PDA

View Full Version : Some questions re: diplomacy and colonization

tk421storm
01-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Love the game! Have been playing it non-stop since I read about it in RPS. Really fun and interesting.

I'm level 50, and on the most recent sector I played something strange happened. I was going for a conquest/diplomacy victory, and allied myself with the second highest power (as per the "rankings" in the relations screen), and set about destroying number one.

However, when I looked closer into it, it seemed the disparity between the two couldn't be larger. Number 2 (dryad) has 5 planets and around 30 ships, while number 1 (talon) has 33! In all of my games, I had never seen an empire spread as rapidly as that. I had previously abandoned games on large sectors because no one was colonizing past a 5-7 planet range, and I couldn't use jump gates in sectors in between.

So I started rolling talon, destroying planets, but I couldn't get that number lower than 31 - they were creating new planets as fast as I was destroying them! It would be helpful if my ally (who was also destroying planets at a rapid clip) would start to colonize the recently destroyed planets, but they refused. Dryad wouldn't colonize any more than the 5 they had, while Talon seemed disinterested in doing anything BUT colonizing.

So my question relates to the power ranking - they were both equal in technology, but Talon had 6x the number of planets and ships, and yet was only barely edging out dryad on the graph. Had I known about the HUGE difference in power I never would've allied with Dryad, and the ranking graph led me to believe I could shift the balance of power easily.

What explains this weird behavior? I've played 20+ sectors, and I've never seen something so crazy.

Shadow
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
There must have been something else that was in the Dryads favor that was balancing things out. I probably need to go and make sure the power numbers are balanced though.

tk421storm
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Relatedly, I couldn't figure out why there was such a severe difference in the strength of the ships for dryad and talon. Their technology level was the same, like I said, somewhere around 38. But once I got through the shields and armor of the talon ships, they were paper. The dryad ships however took about 100 hits. Is there any way to tell what I'm up against?

Shadow
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Once targeted you can look at their shields, armor, and structure levels.