PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on NPCs

Denubis
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
First: A point of irritation. NPCs do not get all of the PC skills to choose from randomly. Not even in their last 2-3 slots.

Secondly: A point of optimization: If you save and exit, NPCs restat. This is *incredibly* useful, because now you can just judge incoming NPCs according to their level. In about 6 minutes of respawning a priest, by the way, never once did she have healing. Most irksome.

Finally: For you other folks, what NPC skills do you like the best?

AnalogKid
11-06-2007, 08:56 PM
In my opinion, a priest follower with Hardiness is the most useful NPC in the game. I love it if they have mail armor as their 2nd useful skill, because then they won't keep wasting skill points on something that's not hardiness. :)

As for covenant NPCs, I generally just go with the highest levels I can find. I have a slight preference for casters, because they can concentrate fire and don't waste time running to their next target, but I'll take a melee type if they're a few levels higher. One note, if you have a covenant Priest NPC with Hardiness that is not your follower, she will auto-cast Hardiness on everyone standing around, and GREATLY increase your lifestone health in the process.

As for priest NPCs with healing, it has been mentioned that they purposely do not get healing for balance reasons. This is also why NPCs don't get access to some skills (well, that and probably the AI wouldn't make good use of some). If you want healing, you gotta be a Priest yourself... I know, I know, big penalty, huh?

Denubis
11-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Somewhat annoying, but understandable.

And I agree, spending 8 minutes restarting so you get a priest with hardiness and mail is very much worthwhile. While I couldn't stand playing my rogue past 10th level, rogues make amazing NPCs for in the fields. Stealth + spot vuln means my NPC is usually doing around 500 damage a hit.

Would you like to collaborate on an updated guide for the full game?

AnalogKid
11-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Sure, the only issue I have is that I've been playing the full game more "deep" than "wide", in the sense of driving my Mage to the end without really trying lots of different combinations of skills/classes. So I can contribute a lot based on the way I play, but I don't really think I've been looking at it from a game coverage standpoint.

Perhaps we should start some game guide threads for the main game, one per class. We should collaborate among the entire forum and update the first post with "collective wisdom".

I would feel comfortable authoring and editing the Mage and Warrior guides, and I'd be happy to contribute to the others in terms of discussion and analysis.

To start thinking about things, I'll propose the following major topics, which can be distributed across different threads as appropriate and eventually collected into a single gamfaqs-like document:

- Mage Class (skills, equipment, play strategies)
- Warrior Class
- Rogue Class
- Priest Class
- Classes (high level comparison)
- NPCs (follower & covenant members)
- Covenant Relations

Others?

Shadow
11-08-2007, 04:31 PM
I would also like to see a lot of this btw. This would give me a better idea of how people see each of the classes.