could have a whole bunch of new weapons whose main objective is damaging planet facilities.

- If you destroy a factory, that takes time to rebuild. In the meantime, the population won't have jobs and might rebel, and the planet's output capacity is nullified. Destroy the farms, and the population could starve, relying on outside shipments of food. Blockade the planet, and food won't arrive in time to feed the population, which will decrease until it's gone. This obviously gives sabotage a much more interesting role, since it can accomplish the goal of attacking a planet without the need to actually attack.

- This also means you don't need planets to endlessly produce ships -- planets aren't so vulnerable, and anyway once their shipyard/factories are down, it'll be impossible for them to produce more ships. The race can try to send in ships from other colonies, though.

- There's an opportunity here to use the fact that some ships are organic monsters -- they'll actually swoop into the planet and devour a certain number of people, terrorizing the populace in the process. Pirate monsters, however, would only be able to blast planet facilities, like every other ship.

bailey4500
01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
1. More random weirdness and an expansion of the 4x idea. I want to be able to write really cool meta-game stuff about the crazy stuff that happened.
2. Multiple weapons bound to 1 key.
3. More races+weapons. Make the races a bit more unique from each other.
4. An outside threat that pulls everyone together or something cool along those lines.
5. Random shaped sectors.
6. In-game pause while still being able to check stuff like inventory/relations.
7. Space stations, asteroid belts, stars blowing up, comets,.....more stuff.
8. A better way to relay important information to the operative.
9. More ways to mess with the races.
10. Ship customization (visually).

adrianadrian
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
It would also be cool to have freelancers operating in each sector that function in a similar way to the drox operative (e.g. solving quests, declaring war, making peace, etc) but without the might of the guild behind them (no respawn).

And maybe a working, changing economy for trading commodities, adding another element to race relations and locations.

ztrauq
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
I would second a lot of what has been posted. Certainly more content would always be good - more races, ships, weapons/items, monsters, space events, anomaly and scanning effects/results, etc. I would also like to especially second the ability to target and destroy space mines.

Another thing I would like to suggest is the ability to purchase another item-specific slot, with a varying cost depending on what the item slot was for. There are only four currently listed in the race-specific equipment section, so you could squeeze one more in there.

You could also implement something where you could permanently sacrifice one of your cargo bay slots for another general slot (priced differently for a light/medium/heavy slot).

A few things on my personal wish list: every ship upgrade absolutely must give you a slot of some sort in additional to any other bonuses or drawbacks, especially given how the upgrades increase significantly in point cost with each subsequent one. I’d also suggest that the rate of energy regen per engineering point be buffed somewhat, so you can actually field a good selection of weapons and fire them for more than a few seconds without filling almost all your light slots with battery rechargers...

Someone earlier suggested having some additional win conditions. Here are a few ideas that I thought of:

-Exploration Win: Completely explore the entire sector, locating all planets, space gates, starlanes, wormholes, and scanning all storage pods/space junk and anomalies.
-Commerce Win: Solve a large number of goods-transport quests, and also buy/sell a certain number of items to at least 50% of the races in the sector.
-Super Secret Win: Find all of the secrets in the entire sector. Doing this opens up a new dimensional pocket in a random location containing a ridiculously huge secret boss, and defeating it wins the sector.

Also, a note on Bluddy’s suggestions: as far as the limitations on trading and repairing, if those were to be added, I would suggest adding them on as an optional condition on the sector screen like unlucky, etc., rather than implementing them unilaterally throughout the game. Making those sorts of limitations an option can keep the game appealing to both casual and hardcore players.

I would also suggest keeping the general separation between the civilizations in the center of a star system and the monster swarms mostly on the fringes due to performance reasons. For me, the game already starts slowing down in some of the large swarms - trying to have it render that on top of a full racial fleet, with everything firing at once, would bring the program to a crawl on anything but the most current and powerful systems.

ScrObot
01-03-2013, 04:28 AM
I'd like to see more random events that would really stand out, things that are different than what you see after you've played for 10+ hours. Some of these should probably not happen until you have a ship of a certain level or something. Off the top of my head:

1. There could be a distinct multiple-wave monster attack near an inhabited planet that you would get a quest and timer for, and when the timer is up, the attack would begin. Perhaps a temporary AI-only black hole would appear that they warp in from.

2. Letting monsters run amok in a system could cause the system's star to supernova, messing with that system in a bad way (or different bad ways).

3. Similar to the above, there could be "toxic" type systems that races won't colonize and do slow damage over time while traveling through them, but you still have to deal with it to get to other systems and/or complete quests.

4. I still like the idea of huge boss ships, possibly even multiple-screen big, that were in their own (smaller?) system, where you would have to fight off its minions and destroy its vital parts and/or turrets, etc. Perhaps a special warp gate would appear specifically for this.

5. I agree that ship customization would be great, though I'm not sure the best way to go about it given the current implementation. The idea of being able to sacrifice slots for a higher top speed or better turning radius or something is interesting.

6. How about something that is really cool, but has an equally uncool side effect, such as resetting all your map data? It should be something you can choose (e.g. a special NPC that you could buy a crazy component from that does something unique, but it has to "upgrade your system", erasing the map data).

7. How about some sort of damage over time or speed penalty (not applicable to monsters) or something to discourage kiting enemies out of the mapped system area?

8. I think it'd also be cool to be able to randomly (somewhat rarely) damage a specific part of an enemy ship (and have the corresponding visuals); take out an engine, which reduces their speed, or disable a weapon. I think it'd be cool if every now and then I shot an enemy (maybe only non-common level enemies) and his engine started smoking like crazy and his speed halved, etc. This isn't meant to replace weapons which cause specific status effects, just something cool that happens every once in a while.

9. Perhaps the introduction of some specific skills, possibly race-specific, that could be upgraded. Nothing overkill, and maybe they have a long cooldown, and maybe you can only have one. Some quick ideas:
- a skill that increases your speed and cloaks you for 15 seconds (with like a 5-10 minute cooldown).
- one that lets you drop an ememy-attracting turret that shoots or counts down to an explosion.
- one that lets you drop two devices, and when the second one is dropped a beam connects them and applies status effects to ships that fly through it (could be different skills or upgrades for the status effect).
- some could be non-combat oriented, such as firing a device onto a colony ship that gives you some sort of bonus when it colonizes a planet, or one that allows you to tag a planet for a temporary production boost (though that's a little more nebulous as it's not quite as apparent what's going on there), etc.
(There really is no reason these couldn't just be new component types, but differentiating the races more and giving you more customization options I think is a good idea.)

10. An allied race could give you a message that they will attack enemy planet X and give you a timer, then you could join them. This would be different as they would be massing in an adjacent system and then go through all at once. (This happened in Space Rangers 2 and was cool.)

droxop55
01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I come from the Spaceward Ho! age, where winning the galaxy in that game allowed you to name a planet.

Could we name a planet (and it show up in the next sector generation(s) ) upon a win? :)

phyvo
01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I just have a few thoughts here as someone whose played to level 30. I'm not so much concerned with adding oodles of content as I am with polishing current aspects of the game.

- Large sectors currently are annoying. Just finding every exit to a system and the jump gate takes a long time, in large sectors this quickly becomes a problem as you try to simply get from one race to another. In a military win there's always that last race holding out in 1 or 2 planets that you just can't find while your own race derps around elsewhere. Races you're allied with, moreover, can have scores of systems you know nothing about (except whatever appears in the quest log) even though supposedly you're allied. Simply revealing quest destinations on the map isn't enough because often you still have no idea what systems connect to what and sometimes things can be very unintuitive and criss-cross or connect across large distances.

- Some stats like regeneration and radar are not useful. You can never get enough regen to warrant dedicating entire slots to it since consumables are too good and planets/stations are so accessible. Radar is completely useless as it stands and only serves to rob you of stats that actually help you kill things or prevent your death.

i'd honestly like to see the ability to target and destroy mines. the amount of mines in a star system can get ridiculous under certain circumstances.

I hate trap systems for this reason. Mines floating towards you while you're trying to refuel and such are also really obnoxious. The number of wormholes teleporting you random places can also be a pain sometimes.

Some suggestions that have been posted in the forums are:

A way to link weapons so they fire at once.

Very much yes. If I have 2 or more of the same kind of weapon there basically aren't any situations where I wouldn't want them all to fire at the same time. Lasers are the worst by far and are trying to break my 1 key with ships flying in and out of range all the time.``````

This is a list of stuff that can be done in the expansion as well as things I'd like to see in the base game.

- Split the currency up. This worked really well for DoP and I think it'll be good here (and was suggested elsewhere). Have one kind of currency (A) for operations on planets and for bribing races, and another (B) as your personal fortune that you can use to buy stuff with. You could only get (A) from the Drox high command, and the amount you get depends on how well you did in the previous sector. This makes things like spending on propaganda worthwhile, and you need to figure out how to best use the limited resources you have (or make more of them) in the sector. Otherwise, why invest in propaganda when you always have the option of not spending your money, or of just starting a new sector?

Honestly basically all the planet options right now feel entirely useless. In terms of rumors I once spent 90,000 credits trying to get one race added into my 2 race alliance, doing every race relations mission available. They just refused to do it and were hell-bent on allying with the other doomed race (who I had rumored against) that I had also given up on diplomatically. Then randomly later one of my allies declares war on my other ally because the other ally had dropped their opinion of them for no apparent reason, which I couldn't see because the line still showed a green relationship. All this makes race relations feel very random rather than influenced by your rumors.

As for the other options, if you don't like a particular race it's much easier to just walk over and kill them than muddle around creating unrest with propaganda or whatever, especially in larger systems. Stealing tech just feels utterly worthless.

That said they should definitely separate currencies, though I think the planet influence currency should be received for doing quests rather than locking the player out of a playstyle for the sake of punishing their poor performance.

CautiousChaos
01-04-2013, 12:53 AM
So many ideas already given... For me, I just want to have a clear purpose for what I'm doing. Master of Orion 2 was a great big sandbox, but there were guardrails in place to help build purpose.

Drox to me comes across as boiling down the ingredients in Depths and Din's and extruding them through a space theme. Round sectors, space monsters that look like planes, fetch me a pepper quests.

I'm still chipping away at it, but i can't see how Drox can appear to more than just we hardcore nuts.

droxop55
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm still chipping away at it, but i can't see how Drox can appear to more than just we hardcore nuts.

I think the activity in the Drox forums speaks for this answer. It looks like it is already appealing to new people.

droxop55
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Would it be possible to add a 'Sort' and/or 'Filter' button to the list of quests given by a race in the relations interface. When I go to the quests screen, most of the time I am looking for either:

The quests that give the most XP
The quests that give the most Credits
Quests that give any Fear points (ie filter out anything that gives no fear)
Quests that give any Legendary points (ie filter out anything that gives no legend)

From there I might pick up the top two XP quests, or top 3 fear.. etc.

Sometimes the quest list is ridiculously long (its a good thing, dont change that), but it would be nice to be able to only show which type I am looking for at the moment.

droxop55
01-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Because of playing Drox, I bought Din's Curse and Demon War. I can see the similarities in the games as well as the engine used.

