PDA

View Full Version : Escalon: Book II

Amberjoy
04-28-2010, 01:08 AM
We've been pushing Din's Curse over on Basilisk Games so I thought everyone here would like to know the second book is coming soon. See below:

(sorry if this is a no no, but as a Beta tester, I'm hoping you'll like it as much as I did Din's Curse. :) )

Basilisk Games Announces the Release Date for Eschalon: Book II

Indianapolis, IN - April 27, 2010 - Basilisk Games, Inc. today announced the release date for Eschalon: Book II for Windows, Macintosh and Linux.

"We are very excited to finally be able to announce the release dates to our second game, Eschalon: Book II, after more than two years of development" said Thomas Riegsecker, Lead Developer of the Eschalon series. "Eschalon: Book II is considerably bigger and better than the first game, and incorporates over 60 fan-suggested enhancements."

Eschalon: Book II is scheduled for release on May 12th, 2010 for Windows based computers. Basilisk Games will release the Macintosh and Linux versions of the game on May 26th, 2010. Eschalon: Book II will be available as a digital download on most major distribution services and directly from Basilisk Games website.

About Eschalon: Book II

Eschalon: Book II is the sequel to 2007's hit independent role-playing game, Eschalon: Book I. Continue your journey across massive outdoor environments and deep into twisted dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of your past and who is behind the menace that threatens all of Eschalon. No experience with the first game is needed to enjoy this second chapter in the Eschalon trilogy. More information on the game and links to the video trailer can be found online at: http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon_book_ii

About Basilisk Games

Founded in 2005, Basilisk Games is an independent game developer located in Indianapolis, Indiana. The company's mission is to produce compelling old-school computer role-playing games for gamers who still remember what great computer RPGs used to be about: "Single-player. Turn-based. Stat heavy. Story driven." Visit Basilisk Games online at: http://basiliskgames.com

Contact Info
For press inquires, contact us at: info@basiliskgames.com

Shadow
04-28-2010, 09:32 AM
This is perfectly fine with me, I was planning on posting something when it came out anyway.

dnuggs40
04-28-2010, 09:34 AM
I almost purchased the first one, but never ended doing so. The new one looks great though! I am glad they are making it sorta stand alone too, so my missing of the first game won't hamper my experience with the new one.

Warfran
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
This game looks interesting for sure.

Because of Din's Curse Indie games have really captured my interest this year with their quality of gameplay.

Been trying Spiderweb's Avernum 6 demo also and have been surprised by how good the story is as well as the gameplay. Still wish it had the graphics of Din's, but it looks like I'll be buying this one anyway. Forgot how much I liked turn based games.

I used to not pay attention to these games because of their graphics, but having gotten bored with a lot of the AAA games recently these games have taken over all my gaming time.

Jorlen
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
This game looks interesting for sure.

Because of Din's Curse Indie games have really captured my interest this year with their quality of gameplay.

Been trying Spiderweb's Avernum 6 demo also and have been surprised by how good the story is as well as the gameplay. Still wish it had the graphics of Din's, but it looks like I'll be buying this one anyway. Forgot how much I liked turn based games.

I used to not pay attention to these games because of their graphics, but having gotten bored with a lot of the AAA games recently these games have taken over all my gaming time.

I'm in the same boat. I stepped out of PC gaming for a few years, but lately I've had the taste to delve back in. What I find now however, is that most AAA PC games are console ports (when it used to be the other way around) and are primarily designed to target a wide audience in order to sell hundreds of thousands, if not millions of copies. For the most part, this translates into games being easier / more accessible (dumbing them down) whilst looking prettier, with a few notable exceptions of course. Then they go and slap on some really nasty DRM, which means that I will not even consider the product in this state.

For me, it's always been about gameplay first, and graphics come in afterwards. So I wholeheartedly agree with you, and I've enjoyed exploring the indie scene so far. And I like what I'm finding! Quality gaming at affordable prices, and we get to support indie devs which feels pretty damn good to boot.

udm
04-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Eschalon Book I was very good, though I haven't got the full game yet. I intend to buy them during this semester break though.

Those of you who like old school games, you should check it out. It's awesome.

