PDA

View Full Version : Safer cave-ins

Shadow
04-26-2010, 01:45 PM
People have mentioned that cave-ins are something that is preventing them from trying out hardcore mode, so I have made a mod that makes cave-ins much safer by halving their damage. You can grab it from the Din's Curse mod page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html). As usual it's a really small mod so it would be easy to further tweak.

NTJedi
11-20-2010, 03:37 PM
People have mentioned that cave-ins are something that is preventing them from trying out hardcore mode, so I have made a mod that makes cave-ins much safer by halving their damage. You can grab it from the Din's Curse mod page (http://www.soldak.com/Dins-Curse/Mods.html). As usual it's a really small mod so it would be easy to further tweak.

I lost two level_14 hardcore characters at 100% health from cave-ins. Cave-ins should be fixed to prevent instant death... if a character is at 100% life and then the only other damage which arrives is from cave-ins the character should be at 1 hitpoint instead of zero. Dying "only" because rocks fall on your head is an unfair death.

Any one specifc source of damage which kills a character at 100% life within less than 1/2 a second never gives the player any chance. I'm always afraid some boss monster will kill my high level hardcore characters with one strike... never giving me a chance to run, heal, etc., etc., .

Manumitted
11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Any one specifc source of damage which kills a character at 100% life within less than 1/2 a second never gives the player any chance. I'm always afraid some boss monster will kill my high level hardcore characters with one strike... never giving me a chance to run, heal, etc., etc., .

Well, you should be afraid. Random one-shottings are a part of this game, especially at higher levels, and a major reason why I don't play hardcore. I got one-shotted three times last night in under 75 seconds by some unimpressive (-6 to my level) opposition. Three very lucky criticals on each jerkmob's first swing.

I too am using the Safer Cave-Ins mod, but it hasn't stopped incidents like the following:
1. My L8 Stalker paused only about one second before retreating from an imminent cave-in, but her 80% speed bonus did not save her from taking her hardest hit ever to the tune of almost half her max HP, despite no rubble being visible onscreen at the time of the clobbering.
2. Another character is a full screen away from the cave-in at standard zoom and still moving further away when it goes off with no warning. I get hit for 182. I run back to check on the local vendor, who was right under the cave-in. He got hit for at most 13 (he'd just been in a fight). His armor--leather--is no better than mine.

The damage and escapability of cave-ins even with "safer cave-ins" are just so random and unfair that I can't imagine playing hardcore.