There are some things in Din's Curse that could easily carry over into Drox. Here are some immediate recommendations:

Gambler - I do see that this vendor is in the game and does exactly what I had described earlier with purchasing unidentified items. This function can easily be brought over into the Drox universe in some way, perhaps from planets. I do like the 'Galactic Forge' idea combining multiple components into one random one. Perhaps they could co-exist in the game somehow. :)

Purchasing temporary enchantments - One of the traveling vendors allows you to purchase (what looks to be) 5 minute, 10 minute, 15 and 30 minute buffs that do a variety of things (+mana, +health, +regen, +STR, etc). This seems like a perfect fit into Drox as well, purchasing temporary ship buffs that fall in a similar line, perhaps from planets. Purchasing a buff would apply the buff immediately to you, it would not be an item that goes into your inventory to use later.

Vendors that sell specific item types - Some of the vendors sell only a specific item type (say, two handed weapons). I see this also being a perfect fit into the Drox universe, where certain planets specialize in one, or possibly two, categories of components. These planets would, potentially, sell stronger-than-the-average components of the type the planet sells.

Planets that sell only 'commodities' - Not from Din, and commodities is not the correct term here, but essentially a planet that only sells those items that planets desire for quests, such as a crate of non-lethal weapons. A planet like this could be very valuable, as you could pick up a bunch of items and quickly make some cash by selling them to the correct planet, and solving the quest.

Id say the above would assist with varying up the planet types in the game. It would break up the idea that each planet is, currently, the same regarding its function (they are basically all the same). Balance would be needed of course, meaning the sector shouldnt have an over population of one planet type (100% plate armor selling planets for the win!), and not all planet types would be in the game at one time either. The sector simply may not have a 'Laser specialized planet', for example.

Alternately, perhaps, through some sort of planetary influence, you can augment a planet to sell a specific category type through some sort of new function, maybe a 'commercialize' button. Influence in this way to change the solar system may very well be more Drox like, instead of the galaxy coming pre-conditioned with what planet types there will be. It would mean that your involvement in the game leaves even more lasting effects on the sector, making it possibly even more rogue like.

spacehog
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Lots of neat ideas coming out of this thread. I ultimately vote for something that could also carry over to past/future games.

This might not be what you're looking for in an expansion, but here it is nonetheless:

It would be cool if there was some sort of persistent 'lobby' sector for multiplayer. Instead of searching for servers, each player who connects to multiplayer initially starts out in this lobby sector (the Drox Operative Headquarters?) complete with vendors, the ability to trade items with other players, etc. From this sector, players can form a party and then generate a new world where they can adventure together just like standard multiplayer gameplay. (For Din's Curse / Demon War this lobby could be a persistent town with vendors, p2p trading, etc.) Basically it's a way for players to interact with each other (with or without generating worlds) even if they are at different levels. If they are similar levels, they can generate a world and leave the lobby to play on their own server.

Multiplayer servers that are already in motion should be accessible from the lobby, too. There could be some sort of Drox Operative Jumpgate that lets players warp into preexisting multiplayer games.

Player connects to lobby -> trades a few items -> finds another player, starts a party, generates a new world -> standard Drox Operative multiplayer gameplay.

I'm having trouble articulating my ideas so I'll shut up and let you use your imagination.

droxop55
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of a multiplayer lobby.

I then would suggest that if a multiplayer lobby came into existence, the Drox demo should be updated to allow multiplayer up to level 6 (as it does now in single player), and be able to join the lobby.

Having the demo be able to multiplay would, in my opinion, help sell more copies.

droxop55
01-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Id like an in-game way of viewing all of the component types in the game. It is hard to tell if I have run across all of the types yet or not.

I suppose it would be similar to the shipyard list.

I havent decided if I like the idea of showing question marks for all of the components that I have not found. Part of me wants to know everything that is available, and the other part enjoys the discovery.

CautiousChaos
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
And some of the ship AI is a little suspect.

If I get mobbed and I just stop engines I find that other ships do the same. Right next to me. Pew Pew Pew and they're all gone. Gotta change that - it's just odd.

Maybe it's more comical than odd. It's like I'm taking a breather with an ol' buddy. And pummeling him with beam weapons at the same time.

-cc

Castruccio
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
There is a thorough and sober-minded review of Drox over on Space Sector which addresses a few issues could be cleaned up in an expansion: http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/01/drox-operative-review/

Valgor
01-07-2013, 06:03 PM
That's by far the best review of the game I've read to date.

droxop55
01-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Well, you know, we have not heard from Soldak what their plans are for the future of Drox, beyond of course, trying to appeal to more players for more sales.

I would like to hear from them here too.

Bluddy
01-07-2013, 09:39 PM
The planet option I mentioned earlier was a low cost option: just abstract the planet's resources and buildings and their functions.

A more advanced version (aka my dream version) would involve entering another area when you enter the field of a planet. Planet interaction would occur in this map, which is a map of the planet as it's being developed by the colony. It would be much like an area in DC/DoP, except everything would be in smaller scale of course (individual people would be tiny). This area would represent the planet itself and its facilities, so you'd have a shipyard, a pub, some factories, high-rise buildings etc. Attacking the planet would mean withstanding the shooting of flak cannons and low altitude vehicles as you target specific installations. Furthermore, instead of just choosing abstract choices such as espionage or sabotage, you'd drop off a hired spy right next to a factory, trying to avoid being seen.

There are very few space games that are also able to do full-blown planet interactions well, but in Drox, a planet could be just another area, and could actually feel like a fully developed part of the game.

tnk
01-08-2013, 03:18 AM
I would like to see an expansion along the lines of a multiplayer counter-operative mode. Each operative would have a different secret agenda (perhaps set by feuding diplomats in the high command). At first players would work together, until such time as a "betrayal" occurs, for example when two operatives ally on opposite sides of warring races they would now be PVP. Non-PVP sectors I think would also be a good idea.

droxop55
01-08-2013, 03:14 PM
After spending more time with the game, I now agree with everyone that has commented on the 'epicness' of Drox. It needs to feel larger and deeper, but at the same time, maintain the playability.

These are my thoughts to improve the epicness:

Drox Operatives should:

Be able to build structures in the universe.

Be able to create planets

Be able to 'claim' locations in the solar systems. I want to be able to say 'this is mine, Im going to protect it'. Does not really matter what it is, a space station, a planet, a big weapon, just something that enemies want, and when they come try to take it, Drox mobilizes to take them out.

Be able to move faster in a sector. 200 max speed should be able to be broken via some sort of temporary buffs.

Be able to 'win' a sector in more ways.

Be able to 'lose' a sector in more ways.

Be able to win in more than one category in a sector. Perhaps once winning a Fear win, maybe I want to continue and try a Diplomatic win in the same sector for more loot?

Be able to create trade routes between races, allowing technology transfer, and 'making them stronger' in some way. Oh, and the Drox guild would get a cut of the transactions, of course.

Stabilize wormholes to permanently be able to go to a solar system of their choice, or be able to create a warp link (temporary) between two solar systems.

Have a skill list to put skill points into. A grid of 20 skills, no prereqs.

The races should:

Have colonized planets that offer different activities. Some can repair, some can trade, some sell buffs only, some may sell only lasers (ie, specialize in one component type)

Have more than just 6 races in the sector.

Be able to survive longer in the sector (they seem to die off too fast)

Be able to be resurrected in some way

Offer gambling in some way, similar to Din's gambler

The sector should:

Be able to be even larger

Have a Galactic Forge, allowing you to throw in two components, and get one random one back with random stats.

The components should:

Have more varied weapons. Cluster mine? Cluster rocket?

Be able to be 'enhanced' or 'enchanted' by paying some credits to level up the component.

Have more cross functionality. A rocket that also has a laser? Fusion bomb that creates a decoy? Flack cannon that also can cloak?

Have more types available to statistics. More weapons that work with a computer stat? Missiles that are equipable with a structure stat?

LouieLoco
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
First off, i just signed up to the forums and i wanted to let the devs know that I LOVE this game! I think that the way every thing you do influences your sector and affects your game experience is outstanding and i hope you will inspire more games of this type. Many things that i'd like to see implimented have already been mentioned, but i have a couple ideas that could build on a complete game. seems like other posts would like you to change core mechanics of the game.

1. ADDITIONAL POTION TYPES! Perhaps explorer potions that cause neutral mobs to ignore you? i found once i hit the lvl 40's range or so that exploration became extremely hazardous. Or a random wormhole would teleport me to some system and i would be swarmed by mobs before i could find the way home.

2. ESCORT SHIPS! That silly SWARM race with their thousands of excess minerals and never any money! I'd love to be able to hire or purchase escort ships that could help players overcome some of the tougher obstacles in the game and would provide an addition way to support a race and spend my money. The race would create them in the normal way and i would simply pay to have them follow me until they die. Also this could be implimented in the way of some sort of "rally potion" that would cause nearby allies to protect and follow me for a while. I like the idea of flying into a system with a big ol' fleet :)

3. DEFENSIVE STRUCTURES! I saw this in some other posts in this thread but i'm not asking to be my own race and play a strategy game. I would simply like to deploy destructible turrets that shoot lasers or missiles at nearby enemies. Perhaps this turret could have components of it's own if we wanted to get really fancy? In any case i'd love to see some sort of zone control to prevent that system i just cleared of friggin' talon from being totally resettled by the time i get back from selling all my loot. Could also be fun to help keep the monster levels low in friendly systems that i barely visit. Another way this could be done is to allow the player to purchase or hire x number of battleships to patrol a sector.

4. ECONOMY??? My understanding of the game's economy is very poor, and i've been unable to find any resources that answer my questions. For instance, when i sell a component to the vendor, i gain reputation, but am i actually helping the race? Does that race equip that component somehow? Do they resell that item to some unknown vendor for retail price and pocket the difference? Does it go towards some sort of research progress? Or am i just taking money away from my chosen race? A little more transparency in this area or some new ways to influence this part of the game would be terrific! Maybe allow buying/selling of minerals/population/food to planets based on supply/demand to add a safer way to earn some credits when you're getting dangerously close to that economic loss? Since the game revolves around earning/selling loot, a little love in this area could go a long way!

Again, i freaking love this game and i hope you sell a million copies :) Thanks for caring about community input.

droxop55
01-10-2013, 12:27 AM
I am going to take a stab at the above about how you influence another race. This is just from my experiences.

Giving a race credits will help them build ships, you can watch their credits go down as they use them. I don't know about buying loot at a planet.
Giving a race technology makes them stronger in whatever tech you give them.

So technically you can help out a fledgling race by stealing tech from the race with the best tech and giving it to another race. Their ships will upgrade with said new components.

It may be true that buying loot at a planet gives that planet funds to build ships at the planet, but I'm not sure.

I don't know how to make a planet stronger though or make it grow faster.

LouieLoco
01-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Well yeah, i think i understand that buying things from a planet gives those credits to the race, but i don't understand how SELLING unwanted components helps that race. I've never seen a ship using an item that i sold to that race, as the (somewhat dated) developer blog suggests.