Shadow
05-12-2010, 10:00 AM
Looks like Eschalon: Book II is available now for Windows here (http://basiliskgames.com/eschalon-book-ii-for-windows-now-available).

Jorlen
05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone here playing book 2?

I'm curious about the game, even though it's not really the type of RPG I like (I prefer action RPGs mainly).

How well does it scale in resolution? What I love about Din's is even at 1920x1080 on a TV the UI and resolutions scale better than any game I've ever played. Take for example King's Bounty, it can run at 720 / 1080p but the UI does not increase fonts, so it's impossible to play on my setup (which is a shame).

Any other opinions?

dnuggs40
05-12-2010, 02:48 PM
Says 1024X768 native resolution...whatever that means (best viewed in 1024X768 or is that the only resolution?). The last game I had to run in a window though so this might be similar.

Anyways, the game seems a bit expensive so I'm going to wait on some of the reviews first. Looks cool though...

Jorlen
05-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Says 1024X768 native resolution...whatever that means (best viewed in 1024X768 or is that the only resolution?). The last game I had to run in a window though so this might be similar.

Anyways, the game seems a bit expensive so I'm going to wait on some of the reviews first. Looks cool though...

Hrm I thought I saw in their forums something about resolutions. I guess the only way to truly know is to fire up the demo!

I thought the price was fair, same as DC - that is, $25 for digital download.

dnuggs40
05-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Sorry didn't mean it wasn't fair...just it's now priced out of "impulse buy" territory :p

ecliptic
05-23-2010, 04:14 AM
This weekend, on sale for $18.72!

http://www.impulsedriven.com/eschalonbookii

Amberjoy
05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Mac and Linux versions will be released this coming Wed. May 26th. DVD version with all 3 computer types (PC, Mac, Linux) will be sent out first part of June.

There have been several update versions for PC so make sure you get the latest. We beta testers didn't find all the bugs and typo's so PC users were testers too. :D Oh, look on the forums for the link to latest versions.

Have fun, I am! :D

dnuggs40
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
For that price I think I'll pick it up!

Amberjoy
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
DVD Update

It looks like the DVDs will be finished next Monday, June 7th. The moment the discs arrive at the studio, we will start packing them up and sending them out in the order they were purchased.

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

Posted: June 1st, 2010 under News.

just thought those who'd bought them can look foreward to getting soon.

DeathKnight1728
07-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I haven't been playing Din's in a while (too lost on what is the most uberclass). I've been playing this game-Eschalon 2 for a little over a week and i will say it is fun. I havent been this siked playin a rpg (isometric), in a while. The turnbased works too and thats very tough for me to say cause I usually hate turnbased. The only thing I have gripes about are that there isnt enough games like it.

Amberjoy
07-30-2010, 12:47 AM
I haven't been playing Din's in a while (too lost on what is the most uberclass). I've been playing this game-Eschalon 2 for a little over a week and i will say it is fun. I havent been this siked playin a rpg (isometric), in a while. The turnbased works too and thats very tough for me to say cause I usually hate turnbased. The only thing I have gripes about are that there isnt enough games like it.

Aman brother! I want more turnbased rpg's too. I'm an elder (65) and my brain doesn't work fast enough for real time games. Din's Curse is the only one I keep on trying. I love Eschalon: Book 2, but then I helped Beta test it too so of course I like it! :D

DeathKnight1728
07-30-2010, 01:15 AM
I can play action rpgs, but like you said i enjoy a good ol low paced rpg like baldurs gate 2. Plus there is so much i havent done in the game, it's amazing. Right now im playing a monk/ranger/rogue class. Unarmed is powerful! To top it all off, I restarted that game just as many times as din's curse. Thats got to say something.

Amberjoy
09-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Update News:

Just announced today...and its FREE! :

[Q] What is "The Secret of Fathamurk?"
[A] It is a new, high-level adventure for Eschalon: Book II which gives the game an additional 5-10 hours of gameplay.

[Q] Is it a seperate game?
[A] No, it's an extension of Eschalon: Book II. If you already have Eschalon: Book II, you'll be able to play The Secret of Fathamurk.

