PDA

View Full Version : LAN Multiplayer connection problems

phaz0r
01-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Hi all,

My roommate and I are having some trouble here getting LAN games connected lately. When we first started our ships, everything worked fine and still occasionally does. So, we're not sure what's going on but here's what happens when we can't get connected.

"Indefinitely Waiting for Server"

Client Side: Upon connection attempt - Message "Waiting for server" goes nowhere.
Host Side: Can see connected client in MULTI list; but not actively on screen anywhere. (No green dot on radar; nor physically in the system)

The above rarely gets any further than that. We waited 20 minutes once and it never left that screen. Also, if the client exits the game and retries, the next time they see the server listed, it shows 2/3 connected to the server when only the host is on - with their previous connection attempt still apparently stuck in limbo.

"Successfully Connected" - no, not really

Client side: Connects and sees the "Successfully Connected, click OK to join." screen, clicks OK to join session, gets a black screen and does not connect or connects after a few minutes.
Client side: If connected after the above wait, client finds that warpgates are inactive and no races have been discovered.
Host side: Can see other player connected and ship in-game while client still on black screen. Host can see other player physically in the system but in the wrong starting location and vulnerable to damage/destruction by other ships.

This one is a bit more annoying; if you do manage to get connected after the black screen, the sector is completely out of sync (for lack of a better description.)

Meaning this:
The client isn't correctly bound to the initial warpgate and cannot use any other active warpgates - since they can't discover any races, all systems are therefore deemed "uninhabited" and the gates are simply not usable; inhabited system or not. While this is occurring, the host can discover a new race for the first time but the client does not. However, everything works fine for the host.

So that's pretty much it. I can give more details such as system specs, network details etc. if you guys need it.

Otherwise, great game Soldak, thanks for listening.

Shadow
01-11-2013, 06:11 PM
That's strange. Is it possible for you to email me the save game from the host computer of one of these games that is giving you this trouble?

droxop55
01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Ah, for a while now, I thought the 'client seeing solar systems as uninhabited on rejoin' was just a problem I was having.

A similar thread I started:
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22654

Our network has this issue as well.

Something that may, or may not help:
Host server is windows Vista.
Client connecting is winXP SP3.

Also, we too experience a long join time for games that have been running for hours. Generally this is how our connections go:

1) Find LAN server in list
2) Waiting on server
3) Wait about 30 seconds
4) Successfully Connected!
5) Click OK
6) Wait at black screen for 2-5 minutes with green text in the lower left corner of 'Welcome to Drox Operative' (or something like that).
7) Game client joins fully, and I can play as normal.

Now, here is more info that I have uncovered after some time:

1) My father and I LAN at his house on a galaxy for 6-7 hours. Save and quit for both of us, pick up the next day.
2) LAN server starts up, client tries to join (see 1-7 for what happens next)
3) Play for a while, save and quit. I drive back to my house in a different city.
4) Father starts server up as an Internet game.
5) I join his internet game.
6) After a few seconds 'Connected Successfully!'
7) Black screen for about 1 second, sometimes less
8) Game client joins fully.

Internet games usually connect right on up without an issue, maybe 3 seconds total to connect from finding the game in the list to being in the galaxy and being shot at.

1-8 happen on this setup:
Server is windows Vista.
Client is windws XP SP3.
(Its the same setup as his house, specs are basically the same)

However, the warpgates and galaxies are still listed as uninhabited for an internet game, so that part of the puzzle is different than the connecting (I think).

So, perhaps this is TCP vs UDP networking (if LAN is UDP, maybe it is TCP, I didnt really check)

Thanks for a great game, we have poured hours into it and, infact, I am about to log another block of hours as I type this!

phaz0r
01-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Save files are on the way Shadow; I sent them off to your support address.
Thank you!

@droxop55:

Nice writeup there; pretty much same scenario as what we're seeing here as well. As far as our network here: 2 - Win7 x64 Pro PC's on a 1gb LAN connected through an Asus RT-N56U router.

We have only played it over LAN here but I have already forwarded the relevant ports through the firewall just in case we decide to play over the net at some point with other friends.

droxop55
02-01-2013, 08:31 PM
I see that beta patch 1.002 is available.

Perhaps, has there been any luck fixing the disappear warpage issues for clients that rejoin hosted games?

Shadow
02-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Perhaps, has there been any luck fixing the disappear warpage issues for clients that rejoin hosted games?

I have not had any luck fixing any multiplayer issues yet. I hope to focus on multiplayer a bit more in the next patch.

droxop55
02-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted! :)

Shadow
02-06-2013, 07:56 PM
phaz0r, using your save game I'm not seeing the same behavior. However, I did fix 3 other multiplayer bugs first, so it's possible one of those helped. After the next patch, it would be nice to hear if your LAN problems are better or not.

phaz0r
02-15-2013, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up Shadow; will make some attempts when 1.003 is out of beta.

Desticato
09-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Actually, my wife and I used to have these problems in Din's all the time.