This game has a certain complexity that is really missing in most modern games. Drox Operative should flex it's muscles at every opportunity and bask in it's own uniqueness, and never shy away from a chance to show the player the effects of his/her actions.

prismra
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Drox Citadel

How cool would it be if you would spend money to built a base of operations on an unexplored planet which would prevent other races from colonizing it? This would then become a planetary asset of the Drox which could be used for trading (it would be work like technology trading currently does). Citadels could be used to stymie the expansion of a race you don't favor or to turn a quick profit. I think the idea fits in with the theme of the Drox being ruthless extortionists and manipulators.

You could goose it a bit by allowing Citadels to be upgraded to produce credits, research technology or construct planet-killer missiles which could strike other planets in the system.

McCormick
01-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Most wanted improvement:
A gold "+" symbol to indicate items whose "primary" attribute is better than what I have currently equipped.

When viewing items for sale at a planet/vendor, the green "+" symbol seems to indicate an item that is better than what you currently have equipped, and it seems to be based on a valuation of all the item's attributes.

More often than not I'm seeking an item whose primary attribute is better, while the green "+" marked items tend to have lower primary values and then some extra secondary values such as resistances, radar, find component %, etc.

I end up looking through most of the items for sale because I don't want to miss out on those hidden gems, a time consuming task.

Worse yet, all those tooltips flashing on and off are making my eyes bug out and leading to a headache, which for some reason reduces the fun factor of Drox for me :D :eek:

One might go a step further and display a combined gold "+" overlaying a green "+" for items that are better overall & better in primary attribute.

spacehog
01-14-2013, 04:27 AM
I've seen fleets/escort ships come up at least once in this thread and I second that. The ability to mass small fleets with allies, random npcs, mercs, etc., would be awesome.

Instead of having skill trees like DoP and DC, maybe Drox characters could have technology trees. Some sort of point system when you level up that lets you customize the way your ship plays beyond the racial differences and combinations of items. It could conceivably be tied in with the technology advancement loot drops that get traded with the other races.

I don't really have a sense of the underlying mechanics as far planetary interactions and racial strength go, so it's entirely possible that this next idea already exists in some form. Races could harvest resources from planets and use space stations / factories to turn those resources into exportable goods, opening up doors to quests that involve protecting / sabotaging stations to help / ruin another race's economy. The game is already masterfully deep, but I'd definitely pay for an expansion that makes it even deeper.

MikeLemmer
01-15-2013, 07:07 PM
I'd rather have the planetary/faction mechanics explained better first. They seem too obtuse ATM, and I have a hard time figuring which planets are good at what, or why a faction is acting a certain way. We gotta understand what's in place before it goes deeper.

MrDogg
01-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Been playing now for a month and gotta say I'm having a great time playing, and only have a few things to add.

1. Spam messages are getting old, please find a way to tone it down for them to offer me 80 credits or so is annoying. Most of the time I ignore them until I need to check.

2. We need a mine sweeper drone or probe, I'd make it so it took awhile to clear tho. Hidden mines are horrible on my large fleets of planes ;)

3. I was wondering if its possible to make the right click mouse button action to be assigned a keyboard action, for I don't use the mouse to fly around, just pick up stuff and alliance screen.

Keep up the good work and the game drew this, :D

lanm
01-19-2013, 07:00 AM
I think it's exciting how much potential Drox Operative has for expansion!
Here are some ambitious ideas:

1. Away missions! Beam down to planets for on foot missions, in a Din's Curse type perspective. Of course this could be a lot of work, as it could pretty much mean a second game in the first if you have characters with inventories or some such.
2. A new game mode where instead of worrying about races, you journey from sector to sector, Star Trek: Voyager style. Wandering into an anomaly in Drox Operative and ending up lost in another sector can be annoying because it can take you away from your stash and active mission, but it could be very exciting as part of an epic journey style game mode, finding friendly/hostile races and missions as you go. This game mode could be endless or have an over-arching quest.
3. Super Novae! Evacuate missions for naturally occurring nova, or bombs that cause them where you have to escape the sector on a timer.
4. An option for realistic physics gravity, so you speed up when flying towards a planet and slow down as you fly away, rather then just slowing down as it does now. Might be some fun in trying to slingshot around a planet
5. Tractor beams to capture enemy ships
6. An option to scale xp gain to sped up the pace of the game
7. Special sectors, like nebula
8. Skills. I miss having both attributes and skills :P
9. The option to repaint your ship
10. The ability to damage other ships by ramming them. Maybe as a skill, with related items?

Valgor
01-19-2013, 09:07 AM
10. The ability to damage other ships by ramming them. Maybe as a skill, with related items?

Actually, that was what I thought Ram Accelerators did when I played the game for the first time... accelerating the ship up to ramming speed.

Nayzablade
01-20-2013, 07:48 PM
2) A way to pause the action in multiplayer.

Definitely this! Via some type of Anomaly, or even something that you could build around your stash area, like a dyson sphere or something, and when all the players are inside, it pauses time for the rest of the universe outside the Dyson Sphere.

It could be implemented through discovering parts of blue prints in anomaly/alien aritifacts, then after you have all parts to the blueprint you could build the dyson sphere. That could then trigger quest lines to defend it etc... Maybe you could also upgrade it with weapons, shields, power plants etc

Anyways, just a thought :)

bong
01-21-2013, 02:10 AM
hmm

expansion eh

I dont know about what you have planned and i guess most of the suggestions here have merit

im sure as a development team you are ticking off this and that and thats fine; thats as it should be because it shows:

a. youre genuinely interested and

b. its a stunning game and possibly the purest action rpg of this generation and a template of dynamic ludonarrative games for years to come.

however

and its a big however

dont, for the love of christ, craft some arbitrary story mode to the expansion.

it doesnt need it and it would definitely create problems with the dynamic model causing you to, heaven forbid, streamline the game for the COD crowd.

stories are for books and movies

im quite capable of creating my own stories in games thank you very much

now,

i have two suggestions that would make my own personal experince just that little bit better.

1. The game pauses when you open up the planet trading menus. This pause will end whenever you install a new component or identifying items in your cargo bays.

2. I am getting slightly annoyed with the battle music. The ambient music as you are tooling around space is stunning; why ruin it with some poppy cowboy bebop ditty as you are destroying all and sundry? Maybe an option to toggle off battle music?

love the game and i also adore dons curse

keep up the good work :cool:

monsterfurby
01-21-2013, 10:27 AM
1. More quest arrows/waypoints
2. Custom sector shapes (similar to how some 4X games allow you to pick from different galaxy configurations)
3. No more unreasonable requests (someone I am at war with asking me to divorce my ally etc.)
4. NPC wingmen

bong
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
1. More quest arrows/waypoints

no

1. you can search for bosses in the quest menu

2. you are given the system where it is and what you have to do to complete it; what more do you want, a magical path of ion dust that shows up via a component?

unnecessary inclusion to the game and to include it would be to agree with the 'liberty island is so complicated' crowd.

2. Custom sector shapes (similar to how some 4X games allow you to pick from different galaxy configurations)

this idea has merit

3. No more unreasonable requests (someone I am at war with asking me to divorce my ally etc.)

so does this but im sure its in the queue for the next patch

4. NPC wingmen

the game already facilitates a summons component so im not so sure what a permanent addition would do for balance.

a good balance would be the previous suggestions of limiting the trade planets and adding a trading pet via some additional mechanic

McCormick
01-26-2013, 08:25 PM
The latest patch notes (1.001) list a number of things that have been suggested in this thread. That's encouraging! I especially like the adjustment to how the game determines when to display a green plus on items for sale.

Expansion Idea:

A more advanced version (aka my dream version) would involve entering another area when you enter the field of a planet. Planet interaction would occur in this map, which is a map of the planet as it's being developed by the colony. It would be much like an area in DC/DoP, except everything would be in smaller scale of course (individual people would be tiny). This area would represent the planet itself and its facilities, so you'd have a shipyard, a pub, some factories, high-rise buildings etc. Attacking the planet would mean withstanding the shooting of flak cannons and low altitude vehicles as you target specific installations. Furthermore, instead of just choosing abstract choices such as espionage or sabotage, you'd drop off a hired spy right next to a factory, trying to avoid being seen.

There are very few space games that are also able to do full-blown planet interactions well, but in Drox, a planet could be just another area, and could actually feel like a fully developed part of the game.

I like Bluddy's ideas -- landing on planets, taking more of a direct part in espionage, sabotage, etc. Possibly having the option to do your buying & selling in the "safety" of the planet's surface would help make up for the lack of a Pause function in multi-player.

What I'd really like to see are some aspects of Ascii Sector (http://www.asciisector.net/) implemented. Not sure if this would fit well into Drox Operative itself, or if its really asking for a new game that is somewhat slower paced.

In addition to the space ship flight & combat, also have a character that can walk around inside your own ship and outside. Land on a planet, or dock with a space station, etc., leave your pilot's seat and walk through your ship to an exit, then walk through the space station or town to do business, get missions, get jumped by thugs occasionally and fight them off with your personal weapons, etc.

I first saw this in a game years ago that was called something like 'Black Sun'. After a space battle, if components of the ship were damaged you'd leave your pilot's seat and walk through the ship to repair or replace them.

After landing on a planet, the ship in that old game actually had a cargo module that could be detached from the ship and driven around through town to buy/sell cargo, or to deliver cargo to the secret colony that you were supporting. You could park the cargo module and get out to walk around, maybe go into a bar to look for contacts/missions, etc.

It doesn't really fit well into Drox Operative's fast-paced action, where planets can be destroyed so quickly. But imagine docking with that derelict ship and exploring it to try to find some useful parts. Or docking with an enemy ship, perhaps with the help of a tractor beam, and doing a hostile boarding to try to take over the ship intact.

bong
01-26-2013, 10:45 PM
similar to mount and blade warband?

that would be an excellent addition to an expansion

maybe get a chance to put down that rebellion you just delivered 10 crates of non lethal weapons for.

a disadvantage would be the inevitable samey-ness youd get from such a dynamic universe.

maybe a sweetener for surface missions could be upgrades for already established weapons?

or perhaps lucrative loot drops?

anyway, i like the idea of surface missions

alstein
02-12-2013, 04:56 PM
An increase in options and variety across the board.

Also, I think the level 25 bottleneck needs to be handled, right now the jump from 24 to 26 is massive. Very similar to Din's, where the game stops being as much fun around that level.

Tyrax Lightning
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Perhaps the ability to Upgrade existing Components you have with the Bonuses YOU want on it, along with new types of Bonuses put in, like maybe a Bonus that Raises a Weapon's Minimum Damage Number... maybe it can be called "Weapon Efficiency"! :)

Sedlex
02-13-2013, 05:29 PM
A complex "perk" system along the same lines as in Fallout, with a very wide range of passive skills to select every few levels based on the current race and raw (unmodified by crew/equipment) ship stats.

These should be thought of as simple fun, and not necessarily balanced against each other. In fact, I believe they should be marginal to promote experimentation.

I'm not even going to start sketching things out here, but here are a couple of (totally arbitrary) quick ideas to give an idea f the type of passive I'm talking about (I'm not even saying I'd like to see these specifically):

Hive mind:
Available at level 25 to Hive ships, no stat requirement. As long as all crew are Hive, ship gets a bonus to computers equal to twice the number of crew equipped.

