PDA

View Full Version : If I like Din's Curse, will I like Depths of Peril?

Jorlen
04-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I know, I know. There's a demo and I can try it out. I just thought that maybe some of you, who've played both, can save me some time.

DoP seems like it has some elements of RTS / Strategy mixed with diablo-like elements. Although usually I'm not a fan of RTS / Strategy genres, the mix of both might be enough to get me to enjoy it.

I was just wondering.. exactly how much management and RTS stuff do you have to do in DoP? And the diablo-like dungeon crawling, can it compare to Din's Curse as far as gameplay, loot, etc? Any other comments or comparisons?

Thanks guys

Shadow
04-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Hopefully someone less biased than me can help you out. However, it doesn't play like an RTS. You can get a bunch of NPCs to join your covenant, but you don't control them directly so there's none of that micromanagement. The strategy part comes in with your diplomacy with the other covenants.

Jorlen
04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Hopefully someone less biased than me can help you out. However, it doesn't play like an RTS. You can get a bunch of NPCs to join your covenant, but you don't control them directly so there's none of that micromanagement. The strategy part comes in with your diplomacy with the other covenants.

Hrm, interesting. This is good. What about the other elements, the dungeon crawling, loot, skills, classes, is it similar to Din's Curse at all, or different?

dnuggs40
04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
From my perspective Din's Curse is much better in those areas...which is probably why I like it more. But it is similar...I just feel Din's Curse is more fleshed out in that department.

OneoftheLost
04-23-2010, 06:16 PM
You really should give the demo a try. Its worth it if you like dins. Plus, its free. I myself chose Din's over DoP. But, its all very familiar. Try the demo, and see what its like. Certainly not a waste of time if that's what you are worried about.

Kruztee
04-24-2010, 01:34 AM
On the whole, I think that DoP is an even better game than DC.

Inter-covenant relations, being able to team up and adventure with a recruit (and the new gameplay dynamics that it brings to the table), being able to equip covenant members with leftover loot, and a delicate balancing act of adventuring and keeping an eye on the situation at home. All of these factors make the game memorable for me.

I agree that DC does the dungeon crawl elements a little better, but overall, DoP is still the superior game in my opinion.

Jorlen
04-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Well I'm going to give the demo a serious try, but only after I've spent significant time with DC. I'm not good at dividing my attention to two games at once!

IJBall
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
I can only offer my take, but of the three Soldak games (as of yet!) I'm liking Din's Curse the best, and that's just from playing the demo so far.

Of the three, I actually found I didn't like Depths of Peril, and I never progressed beyond the demo with it. Maybe now that I've played DC, I should go back and try DoP again. But I found DoP "too much" when I played it - as in, there was too much going on and too much to do, and I never got the hang of it. Personally, I think if DoP hadn't had the 'covenant' angle, I would have liked it a lot more, as I really appreciated the 'random world' aspect of DoP. I just didn't like having to play against AI teams (and I never really did figure out how to take out opponents' Lifestones!!).

I put Kivi in the middle - I liked its storyline quite a bit, and I liked the variety of characters to play. But like others have said, I think I would have liked Kivi better if, after finishing the game the first time, you could play all the way through again with *any* of the available characters/classes from the beginning. (I think there are supposed to be ways to mod that, but I think it'd be a better game feature if finishing Kivi once just unlocked all the characters automatically.)

I think what makes Din's Curse the best is that it basically combines all the best elements of the previous two games into one package. Yeah, it'd be cool if there was an 'overland' portion to DC like there is in DoP (maybe that can be added to Din's Curse II!!). But, all in all, I think Din's Curse offers me pretty much everything I'd want out of a Soldak game.

So, anyway, I guess my $0.02 was that I never really "got" Depths of Peril. Take that for whatever it's worth, I guess... :)

Cadfan
04-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Here's my take.

The quest system from Din's is great. But the metagame with the covenants is a great overlay of the quest system, and really adds a lot to the game.

Overall, Din's classes are better, except for one thing. In DoP, the fact that attacks are sort of interstitial with your regular attack chain, and the way they all have recharge times, means that a melee character does the best if they have lots of varied attack options. For example a good Barbarian might have Power Strike, Cleave, Whirlwind, and some of the retaliation attacks, and combat would involve mixing them all up as you fight. Or a Rogue might use Slice, Lethal Blow, and that attack that triggers when you get a critical hit, and combat will involve artfully increasing your momentum and spending it on Lethal Blow or other special effects. That's a real dynamism that Din's hasn't got, even though Din's has got a lot of other neat, balanced powers in it.

DoP also has outdoor maps, which is just so much more colorful and aesthetically interesting then a dungeon. Soldak has done a lot with the dungeons in Din's, but its hard to match the sheer color and vibrancy of the outdoor regions is DoP.

DoP had the henchman and the teleport stone though, which sounds great but actually removed a lot of challenge. You could beat almost anything by teleporting in and out while letting your henchman do all the work.

I still don't quite *get* spellcasters in either game. I think its because melee characters don't put all of their points into one and only one skill, and spellcasters kind of have to. Which makes them less awesome to me.

Din's has a great class and hybrid system, although I do find it occasionally difficult to figure out how to get enough accuracy with certain hybrid choices. For example, a Defender hybridized with almost anything is going to have accuracy problems because he needs so much strength, and gets nothing special from dexterity. Gladiators have similar issues.

There are a few other balance issues between the two, but those are my general thoughts. My overall perfect game would be one that brought back the interstitial attacks and the longer recharge times, encouraging multiple attack powers, one that used outdoor maps more frequently just for aesthetic reasons, and one that rebalanced spellcasters a little bit so that they don't have to pump a billion points into only one attack just to keep up. I like variety.

graffen69
04-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Only Soldak game i tried out before i baught Dins Curse was Kiwi´s Underworld. Ofc i had to DL the Depths of Peril demo to take a look at it. I still rank Din´s as the best of the 3 but DoF is a close second. Gonna buy it as well as soon as i can stop my Din addiction for a while.
One thing i actually prefered in DoP (prolly becuz im an "altaholic" and i farm way to much gear to be called a "healthy player" :eek:) is that theres "only" 4 classes to play and that you improve your diplomatic relationships by giving stuff away to the other factions.
For me at least, thats somewhat of a blessing :)

interesting
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM
If Depths of Peril had the polish of Din's Curse and included all the "upgrades", it would be a better game.

Depths of Peril AI is alive.
The fights against AI feels like "PVP", its very entertaining and you cant find 0% of it in Din's Curse.
Everything the other Covenants do add another layer of dinamism to the game.
Depths of Peril' World gives a better feeling of persistance.

savatage
12-23-2010, 05:45 AM
I downloaded the demo of DoP and couldn't get into it. I liked Kivi's Underworld and would recomend that before DoP. It's a much more casual game. In DC, I'm on edge always worried the town gonna be attacked when there's no portal close by. KU will keep your blood pressure down.

DeathKnight1728
12-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Kivi's Underworld deserves a lot more recognition that it gets. The game really is the complete opposite of both the other games but I still love playing it. While dop has its unique flavor and is very tough from the covenants, dins is tough due to the fact that like you said its like diablo 2 on speed. The reason that kivis underworld will always have the most uniqueness is due to the fact that you dont have to be a expert in action/rpgs to play it. Anyone can play it and still be challenged. The fact that i played kivi's underworld and beat it before i got dins curse is much more satisfying largely because a lot of the new skills that were put in dins curse that were really helpful (block, shuriken) started off in kivis underworld. Most people might not like ku that much, but i still think it had the biggest amount of roleplaying.