We've found that the same thing is happening in Drox. Most of the time we just give up and roll new ships, because once the problem starts, it seems the only solution is to 1) have a new ship created and join the existing saved server with the higher level character or 2) start completely from scratch.

We can try multiple scenarios, but we're definitely experiencing what was outlined in the first post. Two ships which have been playing together since they were created are suddenly having connection issue. If I try to join my wife's sector (new or otherwise), I get the indefinite connection attempt. If she joins mine, she gets the black screen.

Off to do some more testing.

Shadow
09-25-2013, 12:09 PM
It's an old ship, not an old sector that seems to give problems?

Desticato
09-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I believe so. I started with a fresh install on a new machine I built a few weeks ago. My wife and I both rolled Scavengers and played to our mid-30s. When I got the infinite connect screen, we swapped and I tried hosting. She gets the black screen but I can see her ship in game and even examine it.

I found an old folder from last year with some of my old ships (one of each race) before the expansion and tried copying one of them over (Human, level 67). I tried a new sector and experienced the same problem.

If I create an entirely new ship and start an MP game, the problem goes away. If I'm hosting and my wife makes a new one, she can join, so the only way we can keep playing is if one of us 'starts over.' This is less than ideal, of course, since a level 38 Expert level system will chew up a new ship.

I'd be willing to try any other scenarios you can think of. Thanks for the quick response, Steven!

Shadow
09-27-2013, 03:48 PM
I still can't reproduce this. Can someone with this problem email me the 2 characters and the world files that they are having issues with?

Desticato
10-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Apologies, Steven, but I'm in the middle of troubleshooting a new build and haven't had the time to devote to this issue that I would like.

For the heck of it, I started up a new ship with a friend who had never played before. After finishing a sector or two, the problem cropped-up. Our ships were only between levels five and eight at the time. It occurred to me that the only thing that had changed between games was that I had equipped one or more items from my Shared Stash, which as I leveled I was finally able to use.

When we flipped who was hosting, I expected to get the black-screen-never-enter-sector issue mentioned previously. Interestingly enough, the session worked fine and we played until a Fear win. However, I fully expect that if we swapped who was hosting again, the problem would return.

As I have the ships/worlds/sectors/saves for each of these two scenarios, is it safe to assume that you'd want both for comparison? Also, I haven't e-mailed you files in quite some time--what's the best way to get them to you?

Thanks for looking into this!

Shadow
10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Saves for both scenarios would be helpful. My email address is on our contact page (http://www.soldak.com/Company/Contact.html).

Pistolectomy
03-14-2014, 11:34 AM
Ok so we did some testing and it would seem there is an issue with the MTU packet file size. I don't fully understand it, except to say one of my mates had his reduced to around 1200 I think. The default via windows is 1472. Basically packets over the network, regardless of network, were being broken up in order to be able to even send them.
At a rough guess, because the MTU size wasn't large enough, any time the game would send character data ( this is a guess and the actual data being sent received is unknown to us) it would cause the game to not let the player into the server because it would seem that the data being sent was too large for the MTU packet size to cope with.

Essentially after all that crap I just said, once my mate fixed the mtu to the normal settings or better, he was suddenly able to connect into games, regardless of old characters or new.

I believe you can set your networks MTU some how but I don't know how to. But according to my mate it was fairly easily done.

Hope this helps.

damion
03-16-2014, 08:10 PM
Ok so we did some testing and it would seem there is an issue with the MTU packet file size. I don't fully understand it, except to say one of my mates had his reduced to around 1200 I think. The default via windows is 1472. Basically packets over the network, regardless of network, were being broken up in order to be able to even send them.
At a rough guess, because the MTU size wasn't large enough, any time the game would send character data ( this is a guess and the actual data being sent received is unknown to us) it would cause the game to not let the player into the server because it would seem that the data being sent was too large for the MTU packet size to cope with.

Essentially after all that crap I just said, once my mate fixed the mtu to the normal settings or better, he was suddenly able to connect into games, regardless of old characters or new.

I believe you can set your networks MTU some how but I don't know how to. But according to my mate it was fairly easily done.

Hope this helps.

Hi All, just to clarify how we fixed this problem

1. Download and install Wireshark, Start a packet capture on the interface in question for the client and server then attempt a join to the server.

2. Confirm your packets are being fragmented (easily seen in the ws logs) then run a ping command forcing a packet size to determine which interfaces are problem

ping <Router IP> -f -l 1472 (my local ADSL router)
ping <Server IP> -f -l 1472 (Evolve VPN host IP etc.)

Chances are you will get a reply from ping as "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set."

3. Determine the names of your interface devices, Open a command prompt and run "netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces" and take note of the names.

6. Change your MTU to stop the packet fragmenting, Open a command prompt and run "netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1460 store=persistent"

7. Repeat on other problem interfaces such as your VPN client etc.

Steven, can you confirm if this is a bug in the netcode for your engine and how it handles packets? Also it seems specific to ship/save file complexity/size. Does the the initial handshake code between client/server have a ship discriptor that can increase in size to over 1 packet and break as the ship gets more complex as the handshake doesnt handle fragmented packets?