Sniper:
Available at 100 tactics and 50 computers to Drakk and Brunt. The range of all laser weapons is increased by 50%.

Weapons hot:
Brunt at 50 engineering. Damage increased by something percent, but all weapons take damage at double the current rate for kinetics (or something along those lines).

Tactical rewiring:
Available at level 20 for Utopian, if the player has more points invested in computers than in tactics. Requirements to equip items relying on the tactics stat is reduced by (computers - tactics), and the power load of items relying on tactics is increased by (computers - tactics)%.

Federation:
Human, available at level 25 if the player has more diplomatic wins than other types. For each race a player is allied with on victory in a sector, player receives one crew member of that race in addition to any other prize.

Rock hard:
Lithosoid, level 50 or 100 structural. Lithosoid ships get a bonus of 10% to every resistance but lose 5% manoeuvrability for each equipped armor.

Scientist:
Cortex and Fringe at level 5. The probability of getting technology drops is dramatically increased, as well as the quality of the drops (one level above whatever would have dropped ordinarily).

Now think up as many of these as possible, and allow players to pick one every five levels. They don't need to be balanced, but they do need to be heavily skewed to make choosing them meaningful in some way.

ilegal
02-19-2013, 07:24 AM
MOAR customisation, MOAR equipment, MOAR stuff to explore. i think this is the place where the game shines.

maybe it would be cool if CREW had seperate slots and crew members would be more customisable. also maybe making i.e drakk crew member unhappy by killing other drakk ships and planets.

maybe i would like to see mining in the expansion. more

a good inspiration for equipment could be EVE online. addition to fighter bays, the game could offer drone's. drones are much weaker than fighters or interceptors, but you could have more of them and they would be cheaper to deploy.

missle weapons could use some tweaks. maybe sepparating them to torpedo, rockets classes. becouse i find no difference in the rocket selection, all are slow and alike.

torpedo - much slower, less agile, but big damage;
rockets - much faster, more agile, less damage;
rocket salvo launcher - launcher multiple missles, super fast, super agile, low damage.

adding more encounters would also improve the game and replayability. like encountering drox operatives gone rogue. or independant colonies, whose fate is yet to be unknown and if delt with properly - decided by you. more annomalies, sector wide unique effects.

also it would be nice to join all of your sector you been in, into one huge galaxy. the effects of your earlier games could effect your newly created sectors. lets say you were waging war in the last three sectors agains Fringe and Cortex. they might dislike you more the new sector. the galaxy could have your drox operative head quarters, your tiny little base which could be improved, for generating stady income or having a nice vendor, using your gathered technology. a lab inside your tiny base, where you could do reasearch depending on gathered data on your adventures, using research data to do some kind of crafting, building something UNIQUE.

and offcourse - more ships! i dont think they are really hard to create, i would enjoy sketching few if needed or pich more ideas.

really i could and i would like to sketch a few designs for new ships, that would be great! :)

Tyrax Lightning
02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Ok, after learning a bit more about this game, I think we can use some more Crew Points too... maybe they can be rewarded for completion of strong quests... if not for completion of very difficult Sector Challenges?

Siveria
02-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Hmm I'd like to see:
1: More monster ships

2: Better Music (I love the game but the music is pretty bad.. i'm sorry)

3: Monster ships being more.. well Monster ish, maybe semi-organic ships (think aramda for dreamcast)

4: Ability to play in a new game mode where Drox can colonize planets and such like the other races, When races go to war, I am usually the one that has to do everything since I cannot like, ask a race to join me in the fight.
4a: Insted of adding drox being able to colonize planets, allow them to ask a race they allied with to send ships to help you if you have that zones stargate open.

5: Have items say what tier they are before u loot them, like Ram Cannon II insted of just "Ram Cannon" when you have the text on.

6: Since its an expansion or dlc, add new races, for the player and enemy. Maybe allow 8-10 races to be in 1 map insted of 6 max. For people who really want a hectic game.

Tyrax Lightning
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Hmm I'd like to see:
1: More monster ships

2: Better Music (I love the game but the music is pretty bad.. i'm sorry)

3: Monster ships being more.. well Monster-ish, maybe semi-organic ships (think armada for dreamcast)

4: Ability to play in a new game mode where Drox can colonize planets and such like the other races, When races go to war, I am usually the one that has to do everything since I cannot like, ask a race to join me in the fight.
4a: Instead of adding drox being able to colonize planets, allow them to ask a race they allied with to send ships to help you if you have that zones stargate open.

5: Have items say what tier they are before u loot them, like Ram Cannon II instead of just "Ram Cannon" when you have the text on.

6: Since its an expansion or dlc, add new races, for the player and enemy. Maybe allow 8-10 races to be in 1 map instead of 6 max. For people who really want a hectic game.
Odd, I like the Drox Music... though if new awesome BGMs show up, i'm not about to complain...

I dunno about us Drox 'colonizing' stuff for ourselves... then we gotta manage 'all those annoying people', which is specifically NOT stated in our Job Description, & I like that part of us Drox Operatives... Let the other Races do the screwing around with the annoying civilians. ;)

I'm neutral toward 6, seems like we got enough Races already... though maybe it could be interesting being able to play as a Subrace, like a Fringe Rebel, or an AI... if this happens, we'll be needing a LOT more Character Ship Slots... even as is, I dunno how one is supposed to get all the 'reach lvl 25 as (Race)' Achievements with the limited amount of Character Slots as is... :confused:

I agree with & support the rest of the ideas here, especially 4a! It could be fun being able to ask for Ship Support from a Race to use up some of their Ships before I switch sides & turn on that Race afterwards... especially if I allied with that Race while they were strong, then find them losing ground & starting to get beaten up by someone else who's rising to power & showing more potential... :D

I managed to think of a new idea to add to my prior suggestions as well: Better & more informative Item Descriptions for Items, especially along the lines of 'Hits (x) number of times over its duration', 'Does not use Hit-Roll to determine if it hits', 'Does not answer to the enemy's Defense Stat', & the like... :o

all_zebest
02-21-2013, 10:50 AM
As for me, I would say :
1/ better musics too
2/ an introductory text with original illustrations (one per race would be ideal),
3/ big portraits during dialogues, just like in most RPG: we need a little more emotion in Soldak games!
4/ some voices, maybe
5/ a new design for the ships
6/ more variety in space images and colors, just like in SPAZ

Arcatus
02-26-2013, 11:03 AM
I'll try and keep this short; Some are repeated from others as a thought they were good ideas.

1) Better loot sorting (icons and color coding)
2) Adjustable speed. 3 speeds forward, one (slow) speed in reverse. Top speed should consume energy. (and be over 200)
3) Less hidden stats / better stats descriptions. (Did any of you understand thrust without reading up on it on forums?)
4) Are those mobs space ships or space creatures? They look like ships, but are called creature names. Bad for immersion!
5) Cheap components should break. Would be interesting to choose between a powerful cheap missile that might break during normal operation, or less powerful exceptional that always work. (if you get an exceptional powerful one that is a no-brainer ;))
6) Anti mine weapons. Please.
7) Linked weapons - atleast if you equip more than one of the same type.
8) Increase hitpoints of planets. Significantly. They are way to easy to kill.
9) Different sectors - different race goals. Races's always (eventually) end up in wars against everyone - what if different races have different goals (i.e dryad would usually try to ally with everyone). To make things interesting goals would be slightly randomized, so you could run into a war-mongering dryad faction.
10) Slight effect on race relations depending on previous actions. If you always end up in wars with brutes that should have consequences. (but with a diminishing effect, so leave them alone for a sector or two and it's back to normal)

(ok, that wasn't so short afterall....):p
Sorry if its TL;DR

Shadow
02-26-2013, 11:33 AM
4) Talons are space creatures.

Arcatus
02-26-2013, 12:05 PM
4) Talons are space creatures.

Awesome getting a reply from the developer in a few minutes. :eek:

Any chance you would consider removing the engine flair from them?

Shadow
02-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Any chance you would consider removing the engine flair from them?

They might be a creature, but they still move in a similar manner.

Siveria
02-26-2013, 01:46 PM
They might be a creature, but they still move in a similar manner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7573lphqI Armada for dreamcast, loved that game, drox sort of reminds me of it but slower paced I guess? Also any plans to like.. fix the itemization? I shouldn't be able to find an item in the next tier thats way worse than one in the previous tier, you see this especally with cpu's and power plants. Talking the base power use/buff value only.

Tyrax Lightning
02-26-2013, 05:05 PM
I'll try and keep this short; Some are repeated from others as a thought they were good ideas.

1) Better loot sorting (icons and color coding)
2) Adjustable speed. 3 speeds forward, one (slow) speed in reverse. Top speed should consume energy. (and be over 200)
3) Less hidden stats / better stats descriptions. (Did any of you understand thrust without reading up on it on forums?)
4) Are those mobs space ships or space creatures? They look like ships, but are called creature names. Bad for immersion!
5) Cheap components should break. Would be interesting to choose between a powerful cheap missile that might break during normal operation, or less powerful exceptional that always work. (if you get an exceptional powerful one that is a no-brainer )
6) Anti mine weapons. Please.
7) Linked weapons - atleast if you equip more than one of the same type.
8) Increase hitpoints of planets. Significantly. They are way to easy to kill.
9) Different sectors - different race goals. Races's always (eventually) end up in wars against everyone - what if different races have different goals (i.e dryad would usually try to ally with everyone). To make things interesting goals would be slightly randomized, so you could run into a war-mongering dryad faction.
10) Slight effect on race relations depending on previous actions. If you always end up in wars with brutes that should have consequences. (but with a diminishing effect, so leave them alone for a sector or two and it's back to normal)

(ok, that wasn't so short afterall....)
Sorry if its TL;DR
I agree with 1, 3, 6, 7, & 9. :)

As for Number 4, as best as I understand from reading Shipyard Info i've gathered as I play, is that many, if not all of the Monsters were created by the Dryad, who respect life, yet have no qualms about screwing around with it at the same time... :p Many Monsters were deemed failures, some were useful for awhile, then got Outmoded, some are offshoots of other Races like the Hive (Overlords) & Utopians (Talon), but all have the commonality of having adapted to life in the Space Wild & become Feral. Not a bad thing to keep in mind if ya ever have second thoughts about Warring & blowing up the Dryad... that they're no angels. ;) (Especially consider shaking your Fist at the Dryad in anger when a Grape-Con Boss-ized Gleria 1 shots you with a sick strong Freeze Ray hit... even though the Gleria might not be one of the Dryad's works... I have trouble keeping all that info straight.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7573lphqI Armada for dreamcast, loved that game, drox sort of reminds me of it but slower paced I guess? Also any plans to like.. fix the itemization? I shouldn't be able to find an item in the next tier thats way worse than one in the previous tier, you see this especally with cpu's and power plants. Talking the base power use/buff value only.
Agreed... I facepalm every time I pickup a Elite/Artifact/Legendary Item with the EXACT SAME NAME & TIER of a Component I have equipped, & the already equipped Component of much more commonality has the superior Stat Power in it's Core Stat, like Power Plants & +Power Load, or Bombs & their Damage Range, etc...

