PDA

View Full Version : A few modding questions

Terraziel
01-12-2013, 08:14 AM
I got bored one day so started creating a mod for my own amusement. Most of what I wanted to do turned out to be surprisingly easy but a few things have cropped up, and for a few it's just asking for confirmation of my assumptions

At the moment if a ship gets Negative thrust, the thrust stat disappears and the ship gets a default speed of 100. I assume that this is a function of the engine over which I have no control?

I created a weapon where one of the drawbacks was that you have to remain stationary to fire it. Now firstly I feel like i have missed a simple way of toggling that as an option.
But as it stands what I have done is applied a status effect to the component which prevents movement. This is almost perfect, the problem is that trying to use the weapon when it's on recharge applies the status effect for a fraction of a second, which is a bit annoying.

So the real question is, is there a way to make a weapon do two skills at once, one that would apply the status effect to you, the other which would be the weapon itself?

A more simple question, is there a way of making an entity weak to a certain form of damage? I tried using negative resistances but that didn't seem to do anything.

As far as I can tell nothing open to me specifies what "weight class" (heavy,medium, light) a specific slot index is, i assume that they are hard coded as 0-9 for heavy etc?

Is there a way to do bursts of projectiles? by this i mean like assault rifles three rounds in quick succession, rather than all at that same time like the current option for extra projectiles.

On the note of projectiles is there a middle ground option between it firing straight at the enemy and the 360 degree random start direction. For example a way to fire projectiles randomly within an specified arc?

A more general question, will the NPC Empires automatically have available and use any weapons/components I create or do i have to specify this somewhere?

EDIT:

One more question that has cropped up from investigating items. The item qualities, whatever the specifics are, seem to, as noted elsewhere, increase 'good' stats and decrease 'bad' stats. Is whether a stat is 'good' or 'bad' hard coded? because I have used Negative 'good' stats a few times as away of creating 'bad' stats, and because Item quality still thinks of them as 'good' they are increased, making the item worse rather than better.

EDIT2:

Ok, got another question. A Military Victory gives you one race specific item from your ally. Where is it defined what the race specific item is? basically i want to be able to add a second race specific item that would Always be given you on victory.

EDIT3:

Is there anyway to make its so that a status effect requires a status effect? basically i want to make it so that having Status Effect A means you can be affected by Status Effect B

Terraziel
01-19-2013, 10:38 PM
A couple more questions

Are set items actually hooked up in drox? because, well trying to implement them is the first thing I've tried that actually crashes the game

The second question is about item spawning. The way I assume it works is something like this

Spawn event -> Selection from Base Item List -> Item level check against valid options for that Base Item -> The rest of item generation

The reason I ask is because, if say I wanted to split Beam weapons up into two paths, i can either create an entire new tree based off something like BaseWeaponBeamType2, or (I think) I could move it a stage down and just create a new subtype called WeaponBeamType2-1-1 etc.

Now my assumption is that if i did it the latter way then Beams as a whole would have the same chance to spawn as they currently do but which one of the two you got would be a flip of the coin moment.

Whereas if i created a new base item obviously each path would have it's own relative spawn chance.

Shadow
01-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Ok, let me try to answer all of this.

Yes, if you have 0 or less thrust, it assumes a basic speed. You can't do anything about this.

You could try to set StandStillToCast to 1 in the skill and see if that will force you to be still. This is something from DC that we don't use in Drox.

I believe negative resistances should work if they have resistances in the first place to remove.

The slot types are defined in code.

No, there's no way to do burst projectiles currently.

No, you can't specify an arc to shoot projectiles.

NPCs only use a fairly limited set on components. This is defined in Database/Monsters/npcTypes.gdb. You want to look at the AutoBuildHeavyItem, AutoBuildMediumItem, and AutoBuildLightItem stuff.

The spawn system doesn't really care if a quality/modifier is good or bad.

The bonus component from a military victory comes from the ResearchTechPriorityMult in races.gdb. It will pull a component from the types that the race has a multiplier above 1.0.

I don't think a status effect can require another status effect.

I haven't tested set items in Drox, but I don't know of any reason why they wouldn't work.

The spawn system really only sees the individual spawnable components, not the entire tree. It doesn't even know about BaseWeaponBeam directly. It will get values from BaseWeaponBeam but that's just because the database stuff inherits properties from its parent.

Terraziel
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for the responses, much obliged.