PDA

View Full Version : Paladin stuff

TheRani
04-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Would it be too unbalancing to allow the Paladin's Stunning blow and Crushing blow skills to affect spells too, instead of only melee attacks? I think it'd make the tree a little more useful for priests who don't specialize in the mace & shield melee thing, not to mention a more interesting option for hybrid casters. It'd be neat if you could have holy lightning bolts with a nice chance of stunning, or holy bolts with a nice chance of crushing blow.

iligiann
05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
This is a very nice idea and I don't think it would be too unbalancing since mages and conjurers also have ways to stun or immobilize the mobs.

Furthermore priests needs an increase in damage to holy fire (maybe bringing it on par with fireball ) and a massive damage boost to holy symbol. Right now they are short of useless skills. Playing a melee priest is ok, but a caster priest is a very slow killer and unlike Depths of Peril, in Din you don't have henchmen doing the killing for you ;)

Shadow
05-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I'll look at it (the paladin and priest stuff).

elsol69
05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
In a hybrid, i think it would unbalance.

Paladin/Fire Mage would have Regeneration, shield mastery, mace mastery, can buy use of mail, and two supporting skills to up the damage and add stun to the cheapest skill point and mana cost versus damage spell in the game (Fire Blast + Fire Mastery). Basically giving, a fire mage a thunderbolt on the down low.

Expensive character from a skill point perspective becuase you'd have spread the points out fairly thinly... but I'd sign up for it twice.

(Mathematically, sorcerer might benefit more because it would give the cheaper spell lightning blast stun and lightning master increases critical spell chance.)

Kruztee
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
From a purely roleplaying perspective it does make sense that bolt or ball spells might have a chance to stun. I do kind of like the idea.

TheRani
05-04-2010, 07:55 PM
In a hybrid, i think it would unbalance.

Paladin/Fire Mage would have Regeneration, shield mastery, mace mastery, can buy use of mail, and two supporting skills to up the damage and add stun to the cheapest skill point and mana cost versus damage spell in the game (Fire Blast + Fire Mastery). Basically giving, a fire mage a thunderbolt on the down low.

Expensive character from a skill point perspective becuase you'd have spread the points out fairly thinly... but I'd sign up for it twice.

(Mathematically, sorcerer might benefit more because it would give the cheaper spell lightning blast stun and lightning master increases critical spell chance.)

Giving a Paladin/Fire Mage a "thunderbolt on the down low" would require a serious investment in Stunning blow. You'd have to crank that puppy up to like what, 49? If someone is willing to invest very heavily in three different skills (Stunning blow, Fire blast, and Fire Mastery), they deserve something that good.

iligiann
05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Unfortunately, that was valid at ver 1.000. At 1.001, if I understand it correctly, stunning blow has a 2% base chance increased by 10% per skill level. :( So, you can get 2-10% stunning chance at max. That's a massive investment to make 1 out of 10 firebolts stun the enemy.

TheRani
05-04-2010, 09:50 PM
Unfortunately, that was valid at ver 1.000. At 1.001, if I understand it correctly, stunning blow has a 2% base chance increased by 10% per skill level. :( So, you can get 2-10% stunning chance at max. That's a massive investment to make 1 out of 10 firebolts stun the enemy.

Ick. That's kinda worthless.

Kruztee
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM

Yes, I think that's correct.

The chance of stunning blow is not affected by any of the primary attributes (like critical hit or crushing blow are by INT and STR respectively). The base chance is 2% or 1 proc in 50. At lvl 10 stunning blow, the bonus is 100% of the 2% base for a total of 4%. That's still only a 1 in 20 chance. Are you really going to be able to put that many points into stunning blow as a caster Paladin? That's 55 points just to get an extra 2% chance of a stunning blow. It gets more ridiculous the more points you put into it. The only possible way to make a strat like this viable is to find some gear with massive bonus to stunning blow (if such gear even exists). A 200% bonus from gear with a lvl 10 stunning blow skill might just get it into the realms of viable, but even then you're only looking less than a 1 in 10 proc rate, as iligiann points out.

Perhaps if the chance of stunning blow was affected by points in SPI or something like that? As it is SPI is only good in a very, very small number characters, most hybrids waste any points put into it.

DeathKnight1728
05-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I still dont get it. Are there any stats "attached" to stunning blow?

Example: Dex/Deep Wounds. Strength/Crushing Blow

Isn't there a stat attached?

Kruztee
05-05-2010, 01:14 AM
I still dont get it. Are there any stats "attached" to stunning blow?

Example: Dex/Deep Wounds. Strength/Crushing Blow

Isn't there a stat attached?

No. That was my point.

elsol69
05-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Giving a Paladin/Fire Mage a "thunderbolt on the down low" would require a serious investment in Stunning blow. You'd have to crank that puppy up to like what, 49? If someone is willing to invest very heavily in three different skills (Stunning blow, Fire blast, and Fire Mastery), they deserve something that good.

The statistics sold me (10 levels for 1 in 20... yuck!) -- I thought it was much better than that considering how effective thunderbolt is at stunning.

TheRani
05-05-2010, 03:41 AM
The statistics sold me (10 levels for 1 in 20... yuck!) -- I thought it was much better than that considering how effective thunderbolt is at stunning.

Until that last patch, it actually was pretty nice, for melee at least. Now it isn't good for anybody.

Shadow
05-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Seems I should at least boost stunning blows back up. The change for the last patch was to get it to work like everything else in the game, not to nerf it (not that I'm against nerfs).

TheRani
05-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Seems I should at least boost stunning blows back up. The change for the last patch was to get it to work like everything else in the game, not to nerf it (not that I'm against nerfs).

If you want to make it work like everything else in the game, it would kind of necessitate tying it to a stat.

graffen69
05-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Kruztee wrote As it is SPI is only good in a very, very small number characters, most hybrids waste any points put into it

Indeed. Out of 15 Toons i havenīt spent one single point on any of them on Spirit. At higher levels i would, for the healing classes but early on only boosting Str for Chain or Plate and Mace use and the occasional Vitality.

TheRani
05-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Kruztee wrote

Indeed. Out of 15 Toons i havenīt spent one single point on any of them on Spirit. At higher levels i would, for the healing classes but early on only boosting Str for Chain or Plate and Mace use and the occasional Vitality.

My priestess is the only one of my 7 characters who invests in Spirit.