New Idea: Those Bounty Hunters sure know how to be a threat to Drox Operatives... & they musta come from somewhere... I wonder... maybe the Drox were defeated in the great war between them & the Drox Operatives... but they might not quite have been destroyed...? They could be hiding in the deepest darkest shadows of Space plotting Revenge against the Drox Operatives... maybe the Bounty Hunters are/were secretly formed & funded by the Remnants of the Drox...? The hell with the fact that it's the Drox that fired the first shot & made the first offensive, not unlike Drakk being uncool to Drakk Clones, or Cortex being uncool to Telepaths, etc... :D

Siveria
02-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Agreed... I facepalm every time I pickup a Elite/Artifact/Legendary Item with the EXACT SAME NAME & TIER of a Component I have equipped, & the already equipped Component of much more commonality has the superior Stat Power in it's Core Stat, like Power Plants & +Power Load, or Bombs & their Damage Range, etc...

Yeah its pretty funny even when you have a grey componnent that has better stats than a higher tier one with another name thats elite or better. I think its because whether its Elite etc doesn't effect the base stats, it just adds more modifiers. I was thinking maybe a main stat boost, by a % and a power needed reduction by a % based on its rarity, Mind you with how random item stats are (check a shop on a planet where they have like 10 of the same tier item and the stats vary wildy) You may still not get one thats better in base stats of a grey, unless they program it so that common and up[ have a higher chance of being on the higher end of its stat range, and a higher chance of it being on the low end of the power cost range(if the item has one).

The loot system is good, but I feel this could improve it. I'd also like to see the crew points, or command needed for ship upgrades to be either increased in the case of crew points, or maybe make it so every 5 command=new ship, you'll still need to upgrade your Thrust unless you wanna be slow as a snail. At my mains level it'd take 3 levels ups worth of crew points to get the next ship, I do feel that command is a fairly big waste of points though, it needs to do something other than just unlock new ships, maybe have command lower stat req's(Just the strcture/helm etc, leave the power cost alone) on all other gear by 0.3% per point and have it cap at maybe a 40% reduction? Since your getting better at knowing the hardware your using you figure out ways to cut corners or jury rig the hardware when installing that doesn't effect its output.

Cockbite
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Most wanted improvement:
A gold "+" symbol to indicate items whose "primary" attribute is better than what I have currently equipped.

When viewing items for sale at a planet/vendor, the green "+" symbol seems to indicate an item that is better than what you currently have equipped, and it seems to be based on a valuation of all the item's attributes.

More often than not I'm seeking an item whose primary attribute is better, while the green "+" marked items tend to have lower primary values and then some extra secondary values such as resistances, radar, find component %, etc.

One might go a step further and display a combined gold "+" overlaying a green "+" for items that are better overall & better in primary attribute.

The needs to be in the game now not a year from now. The current system is nearly useless when it's trying to tell me a shield is better because it has 5 resistance but only half of my current max shields value.

Excalibur Bane
02-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Agreed. The current plus system is pretty damn useless. It goes for things with more attributes over items with a higher base value.

Shadow
02-27-2013, 11:25 AM
The needs to be in the game now not a year from now. The current system is nearly useless when it's trying to tell me a shield is better because it has 5 resistance but only half of my current max shields value.

You can do this now. There is a relatively new option that allows you to turn off the price comparison and then it will only compare base stats.

Tyrax Lightning
02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
You can do this now. There is a relatively new option that allows you to turn off the price comparison and then it will only compare base stats.
I have that option on now... it doesn't work. It STILL tries to tell me that 800 Shields & no Bonuses is worse than 600 Shields with +1 Resistance to something, or some such stupidity, as a rough example... :(

I don't give a damn if a Component looks shinier & prettier to a Merchant... I care about how EFFECTIVE it is, in it's Core Stat first, & overall power second. Why is a Bomb with a +Attack Bonus it can't even put to use getting a Green Plus over a Bomb that does over 100 more Max Damage...? O_0 Oh, speaking of which, similar to how stupid it was for Unbreakable Items being able to have +Max Durability on them, it's stupid for Weapons that don't use the Attack Stat to be able to have +Attack on them... :/ (Example: Manual Aim Railguns.)

& while I can remember to think about it... is it normal for Crew that get obtained from Crew Recruitment Quests to have crappier stats (& in some cases, way crappier stats...) than Crew ya got at low level & kept & raised with ya for many many levels...? & is there such a thing as rare powerful Crew that could drop, like a Crew Equivalent of Rare/Artifact/Legendary/Elite?

Shadow
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
I have that option on now... it doesn't work. It STILL tries to tell me that 800 Shields & no Bonuses is worse than 600 Shields with +1 Resistance to something, or some such stupidity, as a rough example... :(

& while I can remember to think about it... is it normal for Crew that get obtained from Crew Recruitment Quests to have crappier stats (& in some cases, way crappier stats...) than Crew ya got at low level & kept & raised with ya for many many levels...? & is there such a thing as rare powerful Crew that could drop, like a Crew Equivalent of Rare/Artifact/Legendary/Elite?

This might be what you meant, but you want to uncheck that option.

There are elite crew.

Excalibur Bane
02-27-2013, 08:55 PM
No, even with it unchecked, it's still giving a plus symbol to items with lower stats but more affixes on it. Can you make it so we have the option of just going on the base stats?

Shadow
02-28-2013, 11:07 AM
No, even with it unchecked, it's still giving a plus symbol to items with lower stats but more affixes on it. Can you make it so we have the option of just going on the base stats?

I'll check it out. When it's unchecked it's supposed to only compare base stats.

PixelLord
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Yes, I noticed this also.

Tyrax Lightning
02-28-2013, 05:39 PM
I'll check it out. When it's unchecked it's supposed to only compare base stats.
Many thanks for this. I also wanna report another problem: The Check Mark for showing vs not showing the Health Bars over the Ship does nothing... it refuses to not show. I probably shoulda said something about this a long time ago, but I still can't tell if it's the game or me that's the problem... but for me, the game doesn't care if the Check on this option is on or off... the Bars won't leave.

Shadow
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
I also wanna report another problem: The Check Mark for showing vs not showing the Health Bars over the Ship does nothing... it refuses to not show.

If I remember correctly, there are a few options to turn off if you want all of the health bars gone.

Tyrax Lightning
02-28-2013, 08:21 PM
If I remember correctly, there are a few options to turn off if you want all of the health bars gone.
Ahh, can ya specify exactly which ones? It's not obvious to me... :(

Any possibility of future Multiplayer PvP? I gotta Multiplayer pal of mine that can make me feel like blowing him up from time to time... (During the very rare times I even get to Multiplayer with him...) > : D

New Idea: (Or at least, I hope i'm not forgetting it to be already suggested or some such...) Radar to increase how far away your Fog of War Clearing power is, plus a bit of boost to the hidden Base Radar power since as is it's completely useless. Optionally, maybe Radar can try to see through Cloaks...?

New Idea: A way to 'Request' a certain Item with an exact particular Stat Requirement to help find stuff ya either can't find, or is much lower level than your current level... Example: My Main is in the Level 80s now, & thanks to an epic Mod that should become Vanilla, I FINALLY got some Structure on him. I've decided to take it to exactly 50. Now, the only Heavy Slot Armors that ever drop at my level have 3 digit Structure Requirements... what if I could make a 'Request' at a Merchant of any Planet of any Race that is at at least Neutral Terms with the Drox Operatives for... say... a "Heavy Slot Armor" Component with the exact Structure Requirement of "50"...? Then time would pass, then you can get a hail back from that Race('s Merchant) granting a Quest, ("You scratch my back, & i'll scratch yours.") that when completed, drops Randomized Loot containing just that exact thing ya 'Requested' with the exact same Item Type & Stat Requirement Specifications, but Randomized in every other way as normal. (Maybe the same way a Crew Member drops after a Recruitment Quest?) Then ya could farm for lower level stuff without needing an Alt.

Farming with an Alt & then using the Shared Stash is viable... but only if ya actually HAVE an Alt in an appropriate level range... & can one forsee ALL Stat Planning one might do for Characters in the future in regard to paying attention to a previously neglected tertiary Stat...? I never thought I would EVER get to do anything with my Main's Structure Stat till a miracle from Mod Heaven came to be... Lastly, what if a person was on their first character & taking them up to high levels before their next Alt... like I did? ;)

Shadow
03-01-2013, 09:38 AM
Ahh, can ya specify exactly which ones? It's not obvious to me... :(

Any possibility of future Multiplayer PvP?

I guess there's just player status bars and ingame status bars.

We are not likely to do any PVP type of stuff any time soon. It would be cool, but it's a huge feature.

Tyrax Lightning
03-03-2013, 08:43 PM
I guess there's just player status bars and ingame status bars.

We are not likely to do any PVP type of stuff any time soon. It would be cool, but it's a huge feature.
In-Game Status Bars I need to leave on, cause it IS useful seeing the Shield, Armor, & Structure remaining on my Enemies... I seriously better not have to turn that off to get the bars over my own Ship off... or what was the point of the 'Bars over my Ship On/Off' option...? Please fix when ya have time, even if it is a low priority thing...

New Idea: Heavy Slot Shields. :o (I'm surprised these weren't in to start with... there's both Medium Slot & Heavy Slot Armor... :confused:)

tigarex
03-03-2013, 11:16 PM
1. Colony build and managing
2. Improve Trade System
a. Common goods for Trade
b. Dynamic economy
c. Trade Dedicated Cargo

Tyrax Lightning
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
1. Colony build and managing
??? It's part of our Job Description as Drox Operatives that we DON'T have to manage 'all those annoying people'... thinking about giving up the life of a Drox Operative & becoming a Civilian Babysitter? While you're at it, wanna have a Spouse & Kids in tow? :p

Shadow
03-04-2013, 06:08 PM

Any chance that you can send me a save game with this problem? I can't reproduce it so far.

Tyrax Lightning
03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Any chance that you can send me a save game with this problem? I can't reproduce it so far.
I'll see what I can do. :)

I'm a Dropbox User, & next time I spot Items doing this, i'll try my best to Link ya to a Dropbox Link containing a Save Game with both Equipped Items & the Offending Item(s) available, via the Offending Items being in the Ships Inventory, instead of the usual selling the Items as Loot. :D

Especially... my Main Ship is using a Fighter Bay giving me Level 100 Advanced Drones... & I keep finding Green Pluses on looted Fighter Bays giving various Ship Types ranging in Levels in the 60s or 70s... How the hell are lvl 60ish Fighters better than Level 100 Advanced Drones...? O_0 About the only thing that's ever gonna even POSSIBLY be better are maybe Level 100 Heavy Raiders...