[Q] Ah, so it's another scheme by you wealthy, money-grubbing developers to get us to buy downloadable content, right?
[A] No, it is a free extention to the game. You just need to own the original game Eschalon: Book II.

[Q] So I don't have to pay for it?
[A] Nope. We love you and this is our gift to you for being a customer. But if you really want to help us, please mention our games on your Twitter feed, or on your Facebook page, or your blog. Or if you've been playing Book II and you didn't actually buy it, please consider purchasing a copy now. Your support allows us to make make more games for you!

[Q] How do I get it?
[A] The additional content will be included with version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II. When this version becomes available in October, you just need to redownload the game and install it. The new content is already integrated into the game.

[Q] How do I see the new content?
[A] Once inside the game, you need to go to the Farrock Caves. In the western part of the caves is a sealed hallway, beyond which is a stairwell going down. The new content is down there, in the dungeons of Fathamurk.

[Q] The Farrock Caves? Where/what is that?
[A] It's a series of caves southwest of Port Kuudad. Using the Quick Travel function, you can jump to "The Farrock Monolith" to reach the southeast entrace of the caves. The stairs down to Fathamurk are in the western section of the caves, beyond a sealed wall (take some powder kegs with you!). If you need more help, the nice people who hang out on our forums will give you some guidance.

[Q] What skill level is this new content intended for?
[A] The new content is designed for high-level characters- level 15 or above. So you have three options:

1) Start a new game and build your charcater up to at least level 15.
2) Load a previously saved game (any game saved before you reach the end of the main storyline in Eschalon: Book II) and use a character that has already reached that level.
3) Try your luck with a lower-level character. Perhaps you'll have the smarts and fortitude to make it through alive, but don't send us hate mail telling us the add-on was too hard for your level 3 Theif. Trust us, Fathamurk is a tough place!

[Q] Is this additional content part of the main storyline in Book II?
[A] No, it doesn't affect the main storyline at all. You can play the game and never even visit this new dungeon, and it won't change your game one bit. But for true fans of the game, there will be some clues in Fathamurk regarding the true nature of the Orakur!

[Q] What else is notable about version 1.05 of Eschalon: Book II?
[A] Quite a bit, actually! There are a large number of updates to the game engine as well as additional content to other areas* of the game world in addition to Fathamurk dungeon. For example, the Zoolological ruins outside Port Kuudad have been expanded and additional ememies have been added to several areas of the game, just to list a few of the updates.

*While the special add-on content of "Fathamurk Dungeon" can be enjoyed through any previously saved game, some additional content to other areas of the game world may not be viewable without starting a new adventure with a new character.

Amberjoy
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
More update news! Free add on adventure just released. If you already have the game just download the 1.05 version and continue on with your currant character. Some other additions have been added, like the 'zoo' area. The adventure "The Secret of Fathamurk" is HARD and ment to be that way. Don't try it with a low level character!

Where to get it: Click on Download page - http://basiliskgames.com/

DeathKnight1728
10-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info amber. I used to play a lot of eschalon 2, but it was a little too slow for me. Still a great game. What really got me into the game even more than the game itself was the awesome theme music.

Amberjoy
10-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info amber. I used to play a lot of eschalon 2, but it was a little too slow for me. Still a great game. What really got me into the game even more than the game itself was the awesome theme music.

Slow? Humm, might be. Later version some parts have been speeded up. Some of the problem was what version of computer you were using. It does get a wee slow in some sections because of all the art work/lights being produced, at least on my Mac G4. Laptop, it zips all over the place.

I forgot to mention on the update...for Mac version it only works on intel chips machines. Something to do with the program the game is written in so that the add-on won't work on older machines. Luckily I have both, big G4 and a laptop. :)

DeathKnight1728
10-30-2010, 08:33 PM
The thing is the game isnt slow for everyone else. But i am used to playing games like diablo 2 where every moment you are not paying attention you are either dead or soon to be. The game itself is great. The only other thing is i would like it if they could implement a real time based action mode. That way it would please the baldurs gate fans and the turnbased fans all at once. Im more a fan of real time, but turn based is still cool. Either way if they did that, would increase the playability much more.