Actually, maybe I should try to have Multiple example Items in the Inventory before I send the Files... as of the time of this Post, I got my Main in the 80s, (awaiting an Alt to farm him up a good 50 Structure Heavy Slot Armor) a lvl 15 Fringe built to have a Character to Multiplayer with a pal with without being stupidly overlevel compared to him, & a lvl 18 or 19ish Brunt who's gonna get me the lvl 25 Brunt Achievement for me as he farms up the aforementioned 50 Structure Heavy Slot Armor... & I might just keep him even after that... Missiles are pretty fun for weapons that are screwed into needing Computer Power & weak vs fast flyers! (Speaking of which... Missiles with much faster travel speed might be fun new additions, they could be new High Tier Weapons that are so strong, they START at 150 Tactical of need... give Specialists some fun toys... This idea could extend to other Weapons too! :D )

New Idea: A way to move already placed/assigned Crew Points & re-distribute them. Sometimes, our first Characters can't avoid mistakes, yet we still love them... plus we can make plans needing a certain kinda Crew Member... then never FIND that actual Crew Member... no matter how hard we try... :(

darksilver
03-09-2013, 12:11 AM
I've got some bad luck with one of my ships - every crew member i found was crappy and/or of wrong race, so here comes an idea. We got a Wandering trader (as random), so adding Slaver/Job Market/High School (pick one) ship seems like a solution.

Tyrax Lightning
03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Even in 1.005 Beta, it looks like if ya gotta Heavy Slot Engine equipped, & a Engine in your Inventory that gives a tad more Defense, but a tad less Thrust at the same time, the Engine in the Inventory with the Tad More Defense is getting a Green Plus... this makes me wonder, which Stat is intended to be the Dominant Stat for Heavy Slot Engines, Defense or Thrust...? I would think Thrust personally...

Siveria
03-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Even in 1.005 Beta, it looks like if ya gotta Heavy Slot Engine equipped, & a Engine in your Inventory that gives a tad more Defense, but a tad less Thrust at the same time, the Engine in the Inventory with the Tad More Defense is getting a Green Plus... this makes me wonder, which Stat is intended to be the Dominant Stat for Heavy Slot Engines, Defense or Thrust...? I would think Thrust personally...

I think it should compare thrust, for weapons all it should look at imo is the dps. For shields, just the shield capacity. Bascally just look at the main stat and ignore everything else. Because I have had drops of shields that were like 150 shield cap lower than what I have, but the game was saying its better. Then again the itemization is pretty messed up in Drox with some things, like reactors, its pretty funny when you get a reactor thats 2 tiers lower and has higher powerload stat than something much higher level. This should not be possible at all. Bascally there is not much of a clear showing of a higher tier version of the same item being better with some of the item types.

Reactor and shields are the major offenders of this, armor less so. Weapons generally have been fine.

darksilver
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
Reactor and shields are the major offenders of this, armor less so. Weapons generally have been fine.
Oh rly? :rolleyes:
http://imageshack.us/f/26/ss0000x.jpg/
1.005 ;)

Tyrax Lightning
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
I've spotted some Items misbehaving in a similar way to how the Special Weapons Category Components were in terms of comparison: Battery Other, & EM Weapons. Examples of EM Weapons include the EM Shockwave & the Lightning Cannon. (Note to fellow Players: The Lightning Cannon is totally bad dude! Be cautioned though that i've gotten it tested, & it IS a Hit Roll Weapon... I might use this weapon on my Utopian Alt & move Beam Usage to my future Shadow Alt... > : D ) Kinda annoying trying to compare Energy Leechers & the Game comparing an Energy Leecher to a Energy Harvester instead... No sweat though, this game has nowhere to get but better. :)

pieciax
03-11-2013, 01:53 PM
I've created few threads about thing i would love to see in expansion, their summary are here:

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25258

please reply with comments!

Tyrax Lightning
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I've created few threads about thing i would love to see in expansion, their summary are here:

http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25258

please reply with comments!
Wow... you got to Level 100 with the Vanilla 5 Crew Points per level...? You're a true Badass! :cool:

I'm using the "8 Crew Points per Level" Mod, & my Main's at Level 83 as of the time of this Post. :)

Still distracted on playing of Alts trying to farm up a good 50 Structure Heavy Slot Armor that my Main can't try to farm up for himself anymore... if only there was a better way to go about this... :whistle:

pieciax
03-11-2013, 02:25 PM
believe me - it was a big pain especially to change some equipment after around level 50+ till the end. Latest patches increasing beam's weapons effectivness helped a lot (most of the game i used 3 beams weapons and one missle as a race slot)

@Shadow

Do you think there is a chance to start thread with expansion production progress, including features that are planned for implementation, already implemented, and optionally chosed to be implemented?

Catweazle
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Most of these suggestions have probably already been made, but it's ok because it shows that people agree on features:

- Space Stations (probably already being made). Both for races and the player (replace starting hub). Expand your base with extra space, weapons, shields etc. Lots of fun options here for customizing your home.

Other options:
1) Rare abandoned bases to be found and reactivated/stripped.
2) Quests to help build a base for a race.
3) Blockade base: In stead of building a base at a planet a race can also decide to build an offensive base at a gate and block all incoming/outgoing traffic.

- Item slots: You can find ancient artifacts on planets (gives extra incentive to explore them) that can be placed onto items to enhance them.

- Expand more on ship crew. For example: Have a separate window where you can place your crew in various stations (helm, captain, radar, security) to enhance performance of your ship. Also, introduce rare crew with unique skills, such as 'fast turning maneuver', 'reroute next enemy energy weapon to shields', 'enhanced boarding' (see below) Think Star Trek tricks...

- Boarding: For boarding to succeed you need to take down their shields and have a boarding umbilical/teleporter item and a tractor beam on your ship. You may choose to plunder the ship or take it as a wingman (except bosses). The latter option also requires you to install one of your crew onto the ship. If plundering is your choice you'll receive one of the following rewards: A new tech, race info (planets, systems, homeworld), crew, rare item, artifact. The stronger the enemy the bigger the reward. Disadvantage is that you will only get 1 thing (contrary to when you destroy an enemy), but the rarity of the reward is slightly higher.

Your crew's strength is measured against the enemy ship to determine who wins. Your crew may get injured or even killed if they are too inexperienced.

- Wingmen (max. 2): No bosses, and lower/equal level to you. They gain XP/levels up to your current level. You have to install one of your crew, who will receive experience and enhance the strength of the ship (AI can even use crew skills).

- Emerging race events (mutants etc.) are rather underwhelming, they usually have little impact. Introduce some more game changing events:
1) Return of an ancient powerful race (look at player level/current races to determine their strength).
2) A real zombie/mutant outbreak which threatens to take over the entire galaxy. Mutates any ship/planet that it comes in contact with.
3) Supernova: A quest to save a system. If it fails the system is lost forever. Some gates will cease to function and systems may become unreachable, leading to 4)
4) Quests for the construction of a new gate to reconnect lost systems or leading to a previously unknown system with... new race, resource rich, infection, abandoned or lots of artifacts etc.
5) Hyperspace storm, changes/randomizes the destinations of gates, affecting relations between races.
6) A gigantic mothership with an ancient race in stasis. Do you strip the ship and steal their tech or will you wake them in the hopes that they may help you reconquer/balance the galaxy? But it could also lead to 1).

Ok I am done for now, need to recover from this brain storm :)

EDIT: Proof reading my own text. So many typos :)

Shadow
03-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Do you think there is a chance to start thread with expansion production progress, including features that are planned for implementation, already implemented, and optionally chosed to be implemented?

Usually if I talk about expansion stuff it will be in the twitter thread or a full-fledged blog post.

Wingflier
03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
My suggestions for the Drox Operative expansion are features that I believe should have already been in the game. It's an almagamation of things which I've seen reviewers complain about, and which tend to make the game less accessible to new, or even veteran players.

1. Option to turn Fog-of-War off.
A "Large" Sector (which isn't even the biggest size) houses 30-40 planets, all of which you have to find and explore on your own. If you were literally to remove just 50% of the Fog of War on EVERY System on a Large Sector, it would probably take you 3-4 hours or more. And this is assuming the monsters weren't killing you over and over in the process, and a lot of this would be backtracking to places you had already been, in order to find Wormholes and System Gates that you may have missed.

Though it has some 4X Elements, this is primarily an ARPG. As such, you are primarily appealing to the ARPG crowd. Nobody would play Diablo 2 or Torchlight if you had to spend 4 hours exploring the map every Act. "Exploring" in successful RPGs is seamless, you don't even realize you're doing it because it's part of a quest, or because you're simply following a road to the next area. Very rarely are you asked to tediously explore for something that you can't find, and if you are, it would probably only take a few minutes. Drox Operative asks you to STOP PLAYING the game, ignore your quests, and what's going on in the galaxy, simply to tediously explore the map. There is a reason so many reviewers (and players) have found this to be one of the worst game mechanics. You are constantly bombarded with messages about battles going on in, events that are occurring, and planets that need protecting, in Systems you don't even know about! Nothing is more frustrating than this. Maybe some players enjoy this, but I can promise you that the majority of your potential playerbase does not want to be stuck in a dark tunnel with a flashlight for hours while they're missing the elements which make the game actually fun.

2. Allied Factions (with you), share Sector locations.
To go along with the no Fog-of-War option, Allied Factions should give you the locations of the Sectors they have planets on. It's a nice reward for gaining an Alliance with them, and makes up for the fact that even if the game had no fog-of-war, it would still probably take over an hour on a Large Map just to travel through all the gates connecting the System to discover where everything is. A lot of that would simply be back-tracking places you had already been, since the Sector is not a continuum.

Once again, these are suggestions which make your game more accessible to new players, and specifically if you're trying to enlarge your playerbase. I can promise you that most traditional RPG players do not want to spend the majority of their gaming experience exploring the map. This may appeal to a small portion of your potential playerbase, but the game is not called "Drox the Explorer".

3. Variable Faction Difficulties
It seems that one of the main issues with Drox is the random difficulty of each Sector. Some Sectors may be full of Diplomatic Races which you can easily get to work together, and therefore quickly and painlessly acheive victory. Other Sectors may be full of Angry Races, all of which are constantly at War; a War you're caught in the middle of. In fact, hundreds of random elements determine how difficult the "Faction" aspect of the game is for every new mission. Being able to raise and the lower the "monster" difficulties is only to be able to control a small fraction of the game. You could raise the monster level very high, and still have a relatively easy game if all the Factions worked together. You could decrease the monster level very low, and still have a difficult game because of a chaotic Faction experience. You have very little control over this.

As such, I think the game should encompass options which always the player a greater control over their game experience and difficulty.

Here are some examples:

A. Arrogant Master Races - with this option enabled, Factions who start the game, or quickly become the most "dominant" or "powerful" Factions, are much harder to gain relations with, and lose relations much more easily. Because these Factions are already the most powerful in the game, they don't feel the need for Drox Operatives, and are less likely to treat you amiably. Factions who are less powerful, but whom you've helped reach the top, remember your contribution and are more like to keep their loyalty. This makes the game harder.

B. Random Faction Relations - with this option enabled, you will start the game with a random relation (from 30-60) with each Faction. This means that it's much more difficult to play in a formulaic way and simply snowball the game. It makes traveling through systems and dealing with Factions much more tactical and strategical, instead of just doing the same thing every game.

C. Friendly Master Races - Like option A, but just the opposite. Factions at the top are friendly to you, and give relation quickly. This makes the game easier.

You could probably think of some more, but the general idea is just that the Race and Faction aspect actually has a much bigger impact on the game's difficulty than the monster level. The player should have a greater control over this.

In closing, I will reiterate that most of my suggestions are things that I think should have been in the game in the first place. They are things which will make the game more streamlined and accessible to your potential playerbase, and I strongly hope you consider them. Most of the suggestions I've seen in this thread do not improve the game, or do so only by increasing the complexity of a game that is already considered too complex by many reviewers and players. I don't think adding more complexity to the game is the way to go. There are still many fundamental aspects of the game that could be improved upon (the UI system is a good example).

Castruccio
03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
A Forum thread from the Arcen games forum with a few suggestions from Keith, an Arcen designer, about how to clear up the fog-of-war tedium that plagues Drox: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,10939.255/topicseen.html

radioonfire
04-08-2013, 03:02 AM
This has been mentioned in other threads, but it would be good if Legion/Talon/Overlord races would be targeted by the monsters that would attack normal monster ships of those races. This would be more immersive and consistent behavior, and it would prevent them from letting their systems run amok with huge swarms of monsters (unless they are allied monsters, of course).
On a related note, it's really difficult to start a rebel planet unless the quest is sponsored by another race. If I track down the rebel freighter, a single enemy will zip by and destroy it in one hit. (This also applies for alt races like zombies and mutants.) If we could take those quests from the planet, it would be more helpful.

TYP
04-14-2013, 07:25 AM
I'd like to see some variety in the class of ships that defend planets. It's a bit odd that a new planet will produce a titan right off the bat, rather than produce smaller vessels first. If smaller vessels were cheaper, the planet could produce them until their ship allotment was full, and then replace each smaller vessel with the next class up, and so on and so on.

Elafar
04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
I would like some better way for tracing quests. In some games you could see on compass map and arrow pointing what direction to go. It doesn't have to direct you precisely it can be an at least general direction toward area / map.

Or at least on the general map whenever you select a different quest some marks could be added that would help you to find it easier.
Because there may be people that enjoy searching "hell" as it is now ,tracing quests feature could be made optional.

radioonfire
04-16-2013, 11:18 PM
I would like some better way for tracing quests. In some games you could see on compass map and arrow pointing what direction to go. It doesn't have to direct you precisely it can be an at least general direction toward area / map.

Or at least on the general map whenever you select a different quest some marks could be added that would help you to find it easier.
Because there may be people that enjoy searching "hell" as it is now ,tracing quests feature could be made optional.

I think I must be misunderstanding what you're getting at. Almost all quests give you the option of paying a nominal fee to put your target on the map. Quests that don't are usually treasure hunts where the whole point is searching.

Elafar
04-17-2013, 06:21 AM
I was more referring to something like we get once we exit borders of the map. One could see a blinking star pointing direction which need to be followed to return back.

:)

Elafar
04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
Ok, after few days playing I have finally realized that most desired option ( at least to style of gaming I prefer ) would be to have win condition of killing some sort of the final boss. I think that this would attract much more peoples that enjoy more action and the less diplomacy management kind of games.
this option could be selectable on creating game screen.
One could call it simpler ARPG :)

It could be also made that each following map got populated with +1lvl higher sub boss and final win would be achieved by winning final boss....killing all the previous bosses could yield bonus reward ,something in the fashion of gauntlet mod.

I would like to hear comments if anyone agrees / disagrees and I hope for support of this Idea.

Tuidjy
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
I would not mind a kill-final-boss ending BUT ONLY IF there was a story mode. Bosses as the final objective make absolutely no sense in the game world as it is now.

What does the Organization care about a final boss? Even the 'Fear' win is a bit strange, given that it most often occurs when you are defending the last system of a underdog against the overwhelming numbers of a race that will finish the genocide as soon as you leave the sector.

So, I just proved to be a mass murdering force of nature... Now, everyone wants to do business with me?

gemix
04-18-2013, 01:21 PM
drox ability to have a planet to grow new ships

Tariul
04-22-2013, 11:46 PM
I would like to see space stations near planets if it hasn't already been mentioned where you can trade and buy from a bigger selection of goods and maybe even see rare items from time to time. Also they should have strong defenses to protect the planets like 3 lasers and a fighter bay and they should be destroyed before you can attack the planet.

I would like to see more race specific activity, like explorer ships, patrol ships and smaller and larger ships present where the smaller ones are a bit faster ect.

More diplomacy like somebody else mentioned and interaction between races they are too neutral they just hang around don't colonize too often and just seem like the more time goes on the more they become useless.

Something I don't like is when your ship resets back to the little fighter when you upgrade command. I would rather see small changes but end goal to have the largest ship.

More than 6 races per game maybe 8 for people with good computers.

Better background space graphics resolution it looks too spongy and not realistic.

Tyrax Lightning
04-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Better background space graphics resolution it looks too spongy and not realistic.
What Graphics Settings & Res do ya play at?

Tariul
04-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I play on 1680x1050 but even at that resolution the background doesn't look sharp.

Also it be nice to have a multiplayer server list with pings i'm having a hard time finding any people to play with and I think people don't bother hosting because of the weird server list.

Tyrax Lightning
04-23-2013, 01:38 PM
I play on 1680x1050 but even at that resolution the background doesn't look sharp.

Also it be nice to have a multiplayer server list with pings i'm having a hard time finding any people to play with and I think people don't bother hosting because of the weird server list.
Here's what Drox looks like on my Good Computer that runs high settings & 1920x1200 Res: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/1117163295177975081/C5E1046B47A77A1E20FA280A453EDC2A30F5773B/

The only setting not set high on my Good Computer is Anti-Aliasing which is disabled. I can only wonder how this Screenie would look with Max Anti-Aliasing. :cool:

Maybe ya gotta less than stellar Monitor...

chacha
04-24-2013, 02:11 PM
I don't know if it was already suggested, but I think it be very good if there will be any way to destroy mines flowing in space.

Dio
04-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Skill trees for each stat.
Say every 20 points you put in a stat you get one talent point for that stat's talent tree.

For example, say we get a talent point in tactical, the talent tree could be set up to cater to each weapon type in separate sub trees. An early talent would be like, beams/missiles/kinetic weapons fire a small bit faster, use less energy per shot and high end talents could be to give kinetic weapons tracking, missiles some small aoe damage and beams to cause a DoT.

Helm talents could improve max speed, or increase base defenses. Engineering could improve shields and such. So on and so forth for the other skills.
Thats just off of my head.

Amazingly it already does this with the bonus passives... but I agree having more than just two for each skill/stat (one at base 50, the other at 200 I think) would be awesome!

Tuidjy
04-25-2013, 11:44 AM
having more than just two for each skill/stat (one at base 50, the other at 200 I think) would be awesome!

Just a small correction. You get a small bonus every 50 points (50, 100, 150, and 200) and a larger one at 250.

Dio
04-26-2013, 04:03 AM
having more than just two for each skill/stat (one at base 50, the other at 200 I think) would be awesome!

Just a small correction. You get a small bonus every 50 points (50, 100, 150, and 200) and a larger one at 250.

awesome! I didn't realize that... I'm still very new - thanks for the info!

TYP
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Not sure if this is 'expansion' material, but I'd like to see the inventory slots be a bit more modular. Why can't a medium mount weapon be put in a heavy mount slot? Why can't a crew member 'live' in a medium mount?

Or, alternately, devote certain slots to specific things, and you can pick what new slots are opened up when you level up command. You'd have weapon, reactor, drive, computer, crew, usables, misc, whatever slots, and when you hit a tier that, right now, gets you a new slot, then you pick what kind of slot you want. This would give us a ton of ways to customize our ships and really personalize your play style.

Tyrax Lightning
04-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Not sure if this is 'expansion' material, but I'd like to see the inventory slots be a bit more modular. Why can't a medium mount weapon be put in a heavy mount slot? Why can't a crew member 'live' in a medium mount?

Or, alternately, devote certain slots to specific things, and you can pick what new slots are opened up when you level up command. You'd have weapon, reactor, drive, computer, crew, usables, misc, whatever slots, and when you hit a tier that, right now, gets you a new slot, then you pick what kind of slot you want. This would give us a ton of ways to customize our ships and really personalize your play style.
Umm... frankly, I think 'telling' a Slot what it can & cannot equip would actually make customization damn restrictive... for example, some builds don't bother with Computers, so FORCING Computer Component usage & the like would actually be a damn uncool thing to do... :(

TYP
04-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Umm... frankly, I think 'telling' a Slot what it can & cannot equip would actually make customization damn restrictive... for example, some builds don't bother with Computers, so FORCING Computer Component usage & the like would actually be a damn uncool thing to do... :(

The idea is that you select what kinds of slots you have, so if you don't want computers you don't select a computer slot. I don't use computers either, but I also don't need so many heavy slots - I'd rather open up more light or medium for devices that give passive upgrades, like Harvesters or crew. However it happens, I'd like to have more control over what items I can install in the ship as I level up command.

Tyrax Lightning
04-26-2013, 10:52 PM
Ya might change your mind on that later... Once ya can start holding more Light & Medium Components, ya might very well find yourself wishing for more Heavy Slots for more Power Plants... ;)

namad
04-28-2013, 07:09 AM
I'd like to see a bit more spaz/starfarer weapon firing system.

I'd like to be able to press 1 and fire all ballastics then press 2 and fire all my beams then press 3 and drop all my mines.

there's really no reason this wouldn't be doable.

if this isn't possible how about a hotkey to fire all? or fire all assigned to right click?

content I think the ability to hire escort vessels would be cool, like hire an escort from a faction and then they'd assign an escort to you? then possibly you could also give it equipment from your inventory? that'd be super cool? to avoid imbalance maybe it would never leave the sector? and/or be timed?

it might also be nice to see quest chains added? like completing some quests will then spawn other quests that can only spawn then? and so-on? the final reward at the end of the chain would be huge? possibly this would be only for legend style quests, possibly for any style of quest?

Gilgamesh
04-28-2013, 11:13 AM
1. Ships growing not shrinking
This is a major one for me, I still feel the pain of when my dear ship suddenly imploded from battleship to taxi size. Please have ships grow steadily. Actually, could you correct that in a patch? That would be super.
2. No more empty size levels
For your ship to grow you have to invest a LOT of points - I have a level 85 hive ship with a command of 187 and I run at the standard 5 points per level! And then you are hit with levels that only affect your stats but don't give you additional slots. I find this a bit harsh.
3. Mines
Mines add a lot of excitement to Drox Operative, but some sectors are just soooo cluttered with them you can hardly enter them. PLEASE give us mine clearing equipment and/or make other ships detonate them too.
4. Monster density setting
Personally I prefer exploration and big game hunting to planet "glassification" ;) but some sectors are so infected, you have to commute back and forth to (from your base) to clear them so often that it simply stops being funny. Maybe it already exists and I missed it, but a selection of monster infestation level would be nice.
5. Same winning points for sector size
In my limited experience it is not really easier to achieve Legend/Fear points from a larger sector so when I play in a medium to large one, I simply don't bother to try. If the difference were smaller, it would still be challenging, but achievable.
6. Buying/ selling sector maps
Not essential, but would be nice. And also another diplomatic option.

Tyrax Lightning
04-28-2013, 02:01 PM
it might also be nice to see quest chains added? like completing some quests will then spawn other quests that can only spawn then? and so-on? the final reward at the end of the chain would be huge? possibly this would be only for legend style quests, possibly for any style of quest?
There is one such quest that works like this thus far: Terraforming Quests. :)

Malerio
04-28-2013, 04:37 PM
There is one such quest that works like this thus far: Terraforming Quests.

Which usually end for me after the first part when I decide to complete them through the relation panel. The next part never shows up - not even on the planet they wanted to terraform. It only continues if I decide to complete it on the planet itself.

Gilgamesh
04-28-2013, 04:41 PM
One thing I forgot that I would REALLY like. Superboss and Overlord Quests should not be tied to a planet but rather a species. It is such a pain in the stern when you fight the super evil menace to like 157 hull points and then the quest suddenly goes bust because somebody iced the planet. Also, I believe it makes more sense that a Superboss is something the national government takes care of and not the regional.

Tariul
04-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I would like to see stats given by command to be counted as base stats so that you can at least get the bonus passives from that stat.

Tyrax Lightning
04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Which usually end for me after the first part when I decide to complete them through the relation panel. The next part never shows up - not even on the planet they wanted to terraform. It only continues if I decide to complete it on the planet itself.
I've had that happen once or twice... never could figure out why. The rest of the time, I could find the next step of the Terraforming Quest through the Relations Screen for that Race.

anifreak
04-30-2013, 01:47 PM
One thing I forgot that I would REALLY like. Superboss and Overlord Quests should not be tied to a planet but rather a species. It is such a pain in the stern when you fight the super evil menace to like 157 hull points and then the quest suddenly goes bust because somebody iced the planet. Also, I believe it makes more sense that a Superboss is something the national government takes care of and not the regional.

This one I really like for an entirely different reason.

I'm a bit OCD and seeing those tribute markers on the planets makes me want to clean them out, so I usually end up taking quite a bit of time moving from one sector to another when the planet that issued the quest gets destroyed since I have no way of tracking the boss.

Alternatively you can make a sort of "Dangerous Figures" list or something issued by the Drox Operatives that list down monsters with colored names in each sector and allows you to track them for a higher price. So that even when the race that issued the quest is destroyed you'd still have a way of tracking down those bosses, without the quest rewards of course, just the satisfaction of knowing you cleaned out those buggers is reward enough(plus the loots :D).

Tyrax Lightning
04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
This one I really like for an entirely different reason.

I'm a bit OCD and seeing those tribute markers on the planets makes me want to clean them out, so I usually end up taking quite a bit of time moving from one sector to another when the planet that issued the quest gets destroyed since I have no way of tracking the boss.

Alternatively you can make a sort of "Dangerous Figures" list or something issued by the Drox Operatives that list down monsters with colored names in each sector and allows you to track them for a higher price. So that even when the race that issued the quest is destroyed you'd still have a way of tracking down those bosses, without the quest rewards of course, just the satisfaction of knowing you cleaned out those buggers is reward enough(plus the loots :D).
Hmm... Boss Tracking... that sounds spiffy! Maybe that can be added to the existing Radar Stat functionality so it'll quit being completely useless! :D

Gilgamesh
04-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Alternatively you can make a sort of "Dangerous Figures" list or something issued by the Drox Operatives that list down monsters with colored names in each sector and allows you to track them for a higher price.
Oh, yes! A Drox Top 10 Most Wanted ... Critters(?) list that are haunting the sector. That would be nice. It shouldn't be always full (or even active), lest players only follow these quests, but certain events (such monster destroys a planet) will trigger the issuing of a Drox bounty.
So that even when the race that issued the quest is destroyed you'd still have a way of tracking down those bosses, without the quest rewards of course, just the satisfaction of knowing you cleaned out those buggers is reward enough(plus the loots :D).
Hmmm, I've done that a few times (I was fighting the thing and nearly had it and then some doped up space-squirrel destroyed the planet) and the satisfaction that you got the thing but just missed 23,000XP is not really there.

MAybe the original quest dies and the "Drox Most Wanted" yields less money (and XP) but more fear/legend points?

Also, Why do Overlord kill quests do not yield fear or legend points?

CaptainWinky
05-04-2013, 03:11 PM

Agreed. Also have rebellion/civil war questgiver ships be invincible and ignored by monsters so that they stick around until the rebellion is resolved (whether by aiding the rebels or quashing the rebellion). Half the time I can't even talk to the rebel ship before a group of monsters rolls up and destroys it.

radioonfire
05-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Agreed. Also have rebellion/civil war questgiver ships be invincible and ignored by monsters so that they stick around until the rebellion is resolved (whether by aiding the rebels or quashing the rebellion). Half the time I can't even talk to the rebel ship before a group of monsters rolls up and destroys it.

Second. This drives me crazy. I make a beeline for the map marker, but as soon as the ship comes into view some Overlord with 350 speed zips by and eviscerates the entire rebellion with a single laser blast. Alternately, being able to pick up rebellion quests from the diplomacy screen would be good as well.

Tuidjy
05-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Second. This drives me crazy. I make a beeline for the map marker, but as soon as the ship comes into view some Overlord with 350 speed zips by and eviscerates the entire rebellion with a single laser blast. Alternately, being able to pick up rebellion quests from the diplomacy screen would be good as well.

Why not make the rebellion leader's ship a bit stronger? Even a freighter can take a few hits, and has a puny laser with which to fight back. Give that ship some armor and some firepower.

Tyrax Lightning
05-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Now that ya'all mention it, it can feel like Rebellion Ships drop more easily than even Merchant Freighters... Maybe the Rebels should at least get some dang Armor & Shields before they fly up into Space...? :/

Gilgamesh
05-05-2013, 06:53 AM
Also, Rebel ships could move around to safer areas instead of sitting there waiting to die (maybe that's just "my" rebels).

Fairgamer
05-06-2013, 12:30 PM
et me preface this with the fact that I'd love to see current issues patched and corrected as much as anyone. But Expansions ideally are for expanding the game with new features, not bug fixes and balances. The following are just my ideas, take or leave them.

Drox Operative: Space Opera

New Races!

Angels (placeholder for whatever): A race of benevolent beings that detest all forms of violence Cannot equip weapons that cause damage, but have access to powerful technology that can stun opponents for a good duration and simultaneously increase your Alliance's stance toward the race they belong to.

++ to Command stat
+ to Engineering stat

Demons (placeholder for whatever): A race of malevolent troublemakers, who rejoice in pain and violence. They fly around the galaxy in fleshy vessels, unable to equip standard defensive devices. Instead they have a slot for a device that can reflect damage back at their attackers.

++ Command stat
+ Tactical stat

New Traits!

I was somewhat disappointed with the lack of start up traits compared to Din's Curse. These are just a few suggestions, but I'd love if more cropped up in an expansion.

Memorable: I know what you did last sector... Don't expect your exploits to go unpunished/unrewarded. Races will retain their diplomatic stance toward the starship in subsequent sectors, and randomly spawn hunters or helpers, depending on how much they hate/like you.

Destroyer of Worlds: Show no mercy, and expect none in return... Diplomatic, Fear, and military victories are taken off the table. In their place are annihilation victories, requiring you to destroy every vestige of civilization within a sector. Every civilization starts out and remains at war with the Drox.

Savior of the Galaxy: There's no way to Peace, Peace is the way. Military, Legend, and Diplomatic victory are taken off the table. In their place is the Galactic Peace Victory condition, requiring you to end all wars and foster peace between every remaining civilization. If you or an ally destroy a planet, you fail.

New Item Type: Deployments!

A form of crew/weapon that can be placed in newly accessible planetary inventory. Hostile planets must have no defenders in place for this to be possible. Civilizations can place their own versions of these deployments on planets.

Brunt General: Weakens the resistance of the planet while automatically spawning a certain number of strong defenders upon placement. If the defenders are defeated the Planet is instantly converted to whatever Civilization you choose. Failure results in a hostile rogue civilization forming.

Dryad Ambassador: Slowly improves your stance toward the civilization it's placed on. More Ambassadors on different planets stack.

Shadow Agent: Create a persistant rumor/propaganda/whatever within a civ, while the Agent remains, and neutralize all civilization agents put on the planet. Any number of differently aligned agents on a single planet will cancel each other out.

Cortex Hacker: Creates a shield layer over a given planet that regenerates quickly. The power of the shield varies with the quality of the planet.

Human Industrialist: Accelerated production on a planet.

Lithosoid Forgemaster: Creates an armored layer over a planet, that scales with the quality of the planet.

Hive Queen: When placed on an allied planet, will spawn a certain number of the given civilization's spaceships to aid you in battle, scaling with planet quality. The queen is sacrificed. If an agent is on the planet, it is sacrificed with no effect.

Drak Admiral: Spawns a powerful planetary defender or several tough fighters on a friendly world. These remain around the planet until the Captain is removed, at which point they disperse, becoming independent monsters.

Fringe Star Eater: Can be placed on a planet, which begins a slow drift toward the sun of it's given system. When it reaches the Center of the system, the star bursts, destroying everything in that system, including the player if present. All civilizations will go to war with the Drox if this happens, regardless of whether or not it was the Drox that placed it.

Tyrax Lightning
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Let me preface this with the fact that I'd love to see current issues patched and corrected as much as anyone. But Expansions ideally are for expanding the game with new features, not bug fixes and balances.Dammit, you're right... my apologies on being annoying... :o

Memorable: I know what you did last sector... Don't expect your exploits to go unpunished/unrewarded. Races will retain their diplomatic stance toward the starship in subsequent sectors, and randomly spawn hunters or helpers, depending on how much they hate/like you.
I like this idea, especially the name of it! :D

Fairgamer
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Ahh, sorry, I didn't mean to direct that portion toward anyone in particular, I was mostly apologizing for the lack of bug fixes and rebalancing in my suggestions.
And I realize that suggestion isn't exactly new, but I never heard it suggested as another trait. I could be wrong.

Epic Sagas!

Custom Campaign mode that consists of a series of games that intertwine in various ways.

Choose the progressing number of sectors within a saga and their parameters.

Appoint Drox Nemeses from among your saved ships to try and foil your activities while you undermine theirs within the saga, or play against a friend in multiplayer mode.

Special rewards based on the path you chose.

New Drox Operative Directives!

Make peace between X and Y.

Make X Rich.

Settle X Planets for Y

DarthNihilus
05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
As for me, I'd like the following:
- be able to choose not only the size of a sector, but also an another option - instead of choosing the sector size to be able to choose just the number of the stars. I mean - choose EITHER "sector size" OR number of star systems (15-1024)
- a "Search" button at races' "tech" screen (where are the highest tech components listed) for every tech there which shows another screen with planets where this component can be bought [yes, I love Freelancer :)]
- 4 more slots for each type of them (L/M/H), +1-2 race specific